The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DuckFan4Life

San Diego Gulls 2016-17

7 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

The Gulls are winning without their top 2 defenseman who are with the Ducks and their 3rd or 4th (Norge?) goalie this season.  Whether it's coaching, players or both, the Gulls don't give up in any game. Player call ups aren't affecting the Gulls. The Ducks need their star player to be a star and right now he's a passenger. Lack of scoring and nowhere to send an outlet pass is what is affecting the defense. The forwards need to step it up. 

Moreso this. Gulls have been without Ritchie, Kase and Crammer all or nearly all year, three guys who were big contributors for them last season, Gibson obviously, Hackett and Etem out with season-ending injuries, Theo most of the year on call-ups despite being scratched, and their star d-man Montour for a couple stretches. Noesen was their star forward earlier this season; he's obviously been lost on waivers. Kerdiles just came back after also being absent all season (concussion). They're playing well no matter who's in the line-up. And yes, 4th regular starter for them, and 5th I believe to backstop them at any point this season. Hackett as mentioned got badly injured, Tokarski spent a long time out hurt, Boyle played surprisingly well for them for a stretch, and I think Faragher got a couple games too. 

Basically, the team as a team is killing it right now. B)

39 minutes ago, norge25 said:

Moreso this. Gulls have been without Ritchie, Kase and Crammer all or nearly all year, three guys who were big contributors for them last season, Gibson obviously, Hackett and Etem out with season-ending injuries, Theo most of the year on call-ups despite being scratched, and their star d-man Montour for a couple stretches. Noesen was their star forward earlier this season; he's obviously been lost on waivers. Kerdiles just came back after also being absent all season (concussion). They're playing well no matter who's in the line-up. And yes, 4th regular starter for them, and 5th I believe to backstop them at any point this season. Hackett as mentioned got badly injured, Tokarski spent a long time out hurt, Boyle played surprisingly well for them for a stretch, and I think Faragher got a couple games too. 

It really is crazy how they've maintained, heck, improved under such turnover.

How closely do you follow them, norge? You've sort of replaced AdmiralsFan as our resident AHL reporter. ;) I'm wondering who the standouts are right now, and how guys like Welinski, Roy, and Sorensen have been coming along. Oddly, I see more reports on our junior level players than our AHL prospects, maybe it's a hype thing (especially Sam Steel, my word is that kid on a tear).

48 minutes ago, norge25 said:

So a group of younger players, with more roster flux, is resoundingly kicking ass. I'm not questioning their place in the organization, I'm questioning why the big club boys aren't taking notice and stepping it up. Pick a night, and someone other than Ticker/Hackett/Boyle/Faragher/Enroth has stepped up. Schweet.

Well, I've rarely seen even an AHL arena this empty. Especially with a halfway decent team in residence.

12 minutes ago, Drake12 said:

Well, I've rarely seen even an AHL arena this empty. Especially with a halfway decent team in residence.

Hopefully it's just a matter of making a name for themselves in their new community. With the way they playing they should start to build a fan base which will only help the Ducks in the longer term which is great 

On 2/8/2017 at 1:59 PM, AustinDuck27 said:

It really is crazy how they've maintained, heck, improved under such turnover.

How closely do you follow them, norge? You've sort of replaced AdmiralsFan as our resident AHL reporter. ;) I'm wondering who the standouts are right now, and how guys like Welinski, Roy, and Sorensen have been coming along. Oddly, I see more reports on our junior level players than our AHL prospects, maybe it's a hype thing (especially Sam Steel, my word is that kid on a tear).

I follow their official account, their play-by-play guy (@619sports), and a fan account on Twitter and listen to every radio call when I'm not working during their games. It's nowhere near the same as watching the games, but between their stat lines and Elsten's call you can get a good feel for how guys are doing. 

I'd say Sörensen's been disappointing so far, sounds like he'll disappear for stretches and isn't producing much. Roy's been pretty good for a rookie, and he's been used on the point during the power play courtesy of his wicked shot and the Theo + Monty call ups. Welinski's been getting a lot of praise from Elsten, especially in the absence of those top 2 guys. Had a bit of a rough start when he came over at the end of last season but seems to be getting into a groove in his first full pro year now.

Interesting note from Elsten in a recent game: Max Gortz, the big Swede that BM swapped in for Andy O'Brien a few weeks ago, is a childhood friend of Nick Sörensen. Kid's been doing pretty well since he came over, too; getting opportunities in the Gulls' top 6. But yeah, thought that was kinda neat, and I wonder if BM knew that when he got the guy. Elsten mentioned that it's been a boon for Nick as far as having someone from back home to gel with.

Barracuda snapped the Gulls streak last night in a 2-1 final. Their goalie made 30+ saves, so it wasn't a matter of poor play from the lads. 

Time for SD to get another streak going Friday in Ontario!

4 minutes ago, norge25 said:

I follow their official account, their play-by-play guy (@619sports), and a fan account on Twitter and listen to every radio call when I'm not working during their games. It's nowhere near the same as watching the games, but between their stat lines and Elsten's call you can get a good feel for how guys are doing. 

I'd say Sörensen's been disappointing so far, sounds like he'll disappear for stretches and isn't producing much. Roy's been pretty good for a rookie, and he's been used on the point during the power play courtesy of his wicked shot and the Theo + Monty call ups. Welinski's been getting a lot of praise from Elsten, especially in the absence of those top 2 guys. Had a bit of a rough start when he came over at the end of last season but seems to be getting into a groove in his first full pro year now.

Interesting note from Elsten in a recent game: Max Gortz, the big Swede that BM swapped in for Andy O'Brien a few weeks ago, is a childhood friend of Nick Sörensen. Kid's been doing pretty well since he came over, too; getting opportunities in the Gulls' top 6. But yeah, thought that was kinda neat, and I wonder if BM knew that when he got the guy. Elsten mentioned that it's been a boon for Nick as far as having someone from back home to gel with.

Good stuff, thanks! 

That's about what I had gathered on those three, sucks that Sorensen hasn't taken that next step, he had a decent showing with the big club before Kase took over. Hope he isn't going the way of Noesen soon. That's pretty nifty about Gortz being his childhood friend, that wasn't mentioned at the time if the trade iirc, very cool. Hopefully he can be the Gortzlaf to his Sorey Perry (I'm drinking... sorry).

I think Roy and Welinski both have a legit shot to make the team next season, if the opportunity is there. I thought both of them were Jultzing us, so it's all win.

10 minutes ago, norge25 said:

Elsten's been very positive on Welinski this season, and it seems like he's getting more sound defensively at this level. He also works well as a puck distributor. Monty's been plus-plus-plus. JST, Tropp, Roy, Kossila and Laganiere are all players who get Elsten's cadence to speed up when it comes to shots, chances and playing solid hockey. Enroth is 8-1 since he was picked up. 

9 minutes ago, norge25 said:

Barracuda snapped the Gulls streak last night in a 2-1 final. Their goalie made 30+ saves, so it wasn't a matter of poor play from the lads. 

Time for SD to get another streak going Friday in Ontario!

Listened to that one last night and was just so bummed at the result. At least they got the SAPpy Center shutout monkey off their backs. 

The lads got right back in the W column last night in Ontario. Kyle MacKinnon and Zac Larraza returned from injury, but two of the Gulls top 6 guys (Tropp and Gortz) were out with "flu-like symptoms" so it certainly didn't look promising before puck drop. 4-1 spanking of the Reign was not the expected result, but it was a very welcome one!

Enroth with another win as the backstop, and goals by MacKinnon, Megna, Samuels-Thomas, and an empty netter for Garbutt. B)

The Gulls TV debut is tonight, so I'm counting on our SD area folks to provide some visual analysis. D-law? ;)

2 hours ago, norge25 said:

The Gulls TV debut is tonight, so I'm counting on our SD area folks to provide some visual analysis. D-law? ;)

So bummed I don't get Fox Sports San Diego. I even tried on-line and through the app. 

Gulls whip the Condors 4-0 in their TV debut! Sörensen scored the first, with Wags, Samuels-Thomas, and Lags notching the other three. B)

I believe that's points in 18 of their last 20 games?

Gulls! So great to see the Ducks AHL team have success even though the parent team bleeds them dry. 

Let's face it, Ducks have a long history of that.

5-1 victory against the visiting Iowa Wild tonight. Enroth back in net, despite the Tokarski shutout last game. Goals by Samuels-Thomas, Welinski, Megna, Sabourin and Morley.

Sörensen and Roy each with two assists. Kerdiles had an apple as well to continue his hot streak. Gulls swept the season series with Iowa 3-0 with this win, and are 16-2-1-2 since Christmas. (AHL records separate OT losses and SO losses, so that order is W-L-OTL-SOL in case anyone's confused).

5 hours ago, poum said:

Beat the Wild twice tonight! Wooo!

WooHoo!!! CALI-fornia is the state of hokey, not MINI-ssota!!! You can't go wrong with a Mumpesota, too.

Also: still greatly amazed at how they keep trudging along after we repeatedly bled them dry.

Goals from Theo and Wags on the power play, and a late strike from Kerdiles gave the Gulls another win; this with a 3-2 away victory against Bakersfield. Tokarski 2-0 since returning from injury.

I'm just going to leave this here with a request of you all. What was the play-by-play in your mind while watching this?

By the way, nice rocket by Nick K.

Welinski set a career high with 3 assists tonight, too. Kerdiles didn't make it down in time to play tonight but is expected to be in the line-up vs Rockford; as is Theo, who sat out with a minor LBI.

Took Monty less than 6 minutes to get a goal in his first game back with the Gulls. Slapped it from the blue line.

I found a way to watch this one for at least a little while, so I miiight have more to say than usual about how certain guys perform in tonight's game.

Gulls with a 2-1 lead at the end of the first. Monty is all over the ice, in a good way. Megna, his d-partner, has the second Gulls' goal, so that d-pair has provided all the scoring so far. 

The line of Kerdiles-Wags-Gortz has had some nice jump going so far. Tropp also very noticeable; he's a bull in the o-zone, and he showed good patience and vision setting up Megna's shot for his goal. Roy and Sörensen also looking to make plays in the o-zone.

Woof. Not a good period for any line. They only gave up one power play goal, so game is tied 2-2, but the Ice Hogs had the puck in SD's zone for large chunks of the period. Hope the guys shake it off and come back out with the fire they had in the first come puck drop for the third.

Much better 3rd. Just missed connecting for a PPG or two, and Tyler Morley who's a gutsy, scrappy little guy, potted the go-ahead goal. Gulls win it 3-2. Kevin Boyle with the W (Tokarski played last night).

Elsten's had a running phrase for Megna, that "he's everywhere you want him to be", and I was noticing the truth of that tonight. He makes the right plays, gets to loose pucks, blocks shots and passes. I don't know if the Ducks will ever give him a look given our stockpile of young d-men, but he plays a smart, solid, reliable game. And worth noting: the Gulls don't have a captain this season, they're using the 3 A's approach, and the guys wearing A's tonight were Jeff Schultz (30+ veteran D), Nate Guenin (30+ veteran D), and Jaycob Megna (24 year old D man). That's a huge compliment from the coaching staff and his teammates. As far as I know, he's sported that A all season.

Welinski drilled a slapshot in the third period that hit a Rockford player in the leg, I'm guessing knee, and it dropped the poor guy to the ice writhing in pain. Had to be helped off by two other guys, putting no weight on it. Brutal.

Gulls topple Tuscon 4-1 to notch another W at home. Goals by K Thompson, Sörensen, B Cooper, and Tropp. Boyle backstopped the win.

Elsten posted this after the game ? :