The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
norge25

Cali-Brews

Some delicious Libertine Edna Table Saison and Pacific Ocean Blue Gose the other night, and we've got a new cidery opening this weekend! I love our local enablers!

• Like 1

Had a six-pack of Luponic Distortion 003 from Firestone while camping/hiking this weekend. Preferred 002, but it's a good series of hoppiness on the cheap.

11 hours ago, norge25 said:

Had a six-pack of Luponic Distortion 003 from Firestone while camping/hiking this weekend. Preferred 002, but it's a good series of hoppiness on the cheap.

Still liked 001 the best. Really interesting, because even though the mash bill's probably the same, the hop profiles are completely different. 

Multiple reports out of North County have Stone laying off 75 employees. Wow. No statement from the company yet.

Brew Dogs expanding into the US. That's pretty cool. Sucks about Stone though. They are everywhere now, including 7-11. Weird that they are down sizing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, poum said:

Brew Dogs expanding into the US. That's pretty cool. Sucks about Stone though. They are everywhere now, including 7-11. Weird that they are down sizing.

Yeah, the beer social media universe blew up to the point Stone had to put out a statement. Very very curious the mention of no longer consistent growth.

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/stone-brewing-issues-official-statement-layoffs/

Good to see Brew Dogs making a move over here though.

• Like 1

So...I had the Gordon Biersch brewed dry-hopped red ale they made for the Guppies. Name of Chum. Plenty of kick at 7.2, otherwise, rather uninteresting.

On 11/2/2016 at 10:50 AM, Drake12 said:

So...I had the Gordon Biersch brewed dry-hopped red ale they made for the Guppies. Name of Chum. Plenty of kick at 7.2, otherwise, rather uninteresting.

You didn't choke on it? They did a poor job honoring their Guppies, then. ;)

• Like 3

On 11/5/2016 at 9:05 PM, norge25 said:

You didn't choke on it? They did a poor job honoring their Guppies, then. ;)

I actually did when I took my first sip. Was not expecting even a 7.2 red ale to be that boozy. 

On 11/5/2016 at 11:32 PM, poum said:

Firestone Oak-Toberfest. Meh.

Hahaha, yeah, not one of their better beers. Falls into the same category as Opal and Easy Jack. Though that new Ten Buck Chuck is pretty good. 

• Like 2

Tried out a flight at The Good Beer Company in Santa Ana a couple days ago. Interesting flavors there. A lot of sours, some hoppy. Nice change up. ?

Also, non-Cali, tried Great Divide's Old Ruffian, which is quite good, and on a strong recommendation from a coworker bought myself some Duchesse de Bourgogne which hails from Belgium. Holy crap was that good. Easily the best sour-style brew I've had, and one of the best beers in general that I've enjoyed.

2 hours ago, norge25 said:

Tried out a flight at The Good Beer Company in Santa Ana a couple days ago. Interesting flavors there. A lot of sours, some hoppy. Nice change up. ?

Also, non-Cali, tried Great Divide's Old Ruffian, which is quite good, and on a strong recommendation from a coworker bought myself some Duchesse de Bourgogne which hails from Belgium. Holy crap was that good. Easily the best sour-style brew I've had, and one of the best beers in general that I've enjoyed.

Mmmmm....Great Divide does some wonderful stuff.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2016 at 11:47 PM, poum said:

Those sour beers. I just don't know what to think of them. 

All over the place has been my experience. Which ones have you tried?

10 hours ago, Drake12 said:

All over the place has been my experience. Which ones have you tried?

Last one I had was a few weeks ago when I was in SLC and I for the life of me can't remember what it was. So, I think that speaks for itself.

Much Heretic last weekend. Growlers of Torment and Black Maria acquired. Belgian dark strong ale and double black IPA. Sooo good. 

• Like 1

Skipped Luponic 004 and went to Luponic 005 last night. Good, refreshing, better than 002 or 003.

Anyone had Coronado's North Island IPA yet? Sounds really good, just can't find their less common beers come landslide or high water up here.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 2:54 PM, Drake12 said:

Skipped Luponic 004 and went to Luponic 005 last night. Good, refreshing, better than 002 or 003.

Anyone had Coronado's North Island IPA yet? Sounds really good, just can't find their less common beers come landslide or high water up here.

Not tried the IPA, but the Coronado Mermaid Red Ale is good, but definitely overpriced ($11/6 pak).  It's above average in taste, but about $3 bucks high for a six pak.

Here's one to give a whirl:  Rufuge Brewery (Temecula) Grapefruit IPA.  Comes in black pint cans.  This one is a winner.

Edited by Fowl
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Fowl said:

Not tried the IPA, but the Coronado Mermaid Red Ale is good, but definitely overpriced ($11/6 pak).  It's above average in taste, but about $3 bucks high for a six pak.

Here's one to give a whirl:  Rufuge Brewery (Temecula) Grapefruit IPA.  Comes in black pint cans.  This one is a winner.

Eleven for a sixer is bordering on Ballast Point territory, but sadly, more and more common these days. I like that Anderson Valley's sixers at Trader Joe's seem to be really nicely priced for what they are.

I'll keep an eye out for that Refuge Grapefruit IPA, it sounds damned good.

• Like 2

I like trying beers from local and independent breweries. Loved my trip to Portland a few years ago, there are hundreds of local breweries and even the sports bars tend to have a hundred beers on tap. 

Ive never been a fan of IPAs though, so I guess I'm not a real beer connoisseur. Prefer lighter ales and pilsners. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nieder said:

I like trying beers from local and independent breweries. Loved my trip to Portland a few years ago, there are hundreds of local breweries and even the sports bars tend to have a hundred beers on tap. 

Ive never been a fan of IPAs though, so I guess I'm not a real beer connoisseur. Prefer lighter ales and pilsners. 

Dude, secret for ya. You don't have to like IPAs to be a connoisseur. It's the de rigeur craft beer style, but a lot of mediocre and crappy ones out there. Lagunitas Pils has always been one of my favorites, same with Anderson Valley Summer Solstice. Not as easy to find, but in this state....they're easier than a lot of others. 

• Like 1

My wife and I and another friend hit four breweries in the San Diego area this weekend.

1. Modern Times: We tried at least a dozen of the beers they had on tap (none of the widely released ones, since I'm familiar with those) and they were all excellent.  Nieder, if you like a good pilsener, the pils they had on tap ("Ice") was pretty much the ideal of a good pilsener.  Even their more experimental stuff (an American wild ale made with smoked pineapple) was fantastic.  It was a bit crowded on a Saturday afternoon, but there was room for us and the building was nice.  I would live there if I could.

2. Mikkeller: A lot of good stuff here, but Mikkeller is known for doing some off-the-wall things, and there were a couple of misses (I wasn't a big fan of the Blueberry Shuffle or the Seeking Panacea).  But the Wee Sticky Icky (which has pecans and maple and cinnamon) was surprisingly very good, and the Riot Juice on cask was incredible.  The ambiance isn't great, but hey, it was pretty dead on a Saturday night, so we could sit and have a quiet conversation while drinking our beers.

3. Lost Abbey/Port: If you like belgians and/or barrel-aged stuff, this place is for you.  The best thing I had there was a limited release framboise that might be the best framboise (Framboise de Amorosa) I've ever had.  They had another sour that was also very good (Red Poppy).  The actual tasting area of the brewery was cool, but there was no separation between that and the brewing/loading area, so we had forklifts driving by us the whole time.  Not uncommon for a smaller brewery, but it wasn't the best if you care about that kind of thing (I generally don't and the beer was great).

4. Mother Earth: We had time to hit one more brewery, and I'm really glad we made it this one.  I'd only had a couple beers from Mother Earth, one of which I would recommend to anyone if you see it on tap and you're looking for something light and refreshing - their Cali Creamin' Ale on nitro is fantastic.  But I wasn't expecting that I would enjoy every single beer immensely.  They gave you 6 oz "tasters" for $2 a pop, and it was all great.  Their double IPA, their black IPA, a nice Helles, an imperial peanut butter stout, but my favorite might have been an imperial brown ale call "Por Que No" that was just about perfect.  We were there on a Sunday afternoon, so take this with a grain of salt, but if you want a quiet, low-key atmosphere, go to the corporate headquarters.  They don't have much to carry out there and their selection isn't as wide, but it was totally empty.  If you want a livelier atmosphere and more selections, go to their brewpub, where they will also put just about anything on tap in a large growler can.  They had a great IPA on cask there called Slamnesia that I would recommend.

All in all, it was a really good weekend for good beer.

• Like 4

Been to Lost Abbey and Modern Times, but I'll have to add Mikkeller and Mother Earth to my SD itinerary. Thanks for the reviews! B)

My local markets suddenly started carrying Scrimshaw. Soooo, that's been my go to. And with summer coming up, I don't see that changing. Nothing like a clean crisp pilsner on a scorching 100 degree day while standing next to a BBQ. Because 100° requires fire for some reason. We're not a smart species. 

• Like 3