Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NiemiWillRise

Sam Steel 16-17 season update thread

76 posts in this topic

I am. The kid is a scoring machine and somehow gets cut like that... 

Either the CAN team is really stacked, or Sam's numbers are a reflection of playing on a ridiculously good WHL team which may be overshadowing some shortcomings in his game. After Etem, I'm wary of getting too hyped over strong WHL scoring numbers.

That said, he's lighting that league on fire, I hope he's using this WJ cut as motivation.

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I am. The kid is a scoring machine and somehow gets cut like that... 

Either the CAN team is really stacked, or Sam's numbers are a reflection of playing on a ridiculously good WHL team which may be overshadowing some shortcomings in his game. After Etem, I'm wary of getting too hyped over strong WHL scoring numbers.

That said, he's lighting that league on fire, I hope he's using this WJ cut as motivation.

Publicly liked.

So many good players took the next step when they got hosed by some hockey org, I'm right there with you, AD.

2 people like this

So Steel scored his 70th point tonight,

Steel scored 3 goals and an assist vs Hitmen.

30 goals,70 points in 31 games (2.26 ppg) | +/- +35

4 people like this

21 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

That's crazy. lol Canada for not taking him in the WJC

Worked out for our boy Terry!

Seriously though, Steel is on a ramage. 

I had a comment about Canada and Matthews but I forgot it thanks to the boards being stupid and erased it. But seriously TO, giving sass to a Southwestern born kid for being happy his former WJC team won? I guess I can't root for anyone playing for Finland, Sweden, Canada or Czech money on the team anymore. 

22 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

That's crazy. lol Canada for not taking him in the WJC

He'll still be eligible next year...

Steel ticks another 3 points,this time goal with 2 assists,

so that makes it 6 points in 2 games,25th multipoint game for Steel.

76 points in 35 games (2.17 ppg)

Pats duo Steel&Brooks combined stats: 56G + 94A =  150PTS | +74 | 7 GWG | 42 PIM | 33 PPPTS (10+23) | 12 SHPTS (5+8)

1 person likes this

Steel scored a goal and three assists tonight = 10 points in his last 3 games     WOW!!!

80 points so far for Steel this season in 36 games and thats 2.22 points per game.

1 person likes this

ANYBODY seen him in person - does he looks as great as his numbers would suggest - think he might get called up this year ???

23 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

ANYBODY seen him in person - does he looks as great as his numbers would suggest - think he might get called up this year ???

I don't think he can be called up from the Juniors. Or rather, his season in the Juniors has to end first. Then they usually get a few games in the end of AHL season to see how they can handle playing against bigger, faster, tougher opponents. 

To add (if I'm not mistaken), players still in Juniors can play 10 games to start a season with the NHL but must either be sent back to the Juniors for the remainder of the season or stay up with the NHL with no return to the Juniors (ala the Fowler route).

9 hours ago, poum said:

I don't think he can be called up from the Juniors. Or rather, his season in the Juniors has to end first. Then they usually get a few games in the end of AHL season to see how they can handle playing against bigger, faster, tougher opponents. 

To add (if I'm not mistaken), players still in Juniors can play 10 games to start a season with the NHL but must either be sent back to the Juniors for the remainder of the season or stay up with the NHL with no return to the Juniors (ala the Fowler route).

I don't think your last sentence is true.  I think the 10 game rule has to do with burning a season on the player's entry level contract, i.e. you could send the player back to juniors after 10 games, but the player is essentially going to be treated as if he'd played a whole season in the NHL, so you might as well keep him with the big club.

I could be wrong on that, but I think players have been sent back to juniors after 10 games (maybe this happened to Sbisa?), they just lose a season on their ELC.

1 person likes this

On 1/22/2017 at 3:26 AM, DUCKSDOC said:

I'm planning on going to see him in person in a couple of weeks when his team plays in Edmonton. I'll post something about how he looks after the game.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't think your last sentence is true.  I think the 10 game rule has to do with burning a season on the player's entry level contract, i.e. you could send the player back to juniors after 10 games, but the player is essentially going to be treated as if he'd played a whole season in the NHL, so you might as well keep him with the big club.

I could be wrong on that, but I think players have been sent back to juniors after 10 games (maybe this happened to Sbisa?), they just lose a season on their ELC.

You are correct... the 10 NHL games are related to the CBA and have nothing to do with the CHL (Canadian Hockey League, the organization beneath which stand the OHL, the WHL, and the QMJHL) .

The issue is the CHL -NHL agreement, and it exists so that the CHL can keep young talent. Players drafted and playing in the CHL are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 YO or have completed 4 seasons in major juniors.

The problem is if Sam Steel comes all the way up to the Ducks, they don't have the option to move him up and down from AHL San Diego. It's all the way back to the CHL. Why is this a problem? Because if he's that close to being NHL ready he's most certainly AHL ready... and teams have development coaches at the AHL that can work with said players. Having the ability to play your prized prospects in the AHL while they get coaching from your top coaching personnel is something that most organizations would want.

3 people like this

The Man of Steel has 36goals 51assists 87pts after 40Games. Sam is Looking Good.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

43 minutes ago, Mooseduck said:

The Man of Steel has 36goals 51assists 87pts after 40Games. Sam is Looking Good.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Heh, man of Steel, I like that , Moose. Hopefully he's a little bit like Cogs in that way. Unlike Max Jones who seems to be constantly injured.

1 person likes this