The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hoxxey

Perry. What's wrong/???

Any theories as to what is wrong with him?  He looks slow.  Can't receive a pass.  Certainly can't score.  What's going on????  Everyone has slumps but this seems different.

I think Perry has been skating a lot better the last few weeks. I've been noticing him getting to more loose pucks, getting on the backcheck. Especially compared to November/December where it looked like he was skating in mud. But he isn't doing a heck of a lot with the puck. When he gets into scoring position he's looking to pass instead of shoot. It seems like a confidence thing to me as he doesn't seem to want to shoot the puck.

Only he knows but last night he kept dropping his stick and was continually tripping up ,falling to the ice.He needs to shake off this slump soon and soon.Teams will start to quit worrying about him and focus more on shutting down Getz and Rakell.

He also gets worked over more than i remember, by almost every opposing player.  He bounces away from the hit more, and doesn't seem to retain possession as much.

I can't put my finger on it.  There's not an obvious protection flinch or lag on one side or the other.  Just... a fragility I haven't seen before.  Possibly also a quicker (much quicker) exhaustion time.  As if his prior personality was 100% Perry, and now he's 60% Perry, but nothing taking up that missing 40%.

1 hour ago, Mooseduck said:

What's Wrong with Perry?...Simple He is on scoring Drought...Snakebit Hopefully he can go on a Scoring Streak.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Hope that you are right on this one Moose !!

On 1/20/2017 at 11:22 AM, ianjwhitelaw@gmail.com said:

Any theories as to what is wrong with him?  He looks slow.  Can't receive a pass.  Certainly can't score.  What's going on????  Everyone has slumps but this seems different.

It's on Getzlaf... oh wait, fake news.

On 1/20/2017 at 11:22 AM, ianjwhitelaw@gmail.com said:

He is married - HAPPILY ????

When you hit 30 in sports you lose that split second of reaction time that you had in your 20's.  It just seems like the type of game Perry plays that the split second he's lost in reaction time has tremendously hurt his game.  He's not the same player.  When he's in front of the net and the puck becomes available it seems defensemen are getting to it before he does.  CPears has been my favorite Duck since he first came up to the big club and it's hard for me to see him like this.

This is true in all sports, but sometimes even the best of the best go through spurts where they aren't themselves. Could last a week, a month or a year. Not saying he will be the same guy that can put up 40 goals ever again, but he's only 31.

3 hours ago, ritz10hock said:

This is true in all sports, but sometimes even the best of the best go through spurts where they aren't themselves. Could last a week, a month or a year. Not saying he will be the same guy that can put up 40 goals ever again, but he's only 31.

Best?...perry never been the best,but anyways...maybe perry just isn't good enough player anymore,anyone thought of that?.

He might be only 31 (turning 32 in 3 months),but i guess thats his "decline number",some players just get the number earlier than others,

and perry has been slowly on decline road anyways,this season the decline just been more steep than previously.

Also what might effect Perrys game (other than 9 mill a year),he is SC,OG,WCUP,WC,MCUP,OHL,WJC champion

he has won everything a hockey player can win,mentally, he just might not care anymore, (zero motivation)

i think JToews could share this same problem,but who really knows, really. 

For example,what pushed Teemu forwards in his career was the fact he hadnt won anything in his career

and after he won the SC at what? 36?,he was really closed to end his career,but later found his passion

to the game again,where as Perry was only 22 when he became a SC winner,at 25 olympic gold winner,

he doesn't have that Teemu's passion to the game.

1 hour ago, NiemiWillRise said:

Best?...perry never been the best,but anyways...maybe perry just isn't good enough player anymore,anyone thought of that?.

He might be only 31 (turning 32 in 3 months),but i guess thats his "decline number",some players just get the number earlier than others,

and perry has been slowly on decline road anyways,this season the decline just been more steep than previously.

I didn't say Perry was the best...

15 hours ago, NiemiWillRise said:

Perry was league MVP 6 years ago. Literally the definition of the best.

1 hour ago, AustinDuck27 said:

My dog often enjoys watching games with me. When I am stressed out, my dog leaves the room. I haven't seen my dog in months... thank, Perry.

Lol yeah, my usual checklist for watching a Duck's game on TV.
Beer: check
Chips-salsa: check

Tylenol: check

Netflix movie set up for commercials and between periods: check

Dog hiding behind couch: check

Relax.....no animals were hurt in the making of this post.

1 hour ago, wataduk said:

Lol yeah, my usual checklist for watching a Duck's game on TV.
Beer: check
Chips-salsa: check

Tylenol: check

Netflix movie set up for commercials and between periods: check

Dog hiding behind couch: check

Relax.....no animals were hurt in the making of this post.

Ha, used to be beer, then switched to hard liquor after the beginning of last season, now it's strong coffee to get me through watching this snoozefest of a team.

But on topic, I do think some physical decline due to injuries and excessive wear and tear probably factors into Perry's extended slump, but I suspect there is a mental aspect as well. Nobody drops off a cliff this suddenly without a specific reason (usually a notable injury).

I think he'll bounce back to first liner play at some point, hopefully during this season.

1 hour ago, Mooseduck said:

Let's hope Ducks make it to the Playoffs. IF he goes on a Tear then it will be something GREAT.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Of course we will make it to the Playoffs  !!! Keep the spirit UP

GO DUCKS !!!

7 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Ha, used to be beer, then switched to hard liquor after the beginning of last season, now it's strong coffee to get me through watching this snoozefest of a team.

But on topic, I do think some physical decline due to injuries and excessive wear and tear probably factors into Perry's extended slump, but I suspect there is a mental aspect as well. Nobody drops off a cliff this suddenly without a specific reason (usually a notable injury).

I think he'll bounce back to first liner play at some point, hopefully during this season.

I just think that the game is slowly passing Corey Perry by.
He is just not built for the speed game that the league has slowly become.

Oh and try a bit of Captain Morgan in that coffee.
Best of both worlds. You stay awake and you............well................don't really care what's on the ice!

12 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Who knows maybe Perry taking us all for a ride with below average regular season stats followed by killer numbers in the playoffs!  :wacko:

He certainly owes us after that nonsense last year against Team Mustard Stain. 

17 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

Of course we will make it to the Playoffs  !!! Keep the spirit UP

GO DUCKS !!!

If we don't make a trade for someone who can put the puck in the net, we're going to be one and done.

1 hour ago, DuckRogers13 said:

If we don't make a trade for someone who can put the puck in the net, we're going to be one and done.

Sorry that I have to agree with you - maybe 2 and done unless Gibby can channel him up some JSG to steal a couple or rounds. Love to get a top scoring winger - even if for the last part of the season. Getz and Perry's window is closing - unless they start drinking COGSBLOOD and turn into Jaromir Jagr IMHO

Shocking 5 on 5 numbers for Perry this season

in 51 games: 6 goals,12 assists,thats 18,....18! points

100 shots on goal,only 100!, 5 on 5, in 51 games...

thats less than 2 (1.96) shots per game,all this with 15:16 total 5 on 5 ice time per game.

Now this shooting thing isn't new stuff from Perry,his 5 on 5 shot avg has declined for some time now

13-14 his 5 on 5 avg was still top notch,almost 3 per game (81 games) 15.5 shot accuracy

14-15 his 5 on 5 avg dropped to 2.35 (67 games) 17% shot accuracy

15-16 his 5 on 5 avg dropped even more,to 2.1 (82 games) 16% shot accuracy

The biggest difference is,for this season his shot accuracy number has plummeted,its 6.3%

can we really hold on to a player who gets paid almost 9 mill a year with those kind of declining 5 on 5 stats

i say; no we can't.