The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NiemiWillRise

Sam Steel 16-17 season update thread

13 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

At the risk of sounding like Ducks123, is there any chance we see him next year with the Ducks?  The Ducks could BADLY use another playmaking pivot.  If Steel could hack it, putting Ritchie up with Getzlaf and Perry, and putting Steel between Rakell and Kase (or a forward we trade for) sounds good to me.

He has to play another year in juniors I believe. Not sure if he could leap frog straight to the NHL just yet, though it's not out of the question. It really comes down to whether the Ducks want to rush his development. To me, this is a guy we don't want to screw up, he could get one more year under his belt dominating the WHL and most likely be a shoe in for Team Canada. 

8 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

How's Max Jones playing? I haven't heard too much about him 

I haven't seen him this season, but going by the numbers and others' assessments, it seems that he was off to a killer start, then missed a big chunk to injuries. Since his return, he's been good, but not great, Understandable though, just needs time to get back up to speed.

4 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Nice.

I can't picture a single player on this roster doing that, we need a fast forward button for this guy, he can't get here soon enough.

Didn't Silfverberg do something very similar to Pickard? I could also see Rakell doing it with his silky mitts

1 minute ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Didn't Silfverberg do something very similar to Pickard? I could also see Rakell doing it with his silky mitts

I haven't seen Silf flash moves like that, and Rakell seems more... dangly, not that they're any less skilled. It was more of a style thing I was referring to.

1 minute ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I haven't seen Silf flash moves like that, and Rakell seems more... dangly, not that they're any less skilled. It was more of a style thing I was referring to.

Not as flashy with the hands, but still similar. I could just be misunderstanding what you're saying, I don't mean to seem argumentative. I do agree that Riky is slippery and has a wicked shot, not as flashy or quite as good hand work

Damn, you pulled out the video evidence! :lol:

That's not far off, one of Silfvy's more dazzling moments, but still not quite as much hand work as you put it. I'll stand corrected on JS though, forgot about that one. I usually just picture a quick move or two to squeeze by the defender and then his nasty wrister. 

Either way, it's nice to see another player coming up the ranks that might be showing more than the standard middle six level skill that has been in our wheelhouse the last several years. The Ducks are really turning it around with the forward drafting lately. 

10 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Damn, you pulled out the video evidence! :lol:

That's not far off, one of Silfvy's more dazzling moments, but still not quite as much hand work as you put it. I'll stand corrected on JS though, forgot about that one. I usually just picture a quick move or two to squeeze by the defender and then his nasty wrister. 

Either way, it's nice to see another player coming up the ranks that might be showing more than the standard middle six level skill that has been in our wheelhouse the last several years. The Ducks are really turning it around with the forward drafting lately. 

Definitely, we draft defense well and our forwards don't always turn out. I really have high hopes for Steel and Jones. Larson looked good in his couple games up as well. Just as a whole this organization has done a good job keeping us relevant without burning the barn in trades. We are in a really good situation with how many B+ and up defensive prospects and now Jones and Steel are doing well 

2 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Definitely, we draft defense well and our forwards don't always turn out. I really have high hopes for Steel and Jones. Larson looked good in his couple games up as well. Just as a whole this organization has done a good job keeping us relevant without burning the barn in trades. We are in a really good situation with how many B+ and up defensive prospects and now Jones and Sterl are doing well 

I think they've turned a corner with drafting forwards, the early returns on the last few draft years looks fantastic. We're still drafting gems on the back end, and in recent years they drafted both Andersen and Gibson. That's an amateur scouting team firing on all cylinders. 

10 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

He has to play another year in juniors I believe. Not sure if he could leap frog straight to the NHL just yet, though it's not out of the question. It really comes down to whether the Ducks want to rush his development. To me, this is a guy we don't want to screw up, he could get one more year under his belt dominating the WHL and most likely be a shoe in for Team Canada. 

Yeah, if he doesn't make the NHL team, he's back in juniors.  I agree we don't want to screw him up, but I'm ready for another forward or two who can score. I know all the standard caveats apply, but this kid looks like an, ahem, steal. 

Anyway, I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on a 10-game tryout if he looks good in camp next season.

15 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I think they've turned a corner with drafting forwards, the early returns on the last few draft years looks fantastic. We're still drafting gems on the back end, and in recent years they drafted both Andersen and Gibson. That's an amateur scouting team firing on all cylinders. 

Anaheim drafts well. Now if only BM would stop waiving them and losing them for nothing.

13 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Yeah, if he doesn't make the NHL team, he's back in juniors.  I agree we don't want to screw him up, but I'm ready for another forward or two who can score. I know all the standard caveats apply, but this kid looks like an, ahem, steal. 

Anyway, I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on a 10-game tryout if he looks good in camp next season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him start the year with Anaheim then get sent down after his 10 games to dominate the WHL for 1 more season.

20 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Not as flashy with the hands, but still similar. I could just be misunderstanding what you're saying, I don't mean to seem argumentative. I do agree that Riky is slippery and has a wicked shot, not as flashy or quite as good hand work

Definitely a great move by Silf, but even more impressive was the hustle from where Silf was when the play started to the position he ended up to receive the pass.

I went to see the Pats play the Oil Kings last night specifically to watch Steel play. He didn't stand out on the ice as much as I expected him to do. He didn't have overwhelming speed or anything like that. But he was positionally sound and an effective forechecker, generating multiple scoring chances from turnovers on the forecheck. I was surprised to see that the top scorer in the WHL is a regular part of the team's penalty kill unit, but as I said, he looks like a positionally sound player and was solid at both ends of the ice. Even if his scoring doesn't translate to the NHL he will likely be a pretty good 2-way forward.

The one negative I noticed was his size. He plays a pretty gritty game, getting into the corners and going to the front of the net and making life difficult for the goaltender (he actually had a goal waived off for making contact with the goalie). But he didn't look as big as a lot of the other guys on the ice, so he likely isn't going to be as effective at the NHL level against bigger guys. He needs to bulk up and put on more muscle before he has a chance of making the Ducks roster. That said, he's only 19 years old, so plenty of time for him to do that.

On 2/11/2017 at 11:39 AM, nieder said:

I went to see the Pats play the Oil Kings last night specifically to watch Steel play. He didn't stand out on the ice as much as I expected him to do. He didn't have overwhelming speed or anything like that. But he was positionally sound and an effective forechecker, generating multiple scoring chances from turnovers on the forecheck. I was surprised to see that the top scorer in the WHL is a regular part of the team's penalty kill unit, but as I said, he looks like a positionally sound player and was solid at both ends of the ice. Even if his scoring doesn't translate to the NHL he will likely be a pretty good 2-way forward.

The one negative I noticed was his size. He plays a pretty gritty game, getting into the corners and going to the front of the net and making life difficult for the goaltender (he actually had a goal waived off for making contact with the goalie). But he didn't look as big as a lot of the other guys on the ice, so he likely isn't going to be as effective at the NHL level against bigger guys. He needs to bulk up and put on more muscle before he has a chance of making the Ducks roster. That said, he's only 19 years old, so plenty of time for him to do that.

It would be NICE to see him up on the big team just so we can see what he has. Pretty much as we did with Cam (although he made the team right out of training camp.)  Steel might be a bust right now or he could be a gem - lets give him a cup of coffee. IMHO

Sam Steel is an inch taller than Matthew Perrault! That's something. A fair chunk of us here upset about not throwing a qualifying offer to the undersized point producer. 

6 hours ago, NiemiWillRise said:

100 POINTS BABY!!! CONGRATS SAMMY!!!

Steel gets 1 assist tonight and gets his WHL and CHL leading 100th point.

39g+61a=100 pts

We should call him up to fill in for Vermette already.

On 2/15/2017 at 4:57 AM, Aksun said:

We should call him up to fill in for Vermette already.

We can't call up players from Juniors unfortunately. First time we could possibly see Steel in Anaheim is the start of next season.

OK, guys, let bring ourselves down to earth. Remember, Emerson Etem who scored 62 goals in juniors?

Not every WHL star becomes an impact player in NHL level, but it's good to realize that we have at least one really good

prospect at forward position.

6 hours ago, nieder said:

We can't call up players from Juniors unfortunately. First time we could possibly see Steel in Anaheim is the start of next season.

Thank you for clarifying! I'll be hoping for a Garbutt instead :unsure:

On 2/16/2017 at 8:47 PM, FanSince1993 said:

OK, guys, let bring ourselves down to earth. Remember, Emerson Etem who scored 62 goals in juniors?

Not every WHL star becomes an impact player in NHL level, but it's good to realize that we have at least one really good

prospect at forward position.

This is true, but I think Steel is a more well rounded player than Etem. He's defensively sound and plays a more gritty game in the corners. Steel has a better chance at being a regular NHL player than Etem did IMO.

14 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Well, damn...

That was disgusting. Hope he gets a decent suspension.