The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hoxxey

Perry. What's wrong/???

On January 23, 2017 at 3:42 PM, DUCKSDOC said:

Sorry that I have to agree with you - maybe 2 and done unless Gibby can channel him up some JSG to steal a couple or rounds. Love to get a top scoring winger - even if for the last part of the season. Getz and Perry's window is closing - unless they start drinking COGSBLOOD and turn into Jaromir Jagr IMHO

#TROOF

5 hours ago, NiemiWillRise said:

Shocking 5 on 5 numbers for Perry this season

in 51 games: 6 goals,12 assists,thats 18,....18! points

100 shots on goal,only 100!, 5 on 5, in 51 games...

thats less than 2 (1.96) shots per game,all this with 15:16 total 5 on 5 ice time per game.

Now this shooting thing isn't new stuff from Perry,his 5 on 5 shot avg has declined for some time now

13-14 his 5 on 5 avg was still top notch,almost 3 per game (81 games) 15.5 shot accuracy

14-15 his 5 on 5 avg dropped to 2.35 (67 games) 17% shot accuracy

15-16 his 5 on 5 avg dropped even more,to 2.1 (82 games) 16% shot accuracy

The biggest difference is,for this season his shot accuracy number has plummeted,its 6.3%

can we really hold on to a player who gets paid almost 9 mill a year with those kind of declining 5 on 5 stats

i say; no we can't.

If you put it that way, he's our Dustin Brown. Now we can all collectively deal with it.

But I honestly think he's having a down year mentally, not pulling his weight. He's good at Assists now. If he's not potting goals, he needs to either pick up the defensive play and skating (:D) or the physical play and creating space and chances, currently he can only bounce assists off of his ass, that's unacceptable for $8 player, we need more. If there's an injury, LTIR him and get the cap like CHI did with Kane. But it isn't an injury. He's just worn down from his prime years and can't fit in this speedy NHL. He can't be a Rakell or a Silf, he's something different. But we need more than just assists from the guy, this is a given. Everyone agrees he needs to pull more weight.

1 hour ago, Aksun said:

If you put it that way, he's our Dustin Brown. Now we can all collectively deal with it.

But I honestly think he's having a down year mentally, not pulling his weight. He's good at Assists now. If he's not potting goals, he needs to either pick up the defensive play and skating (:D) or the physical play and creating space and chances, currently he can only bounce assists off of his ass, that's unacceptable for $8 player, we need more. If there's an injury, LTIR him and get the cap like CHI did with Kane. But it isn't an injury. He's just worn down from his prime years and can't fit in this speedy NHL. He can't be a Rakell or a Silf, he's something different. But we need more than just assists from the guy, this is a given. Everyone agrees he needs to pull more weight.

Corey Perry cannot pick up the "physical play" to create space etc, because he is the primary target of every referee on the ice in any game....if he tries to pick it up the only space created is for the opposition while he sits in the bin.  Period.   He knows it and it shows in the way he [doesn't] play.

9 hours ago, NiemiWillRise said:

thats less than 2 (1.96) shots per game,all this with 15:16 total 5 on 5 ice time per game.

Now this shooting thing isn't new stuff from Perry,his 5 on 5 shot avg has declined for some time now

13-14 his 5 on 5 avg was still top notch,almost 3 per game (81 games) 15.5 shot accuracy

The biggest difference is,for this season his shot accuracy number has plummeted,its 6.3%

can we really hold on to a player who gets paid almost 9 mill a year with those kind of declining 5 on 5 stats

i say; no we can't.  

Interesting that his shot average has dropped each of the last 3 years. It doesn't really matter though as long as he's scoring goals. The big difference this year is that shooting percentage - 16% down to 6% is a big drop especially considering how consistent that percentage has been over the last 3 seasons. 

I still have to believe it's a down year for him and that he will come back next season and get that shooting percentage up again. He still had a decent season last year and I'm not sure he forgot how to play hockey over one summer. Besides, with his contract we are basically stuck with him anyway. 

6 hours ago, Launchpad-McQuack said:

Its time for the Twins to go, and take BM with them.

We need a new GM thats willing to do something about these two.

Gets worse every year. Somehow it gets EVEN worse in the postseason.  

I'm not sure how you would go about moving 2 guys with $8m contracts and NMCs. Also Getz has been pretty good this season but has been saddled with an anchor on his line in Perry. 

I'm about to hop on the fire Murray bandwagon though. The move from Boudreau to RC has completely destroyed the identity of this team and made them much easier to play against imo. If Anaheim doesn't win at least one playoff round this year then BM should be on the chopping block. 

He just can't skate any more.  Players can survive being below average in a certain skill as long as that skill isn't awful.  Perry's skating ability has just gotten too bad for him to remain an effective player (think Jered Weaver's fastball for you Angel fans out there). Whether that's an injury he can recover from, I don't know.  Perry was never fast, but he was faster than he is now and he was always strong on his skates.  He gets knocked over like it's nothing now.

I really hope he can recover, because we're paying him a lot of money over the next several years.

18 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

He just can't skate any more.  Players can survive being below average in a certain skill as long as that skill isn't awful.  Perry's skating ability has just gotten too bad for him to remain an effective player (think Jered Weaver's fastball for you Angel fans out there). Whether that's an injury he can recover from, I don't know.  Perry was never fast, but he was faster than he is now and he was always strong on his skates.  He gets knocked over like it's nothing now.

I really hope he can recover, because we're paying him a lot of money over the next several years.

I think this is true, but I am also incredibly disappointed in his hands this season. Perry used to be able to dangle and weave at low speeds and nobody could take the puck away from him due to his sheer will to keep the puck. And his ability to sneak pucks through holes in goaltenders was legendary. Now the puck just pops right off his stick every time he tries to make a move, and he can't pick a corner to save his life. I'm suspicious that it's a concentration/motivation thing. You always hate to question a professional athlete's heart, but it sure seems like Perry just isn't committed to being a great player anymore. Could be tentativeness due to injury, could be complacency, could be age, who knows. I'm not seeing him really make a determined effort night in and night out anymore though. 

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think this is true, but I am also incredibly disappointed in his hands this season. Perry used to be able to dangle and weave at low speeds and nobody could take the puck away from him due to his sheer will to keep the puck. And his ability to sneak pucks through holes in goaltenders was legendary. Now the puck just pops right off his stick every time he tries to make a move, and he can't pick a corner to save his life. I'm suspicious that it's a concentration/motivation thing. You always hate to question a professional athlete's heart, but it sure seems like Perry just isn't committed to being a great player anymore. Could be tentativeness due to injury, could be complacency, could be age, who knows. I'm not seeing him really make a determined effort night in and night out anymore though. 

This is total speculation and could be way off base, since I'm not a hockey player and never have been, but I think the two are linked.  His hands are definitely poor (that first goal Minnesota scored was all on him missing a perfectly placed, flat pass from Rakell), but I think at least part of it is because he's cheating.  He knows he doesn't have the quickness or strength to maneuver around or past guys any more, and so he's either a step short in getting where he needs to be and he's reaching for the puck, or he starts to make his move before he even has the puck knowing that he has to to get where he needs to go without getting checked.  When the skating strength was there, he could rely on his position and concentrate on controlling the puck.  I think the lack of skating ability is causing him to be in poor position to receive and control the puck.  It's like an older hitter who can't hit breaking stuff any more.  It's not that he doesn't recognize the curve ball or that he's lost his ability to make contact, it's that he's lost raw bat speed.  In order to hit the fastball, he has to start his swing earlier, so it's harder to adjust to the offspeed stuff.

That's my uninformed, inexpert speculation.  Take it for what it's worth.

All NHL players have to evolve their game as they age. Some sooner than others. I'm starting to think all that physical abuse has taken it's toll on Perry soon than any of us would like. If he can evolve into a play maker with a high assist stat then I think he will be fine. But if his overall point total doesn't improve by this time next season I would not be surprised if Murray started shopping him regardless of the NMC. $8.6 million is too much to spend for what he is producing right now.

34 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

All NHL players have to evolve their game as they age. Some sooner than others. I'm starting to think all that physical abuse has taken it's toll on Perry soon than any of us would like. If he can evolve into a play maker with a high assist stat then I think he will be fine. But if his overall point total doesn't improve by this time next season I would not be surprised if Murray started shopping him regardless of the NMC. $8.6 million is too much to spend for what he is producing right now.

AGREE - however he may just be having a bad season " and we won't really know until this season is over and the  beginning of next season. I would really like RC/BM to sit him in the Press Box for a game or two and let him observe from ABOVE. Perhaps that might get his juices flowing - I know it is difficult for " the bosses " to do it but it would show him WHAT he needs to do - it happens all the time in other sports i.e. baseball, hockey, basketball. Sit him in a game in which we really are not worried about. IMHO

2 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

I'm not sure I buy into this idea that the NHL has sped up too much. or that the abuse has taken it's toll. The drop off from last season to this season is just too dramatic for it to be something like that. It's like he forgot how to hockey between last season and this season.

Certainly not scientific, but ----- he's filthy rich, he's won about everything he can, and he's recently married with a beautiful wife.  

My guess is he is completely unmotivated on the ice.   Why?  He's already got it all.....

3 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

You literally CANNOT shop a player with a no movement clause, whether you think the player is producing up to his salary or not. The only way that happens is if Perry signs off on it, and what exactly would his incentive be to do that? Because he's a good samaritan and wants to help the Ducks get out of his contract? Please. 

I think we're all a little off on this one. Perry has never been a good skater ... it's not his game. Even if he is a touch slower, I don't see how that would affect his ability to score goals from five feet away which is where he's always done most of his damage. It's not like Teemu where when he lost a step, there goes his game altogether. 

Now ... Perry is well below his career average in shots on goal per game (although he's actually higher than he was last year) AND is scoring at only 6 percent, which is so incredibly low compared to his career average. That's a bad combination. Why is his shooting percentage so low? Bad luck. Why isn't he putting as many shots on goal as he used to? Probably because this offense on that line now runs through Rakell and not Perry, and he's probably trying to find his way a little bit not being the focal point. 

I was very confident that Perry would come out like gangbusters this year and have a great regular season. He obviously hasn't. Is he the same player that won the MVP? Obviously not. Is he overpaid? Yeah. Will he still be a valuable player for this team? Without question. He's a streaky guy to begin with, and I'm sure the playoff series (especially since he cost his coach his job) probably got in his head a little bit. Even for the greatest goal scorers, when you get in a slump that goalie looks bigger and bigger while the net looks smaller and smaller. 

Just one more thing I'd like to add, even though I don't see any way it will happen .... if BM could somehow magically get Perry and/or Getzlaf to waive their NMC clauses, he's effectively admitting defeat with this group of Ducks and a rebuild is imminent. No return for those two will lead to a Stanley Cup this year, next year and probably for the foreseeable future. Whether they're playing like stars or not, those two are the faces of the franchise. Without them, the Ducks are the Arizona Coyotes. And remember, those two were severely underpaid in their previous contracts and BM (with some of the blame going to Burke) didn't take advantage of it. Those years from 2008-09 to 2012-13 where Perry and Getzlaf were making roughly a combined $10.6 against the cap were crucial seasons to take advantage of a window where your franchise players were bargains. Instead, because of some bad financial decisions, the Ducks largely were a one-line team that relied on two players 5-on-5 and some PP magic from Teemu. 

The best way to win a Cup in today's NHL is to win on young, cheap talent when your star players aren't at the top of the food chain yet. That's how the Blackhawks were when Kane and Toews were each making $6.3 million and that's how the Ducks were prior to Getzlaf and Perry's current deals. 

I think we can all agree that the Ducks' championship window is pretty damn close to being over if it's not already. That means Perry and Getzlaf are likely going to take a lot of heat around here for not delivering a Cup since Niedermayer and Pronger left and it became *their* team. For those that will go down that path, just remember that management did them no favors during the prime of their careers when the two of them carried the franchise on their backs. 

Trade Vats for a scoring LW, shift Rakell to RW, and are we really any worse off without Perry in his current form? It's not realistic to move him with his contract, but his importance to the team is nowhere near Getzlaf's right now (and going forward).

And bad luck? Perry isn't just having bad luck, he just sucks this season. If he was playing well by his standards, but just couldn't buy a goal, it'd be easy to see that on the ice. But he's lethargic, both mentally and physically, super weak on the puck, and he's Jason Blake-ing the few shots he does take. No picking corners, no finding seams, just blindly stuffing it in the goalie's midsection.

He's been unlucky on a few good chances this season, but the rest is just him being garbage.

I think Perry is a guy that always had a little more sheer will than the guys on the ice around him. He had to, the NHL isn't like being an elite player for the London Knights, if Perry didn't have a high level of drive, he'd have been getting clowned out of the league for being a big awkward guy who couldn't skate, wasn't defensive, and didn't possess an elite shot to compensate. Stajan and Ballard (?) did a number on his legs, I think his stops, starts, and balance are worse now. I also don't see Perry as a guy that trains very hard normally, so he hasn't come back strong from his injuries. Add in some mental complacency, the loss off that extra will/drive, and here we are. 

Perry just needs to want it again, he looks like a guy mailing it in. It starts with the offseason training, he and Getz both need to get with Cogliano and get more serious about their 30+ year old war torn bodies. 

1 hour ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Trade Vats for a scoring LW, shift Rakell to RW, and are we really any worse off without Perry in his current form? It's not realistic to move him with his contract, but his importance to the team is nowhere near Getzlaf's right now (and going forward).

And bad luck? Perry isn't just having bad luck, he just sucks this season. If he was playing well by his standards, but just couldn't buy a goal, it'd be easy to see that on the ice. But he's lethargic, both mentally and physically, super weak on the puck, and he's Jason Blake-ing the few shots he does take. No picking corners, no finding seams, just blindly stuffing it in the goalie's midsection.

He's been unlucky on a few good chances this season, but the rest is just him being garbage.

You must really like Bieksa getting 22-24 minutes per night, because if Vats goes that is exactly what's going to happen.  :(

I like your idea of Raks on Getzlaf's RW though. Anyone else wonder what would happen if RC tried Perry on the left side? If Perry's issue is just complacency, maybe his fire would be reignited by trying a new role on the team. Learning a new position might at least motivate him to work a little harder to master it, no? Being on the opposite side of center might discourage him from trying to take it wide up the wall too, since he'd be on his back-hand when he enters the zone.  He is obviously way too slow to carry the puck up the wall now and it seems to frequently result in him getting pinched against the boards by a D-man. Or worse.... 

On 1/25/2017 at 11:40 PM, NiemiWillRise said:

i say; no we can't.  

Do we have any choice?  It's not like other teams are going to bang down the door to take on that salary with those numbers.  

19 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

You must really like Bieksa getting 22-24 minutes per night, because if Vats goes that is exactly what's going to happen.  :(

Where did I say mid-season? ;) Dream up any scenario you like that equates to a solid blueline, I'm just saying that we are very very close to being able to replace Perry's services. As opposed to Getzlaf, who would be the first domino in the rebuild if moved. Neither guy is going anywhere though, so it's moot. If Perry (or Getz) was bad enough that Murray & Co. actually wanted to explore pushing him to waive and accept a trade, that would mean his negative value around the league would be off the charts. He'd make Clarkson's contract look like Wayne Simmonds's's's.

I'm not even sure why people keep harping on trading the twins, it's not happening. 

Sorry to spam so many posts here, but another thought that lines up with the feeling that he's lost some motivation:

Even if the physical tools are diminished for one reason or another, where has the pest gone? This isn't Bruce anymore, discouraging shenanigans (which never stopped Perry anyhow), this is Retro-Randy, the guy that requires an enforcer in 2017. Our team is only slightly behind Dallas and Calgary this season in penalties per game, and we lead the league with 31 fighting majors sitting comfortably ahead of Dallas' 25. I see nothing keeping Perry gun shy about mixing it up. When's the last time he slashed or speared someone, fell on a goalie, ran his mouth and had to be separated??? Etc., etc.

Tells me his heart just isn't in it as much. 

2 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I think Perry is a guy that always had a little more sheer will than the guys on the ice around him. He had to, the NHL isn't like being an elite player for the London Knights, if Perry didn't have a high level of drive, he'd have been getting clowned out of the league for being a big awkward guy who couldn't skate, wasn't defensive, and didn't possess an elite shot to compensate. Stajan and Ballard (?) did a number on his legs, I think his stops, starts, and balance are worse now. I also don't see Perry as a guy that trains very hard normally, so he hasn't come back strong from his injuries. Add in some mental complacency, the loss off that extra will/drive, and here we are. 

Perry just needs to want it again, he looks like a guy mailing it in. It starts with the offseason training, he and Getz both need to get with Cogliano and get more serious about their 30+ year old war torn bodies. 

You could be right, AD. Admittedly I haven't been able to watch as much of the Ducks during the first half as I would've liked and I'll be looking closely at Perry over the final 30 games or so. It's easy for us to say he's just playing bad, but we don't know if he's playing through an injury. Most of all, I just find it hard to believe that a player of his talent could just fall off a cliff like he has. 

16 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

Let me add - I think Perry's line mates aren't doing him any favors.  Not only does Perry have to adjust to his age, but so do his line mates.  Rakell appears frustrated that he has to deal with Perry's lethargy, when they're on the same line.  Getz is more trying to be helpful, but he's still passing to Perry as if he's Perry from 3 years ago.  They aren't gelling.

That's why I think we need to move Perry to the third line, and Getz' line will be with Ritchie (lighthouse in front of goal) and Rakell (speed on attack and defense and crazy good shot selection).  D-line will have to be adjusted to cover for Getz not getting back on D, though Getz has been markedly better in the past few weeks (after that horrible let down in overtime a few weeks ago).  The rest of the lines stay the same, with Perry and Boll switching off in 3rd and 4th lines.  I think Perry will be able to mesh better with those lines, and basically have a chance to control how each play develops... and I think that'll motivate him.  Getz completely controls his line, regardless of who else is on it (even Kessler defers to him when they're on the same line).

2 hours ago, ritz10hock said:

You could be right, AD. Admittedly I haven't been able to watch as much of the Ducks during the first half as I would've liked and I'll be looking closely at Perry over the final 30 games or so. It's easy for us to say he's just playing bad, but we don't know if he's playing through an injury. Most of all, I just find it hard to believe that a player of his talent could just fall off a cliff like he has. 

I'm with you on this (bolded). We had some of these same discussions about Getzlaf before, and the same logic applied. Guys of that caliber don't lose everything overnight, there is usually a specific reason behind it (or two, or five). Getzlaf has shown that, given time, he comes back around, and I believe Perry can as well. 

2 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I'm with you on this (bolded). We had some of these same discussions about Getzlaf before, and the same logic applied. Guys of that caliber don't lose everything overnight, there is usually a specific reason behind it (or two, or five). Getzlaf has shown that, given time, he comes back around, and I believe Perry can as well. 

Dany Heatley says hello.

Seriously though, Heatley could be a cautionary tale for a guy like Perry. A few significant injuries after age 30 and Heatley's game fell off a cliff. We could certainly be seeing the same thing happen to Perry. 

For both Perry and Getz, they don't seem as mentally resilient as other guys like Cogs and Kes have this season. Maybe they're missing all of Bruce's f-bombs in the locker room, I don't know. But when Dehydrated Donkey Dung's not workin', they certainly don't want to work through it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Getz didn't get that surgery he needed-which I don't think he did-he's letting the team down. Playoffs are one thing, but regular season? I suspect Perry of being injured, but also needs his noggin worked on too. Steal a stick or two, see if he doesn't get that Dehydrated Donkey Dung-eating grin back.

19 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Dany Heatley says hello.

Seriously though, Heatley could be a cautionary tale for a guy like Perry. A few significant injuries after age 30 and Heatley's game fell off a cliff. We could certainly be seeing the same thing happen to Perry. 

Heatley looked very good in preseason here (after reportedly working hard that summer to get in great shape... take note, Perry), then became a disaster only after blowing out his groin shortly after. 

Your point stands though, I agree with your conclusion. Injuries are specific reason for decline, and Perry has been used and abused... otherwise, guys just don't see their physical skills disappear over the summer just because the hit 30+.

26 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Dany Heatley says hello.

Scary example. It's amazing how much Heatley regressed over the course of 2 years.

9 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Rigt on !!! All of the above and perhaps some things that we might know about.  Your are correct to consider the brutal beating that he takes game after game. I remember a player - think his number was 8 and he was done with hockey - then we had the strike -and this guy ( can't remember his name - think it was FLASH or something ). He was off for a year and he figured his career was OVER !!! Then he came back and took his team to the STANLEY CUP !!!! I hope that Perry gets well and plays hockey like it was FUN - JUST LIKE IT USED TO BE.

GO DUCKS !!!!

GO PERRY !!!

15 hours ago, Mooseduck said:

Hope so too final 31 Games Our Ducks must go STREAKING WITH FURY to the END...GO DUCKS!.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

If our Ducks go streaking (with or without fury) they'll probably be suspended. Imagine all the nudity.