The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlazingEtem

Meet Your New Ducks: Max Jones And Sam Steel

On 10/24/2016 at 1:41 AM, BlazingEtem said:

If anyone is wondering how these 2 are doing as of tonight:

Steel: 20pts in 10 games for Regina

Jones: 15(!) points in 6 games for London

B)

Jones in particular looks great.  Kid is showing some real offensive ability, to go along with his grit and skating.

Steel is still a wildcard. He has a very high hockey IQ and several tools that are above average, but nothing that really stands out. I'm like cerebral players like him, but i think it will be a few years before we know what we really have. He's the real sleeper in our system right now.

6 minutes ago, liquid13 said:

Jones in particular looks great.  Kid is showing some real offensive ability, to go along with his grit and skating.

Steel is still a wildcard. He has a very high hockey IQ and several tools that are above average, but nothing that really stands out. I'm like cerebral players like him, but i think it will be a few years before we know what we really have. He's the real sleeper in our system right now.

Hopefully we get another Rakell or Prime Vermette with him. Heck, I'd even settle for an Amac. Something that makes the Leafs pay.

1 hour ago, liquid13 said:

I feel like if Steel could spend time in the NCAA, he'll do really well when the time comes to join the big club. Different kind of maturation. But I'm not sure how it works if he's already playing major junior.

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

Hopefully we get another Rakell or Prime Vermette with him. Heck, I'd even settle for an Amac. Something that makes the Leafs pay.

Settling for an Andy Mac? What kind of horrible human are you?! :P:P:P:P (Translation: Plbbplbbplbbplbb)

On 10/24/2016 at 1:41 AM, BlazingEtem said:

If anyone is wondering how these 2 are doing as of tonight:

Steel: 20pts in 10 games for Regina

Jones: 15(!) points in 6 games for London

B)

Liked for hard to come by news. Thanks Etem!

Does anyone know if Max Jones is still currently with the London Knights? I am going to a Kitchener Rangers game on Tuesday against the Knights, and I want to know ahead of time if I need to look for him. And is there another ducks prospect I don't know about on either team? I am not in the loop on the juniors haha.

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

Sam Steel officially a member of the Anaheim Ducks. Signed a 3 year ELC today.

kid has been tearing it up. Can't wait to see what he can do here in a couple seasons!

3 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Sam Steel officially a member of the Anaheim Ducks. Signed a 3 year ELC today.

I always get confused and mix up Sam and Max. Is Sam the finnesse guy or the tough guy? Lol

3 hours ago, codyBRUZ said:

I always get confused and mix up Sam and Max. Is Sam the finnesse guy or the tough guy? Lol

Steel is a two way forward with exceptional skating and playmaking. He currently leads the WHL in scoring. Not to shabby for a league that is more oriented to defense while Steel would be 4th in the more goal oriented OHL. 

36 minutes ago, poum said:

Steel is a two way forward with exceptional skating and playmaking. He currently leads the WHL in scoring. Not to shabby for a league that is more oriented to defense while Steel would be 4th in the more goal oriented OHL. 

Ah so Jones is the sandpaper power forward.

And cheers for the fill in, that's awesome to know. I should keep tabs on this kid, sounds promising and hopefully transitions to the pros 

1 hour ago, codyBRUZ said:

Ah so Jones is the sandpaper power forward.

And cheers for the fill in, that's awesome to know. I should keep tabs on this kid, sounds promising and hopefully transitions to the pros 

It was mentioned during the broadcast. In a moment of embarassment Hazy mentioned the last Ducks prospect to lead in scoring at that level was Perry while Ahlers corrected him on Etem. Who is still in the fold with the Ducks!

1 hour ago, poum said:

It was mentioned during the broadcast. In a moment of embarassment Hazy mentioned the last Ducks prospect to lead in scoring at that level was Perry while Ahlers corrected him on Etem. Who is still in the fold with the Ducks!

Due to the time difference I've only just finished the game but I did see the error you referred to lol it amused me a little but bummed me out too that etem didn't pan out considering all the tools he has.

If he puts in the work, he could probably be a 20 goal scorer at some stage.

Back on topic, if steel manages to put up numbers in the pros he'll be the biggest steel (pun intended) of the 2016 draft

51 minutes ago, codyBRUZ said:

Due to the time difference I've only just finished the game but I did see the error you referred to lol it amused me a little but bummed me out too that etem didn't pan out considering all the tools he has.

If he puts in the work, he could probably be a 20 goal scorer at some stage.

Back on topic, if steel manages to put up numbers in the pros he'll be the biggest steel (pun intended) of the 2016 draft

I don't follow juniors, just what I read every so often. But apparently this cat has the skating fluidity of a Fowler that he uses to draw in defenders with the vision and passing of a Getzlaf. Maybe in two, three years time the Ducks may be able to accomplish the feat of a one-timer?

[edit] I don't intend to mean any of the comparisons are as good as those are compared to. Just using comparables that we can relate to.

1 hour ago, poum said:

I don't follow juniors, just what I read every so often. But apparently this cat has the skating fluidity of a Fowler that he uses to draw in defenders with the vision and passing of a Getzlaf. Maybe in two, three years time the Ducks may be able to accomplish the feat of a one-timer?

[edit] I don't intend to mean any of the comparisons are as good as those are compared to. Just using comparables that we can relate to.

Nothing wrong with how you explained it, makes it a bit easier to understand skillset. And he very well might have those comparable skills in the juniors.

Hopefully he works hard to make it big in the NHL 

Fun Interesting tidbit but both Sam Steel and Max Jones like Getz and Perry are the same age and both share the same birthday month (Feb). Hope they could become the next twins

http://leaderpost.com/sports/hockey/regina-pats/anaheim-ducks-stole-steel-in-2016-draft

"

Sam Steel is living up to his surname, albeit with one minor spelling alteration.

The Regina Pats centre looks like the steal of the 2016 NHL entry draft after going on to register 50 goals and a WHL-best 131 points and earn Eastern Conference player-of-the-year honours.

The Anaheim Ducks, who claimed Steel with the 30th (and final) pick of the first round, must be ecstatic.

As for some other NHL teams, well, there should be some sombre second-guessing.

“I say this sort of half-jokingly, but not necessarily: They should have just listened when they asked last year,” Pats head coach and general manager John Paddock said.

“The kind of year he had — 131 points — is surprising, because that’s a lot for anybody, but they should have listened when I said that he would have had 85 points (last season) if we’d had (high-scoring right-winger) Cole Sanford all year. This is somebody who should have gone in the 15 to 20 range. They didn’t listen.”

7 hours ago, beaverbuzz said:

http://leaderpost.com/sports/hockey/regina-pats/anaheim-ducks-stole-steel-in-2016-draft

"

Sam Steel is living up to his surname, albeit with one minor spelling alteration.

The Regina Pats centre looks like the steal of the 2016 NHL entry draft after going on to register 50 goals and a WHL-best 131 points and earn Eastern Conference player-of-the-year honours.

The Anaheim Ducks, who claimed Steel with the 30th (and final) pick of the first round, must be ecstatic.

As for some other NHL teams, well, there should be some sombre second-guessing.

“I say this sort of half-jokingly, but not necessarily: They should have just listened when they asked last year,” Pats head coach and general manager John Paddock said.

“The kind of year he had — 131 points — is surprising, because that’s a lot for anybody, but they should have listened when I said that he would have had 85 points (last season) if we’d had (high-scoring right-winger) Cole Sanford all year. This is somebody who should have gone in the 15 to 20 range. They didn’t listen.”

So is he saying that Steel hit 131 due to having Cole Sanford playing with him?? 

8 hours ago, RobD360 said:

So is he saying that Steel hit 131 due to having Cole Sanford playing with him?? 

I don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but Cole Sanford played not just on another team, but in a different league in 2016/17.

So the answer is no.

(Also Steel still hit 75-ish points last year so those 10 points don't make that huge of a difference to me. Coach still may be right and bottom-15 draft teams might regret passing on him. God I hope so! )

15 hours ago, DucksProg said:

I don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but Cole Sanford played not just on another team, but in a different league in 2016/17.

So the answer is no.

(Also Steel still hit 75-ish points last year so those 10 points don't make that huge of a difference to me. Coach still may be right and bottom-15 draft teams might regret passing on him. God I hope so! )

The only thing that's stopping me from going bananas about that pick is Emerson Etem.

Just now, Aksun said:

The only thing that's stopping me from going bananas about that pick is Emerson Etem.

Etem has taught us to curb our expectations and be a little cynical. He's taught us a bit of what to look for in a prospect while also what to avoid. We are all junior scout students learning the trade little by little at a distance. 

Anaheim Ducks Retweeted Hockey Canada

Congrats to our prospects @joshmahura, @ssteel23 and @comtois20!

Hockey Canada‏Verified account @HockeyCanada

One. Step. Closer. 32 Team Canada hopefuls invited to St. Catharines, Ont. for @SportChek selection camp, ahead of the 2018 @HC_WJC. #WorldJuniors Roster: http://bit.ly/2iu7Y40

On 12/6/2017 at 11:37 AM, DuckFan4Life said:

Anaheim Ducks Retweeted Hockey Canada

Congrats to our prospects @joshmahura, @ssteel23 and @comtois20!

Hockey Canada‏Verified account @HockeyCanada

One. Step. Closer. 32 Team Canada hopefuls invited to St. Catharines, Ont. for @SportChek selection camp, ahead of the 2018 @HC_WJC. #WorldJuniors Roster: http://bit.ly/2iu7Y40

Team CAN releases Josh Mahura.

On 12/15/2017 at 6:55 PM, DuckFan4Life said:

Team CAN releases Josh Mahura.

Regina's Josh Mahura, who was cut on Friday, has been invited back to play for ?? in pre-tournament games ... Dante Fabbro dealing with a lower-body injury 

Per release, "Fabbro is receiving treatment and may be eligible to return for the World Junior Championship"

Jones makes final roster for U.S.A.

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show/3843218-2018-wjc-u-s-updated-roster

Kyle Shohara Retweeted USA Hockey

#NHLDucks prospect LW Max Jones ('16, 1st rd., 24th overall) among the 23 players who will represent the United States at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship beginning December 26.

Team CAN is expected to add a seventh defenceman to its roster this morning. Dante Fabbro (NSH) is undergoing final medical testing to determine whether he’s in or out. If out, Josh Mahura (ANA) is in.

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Team CAN is expected to add a seventh defenceman to its roster this morning. Dante Fabbro (NSH) is undergoing final medical testing to determine whether he’s in or out. If out, Josh Mahura (ANA) is in.

Canada just cut Mahura. Fabbro has been cleared to play. 4 Duck prospects to watch out for in the WJC now.

6 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Canada just cut Mahura. Fabbro has been cleared to play. 4 Duck prospects to watch out for in the WJC now.

Sad for Mahura. Back and forth, back and forth. Will be sad if Fabbro can't play the entire series.