Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hoxxey

Perry. What's wrong/???

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

BAD BREAK: @NHLJets centre Mathieu Perreault suffered a broken finger from Corey Perry's Jan. 23 slash. Details: tsn.ca/jets-perreault…

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR NOT SIGNING WITH US FOR CHEAP AHAHAHA!!!

/silly fanboy rant over

Seriously though, Perry couldn't hurt a fly this year, let alone irratate an opponent's goalie and we get this? Must be something about glass, MP and breaking easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Aksun said:

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR NOT SIGNING WITH US FOR CHEAP AHAHAHA!!!

/silly fanboy rant over

Seriously though, Perry couldn't hurt a fly this year, let alone irratate an opponent's goalie and we get this? Must be something about glass, MP and breaking easily.

MP was having a cry to the media about it. Apparently he thinks Perry broke his finger on purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, nieder said:

MP was having a cry to the media about it. Apparently he thinks Perry broke his finger on purpose.

We all know he wouldn't really do it on purpose having been broken that many times himself by other team's goons. Even if he's lost all his skill, he did not lose his class. Only by accident. Shame on MP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perry is so weak this year, Glassieu Perreault is the only guy he could injure. I'm sure the slash was deliberate, but I doubt he meant to break his thumb. Unfortunate for Matty, but in a twisted way it's good to know the feisty Perry is still alive in that skating carcass wearing #10.

Side note, it occurred to me that while Heatley is a rough, and frightening comparable for Perry's decline, I remembered Jiggy's old BFF Ryan Smyth. Smyth had a very similar career to Perry in terms of play style and physical abuse, I could see the backside of Perry's career following a similar downward trajectory... minus the crying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Aksun said:

We all know he wouldn't really do it on purpose having been broken that many times himself by other team's goons. Even if he's lost all his skill, he did not lose his class. Only by accident. Shame on MP.

You can't lose what you never had. Perry is was a really great player for us, but he's never played the game with class. It's why he's so universally hated everywhere but Anaheim. He's always been an embellisher and a cheap shot-artist. He spears other players in the groin. He intentionally falls on goaltenders' legs, with at a bare minimum a reckless disregard for the possibility of injuring their legs/knees. He's also been suspended twice for head shots, with his blindside flying elbow to Giroux's noggin being one of the more blatantly dirty plays I've seen (basically the same as Stevens' hit on Kariya, but with a leading elbow instead of a shoulder). During his prime he was also one of the league leaders year in and year out in slashing penalties, and even if you slash a guy on the hands without the specific intent to injure him, you do it knowing that injury is a strong possibility. For example, I don't for a moment think Jared Cowen intended to break Silfverberg's hand either, but when you slash a guy like that and end up injuring him then you can't claim you didn't mean to do it because you knew what the risks were.  Many of us (me included) whined like crazy (and still do) about Cowen's slash, so I don't have a problem with MP doing it about Perry's slash. Perry might have just ended MP's season. Slashing a guy's hands/wrists is a play that has a high risk of injury associated with it, and if a competitor was that reckless with my livelihood I would be ticked off too.  

Perry antics have often been a kick as long as he was pumping in 35-40+ goals each season. We'll see how he's tolerated now that he's an $8.5M 10-15 goal-scorer dragging down our top line.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that hit on Giroux was so long ago I forgot it even happened. Had to go back and watch it on Youtube to even remember it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, Perry agitates, and has crossed the line a couple times, but let's not act like the guy isn't on the recieving end of a crap ton of dirty/cheap plays on a nightly basis.

He dishes it out less than he gets it, I guarantee that.

As a Ducks fan, I have no trouble admitting that the Perry hate is justified, but as a fan I can also see that he takes (invites) a ton of abuse that gets overlooked just because he's Perry. I also support retaliation, so take it fwiw. When you slashed Selanne's hands, he cursed you out in two languages and one of his teammates would go after you, preserving his Lady Byng bid. Slash Perry and he's going to do something in return. I like it that way, same as I liked Prongs for that. The blatant, unwarranted dangerous stuff I could do without. The Giroux hit was outside of the norm for Perry, even by his own standards.

I don't blame Jets fans for raging over it though, I know I would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this a while back but for those who didn't see it...

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/04/14/anaheim-ducks-corey-perry-stanley-cup-playoffs

At eight, he played up an age group and scored 205 goals in one season. His success put a target on his back, and Geoff says parents and coaches would yell at their kids to do whatever it took to get Corey out of a game.

“I watched him play and knew the crap he put up with,” says Geoff, a former Ontario Provincial Police officer. “I didn’t think it was necessary that every coach tried to take him out of the game, every game. I told him basically if they hack you across the wrist, break theirs. You have to protect yourself out there.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Meh, Perry agitates, and has crossed the line a couple times, but let's not act like the guy isn't on the recieving end of a crap ton of dirty/cheap plays on a nightly basis.

He dishes it out less than he gets it, I guarantee that.

As a Ducks fan, I have no trouble admitting that the Perry hate is justified, but as a fan I can also see that he takes (invites) a ton of abuse that gets overlooked just because he's Perry. I also support retaliation, so take it fwiw. When you slashed Selanne's hands, he cursed you out in two languages and one of his teammates would go after you, preserving his Lady Byng bid. Slash Perry and he's going to do something in return. I like it that way, same as I liked Prongs for that. The blatant, unwarranted dangerous stuff I could do without. The Giroux hit was outside of the norm for Perry, even by his own standards.

I don't blame Jets fans for raging over it though, I know I would.

I think everyone around the league would acknowledge that. But we also have to be honest and acknowledge that Perry invites much of the abuse through his own antics. I get annoyed when the calls aren't made against him too. But in the back of my mind, whenever I see someone abusing him with no call, I also can't help but wonder what Perry said or did to deserve it. I would be that 99% of the time he probably did something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I posted this a while back but for those who didn't see it...

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/04/14/anaheim-ducks-corey-perry-stanley-cup-playoffs

At eight, he played up an age group and scored 205 goals in one season. His success put a target on his back, and Geoff says parents and coaches would yell at their kids to do whatever it took to get Corey out of a game.

“I watched him play and knew the crap he put up with,” says Geoff, a former Ontario Provincial Police officer. “I didn’t think it was necessary that every coach tried to take him out of the game, every game. I told him basically if they hack you across the wrist, break theirs. You have to protect yourself out there.”

This is very interesting. I've never looked at it that way, but even if he is intentionally targeting people, I still believe he has no intent to injure. I believe in Perry much as I believe in RC still. This will cost me some nerves, it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aksun said:

This is very interesting. I've never looked at it that way, but even if he is intentionally targeting people, I still believe he has no intent to injure. I believe in Perry much as I believe in RC still. This will cost me some nerves, it seems.

I don't think Perry is targeting people. I think he gives back what he gets. If he gets slashed, he's going to slash that player. I don't think causing damage (broken bone) is his intent. I think his intent is, you slash me, i slash you. If you get hurt, that's on you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the same guy who dismissed his need for off season training so much so that the GM almost lost it, literally, citing this player's willful disregard for coming to camp out of shape (fall of 2015), was anything but stellar last year except for the tail end of the regular season? The same guy who was missing in the playoffs last year and thus has been MIA for almost a year?  Perry has been sad faced (literally) since KB was signed and BM made a long term commitment to a natural born leader, BM kind of guy (i.e. KES) and his peer, KB, which disrupted the supposed leadership party, big men on campus, strangle hold his twin and thus by default his twin had on the team and the locker room. 

And we are speculating as to the who what when or whys???

The article above, about Perry's hockey upbringing, points out a key aspect (IMO), he is not a natural borne leader. A fighter in that he will fight back, yes. Resilient, yes. Talent yes. Leadership no. More so what does Perry do when rattled or ruffled: strike back. Not necessarily by defeating your opponent - the try that *$%* again and I will score on you and embarrass you. No, he retaliates by way of tit for tat retaliation. So how does Perry, the quite one, whom says little, introverted, retaliate when he may be dealing with both locker room issues and physical issues........you might be seeing it (punish people by not caring as much?). 

Mind you, this does not make him terrible but he is not playing like the asset he was 14-15 season or prior ever since BM publicly admonished players for their lack of commitment and attitude and shook up the roster with the intention of tweaking the team chemistry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the reports are true, Getz, Perry and Fowler were happy to be getting RC back. Fowler is shining (he did put in a lot of work in the offseason possibly for fear of RC), Getz is doing fine (I think his line mates matter), and Perry has regressed. For whatever reason, it seems to me that RC has not done any better at creating team chemistry as BB did. There seems to be a rift between those that show up to training camp in shape and ready to play and those that dial it in. Kes has hinted at it without actually saying it. It's good to have Thompson back and we all missed Silfver. We'll see how it plays out down the stretch. If Perry doesn't snap out of this rut, it's going to be some tough years ahead paying that salary for a non-performing player. For those that want to throw out his numbers (specifically assists), anyone watching every game knows Perry is not giving 100%, whether it be mental or a physical injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sclives said:

This is the same guy who dismissed his need for off season training so much so that the GM almost lost it, literally, citing this player's willful disregard for coming to camp out of shape (fall of 2015), was anything but stellar last year except for the tail end of the regular season? The same guy who was missing in the playoffs last year and thus has been MIA for almost a year?  Perry has been sad faced (literally) since KB was signed and BM made a long term commitment to a natural born leader, BM kind of guy (i.e. KES) and his peer, KB, which disrupted the supposed leadership party, big men on campus, strangle hold his twin and thus by default his twin had on the team and the locker room. 

And we are speculating as to the who what when or whys???

The article above, about Perry's hockey upbringing, points out a key aspect (IMO), he is not a natural borne leader. A fighter in that he will fight back, yes. Resilient, yes. Talent yes. Leadership no. More so what does Perry do when rattled or ruffled: strike back. Not necessarily by defeating your opponent - the try that *$%* again and I will score on you and embarrass you. No, he retaliates by way of tit for tat retaliation. So how does Perry, the quite one, whom says little, introverted, retaliate when he may be dealing with both locker room issues and physical issues........you might be seeing it (punish people by not caring as much?). 

Mind you, this does not make him terrible but he is not playing like the asset he was 14-15 season or prior ever since BM publicly admonished players for their lack of commitment and attitude and shook up the roster with the intention of tweaking the team chemistry.

The bolded would jive with the admission by Getz that he and Pears were pouting after they were separated at the beginning of last season. 

If there is a problem between Perry's ears, you also have to wonder if BM's additions of so many former foes of Perry have impacted his effort level. Kesler, Bieksa, Garbutt as the obvious ones, but Perry has even had issues with Bernier and Vermette's best buddy Doan in the past. That's a lot of Perry "hate" concentrated in a very small locker room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sclives said:

This is the same guy who dismissed his need for off season training so much so that the GM almost lost it, literally, citing this player's willful disregard for coming to camp out of shape (fall of 2015), was anything but stellar last year except for the tail end of the regular season? The same guy who was missing in the playoffs last year and thus has been MIA for almost a year?  Perry has been sad faced (literally) since KB was signed and BM made a long term commitment to a natural born leader, BM kind of guy (i.e. KES) and his peer, KB, which disrupted the supposed leadership party, big men on campus, strangle hold his twin and thus by default his twin had on the team and the locker room. 

And we are speculating as to the who what when or whys???

The article above, about Perry's hockey upbringing, points out a key aspect (IMO), he is not a natural borne leader. A fighter in that he will fight back, yes. Resilient, yes. Talent yes. Leadership no. More so what does Perry do when rattled or ruffled: strike back. Not necessarily by defeating your opponent - the try that *$%* again and I will score on you and embarrass you. No, he retaliates by way of tit for tat retaliation. So how does Perry, the quite one, whom says little, introverted, retaliate when he may be dealing with both locker room issues and physical issues........you might be seeing it (punish people by not caring as much?). 

Mind you, this does not make him terrible but he is not playing like the asset he was 14-15 season or prior ever since BM publicly admonished players for their lack of commitment and attitude and shook up the roster with the intention of tweaking the team chemistry.

I guess Perry should post videos on his instagram like Jonathan Toews to show the whole world how hard he's working and what a great leader he is? Please. 

BM dismissed the need to be smart about contracts and salary. Maybe he should worry about that. Meanwhile, I guess we can sit here and come up with more BS reasons to bash one of the leading scorers in franchise history. 

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

The bolded would jive with the admission by Getz that he and Pears were pouting after they were separated at the beginning of last season. 

If there is a problem between Perry's ears, you also have to wonder if BM's additions of so many former foes of Perry have impacted his effort level. Kesler, Bieksa, Garbutt as the obvious ones, but Perry has even had issues with Bernier and Vermette's best buddy Doan in the past. That's a lot of Perry "hate" concentrated in a very small locker room.

And Selanne vs. Pronger was a thing too. Until it wasn't. I'm not in the locker room (obviously), but this seems like it should be low on the list of reasons why Perry suddenly sucks at hockey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, over this last month I think Perry has been playing much better. He's skating with the puck more, cutting to the middle, screening the goalie, etc. He still looks like he's looking to pass more and is hesitant to shoot it seems. He's put up a good amount of assists and is third on the team in points and second in assists. I feel like he's still producing to an extent and as strange as it is to see him with all those helpers, I do want to give him some credit as it seems like he's playing better and harder as of late, I really want to see him get on the board with some more goals to reward the better play. I don't personally think as of late he's been as bad as people make it seem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Personally, over this last month I think Perry has been playing much better. He's skating with the puck more, cutting to the middle, screening the goalie, etc. He still looks like he's looking to pass more and is hesitant to shoot it seems. He's put up a good amount of assists and is third on the team in points and second in assists. I feel like he's still producing to an extent and as strange as it is to see him with all those helpers, I do want to give him some credit as it seems like he's playing better and harder as of late, I really want to see him get on the board with some more goals to reward the better play. I don't personally think as of late he's been as bad as people make it seem.

It makes sense that as Perry ages and his hands deteriorate  that he would evolve his game to become more of a play maker than a pure scorer. Reading that article above it even mentioned that earlier in his career he played a more balanced game with regard to his point production. As long  as he is producing points  I have decided to keep my criticism regarding the lack of goals scored down to a minimum unless he starts consistently falling down on the  job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

It makes sense that as Perry ages and his hands deteriorate  that he would evolve his game to become more of a play maker than a pure scorer. Reading that article above it even mentioned that earlier in his career he played a more balanced game with regard to his point production. As long  as he is producing points  I have decided to keep my criticism regarding the lack of goals scored down to a minimum unless he starts consistently falling down on the  job.

With a guy like Getzlaf on your line the entire time you've played in the NHL pretty much it's easier to sit back and just put home pucks given to you, and I feel that's become Rakell's job. Perry with 9 goals and 27 assists coupled with Rakell's 21 goals and 9 assists should be telling of the dynamics of our RPG line. Just seems that both Perry and Getz look to get Riky the puck. I believe Perry is well aware of his lack of goal scoring and it seems that he's just handing the puck over to others sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

It makes sense that as Perry ages and his hands deteriorate  that he would evolve his game to become more of a play maker than a pure scorer. Reading that article above it even mentioned that earlier in his career he played a more balanced game with regard to his point production. As long  as he is producing points  I have decided to keep my criticism regarding the lack of goals scored down to a minimum unless he starts consistently falling down on the  job.

So here's the thing... if Perry transforms his game to be more of a passer then that's fine as long as he produces like you said.... question is then do you keep him and Getz (another passer) on the same line? Or do we want both of them to play hot potato with the puck each night?

Giggling to each other as they keep passing the puck Back and forth saying "here take it!" "No, you take it" "no, please be my guest do the honors" "no, no, no you're the captain and so you should shoot it" "but you would look great scoring this one" ........and so on until the puck gets stripped away 

Anyhow, Should he be moved to another line to capitalize more on his turning of a new clover (so to be speak)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

So here's the thing... if Perry transforms his game to be more of a passer then that's fine as long as he produces like you said.... question is then do you keep him and Getz (another passer) on the same line? Or do we want both of them to play hot potato with the puck each night?

Giggling to each other as they keep passing the puck Back and forth saying "here take it!" "No, you take it" "no, please be my guest do the honors" "no, no, no you're the captain and so you should shoot it" "but you would look great scoring this one" ........and so on until the puck gets stripped away 

Anyhow, Should he be moved to another line to capitalize more on his turning of a new clover (so to be speak)?

My answer is an emphatic no. Perry is not that good of a passer, and we don't have the depth scoring to taker advantage of it even if he was.  He just needs to get back to what he does best, and that's scoring goals from the dirty areas. Take the needle or do whatever he needs to do to get his body right and then just get himself back in front of the net where he belongs. Who cares if he can skate between the blue lines. Perry earns his money 5 feet in front of the goal, and that's where he needs to get back to. I frankly don't like seeing him float around the perimeter trying to collect assists. It's not his game and he's just not effective out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope, in a way, that some sort of injury is hindering his performance.  But my gut tells me he's just lost a step, lost his reaction time.  Most of the time when the puck is in the dirty area for him to attack it's gone before he reacts or he reacts late to the puck and it gets deflected when he tries to score.  He loses one on one battles with the puck nearly 100% of the time.  He's falling over his own feet constantly.  He'll hold on to the puck too long because he can't pull the trigger fast enough when he skates in on net then go around the net to the other side then he'll end up losing the puck.  He just looks old out there.  He's always been my favorite player and it's painful to see him like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WolfgangDuck said:

I hope, in a way, that some sort of injury is hindering his performance.  But my gut tells me he's just lost a step, lost his reaction time.  Most of the time when the puck is in the dirty area for him to attack it's gone before he reacts or he reacts late to the puck and it gets deflected when he tries to score.  He loses one on one battles with the puck nearly 100% of the time.  He's falling over his own feet constantly.  He'll hold on to the puck too long because he can't pull the trigger fast enough when he skates in on net then go around the net to the other side then he'll end up losing the puck.  He just looks old out there.  He's always been my favorite player and it's painful to see him like this.

AGREE - I to hope that he is dealing with an injury that he can recover from - to be the " Scorry Perry " of old

GO DUCKS !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RobD360 said:

So here's the thing... if Perry transforms his game to be more of a passer then that's fine as long as he produces like you said.... question is then do you keep him and Getz (another passer) on the same line? Or do we want both of them to play hot potato with the puck each night?

Giggling to each other as they keep passing the puck Back and forth saying "here take it!" "No, you take it" "no, please be my guest do the honors" "no, no, no you're the captain and so you should shoot it" "but you would look great scoring this one" ........and so on until the puck gets stripped away 

Anyhow, Should he be moved to another line to capitalize more on his turning of a new clover (so to be speak)?

The majority of Perry's assists aren't great passes to the scorer, they're secondary assists. Getz makes Perry look like a good passer because they've played together so long, it's like they know where the other one will be. Unfortunately, Perry has been missing a lot of Getz's passes which seem to be caused by Getz expecting Perry to be a little further than he is and Perry just quits skating if it isn't on his tape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here to bring some more gloom about Perry and his 5 on 5 play :PB)

 

Perry in his last 24 games 5 on 5 :

- 1 goal

- 4 assists

- 1.7 shots on goal per game avg

- 0.7 hits per game avg

- 14:53 ice time per game avg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NiemiWillRise said:

Here to bring some more gloom about Perry and his 5 on 5 play :PB)

 

Perry in his last 24 games 5 on 5 :

- 1 goal

- 4 assists

- 1.7 shots on goal per game avg

- 0.7 hits per game avg

- 14:53 ice time per game avg

That's pathetic. 

As a team, we're bottom ten in ES goals and Perry (and Getzlaf) are a huge reason for that. We also have a middling PK. That doesn't bode well for the playoffs. We are solid at 5v5 defense (somehow), and are riding a top five powerplay (this can't be right, can it?), but aside from that, it's no wonder that we struggle against better teams. Murray needs to address the scoring issues and figure out a way to reduce our dependence on Bieksa if this team is going anywhere. 

I don't see Perry just snapping out of this, I still think he might eventually, but for now we'll have to win in spite of him somehow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

That's pathetic. 

As a team, we're bottom ten in ES goals and Perry (and Getzlaf) are a huge reason for that. We also have a middling PK. That doesn't bode well for the playoffs. We are solid at 5v5 defense (somehow), and are riding a top five powerplay (this can't be right, can it?), but aside from that, it's no wonder that we struggle against better teams. Murray needs to address the scoring issues and figure out a way to reduce our dependence on Bieksa if this team is going anywhere. 

I don't see Perry just snapping out of this, I still think he might eventually, but for now we'll have to win in spite of him somehow. 

I don't know if it's still the case after tonight, but aren't we a middling PP and top 5 on the PK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2017 at 4:24 PM, DuckFan4Life said:

The majority of Perry's assists aren't great passes to the scorer, they're secondary assists. Getz makes Perry look like a good passer because they've played together so long, it's like they know where the other one will be. Unfortunately, Perry has been missing a lot of Getz's passes which seem to be caused by Getz expecting Perry to be a little further than he is and Perry just quits skating if it isn't on his tape.

14 of Perry's 26 assists are primary assists, so technically that's not true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't know if it's still the case after tonight, but aren't we a middling PP and top 5 on the PK?

I was looking at goals for/against in those categories as opposed to pp and pk % which makes more sense. You're correct, #4 pk and #9 pp in the league. That sure doesn't match the way it looks on the ice, that's for sure. 

So I guess we're basically riding on good special teams, with decent 5v5 defense (probably more due to goaltending... again, eye test fail on the D front) and miserable 5v5 scoring.

Same conclusion, we're pretenders right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't know if it's still the case after tonight, but aren't we a middling PP and top 5 on the PK?

[Edit from the top.] AustinJerk27 beat me to it. 

Top 10 for the PP (tied with Cal for 9/10th respectively) and 4th on the PK. And I wanna say one of the annoucers mentioned tonight Tampa's goal was the first conceded while on the PK in six games. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...