The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JackPolo

2016-17 Injuries

On 1/21/2017 at 7:33 AM, DUCKSDOC said:

Not exactly correct. Yes it is the brain moving but the best helmets have layers of materials that reduce the force to the skull and the brain. The old Joffra helmets were like nothing but the technology is MUCH better than that. It works for BB players, race car drivers, amateur boxers and wrestlers 

You're the Doc, but I was under the impression that is more to limit external injury (like skull fracture).

I suppose a helmet can slow down the stopping rate of the skull, thus slightly the rate of brain on internal skull hit, but how big of a change have you seen that to be in newer helmets?  It almost seems like because the threat of an actual fracture is down, the speed is increasing and the net result is more concussions.

This is an excellent talk about the state of the art thinking regarding helmets and sports concussions:

Definitely watch it.

Link, because I don't what's going on above:

www.ted.com/talks/david_camarillo_why_helmets_don_t_prevent_concussions_and_what_might

2 hours ago, Drake12 said:

Stephens is as close to the team as anyone not part of it. DAAAAMMMMN YOU AVS!

Eric StephensVerified account‏@icemancometh

RC said Jakob Silfverberg skated without contact today but next step is whether he'll be able to with contact. Will not play Wed vs. EDM.

7 hours ago, Drake12 said:

Good question. This was after Kariya had gotten jacked up by Gary Suter, so Selanne getting elbowed was game on for the boys.

Craig Ludwig got caught flat footed, so in return for making him look bad, he committed a cobbing foul on Selanne. 

Gudas = heavily armed, sub-human moron. I don't remember any real punishment for him either, nor retribution. He's still owed.

Actually the next time they played, in what was his greatest moment ever as a Duck IMO, Luca Sbisa put a beat down on Gudas.

15 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Actually the next time they played, in what was his greatest moment ever as a Duck IMO, Luca Sbisa put a beat down on Gudas.

Merci vilmal. That was lovely. Especially the slow-mo right.

INJURY UPDATES: Randy Carlyle said Jakob Silfverberg (upper-body injury) will not play tonight. #EDMvsANA

RC said John Gibson (upper-body injury) is a "game-time decision." 

Carlyle: "As I always state, you're never going to get my goaltender."

On 1/24/2017 at 3:52 PM, gorbachav5 said:

Good thing we have enforcers in the lineup to keep these things from happening.

Boll is so pointless. It's the Ducks version of Clifford. I hate that he's the go to guy when the young kids are so much better at the dance. Especially Manson. Love it when he goes psycho. Kinda hoping he gives the Looch another go around tonight.

1 hour ago, poum said:

Boll is so pointless. It's the Ducks version of Clifford. I hate that he's the go to guy when the young kids are so much better at the dance. Especially Manson. Love it when he goes psycho. Kinda hoping he gives the Looch another go around tonight.

Boll is bad but Clifford is still in a league of his own when it comes to being absolutely useless. His one job is literally "hold your own against Boll in a fight" and he can't even do that. 

4 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Boll is bad but Clifford is still in a league of his own when it comes to being absolutely useless. His one job is literally "hold your own against Boll in a fight" and he can't even do that. 

God damnit. You put me my place.

On 1/24/2017 at 7:01 PM, Fisix said:

This is an excellent talk about the state of the art thinking regarding helmets and sports concussions:

Definitely watch it.

Link, because I don't what's going on above:

www.ted.com/talks/david_camarillo_why_helmets_don_t_prevent_concussions_and_what_might

Great video although I'm not sure how practical any sort of sensor airbag would be for hockey. Between the hard ice, the closed space, the puck and the physicality, it's a tough call to try and mitigate concussions at the expense of increasing the risk of major skull injuries. I guess you could look at that and say how there's significantly more concussions in the sport than skull fractures but you could also chalk the latter up to the helmets doing their job. Hopefully one day they'll find a way to stabilize the neck and brain without compromising the skull itself. It's nice to see people actually trying to do something about it though. Who knows, maybe Colin Campbell already e-mailed this video to Bettman with ??? for a subject line. 

So Thompson has been activated off LTIR. We have room for him on the roster as Despres is obviously still on LTIR, and we also only have only 7 defensemen (including Stoner) on the active roster. There isn't cap space to call up Theo/Montour at the moment, so expect to see Holzer every night, at least until Stoner returns. Stoner can't be too far away as it was announced he would miss another 4-6 weeks and that was about 5 weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Mooseduck said:

They just Call Up Theodore tonite...Let the Trade Debate Begin.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Yeah I didn't think they could do that, the LTIR relief must be calculated differently than the pro-rated Theodore contract. Because of where we are at in the season we must have had enough cap space to call him up.

I guess the Vatanen-Palat trade will have to wait. :ph34r: :P

Bad news, it was weird that it looked like Huberdon't went in for a routine shoulder on shoulder hit along the wall, but Sami came out tending to his leg. Hopefully it's a minor tweak and nothing major, I saw nothing, in my unprofessional medical opinion, that indicated a serious LBI. 

On 1/22/2017 at 5:59 AM, Aksun said:

Yeah try sakting in a automobile racing helmet. For example, these head-boxes can survive a full steel spring hitting an open helmet at 100 MPH and Felipe Massa still survived (google it, its grisly, 'Felipe Massa crash 2009') and is a sane man to this day. Here's a healthy picture: 

hqdefault.jpg

Not that a hockey player would ever wear such a bucket of a helmet, but to the technology is certainly there, even if it is focused on protecting external factors like pucks and skates, to an extent, solid ice can be considered an external flying debris. Hitting an aribag in a conventional car crash as opposed to the driving wheel straight up? Your brain still wobbles inside the skull, but not as violently, comparable example.

EXACTLY we can make them better - look st the great players that have been lost because of the brain damage - Pronger, Lemoux, and I am sure we could name a lot more.

The best helmets should be REQUIRED IN THE NHL - or we will have more great player with TBE ( tramatic brain encephalopathy  - just like the NFL. IMHO

Any update on Despres ?? = gone for the year or gone for good ?? Would really like to see him back in the lineup.

1 hour ago, DUCKSDOC said:

Any update on Despres ?? = gone for the year or gone for good ?? Would really like to see him back in the lineup.

I keep forgetting he's on the team. Thing is, if he gets healthy the Ducks will be in even more serious cap trouble. Problem with Depres is he has proven to be extremely injury prone. I don't see Murray trading away players like Vatatnen or Fowler to make room for him. He's been on the team for nearly two full seasons and he has only played 49 games due to injuries. 

2 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

I keep forgetting he's on the team. Thing is, if he gets healthy the Ducks will be in even more serious cap trouble. Problem with Depres is he has proven to be extremely injury prone. I don't see Murray trading away players like Vatatnen or Fowler to make room for him. He's been on the team for nearly two full seasons and he has only played 49 games due to injuries. 

I wouldn't say he's injury prone. He hasn't played due to a concusssion and then recurring symptoms. 

2 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I wouldn't say he's injury prone. He hasn't played due to a concusssion and then recurring symptoms. 

The problem is concussions mount up - some guys seem to more symptoms than others - it amazes,e that the " fighters " in the game don't seems to have as many symptoms as I would expect - with a couple of obvious ones that died tragically from the results.

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

He seems concussion prone. Some players just seem more susceptible to them than others.

5 hours ago, Mooseduck said:

Anaheim Ducks have place Clayton Stoner on LTIR......this means that it frees up some Cap Space. Makes you wonder if they are going to stand Pat or make a Trade...Won't surprise me IF our Ducks do not make a Trade.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I don't think the Ducks could make a significant trade even if they wanted to. They are riding the cap as it is. They would have to unload either Stoner or Despres along with one or two prospects and probably a  high draft pick to get an effective top six scoring winger. The worst case scenario would be them trading Vatanen or Fowler and I honestly don't think even Murray is that shortsighted. 

If Murray was smart he would go to Bieksa and offer him some money to waive his NMC. Not because the Ducks are going to trade him, but because it would allow them to expose him to the expansion draft and protect one of the Ducks longer term assets. (i.e. both Vatanen and Silfverberg). I think the likelihood that Vegas would take Bieska is remote at best.

Getting back to the topic at hand I don't think Murray does anything spectacular at the deadline. Especially since the Ducks' scoring is stunted and their ability to go on a long winning streak is dubious at best. I would think differently if the Ducks were demonstrating championship potential  but at this point in the season and the Ducks' overall play through 54 games I don't see it happening.