The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JackPolo

2016-17 Injuries

22 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

INJURY UPDATE: Jakob Silfverberg (upper-body) is day-to-day and will not travel with the team on the upcoming road trip.

That's two concussions (that we know of) in the last 15 months. Should we be concerned?

In short, yes.  Concussions are always concerning.

I thought he was grabbing his nose, I didn't see a replay as I was there. He skated off pretty easy and wasn't wobbly like you see with a concussion usually 

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

INJURY UPDATE: Jakob Silfverberg (upper-body) is day-to-day and will not travel with the team on the upcoming road trip.

That's two concussions (that we know of) in the last 15 months. Should we be concerned?

Yes!

Depends on the severity but definitely alarming.

It didn't look very much like a concussion to me, based on his movements on the ice and as he exited.  Also some hopeful optimism, but there you go.  Missing a road trip is concerning, but it could be a broken nose, or maybe a severely cut tongue.  

23 minutes ago, Fisix said:

It didn't look very much like a concussion to me, based on his movements on the ice and as he exited.  Also some hopeful optimism, but there you go.  Missing a road trip is concerning, but it could be a broken nose, or maybe a severely cut tongue.  

Broken nose was my first thought.  

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

Didn't see any blood from his nose - so that eliminates a broken nose. I recorded it and watched it a couple of times and saw his head hit the ice pretty hard - and bounce. I'm certain it's a concussion - the unknown is how bad ( what grade ) - if it is mild he will be out for 3-4 games. You worry about the number and severity of concussions. I suspect  he will bounce ( pun intended ) back. Why the heck don't they have better helmets - I know that baseball has better ones the last several years 

2 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

Didn't see any blood from his nose - so that eliminates a broken nose. I recorded it and watched it a couple of times and saw his head hit the ice pretty hard - and bounce. I'm certain it's a concussion - the unknown is how bad ( what grade ) - if it is mild he will be out for 3-4 games. You worry about the number and severity of concussions. I suspect  he will bounce ( pun intended ) back. Why the heck don't they have better helmets - I know that baseball has better ones the last several years 

Because most of the guys hate wearing helmets at all and will almost always opt for the lightest one available.
I remember when Gretzky used to wear that old Jofa helmet. Those things were like wearing nothing.

Man did he hit his face hard on the ice.  Praying that this isn't a concussion that has long term/lingering effects.  Silf, IMO, is our co-MVP so far this season.  He does sooo much for this team.  We are definitely going to miss him and I'm willing to bet we see the first evidence of that tomorrow night in Minny.

And yet another reason to hate Raffi Torres.
The hit last night on #33 was a clean hit that just went bad for Jacob but that pre-season hit from Torres last year was a POS being a POS.
2nd concussion in a little over a year is not good.

What really sticks is that there was much conjecture that Jacob's slow start last year could be attributed to the effects of that brutal hit from Torres.
He seemd to be cautious and his MO was to skate down the wing and take a shot. This season and with the concussion issues seemingly behind him, he seems/seemed to be fearless on the ice.
I have a feeling he may take a while to get the confidence back that he displayed thus far this season.

This injury, if indeed a concussion, puts a real dagger in the Duck's chances this year and I can only hope that it doesn't affect Silf long term.

Helmets have little to do with concussions, especially this one.  It is a brain that is moving with the body smacking the inside of a skull that suddenly stopped.  It's an internal injury, not external.  Even if he had a garbage can on his head, if his head hit the ice, the brain would still have hit the inside of the skull at the same force and speed.

8 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Helmets have little to do with concussions, especially this one.  It is a brain that is moving with the body smacking the inside of a skull that suddenly stopped.  It's an internal injury, not external.  Even if he had a garbage can on his head, if his head hit the ice, the brain would still have hit the inside of the skull at the same force and speed.

Not exactly correct. Yes it is the brain moving but the best helmets have layers of materials that reduce the force to the skull and the brain. The old Joffra helmets were like nothing but the technology is MUCH better than that. It works for BB players, race car drivers, amateur boxers and wrestlers 

22 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

Not exactly correct. Yes it is the brain moving but the best helmets have layers of materials that reduce the force to the skull and the brain. The old Joffra helmets were like nothing but the technology is MUCH better than that. It works for BB players, race car drivers, amateur boxers and wrestlers 

Yeah try sakting in a automobile racing helmet. For example, these head-boxes can survive a full steel spring hitting an open helmet at 100 MPH and Felipe Massa still survived (google it, its grisly, 'Felipe Massa crash 2009') and is a sane man to this day. Here's a healthy picture: 

hqdefault.jpg

Not that a hockey player would ever wear such a bucket of a helmet, but to the technology is certainly there, even if it is focused on protecting external factors like pucks and skates, to an extent, solid ice can be considered an external flying debris. Hitting an aribag in a conventional car crash as opposed to the driving wheel straight up? Your brain still wobbles inside the skull, but not as violently, comparable example.

3 hours ago, Aksun said:

Yeah try sakting in a automobile racing helmet. For example, these head-boxes can survive a full steel spring hitting an open helmet at 100 MPH and Felipe Massa still survived (google it, its grisly, 'Felipe Massa crash 2009') and is a sane man to this day. Here's a healthy picture: 

hqdefault.jpg

Not that a hockey player would ever wear such a bucket of a helmet, but to the technology is certainly there, even if it is focused on protecting external factors like pucks and skates, to an extent, solid ice can be considered an external flying debris. Hitting an aribag in a conventional car crash as opposed to the driving wheel straight up? Your brain still wobbles inside the skull, but not as violently, comparable example.

EXACTLY we can make them better - look st the great players that have been lost because of the brain damage - Pronger, Lemoux, and I am sure we could name a lot more.

The best helmets should be REQUIRED IN THE NHL - or we will have more great player with TBE ( tramatic brain encephalopathy  - just like the NFL. IMHO

On 1/21/2017 at 7:33 AM, DUCKSDOC said:

The materials science will be where concussion mitigation will make it's best strides. Dissipation of the forces using innovative materials in various ways is the only external way to do so. (Short of achieving a CSF treatment that does the same thing without transmitting full forces as a fully inelastic collision would.) Hockey presents unique challenges due to the speed of the game, the desired weight of the helmets and the fact that you need to turn your head. A lot of the racing drivers are wearing HANS devices in addition to much improved helmets. Limiting the rotational arc of the head isn't going to work in hockey. 

On 1/22/2017 at 10:03 AM, DUCKSDOC said:

EXACTLY we can make them better - look st the great players that have been lost because of the brain damage - Pronger, Lemoux, and I am sure we could name a lot more.

The best helmets should be REQUIRED IN THE NHL - or we will have more great player with TBE ( tramatic brain encephalopathy  - just like the NFL. IMHO

The other thing that has always struck me as being an issue with hockey players is the fit and wear of their buckets. I have a large melon with an odd shape, it's damned hard to find helmets that fit a 7 5/8's oval shaped skull. When getting my current helmet, damned near nothing fit. Even my M11 has to be put on a certain way, but when it does it's on there. Some of the pros seem to treat their helmets as nothing more than a ball cap, if it comes off, so what? And the helmet straps around the larynx? What good does that do? Does anyone know if they have mod'd off the shelf buckets, or full on customs?

Could do with a Stoner in against the Jets,The young yet to put on some weight, Theodore if in the lineup is going to get pushed off the puck.

Going to be a tough one the Ducks just have to dig a little deeper but they are capable.

14 hours ago, Drake12 said:

The materials science will be where concussion mitigation will make it's best strides. Dissipation of the forces using innovative materials in various ways is the only external way to do so. (Short of achieving a CSF treatment that does the same thing without transmitting full forces as a fully inelastic collision would.) Hockey presents unique challenges due to the speed of the game, the desired weight of the helmets and the fact that you need to turn your head. A lot of the racing drivers are wearing HANS devices in addition to much improved helmets. Limiting the rotational arc of the head isn't going to work in hockey. 

The other thing that has always struck me as being an issue with hockey players is the fit and wear of their buckets. I have a large melon with an odd shape, it's damned hard to find helmets that fit a 7 5/8's oval shaped skull. When getting my current helmet, damned near nothing fit. Even my M11 has to be put on a certain way, but when it does it's on there. Some of the pros seem to treat their helmets as nothing more than a ball cap, if it comes off, so what? And the helmet straps around the larynx? What good does that do? Does anyone know if they have mod'd off the shelf buckets, or full on customs?

I wanna say Selanne wore the Jofa helmet the entirety of his career. When the League switched to Reebok it looked like he sanded off the Jofa logo but still rocked that helmet. From what I've heard those things are no different than wearing a common dish rag over your head. 

54 minutes ago, poum said:

I wanna say Selanne wore the Jofa helmet the entirety of his career. When the League switched to Reebok it looked like he sanded off the Jofa logo but still rocked that helmet. From what I've heard those things are no different than wearing a common dish rag over your head. 

There were a few times he didn't wear a Jofa, and it looks very, very weird.

http://jofahelmets.blogspot.com/2012/03/teemu-selannes-jofa-helmets.html

The 366/390 model he, Jagr, Lemieux and others wore was far better than that conehead 235 series that Gretzky, Kurri and Goulet wore. Lots more padding inside, the latter looks like it had a suspension sling inside the plastic shell and that was it.

http://jofahelmets.blogspot.com/2011/05/wayne-gretzkys-jofa-235-helmet.html 

And here's the article I was looking for originally. 

http://www.si.com/vault/1996/12/30/221171/heads-up-largely-out-of-vanity-an-alarming-number-of-nhl-players-are-wearing-flimsy-helmets-that-put-them-at-risk-of-severe-injury

15 hours ago, Drake12 said:

It's the pros ... everything is as individualized as you can possibly imagine. Technology is as good as it gets. 

It's a collision sport. Concussions are random and unavoidable. 

57 minutes ago, poum said:

Teemu was also very smart out there and one of his greatest assets (probably mainly because of his speed) was that he avoided any big hits. Can you think of a time when Teemu really took a good lick? Only time that comes to mind was when he took a vicious shot from Mike Peca while he was in Winnipeg early in his career. That's how you get away with wearing that helmet and generally avoiding head injuries. 

29 minutes ago, ritz10hock said:

Teemu was also very smart out there and one of his greatest assets (probably mainly because of his speed) was that he avoided any big hits. Can you think of a time when Teemu really took a good lick? Only time that comes to mind was when he took a vicious shot from Mike Peca while he was in Winnipeg early in his career. That's how you get away with wearing that helmet and generally avoiding head injuries. 

Then there is. Selanne of all people destroys Pronger. Scotty Nieds makes a cameo. I miss 2007. 

2 hours ago, ritz10hock said:

I remember watching a youtube video (can't post the link now) from a game against the stars in 1998 I think. Teemu got elbowed which led to brawl after brawl. Don't know whether he was seriously injured though.

4 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I remember watching a youtube video (can't post the link now) from a game against the stars in 1998 I think. Teemu got elbowed which led to brawl after brawl. Don't know whether he was seriously injured though.

I remember watching that game live and I've watched the video a number of times.  He gets elbowed in the head against the glass...I forget by whom.  The Ducks went absolutely crazy on the Stars.  I think there were something like six guys left on the Ducks' bench after the brawl.  I'm going to go check, but they had Warren Rychel and Brent Severyn on the team, as well as a couple of other heavyweights who went off.  That brawl was nuts.

8 hours ago, ritz10hock said:

Yea I can....when Gudas de-skated him.  Of course Teemu was an old man by then.

6 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Good question. This was after Kariya had gotten jacked up by Gary Suter, so Selanne getting elbowed was game on for the boys.

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I remember watching that game live and I've watched the video a number of times.  He gets elbowed in the head against the glass...I forget by whom.  The Ducks went absolutely crazy on the Stars.  I think there were something like six guys left on the Ducks' bench after the brawl.  I'm going to go check, but they had Warren Rychel and Brent Severyn on the team, as well as a couple of other heavyweights who went off.  That brawl was nuts.

Craig Ludwig got caught flat footed, so in return for making him look bad, he committed a cobbing foul on Selanne. 

15 minutes ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Yea I can....when Gudas de-skated him.  Of course Teemu was an old man by then.

Gudas = heavily armed, sub-human moron. I don't remember any real punishment for him either, nor retribution. He's still owed.

Stephens is as close to the team as anyone not part of it. DAAAAMMMMN YOU AVS!