DuckFan4Life

Vermette Suspended 10 Games

100 posts in this topic

Per Bob McKenzie

NHL discipline docket: DET Gustav Nyquist hearing 2 pm. ANA Antoine Vermette gets Category II (10 game suspension) for abuse of official.

1 person likes this

It would not surprise me if Vermette is given 10 Games...Foolish thing he did. Wags will be called up once it's been made Offical.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

The bottom 9 is going to be extremely ugly these next 10 games. Don't expect much secondary scoring.

1 person likes this

It's a weak call, but it meets criteria.  Bummer is the lousy officiating continues.  Shandor Alfonso, the involved linesman is new (under 100 games experience).  We're stuck with him for another 1000 games.  Even with the suspension being handed out, I hope young Shandor gets some supervisory counseling on how to drop the puck.  He needs some work.

Edited by Fowl
2 people like this

I read last night (I don't remember where) Vermette will continue to count against the cap so it won't be easy to call someone up from the Gulls. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of Boll.

It was also mentioned that this may push BM to make that trade for a winger. 

I'll look for the article. 

Shandor?  This is because he built that crazy building in New York City to worship Gozer and bring about the end of the world.

As for Vermette, the league is right.  Guys who abuse officials have to be punished severely.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Fowl said:

It's a weak call, but it meets criteria.  Bummer is the lousy officiating continues.  Shandor Alfonso, the involved linesman is new (under 100 games experience).  We're stuck with him for another 1000 games.  Even with the suspension being handed out, I hope young Shandor gets some supervisory counseling on how to drop the puck.  He needs some work.

RC said Vermette was trying to get the linesman's attention to blow the whistle for a false draw. I don't think anyone is going to believe that. 

The zebras were terrible at the end of the Washington game with 2 non-calls and continued to be worse last night. As Ducks' fans, we should be used to it but it sure doesn't get any easier. 

It wasn't just linesman Shandor that whole group of officials made their minds up to slant their calls throughout the game one way it was pretty obvious.

Edited by mulcher
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

RC said Vermette was trying to get the linesman's attention to blow the whistle for a false draw. I don't think anyone is going to believe that. 

The zebras were terrible at the end of the Washington game with 2 non-calls and continued to be worse last night. As Ducks' fans, we should be used to it but it sure doesn't get any easier. 

Honestly , that's what it looked like he tried to do abliet in a very stupid way. 

Last couple games have gotten pretty negligent. In Washington they missed a pretty hard cross check almost into the boards very dangerously. In Minny they miss dropped like 3 faceoffs, super late offside in the third that was only called because everyone in a white sweater was screaming for it, a ref actually kicked s puck into the middle of the ice on the D zone...

i mean at this point we're used to getting weak calls and reputation calls, but these officials have been so bad that its beyond that.

You start sending a message to teams that they can harm others with careless plays and get away with it. I don't think there's a conspiracy against us, but with games like last night it's hard not to feel that way when it's so obviously one sided

Edited by Sexlaf15
2 people like this

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

"Just wanted to get his attention." By using his stick? Huh.......

The refs were definitely casting a blind eye to infractions by the Wild. But playing devil's advocate, one penalty was a tehnical delay of game call, and another was Getzy hauling down a Wild player who would have scored otherwise. So the penalty tally was closer to 3-0 versus the actual 5-0. 

The problem is with how this lineman was trained. The other lineman should have blown the faceoff dead out of embarrassment.

Regardless, the Ducks are going to pay the price for Vermette's momentary bout of frustration. And it definitely put's Murray in a weaker position as he considers any potential trades.(Granted with the cap situation BM has already put the Ducks in I doubt it will be  much worse)

29 minutes ago, wataduk said:

i've that exact same touch many times between a player and a ref, either to get their attention, or to apologize for running into the ref, etc..  this is a ridiculously poor call.  i would say he should appeal, but I don't know how potentially bad that could be for him and the post season.  If there was a way to reduce vs. eliminate all 10 games, then I'd probably take the chance for the appeal.

ok, just watched the angle i hadn't seen before, the overhead view.  dammit.  

Edited by Fisix
1 person likes this

http://www.tsn.ca/vermette-gets-automatic-10-game-suspension-1.672436

These commentators suggest that the Ducks should  expect worse officiating after Vermette's infraction unless Vermette and the Ducks make public apologies. Like the Ducks don't have a historically verifiable record of getting fewer powerplays than any other team over the course of their existence. 

LOL.

It's clear they never watch the Ducks play. And the women  can't help making this about the Leafs. Such east coast bias.

4 people like this

24 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

http://www.tsn.ca/vermette-gets-automatic-10-game-suspension-1.672436

These commentators suggest that the Ducks should  expect worse officiating after Vermette's infraction unless Vermette and the Ducks make public apologies. Like the Ducks don't have a historically verifiable record of getting fewer powerplays than any other team over the course of their existence. 

LOL.

It's clear they never watch the Ducks play. And the women  can't help making this about the Leafs. Such east coast bias.

1jpql6.jpg

Edited by wataduk
7 people like this

I couldn't believe it at the time, damnit. Was hoping for 2-5, until I checked the rules.

The problem with NHL officiating, as the older guys with clout have retired, the younger ones don't have the stones to do what needs to be done. Regardless of rep, regardless of barn. They don't. And there's little opportunity for redress in the ranks. It was a crap drop on the draw, and the noob needs some practice and counseling. 

At the same time, Antoine, dude, don't whack, just yak.

3 people like this

For ten games I kind of wish he got his money's worth i.e. Wideman. Not really, but man these refs are killing me 

Still don't see anything official on this anywhere.  No hearing, no discussion.

1 person likes this

Vermette deserved the 10, but it's crazy Nyquist only got 6 for trying to behead Spurgeon 

4 people like this

18 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Still don't see anything official on this anywhere.  No hearing, no discussion.

Good point. Wondering why the usual suspects-Neale, Stephens, Spraker, Teaford, et al. haven't said anything or analyzed it. 

Yes, the Ducks historically get a bad draw from the officials. They'll never be a team that gets the benefit of the calls like Montreal or Chicago. Just have to accept that. 

That said, some people need to take off their Ducks-shaded glasses around here. Not sure how you can defend what Vermette did. Is it fair that his suspension is longer than Nyqvist, who could've taken out Spurgeon's eye? No, but Vermette is still in the wrong. 

2 people like this

I expect our Ducks to call someone up. Maybe Chris Wagner will be in the lineup.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I agree with the suspension. Even little jabs on refs need to be punished severely or it's a slippery slope. Just look at soccer, there is no respect for referees as FIFA have historically let players get away with as much abuse as they want.

That said, it's completely ridiculous that Nyquist gets 6 games for almost blinding someone, Wideman gets 10 games for checking an official and Vermette gets 10 games for a jab.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, wataduk said:

I think it was Vermette's way of saying "hey a$$hole what the hell are you doing"?  I know there is no excuse to do that, but I get why he did it.  The ref should get 10 for being an a$$hole.  But look at the bright side, Vermette is no spring chicken and this 10 game break will have him fresh for the playoffs.

1 person likes this