Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

norge25

Cali-Brews

Recommended Posts

Some delicious Libertine Edna Table Saison and Pacific Ocean Blue Gose the other night, and we've got a new cidery opening this weekend! I love our local enablers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a six-pack of Luponic Distortion 003 from Firestone while camping/hiking this weekend. Preferred 002, but it's a good series of hoppiness on the cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, norge25 said:

Had a six-pack of Luponic Distortion 003 from Firestone while camping/hiking this weekend. Preferred 002, but it's a good series of hoppiness on the cheap.

Still liked 001 the best. Really interesting, because even though the mash bill's probably the same, the hop profiles are completely different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Multiple reports out of North County have Stone laying off 75 employees. Wow. No statement from the company yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brew Dogs expanding into the US. That's pretty cool. Sucks about Stone though. They are everywhere now, including 7-11. Weird that they are down sizing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, poum said:

Brew Dogs expanding into the US. That's pretty cool. Sucks about Stone though. They are everywhere now, including 7-11. Weird that they are down sizing.

Yeah, the beer social media universe blew up to the point Stone had to put out a statement. Very very curious the mention of no longer consistent growth.

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/stone-brewing-issues-official-statement-layoffs/

Good to see Brew Dogs making a move over here though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Track 7's Panic IPA quite nice last night. Hoppy, but not a north of SF hop bomb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...I had the Gordon Biersch brewed dry-hopped red ale they made for the Guppies. Name of Chum. Plenty of kick at 7.2, otherwise, rather uninteresting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2016 at 10:50 AM, Drake12 said:

So...I had the Gordon Biersch brewed dry-hopped red ale they made for the Guppies. Name of Chum. Plenty of kick at 7.2, otherwise, rather uninteresting.

You didn't choke on it? They did a poor job honoring their Guppies, then. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2016 at 9:05 PM, norge25 said:

You didn't choke on it? They did a poor job honoring their Guppies, then. ;)

I actually did when I took my first sip. Was not expecting even a 7.2 red ale to be that boozy. 

 

On 11/5/2016 at 11:32 PM, poum said:

Firestone Oak-Toberfest. Meh.

Hahaha, yeah, not one of their better beers. Falls into the same category as Opal and Easy Jack. Though that new Ten Buck Chuck is pretty good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried out a flight at The Good Beer Company in Santa Ana a couple days ago. Interesting flavors there. A lot of sours, some hoppy. Nice change up. ?

 

Also, non-Cali, tried Great Divide's Old Ruffian, which is quite good, and on a strong recommendation from a coworker bought myself some Duchesse de Bourgogne which hails from Belgium. Holy crap was that good. Easily the best sour-style brew I've had, and one of the best beers in general that I've enjoyed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, norge25 said:

Tried out a flight at The Good Beer Company in Santa Ana a couple days ago. Interesting flavors there. A lot of sours, some hoppy. Nice change up. ?

 

Also, non-Cali, tried Great Divide's Old Ruffian, which is quite good, and on a strong recommendation from a coworker bought myself some Duchesse de Bourgogne which hails from Belgium. Holy crap was that good. Easily the best sour-style brew I've had, and one of the best beers in general that I've enjoyed.

Mmmmm....Great Divide does some wonderful stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2016 at 11:47 PM, poum said:

Those sour beers. I just don't know what to think of them. 

All over the place has been my experience. Which ones have you tried?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Drake12 said:

All over the place has been my experience. Which ones have you tried?

Last one I had was a few weeks ago when I was in SLC and I for the life of me can't remember what it was. So, I think that speaks for itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much Heretic last weekend. Growlers of Torment and Black Maria acquired. Belgian dark strong ale and double black IPA. Sooo good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skipped Luponic 004 and went to Luponic 005 last night. Good, refreshing, better than 002 or 003.

Anyone had Coronado's North Island IPA yet? Sounds really good, just can't find their less common beers come landslide or high water up here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2017 at 2:54 PM, Drake12 said:

Skipped Luponic 004 and went to Luponic 005 last night. Good, refreshing, better than 002 or 003.

Anyone had Coronado's North Island IPA yet? Sounds really good, just can't find their less common beers come landslide or high water up here.

Not tried the IPA, but the Coronado Mermaid Red Ale is good, but definitely overpriced ($11/6 pak).  It's above average in taste, but about $3 bucks high for a six pak.

 

Here's one to give a whirl:  Rufuge Brewery (Temecula) Grapefruit IPA.  Comes in black pint cans.  This one is a winner.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fowl said:

Not tried the IPA, but the Coronado Mermaid Red Ale is good, but definitely overpriced ($11/6 pak).  It's above average in taste, but about $3 bucks high for a six pak.

 

Here's one to give a whirl:  Rufuge Brewery (Temecula) Grapefruit IPA.  Comes in black pint cans.  This one is a winner.

 

Eleven for a sixer is bordering on Ballast Point territory, but sadly, more and more common these days. I like that Anderson Valley's sixers at Trader Joe's seem to be really nicely priced for what they are.

I'll keep an eye out for that Refuge Grapefruit IPA, it sounds damned good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like trying beers from local and independent breweries. Loved my trip to Portland a few years ago, there are hundreds of local breweries and even the sports bars tend to have a hundred beers on tap. 

Ive never been a fan of IPAs though, so I guess I'm not a real beer connoisseur. Prefer lighter ales and pilsners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nieder said:

I like trying beers from local and independent breweries. Loved my trip to Portland a few years ago, there are hundreds of local breweries and even the sports bars tend to have a hundred beers on tap. 

Ive never been a fan of IPAs though, so I guess I'm not a real beer connoisseur. Prefer lighter ales and pilsners. 

Dude, secret for ya. You don't have to like IPAs to be a connoisseur. It's the de rigeur craft beer style, but a lot of mediocre and crappy ones out there. Lagunitas Pils has always been one of my favorites, same with Anderson Valley Summer Solstice. Not as easy to find, but in this state....they're easier than a lot of others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been to Lost Abbey and Modern Times, but I'll have to add Mikkeller and Mother Earth to my SD itinerary. Thanks for the reviews! B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local markets suddenly started carrying Scrimshaw. Soooo, that's been my go to. And with summer coming up, I don't see that changing. Nothing like a clean crisp pilsner on a scorching 100 degree day while standing next to a BBQ. Because 100° requires fire for some reason. We're not a smart species. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2017 at 2:41 AM, Fowl said:

Not tried the IPA, but the Coronado Mermaid Red Ale is good, but definitely overpriced ($11/6 pak).  It's above average in taste, but about $3 bucks high for a six pak.

 

Here's one to give a whirl:  Rufuge Brewery (Temecula) Grapefruit IPA.  Comes in black pint cans.  This one is a winner.

 

Had the Refuge this weekend. Damned good, definitely a year-round IPA. Thanks for the tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...