The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NiemiWillRise

Julius Nattinen finally waking up in his new OHL team

Nättinen did tally 2 points in his first game after joining Spitfires from the camp,but since then it has been somewhat difficult for Natty

but in last 2 games,Natty has collected 4 assists,so maybe he is back at it again. (he is still without a goal this season)

3 assists in his last game

3 beautiful passes from Natty,brought back good memories from his rookie season.

Julius is still,i think... our best center prospect that we have,he has abilities in 2 way game...

but is better in offensive role.

Dayam. He struggles to start the year and comes out with that!? Nasty.

I like his game, he's the poster boy for "intriguing upside". Not to be a downer, but his skating needs some work. 

What kind of sorcery was that?! 

53 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I like his game, he's the poster boy for "intriguing upside". Not to be a downer, but his skating needs some work. 

Yeah, I'd like to think the organization mentioned that to him as something to work on. Good hands are great, but the feet need to be able to do the dance too. Not Subban-level edgework, because that's just inhuman, but Sid/McJesus stridework'd be nice.

2 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

The hands were nice and from other highlights it looks like he has above average vision and instincts, but the skating was the first thing I noticed about that video, and not in a good way.

On 8.11.2016 at 9:26 PM, AustinDuck27 said:

SH,Natty just finishing a 1min SH shift,he was tired as mother...

I recall a last season highlight,where he displays speed,so no to worry.

I still say Natty is our future 1st line center and the guy who inherits Getzys mantle.

He has size (6 foot 2 / 189cm), he is good at own end,good at face-offs(not great but good,53-56% avg per season)

His hockey IQ awesome,he has great hands for both (scoring and passing),plays both PK and PP really well

sure he still needs power to his nimble 192 pound body,he is 19,so that shouldn't be a problem.

All in all, we have excellent center growing interest in the juniors,next step: NHL??.

Imagine JN is as good as he projects to be, then I'd definitely drool over a Center depth of Getz - Kes - Nattinen - Vermette. I think it is too early to project him as a 1st or 2nd liner, but 3d and 4th he can be given a try already.

11 hours ago, Aksun said:

Imagine JN is as good as he projects to be, then I'd definitely drool over a Center depth of Getz - Kes - Nattinen - Vermette. I think it is too early to project him as a 1st or 2nd liner, but 3d and 4th he can be given a try already.

I doubt Vermette is around when Nattinen is ready to contribute.  I could see Nattinen getting a cup of coffee here next year, but I expect Vermette to be taken in the expansion draft.  I think Wagner is our 4th line center for the next several years.

10 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I doubt Vermette is around when Nattinen is ready to contribute.  I could see Nattinen getting a cup of coffee here next year, but I expect Vermette to be taken in the expansion draft.  I think Wagner is our 4th line center for the next several years.

Hope Wags doesn't get claimed now...our center depth is still shallow and it's very worrisome.

On 11/12/2016 at 7:36 AM, NiemiWillRise said:

I still say Natty is our future 1st line center and the guy who inherits Getzys mantle

Rakell.

Watching Orange Julius in the Memorial Cup Final right now. Quite the entertaining game- tied 3-3 and neither team has held a lead for more than a minute or two.

If he's this good, where some people say he might take over Getzlaf's spot as number 1 center one day, what are the chances you think he makes the team next season as our number 3 center?  Possibly on a line with Perry and Ritchie?

46 minutes ago, duck123 said:

If he's this good, where some people say he might take over Getzlaf's spot as number 1 center one day, what are the chances you think he makes the team next season as our number 3 center?  Possibly on a line with Perry and Ritchie?

If Nattinen ends up as our number 1 center someday that either means he takes an unforeseeable leap forward or the Ducks are going to be a bad team.  No offense to Nattinen - maybe he does end up as a decent third line center, with the upside of a second line center.  But he just had a really down year at age 20 in his second year of juniors when he should have been dominating the league.  I'm sure there are some extenuating circumstances there, but you can't completely explain away a drop from 71 points at age 19 to 38 points at age 20.

That sounds to me like a kid who needs to show something at the AHL level before he's given a chance in the NHL.  I think it's more likely Sam Steel makes the team out of camp than Nattinen.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

If Nattinen ends up as our number 1 center someday that either means he takes an unforeseeable leap forward or the Ducks are going to be a bad team.  No offense to Nattinen - maybe he does end up as a decent third line center, with the upside of a second line center.  But he just had a really down year at age 20 in his second year of juniors when he should have been dominating the league.  I'm sure there are some extenuating circumstances there, but you can't completely explain away a drop from 71 points at age 19 to 38 points at age 20.

That sounds to me like a kid who needs to show something at the AHL level before he's given a chance in the NHL.  I think it's more likely Sam Steel makes the team out of camp than Nattinen.

Exactly. The next Getzlaf? I don't see anyone giving him that kind of clout. His down year may be related to changing teams, linemates, injuries... yadda yadda. As you said, there may be some explanation for the down year, but none of the eyes-on reports that I've seen have been very rosy. The takeaway I have is that his play has looked uninspired this season and some have questioned his drive. He did pick it up in the Mem Cup run and winning was hopefully a positive boost. But I agree, he has a lot to prove at the AHL level, not that he couldn't get a look with the big club if he blows everyone away at camp, but that's not the safe bet right now. 

Steel just needs to bulk up a bit, that's all I see that really gives me pause with him making the roster next season, or if the team likes the idea of him letting him simmer another year as juniors still has some good experience to offer him when he's "the guy" on his team next year.

25 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Exactly. The next Getzlaf? I don't see anyone giving him that kind of clout. His down year may be related to changing teams, linemates, injuries... yadda yadda. As you said, there may be some explanation for the down year, but none of the eyes-on reports that I've seen have been very rosy. The takeaway I have is that his play has looked uninspired this season and some have questioned his drive. He did pick it up in the Mem Cup run and winning was hopefully a positive boost. But I agree, he has a lot to prove at the AHL level, not that he couldn't get a look with the big club if he blows everyone away at camp, but that's not the safe bet right now. 

Steel just needs to bulk up a bit, that's all I see that really gives me pause with him making the roster next season, or if the team likes the idea of him letting him simmer another year as juniors still has some good experience to offer him when he's "the guy" on his team next year.

I actually don't know much about this player.  I just know that a comment above, from NiemiWillRise, said: "I still say Natty is our future 1st line center and the guy who inherits Getzys mantle." 

I am hoping Sam Steel makes the team next season, although I also think a year in the AHL might do Steel some good.  I also think a year in the AHL might do Nattinen some good.  Supposedly, he is very good at faceoffs.  Good skater. "Hard and accurate shot."  Is responsible on all areas of ice.  So, at the very least, I guess he could possibly make a decent number 4 center one day. But, you never know--maybe he would make a good shut-down center one day as well. (Who aren't always needed to produce points.)  Time will tell....

GO DUCKS!

12 minutes ago, duck123 said:

I actually don't know much about this player.  I just know that a comment above, from NiemiWillRise, said: "I still say Natty is our future 1st line center and the guy who inherits Getzys mantle." 

I am hoping Sam Steel makes the team next season, although I also think a year in the AHL might do Steel some good.  I also think a year in the AHL might do Nattinen some good.  Supposedly, he is very good at faceoffs.  Good skater. "Hard and accurate shot."  Is responsible on all areas of ice.  So, at the very least, I guess he could possibly make a decent number 4 center one day. But, you never know--maybe he would make a good shut-down center one day as well. (Who aren't always needed to produce points.)  Time will tell....

GO DUCKS!

Nattinen is still a prospect, but after the season he just had, a season in the AHL to get acclimated to a faster game and bigger players is probably in the cards unless he absolutely blows everyone away in camp.  

With Steel (and Max Jones), the Ducks will either have to play them on the NHL team or send them back to juniors.  Both are too young to play in the AHL under the current agreement.  Ideally both would be in the AHL next season as well with the option of coming up some time during the year, but that's not an option.

11 minutes ago, duck123 said:

GO DUCKS!

Natty is Finnish, NWR was probably wrapped in a Finnish flag while posting that. He's the same poster that just proposed we trade Vatanen and Lindholm (damaged goods now of course) and go with a top-4 next season of Theodore-Montour-Bieksa-Manson. Oh, and Fowler converting to LW to start the year. 

Both of those guys would be better off developing more. Steel isn't AHL eligible for another season, so it's juniors or the NHL for him next year. Natty has good size, so that is working for him.

1 hour ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Natty is Finnish, NWR was probably wrapped in a Finnish flag while posting that. He's the same poster that just proposed we trade Vatanen and Lindholm (damaged goods now of course) and go with a top-4 next season of Theodore-Montour-Bieksa-Manson. Oh, and Fowler converting to LW to start the year. 

Both of those guys would be better off developing more. Steel isn't AHL eligible for another season, so it's juniors or the NHL for him next year. Natty has good size, so that is working for him.

I did notice he was Finnish too.  :)  Yeah, a year in the AHL for Nattinen would probably be good.  As for Steel--that will be a tough decision.  He already scored the most points in and was voted MVP of the WHL. Wondering if there is a chance we see him make the big club.

I cannot help but think that having a playmaker on his line, like Steel, would really help pick up Perry's game.  And having the following line just seems like a very good line--and one that, if they play very well, could challenge Getzlaf's line for our top line before season is done.  (Which would help us tremendously, come playoff time.): 

-Ritchie  -Steel  -Perry