The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
norge25

Cali-Brews

On 3/10/2017 at 2:41 AM, Fowl said:

Not tried the IPA, but the Coronado Mermaid Red Ale is good, but definitely overpriced ($11/6 pak).  It's above average in taste, but about $3 bucks high for a six pak.

Here's one to give a whirl:  Rufuge Brewery (Temecula) Grapefruit IPA.  Comes in black pint cans.  This one is a winner.

Had the Refuge this weekend. Damned good, definitely a year-round IPA. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, poum said:

My local markets suddenly started carrying Scrimshaw. Soooo, that's been my go to. And with summer coming up, I don't see that changing. Nothing like a clean crisp pilsner on a scorching 100 degree day while standing next to a BBQ. Because 100° requires fire for some reason. We're not a smart species. 

Scrimshaw is good - North Coast, right?

My favorite hot weather beer is Chainbreaker by Deschutes.  It's a white IPA, but the hoppiness is pretty mild and it's a really well-balanced beer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Scrimshaw is good - North Coast, right?

My favorite hot weather beer is Chainbreaker by Deschutes.  It's a white IPA, but the hoppiness is pretty mild and it's a really well-balanced beer.

Yup. North Coast. 

Love me some Deschutes, always look forward to the Chasin' Freshies release. 

2 hours ago, Drake12 said:

Yup. North Coast. 

Love me some Deschutes, always look forward to the Chasin' Freshies release. 

North Coast is on my list of breweries to visit the next time I'm up in the redwoods.  They brew my wife's favorite beer (Old Rasputin).

• Like 3

Peppermint Victory at Sea. Basically Ballasts imperial port with peppermint. The first taste is decidedly odd. Not surprising but it does kinda grow on you. Much like a hard root beer, one is enjoyable but a six pack is a bit much. Hell, this 22 oz becomes a chore near the end. 

Probably not something I would buy again outside of specific circumstances. For instance, pairing it with a lovely dinner. Particularly something lamb based. Maybe a nice rack of lamb in which case you could drop the mint jelly for this beer. 

All in all, an interesting try. Not something I'll revisit unless I feel the need for lamb. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2017 at 0:49 AM, poum said:

Peppermint Victory at Sea. Basically Ballasts imperial port with peppermint. The first taste is decidedly odd. Not surprising but it does kinda grow on you. Much like a hard root beer, one is enjoyable but a six pack is a bit much. Hell, this 22 oz becomes a chore near the end. 

Probably not something I would buy again outside of specific circumstances. For instance, pairing it with a lovely dinner. Particularly something lamb based. Maybe a nice rack of lamb in which case you could drop the mint jelly for this beer. 

All in all, an interesting try. Not something I'll revisit unless I feel the need for lamb. 

Victory at Sea....the base beer's probably my favorite that they make. Never really cottoned on to some of the variations. Peanut butter, yes. Peppermint seems a waste of a very good beer. I can do a 22 of the base easily. 

But lamb....make a beer jelly with Peppermint VoS....that would be something. Into the mental recipe file. Thanks poum.

Had some Central Coast Brewing Pour Hour Pilsner yesterday for breakfast....went really well with an avocado, bacon, egg and cheese sandwich.

Edited by Drake12

44 minutes ago, Drake12 said:

Victory at Sea....the base beer's probably my favorite that they make. Never really cottoned on to some of the variations. Peanut butter, yes. Peppermint seems a waste of a very good beer. I can do a 22 of the base easily. 

But lamb....make a beer jelly with Peppermint VoS....that would be something. Into the mental recipe file. Thanks poum.

Had some Central Coast Brewing Pour Hour Pilsner yesterday for breakfast....went really well with an avocado, bacon, egg and cheese sandwich.

Holy hell, Drake I want to kiss you. Mixing the beer into a mint jelly would be glorious. This is so being down this week, while I know that beer is still in stock.

7 minutes ago, poum said:

Holy hell, Drake I want to kiss you. Mixing the beer into a mint jelly would be glorious. This is so being down this week, while I know that beer is still in stock.

Well, thank you. Not often I get that kind of response to my mad cook inclinations. (I have a friend who makes tons of beer jelly-delicious on everything, especially savory stuff, not much of a leap to make your own beer mint jelly. Or is it mint beer jelly?)

Let us know how it goes!

Edited by Drake12

1 hour ago, Drake12 said:

Well, thank you. Not often I get that kind of response to my mad cook inclinations. (I have a friend who makes tons of beer jelly-delicious on everything, especially savory stuff, not much of a leap to make your own beer mint jelly. Or is it mint beer jelly?)

Let us know how it goes!

I'm surprised I didn't make the beer-jelly connection. I currently have 84 (actually small number for me) tabs open in Chrome on my phone and I'd say at least 78 of them are food related.

It's probably been a decade since I've had a rack of lamb and this beer-jelly has me salivating. Stupid Meatless Monday and stupid food fads that I follow leftover from my vegetarian days. Speaking of dumb food fads, tomorrow is Taco Tuesday and I just discovered the joy of home made tortillas. Heh, wonder if I can beer that up. I know I can but will the final product be good. Of course it would, alcohol makes everything better!

15 minutes ago, poum said:

I'm surprised I didn't make the beer-jelly connection. I currently have 84 (actually small number for me) tabs open in Chrome on my phone and I'd say at least 78 of them are food related.

It's probably been a decade since I've had a rack of lamb and this beer-jelly has me salivating. Stupid Meatless Monday and stupid food fads that I follow leftover from my vegetarian days. Speaking of dumb food fads, tomorrow is Taco Tuesday and I just discovered the joy of home made tortillas. Heh, wonder if I can beer that up. I know I can but will the final product be good. Of course it would, alcohol makes everything better!

Given that recipes do call for water....I suggest an amber lager or a pilsener instead. Homemade tortillas are the best. 

I had friends bring some homemade tortillas instead of hot dog buns to a beach cookout. Skeptical at first, but sold on the fact they taste better and do not fall apart.

Edited by Drake12

2 hours ago, Drake12 said:

Given that recipes do call for water....I suggest an amber lager or a pilsener instead. Homemade tortillas are the best. 

I had friends bring some homemade tortillas instead of hot dog buns to a beach cookout. Skeptical at first, but sold on the fact they taste better and do not fall apart.

I'm thinking a pilsner. Thinking a Peroni will do the trick. Perhaps a Pacifico to stay regional. But bleh, then I'd have to finish by drinking Pacifico and that's just no fun in the end.

Just now, poum said:

I'm thinking a pilsner. Thinking a Peroni will do the trick. Perhaps a Pacifico to stay regional. But bleh, then I'd have to finish by drinking Pacifico and that's just no fun in the end.

I was thinking a Pilsner Urquell, but Peroni'll do it nicely. Wonder how a Negro Modelo would work, nice and malty.

5 hours ago, Drake12 said:

I was thinking a Pilsner Urquell, but Peroni'll do it nicely. Wonder how a Negro Modelo would work, nice and malty.

Negro is my go to Mexican beer. The rest give me headaches. And Caguama! F-ing caugama, not Mexican but Latin American, holy piddle. I'd rather drink a 40 of St. Ide's high gravity. And that's death in a bottle.

I digress though, I don't think Negro would be a good substitute for water in the tortillas. To dark and heavy.

Also Pilsner Urquell is a saint! It's one of my favorite go to beers for a hot summer day next to a grill. Ugh, why do IPA's have to suck when it's triple digits...

• Like 2

Just tried a Four Peaks "Kilt Lifter". I asked for it because of the name and drought handle. Having Scottish ancestry, it was kinda of need to do thing. Which segways into how much the Titled Kilt next to the Honda Center sucks. That place suuuuucks. I've wanted to go George Parros on some of their staff a few times. And I'm a very kind patient patron. 

8 hours ago, poum said:

Just tried a Four Peaks "Kilt Lifter". I asked for it because of the name and drought handle. Having Scottish ancestry, it was kinda of need to do thing. Which segways into how much the Titled Kilt next to the Honda Center sucks. That place suuuuucks. I've wanted to go George Parros on some of their staff a few times. And I'm a very kind patient patron. 

I had one of those on nitro at the brewery itself in the Phoenix area.  Very good beer.

On 6/5/2017 at 11:13 PM, poum said:

Negro is my go to Mexican beer. The rest give me headaches. And Caguama! F-ing caugama, not Mexican but Latin American, holy piddle. I'd rather drink a 40 of St. Ide's high gravity. And that's death in a bottle.

I digress though, I don't think Negro would be a good substitute for water in the tortillas. To dark and heavy.

Also Pilsner Urquell is a saint! It's one of my favorite go to beers for a hot summer day next to a grill. Ugh, why do IPA's have to suck when it's triple digits...

Pilseners are fantastic for the heat, but if you want an IPA, go for a white IPA.  Lighter and more floral than a standard IPA, but you get a decent hop profile.  My friend and I recently homebrewed a white IPA and it turned out really well.  It works for a hot summer day.  If you're looking for a solid, easy-to-find offering, Chainbreaker by Deschutes is a great option.  If I'm picking up a six pack of something during the hottest days of summer, that's my choice.

Edited by gorbachav5

When I was out in Arizona last weekend, was able to hit a couple of breweries, was pretty impressed with what I found.

San Tan Brewing was a little chaotic, but at three on a Saturday, what downtown brewery isn't? Hefeweizen was really good, closer to the Bavarian ones I've had than American Hefs, went down a little too quickly if you follow. Epicenter Amber, decent, middle of the road red. Gordo Stout, nicely balanced, reminiscent of Guinness. Grapefruit Moonjuice IPA, fantastic, distinctly grapefruit, hops floral and fragrant without being particularly bitter. Heavy D, a maltier IPA, good for hot AF Arizona (110 F, yuck). KiloHop, a hoppy imperial IPA with a little bit of honey-drink all day. Definitely recommend them.

Arizona Wilderness is a bit of an odd duck, in that if you don't like experimental beers, you're not going to like what they do. I on the other hand, am an odd duck, so I was pleased. Their Smoked Apple Gose was good, very tart, but the smoke complimented it well. The Watermelon Gose was my full on favorite. Saltier than Anderson Valley's Briney Melon, but still enough watermelon flavor to give truth to the name. I would drink one of their crowlers all by myself. Wet Beaver Wit was the only one I meh'd on. Too much going on in one glass. Juniper Dark Ale, pretty good, juniper berries and hops complimented well. Roosevelt DIPA, hop-heavy, resinous flavor, alcohol to match at 8+%, good and strong.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I had one of those on nitro at the brewery itself in the Phoenix area.  Very good beer.

Pilseners are fantastic for the heat, but if you want an IPA, go for a white IPA.  Lighter and more floral than a standard IPA, but you get a decent hop profile.  My friend and I recently homebrewed a white IPA and it turned out really well.  It works for a hot summer day.  If you're looking for a solid, easy-to-find offering, Chainbreaker by Deschutes is a great option.  If I'm picking up a six pack of something during the hottest days of summer, that's my choice.

I had the Ballast Point "Mango Keel" the other day. I think that's the name, pretty sure I didn't make it up. It was surprisingly delicious. It's not overly fruity, which I appreciate. And being a session ale it had full flavor while still being light and refreshing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, poum said:

I had the Ballast Point "Mango Keel" the other day. I think that's the name, pretty sure I didn't make it up. It was surprisingly delicious. It's not overly fruity, which I appreciate. And being a session ale it had full flavor while still being light and refreshing. 

Mango Even Keel is right. BP's still putting out good stuff even after the Constellation sale.

My local Bevmo (and I'm assuming all the others in socal) sells a lot of Ballast Point's offerings in keg form. I can see you guys hooked up to one of those during hockey season. Get that Sculpin straight from the tap in the confort of your living room. 

Would make an excellent rage-smashing tool too, eh poum?

• Like 1

OK Norge, this is your moment to shine. I'm going to be in Anaheim in November, so I need to know which breweries I should go to while I'm down there. What are your top 3?

BTW this question applies to everybody else too. I'm only in Anaheim for a week so I need to know the best places to go!

Edited by nieder

2 hours ago, nieder said:

OK Norge, this is your moment to shine. I'm going to be in Anaheim in November, so I need to know which breweries I should go to while I'm down there. What are your top 3?

BTW this question applies to everybody else too. I'm only in Anaheim for a week so I need to know the best places to go!

Noble Ale Works, Bottle Logic Brewing....I've only got two. Love me some of Noble's Naughty Sauce. They both have a good mix of high and low, but Bottle Logic has a couple of whallopers above 10%.

Cool thing about Noble, aside from the beer, is they openly state on their website that you can use their parking lot and walk to games at the Big A and Honda Center. It's about a mile, and pregaming there is not a bad idea.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, nieder said:

If you're renting a car, San Diego would be a lovely day trip if you got the time. It would be a game changer. Great City for food and beer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, poum said:

If you're renting a car, San Diego would be a lovely day trip if you got the time. It would be a game changer. Great City for food and beer.

Yep we are renting a car so this is definitely an option. Thanks!

19 hours ago, Drake12 said:

Noble Ale Works, Bottle Logic Brewing....I've only got two. Love me some of Noble's Naughty Sauce. They both have a good mix of high and low, but Bottle Logic has a couple of whallopers above 10%.

Cool thing about Noble, aside from the beer, is they openly state on their website that you can use their parking lot and walk to games at the Big A and Honda Center. It's about a mile, and pregaming there is not a bad idea.

Perfect. I think we are going to stay at the Ayres Hotel across from the Pond so it looks like Noble isn't too far to stumble back to bed.

8 hours ago, nieder said:

Yep we are renting a car so this is definitely an option. Thanks!

The Gulls are playing the 17/18th as well. So you could double down on the hockey too!

15 hours ago, poum said:

The Gulls are playing the 17/18th as well. So you could double down on the hockey too!

Haha since we are already going to 2x Ducks games I don't want to push it too much with my girlfriend. Will have to take her to some breweries instead.

Bought a Blood Orange Wit the other night. Local So Cal brew if I do believe. It was "meh". A Belgian wheat ale. Not a big fan of those. Didn't realize it at the time of purchase. Can looked cool though! Tricked me into a buy.