The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
norge25

Cali-Brews

27 minutes ago, poum said:

Bought a Blood Orange Wit the other night. Local So Cal brew if I do believe. It was "meh". A Belgian wheat ale. Not a big fan of those. Didn't realize it at the time of purchase. Can looked cool though! Tricked me into a buy.

You bought the wrong one from Refuge.  Refuge Brewery (Temecula) makes that one and a Grapefruit IPA (both in the pint back can).  The Grapefruit IPA is excellent.  The Blood Orange Wit is serviceable, but kind of boring.

• Like 3

I am biased because I work for them, but you can also come check out The Bruery or The Bruery: Terreux (same company, different locations - Terreux is a nicer spot but a bit trickier to get to).  If you like sours or barrel-aged stuff, we have a lot of great offerings.  

• Like 2

On 9/18/2017 at 9:57 AM, gorbachav5 said:

I am biased because I work for them, but you can also come check out The Bruery or The Bruery: Terreux (same company, different locations - Terreux is a nicer spot but a bit trickier to get to).  If you like sours or barrel-aged stuff, we have a lot of great offerings.  

I have yet to go there, but many good things from the Bruery. Definitely recommend if you like big beers, sour beers and the like.

On 9/14/2017 at 10:34 AM, nieder said:

Perfect. I think we are going to stay at the Ayres Hotel across from the Pond so it looks like Noble isn't too far to stumble back to bed.

I've stayed there after games, makes leaving the game so much simpler. Good hotel. 

On 9/14/2017 at 10:32 AM, nieder said:

Yep we are renting a car so this is definitely an option. Thanks!

So....as far as San Diego goes....

Rip Current Brewing in San Marcos/North Park, Fall Brewing in the north end of North Park, Modern Times in North Park, Mother Earth in Vista, Coronado Brewing near Mission Bay, Alesmith in Mira Mesa, Societe in Clairemont Mesa, and Ballast Point's Home Brew Mart just below USD. (I know I've forgotten some) If you're time limited, RC and Fall.

In a related note, I did my yearly pilgrimage to Anderson Valley Brewing in Boonville. Framboise Rose Gose was fantastic. Done up with raspberrys and rosehips, went down very quickly and very deliciously. Also had some Summer Solstice, that is one beer that I will never tire of drinking, so smooth and creamy. Then I finished the day at Heretic in Fairfield. Torment belgian dark strong and Habanero Evil Cousin, yum!

• Like 1

If you don't want to head all the way down into San Diego, Mother Earth Brewing in the Carlsbad area is fantastic.  Either their big tasting room or if you want to do something a little quieter, they have a small tasting room at the company headquarters.  It doesn't have as big a selection, but if you want to get away from crowds, it's a calmer atmosphere.

I just saw Drake already mentioned Mother Earth.  So I heartily second his recommendation!  I second the recommendation for Modern Times as well.

Edited by gorbachav5
  • Like 2

I just found something called Moon Juice a "Galatic IPA" from SanTan Brewing. One of those occasions where the label/artwork got the buy off me. Combine space and beer and I'm sold! I just finished reading Starship Troopers and now I'm onto Dune. 

[Edit] Uh oh. 7.3 ABV. I might get rowdy in the GDT. 

Edited by poum
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, poum said:

I just found something called Moon Juice a "Galatic IPA" from SanTan Brewing. One of those occasions where the label/artwork got the buy off me. Combine space and beer and I'm sold! I just finished reading Starship Troopers and now I'm onto Dune. 

[Edit] Uh oh. 7.3 ABV. I might get rowdy in the GDT. 

SanTan is fantastic! Especially the Moonjuice duo, though I didn't realize the grapefruit Moonjuice is only 6.6%, not 7.3%. Hmmm.

Excellent choice of lit too, Starship Troopers is one of my favorites.

14 minutes ago, Drake12 said:

SanTan is fantastic! Especially the Moonjuice duo, though I didn't realize the grapefruit Moonjuice is only 6.6%, not 7.3%. Hmmm.

Excellent choice of lit too, Starship Troopers is one of my favorites.

After a few sips, it was throwing me off. I feel like I'm drinking a Sierra Nevada. Which is by no means a bad thing. 

And Heinlein. That guy. Good author. But oh boy, when he gets on a soap box he stays on it. 

4 minutes ago, poum said:

After a few sips, it was throwing me off. I feel like I'm drinking a Sierra Nevada. Which is by no means a bad thing. 

And Heinlein. That guy. Good author. But oh boy, when he gets on a soap box he stays on it. 

Ha! More like he turns it into kindling.

Cheers!

Edited by Drake12
  • Like 1

So, because 'tis the season for funny gourd beers, I had myself a Kern River Pumpkin Ale last night. Simple, slightly spiced, just damned good. Spent plenty of time staring at it, not much of a head in the glass, and I could see little bits of spice in there. Have yet to have anything from Kern River I didn't like.

Also put down some Lagunitas Imperial Pils, that's a sweet wallop. Something like 8.3 ABV, and not to be chugged. I took a big swig and it nearly came out of my nose. Was not expecting what I got in terms of ABV punch. And to finish the night off, I went with an old school classic, Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin' IPA. Not a hop bomb at all, nice caramel-ish malty flavor balanced with punctuate hop notes. 

The Ducks may drive me to drink, but I drink well when I do.

Still on that Gose. Anderson Valley is mentioned and next thing I know my market has it. Now I'm on a Gose kick. Thanks Drake. <_<

1 hour ago, poum said:

Still on that Gose. Anderson Valley is mentioned and next thing I know my market has it. Now I'm on a Gose kick. Thanks Drake. <_<

You're welcome! I've seen the classic Kimmie, Yink and the Gose, GT Gose, Blood Orange Gose and Briney Melon from Anderson Valley at stores in the last month. 

As hot as it's been, a gose or three sounds really, really good. And given our pending roasting next week, I might have to stock up on some over the weekend.

Mine had the Gose. I love love how autocorrect changes Gose to "good". Irritating as it is, I thought I trained this smart phone better. But it is good. 

They switched the Gose for Holy Gose. Which I haven't tried. Blood Orange just works so well. Proper amount of sour and citrus. It's like a Sour Patch kid that doesn't rape your mouth.

12 hours ago, poum said:

Mine had the Gose. I love love how autocorrect changes Gose to "good". Irritating as it is, I thought I trained this smart phone better. But it is good. 

They switched the Gose for Holy Gose. Which I haven't tried. Blood Orange just works so well. Proper amount of sour and citrus. It's like a Sour Patch kid that doesn't rape your mouth.

Smart phones need correction like non-human domesticated mammals every so often to reinforce. And I'd rather have the Blood Orange than a soda. Don't feel near as crappy after drinking a sixer of it either in hot AF weather like the last couple of weeks.

I have a soft spot for the Briney Melon Gose, I had it at the brewery when they first released it. Badgered them to let me take a sixer off the pallet, but nope, had to go to their accounts, already allocated. Funny thing is, I think they've refined the recipe, the cans taste better now.

Since I'm too cheap to foot the bill for a DirecTV package that includes all the hockey-and footy, lacrosse, motor sports, et al-I'm headed down to Central Coast Brewing on Sunday to catch the first game of the USWNT tour at 1100. (That and none of the good beer joints here in town open at 11.) Oh the beers to be drank! Probably start with a Java Blanca....

http://www.centralcoastbrewing.com/menu/

Hit my two favorite beer joints before the game on Saturday, and my oh my was it worth it.

Alvarado Street dark lager. Malty, slighly sweet, went really well with the vegan curry I had for dinner. Alvarado Street The Best Part of Waking Up, coffee milk stout at a decent 6.5% on nitro. Drank really quickly, it was delicious, coffee wasn't overdone at all, and the milk sugar made it something I would definitely have for breakfast.

And yes, I had the Gordon-Biersch brewed Chum ale at the arena. Hoppy red ale at 7.2%, nothing to write home about, but tasted a lot stronger than it is. 

• Like 1

I can't get into milk stouts. They're not terrible, I'd just rather drink a 40oz. of Olde English. And the day I ever drink an OE again... 

So... I've on that blood orange gose kick. Drinking it as if it's my singular existence. Sorry Guinness, I've been cheating on you, I've been led astray.

Any way, my point. Imagine my enthusiasm when I saw a new gose at the local super mercado. Saint Archer Blackberry Gose. The damn thing is a fruity Coors Light. Wildly disappointed.

And in the one going series of beers I got screwed over. Sierra Nevada "No Middle Ground." Ale with coffee. I was stoked. 

What a god awful mix by them. Literally, really, really bad.

On 2/23/2018 at 11:04 PM, poum said:

So... I've on that blood orange gose kick. Drinking it as if it's my singular existence. Sorry Guinness, I've been cheating on you, I've been led astray.

Any way, my point. Imagine my enthusiasm when I saw a new gose at the local super mercado. Saint Archer Blackberry Gose. The damn thing is a fruity Coors Light. Wildly disappointed.

Wait until Anderson Valley's Framboise Rose Gose hits shelves. So mad they didn't have any ready canned when I was there in November. So good on tap.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 9:57 AM, gorbachav5 said:

I love Bruery Terreaux. It’s possibly my favorite Anaheim brewery (Bottle Logic’s stouts make it hard to say definitively).

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 11:04 PM, poum said:

Goses are very hit or miss for me. I either enjoy them or despise them.

Anyone check out Sour Cellars out in Rancho? It’s not far from where I work, and I love their stuff. A lot of interesting blends and wild ales.

Saw a 12'ver of Firestone on sale. Two limited beers, one exclusive to the pack. Both C-Hops and Luponic #9 were nothing special. Kinda a let down. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, poum said:

Saw a 12'ver of Firestone on sale. Two limited beers, one exclusive to the pack. Both C-Hops and Luponic #9 were nothing special. Kinda a let down. 

I like Firestone, generally, for providing some flavor on the cheap. But I can’t say I’ve had anything special from them. 

Not Cali or even US brew, but I was pretty excited to find out that BrewDog has locations in both Glasgow and London. Will almost certainly hit up the Glasgow one! 

On 4/15/2018 at 0:44 PM, poum said:

It's town beer up here, really good pricing for sixers of the simpler stuff. 

C-Hops came out of the Propagator brewery in Venice. Neither that nor the Gen 1 really struck me as anything good. Hop bill for the Luponics has been so hit and miss, still thing #1 was the best of 'em. 

You beer connoisseurs might be happy to know that I just had a Duvel Belgian Golden Ale. The Beer Advocacy site seems to think highly of it. Pretty good beer.

• Like 1

I noticed Stone has a NOFX Punk in Drublic collaboration. I had no choice in the matter, it had to be had. Not even the biggest NOFX fan (or one at all for that matter) but being a life long kid of punk rock it was a must.

Ever wondered what purple drank mixed with hops would taste like? This is the beer for you.

Had my 1st Ballast Point beer a few days ago. Norge would be proud. It was between the Grapefruit Sculpin or the Aloha Sculpin. Grapefruit would have been the safe choice, though I ended up going with the Aloha. Poured out into a glass I felt the flavors didn’t mesh too well, with a harsh aftertaste that didn’t blend with the tropical flavors. Drinking another now, this time straight out of the bottle, and it taste more balanced. Not too bad. Probably would have enjoyed the pure citrusy flavors in the grapefruit more than the tropical ones, but this is still decent. 

On 9/10/2018 at 3:19 AM, Spencer_12 said:

Had my 1st Ballast Point beer a few days ago. Norge would be proud. It was between the Grapefruit Sculpin or the Aloha Sculpin. Grapefruit would have been the safe choice, though I ended up going with the Aloha. Poured out into a glass I felt the flavors didn’t mesh too well, with a harsh aftertaste that didn’t blend with the tropical flavors. Drinking another now, this time straight out of the bottle, and it taste more balanced. Not too bad. Probably would have enjoyed the pure citrusy flavors in the grapefruit more than the tropical ones, but this is still decent. 

Yeah, the grapefruit is clean, citrusy and punchy. I like it better than the regular Sculpin. 

Their one offs or special versions of their regular stuff hasn't been the same the last year or so. I'm wondering if the Constellation buyout is starting to show. Or if some of the brewers have jumped ship.

Hopefully be passing through Heretic in the next few days, time permitting. Their Black Maria collaboration with Faction is one of my all time favorites.

On 8/10/2018 at 9:33 PM, Spencer_12 said:

You beer connoisseurs might be happy to know that I just had a Duvel Belgian Golden Ale. The Beer Advocacy site seems to think highly of it. Pretty good beer.

Darned good stuff and sneaky too.

• Like 1