DuckFan4Life

Vermette Suspended 10 Games

100 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ritz10hock said:

Clearly we're not watching the same play because the ref doesn't touch the puck. There's not a single moment where the puck sits in his skates. If anything, Lindholm misplays it a little bit and the Wild player Coyle knocks it away and in front of the net. 

Is he standing in the way? Yeah, but asking the official to get out of the way there is asking him to be Wayne Gretzky and anticipate what is going to happen three steps before it actually happens. Where do you expect him to go? The reason he is behind the net in the first place is because he was trying to get out of the way, but as many players and coaches will tell you, a skater doesn't move faster than the puck. If the player dumps the puck back where the official is, he's in no man's land. 

The whole thing is bang-bang. It's a lot easier to sit on your couch and say "MOVE REF," but really you should understand there's no perfect spot for an official to be positioned on that play. Not to mention if there was really foul play there, don't you think either Ahlers or Hazy would've mentioned "Hey, the ref just tried to kick the puck in front of the net to create a scoring chance for the Wild!" Neither are shy about implying the refs are screwing the Ducks when it happens. 

I'm not sure if you're just trying to recall the play from memory, but if that's the case I recommend going back and watching a few more times. Refs take enough (deserved) abuse as it is ... no need to try and call them out when it's not warranted too. 

I just wanted to add that, again, most seasoned referees tend to stay near the corner in these last minute scrums just so if they stop the puck with their skates, it's away from the net and the crease, but they're still close enough to view and whistle a legitimate cover or penalty.  the linesman here moved to the wrong position at the wrong time... and i'm seeing the same thing DuckFan4Life is seeing with his feet.  He did a lot of things wrong that ended up with the puck in front of Gibson in our crease.  

5 hours ago, Fisix said:

I just wanted to add that, again, most seasoned referees tend to stay near the corner in these last minute scrums just so if they stop the puck with their skates, it's away from the net and the crease, but they're still close enough to view and whistle a legitimate cover or penalty.  the linesman here moved to the wrong position at the wrong time... and i'm seeing the same thing DuckFan4Life is seeing with his feet.  He did a lot of things wrong that ended up with the puck in front of Gibson in our crease.  

Kowal, who was the ref in that end on the play, has been in the NHL for 17 years and has reffed over 1,000 games. I'm not saying because he's an experienced that makes him a good official, but he does have experience in knowing where he is supposed to be and you don't get to the NHL if you don't have good judgement on positioning.

Have you guys ever taken a hockey officiating class? It's not cut and dry where you're supposed to be if you're the official in the end where the play is going on. Really the best position is 1) wherever you think you aren't going to interfere with the play and 2) NEVER in center ice or the slot. Kowal is retreating behind the net to get to the other side so he doesn't interfere, but it's not his fault the Wild player threw it right back to where the pressure was behind the net. Saying "most seasoned referees tend to stay near the corner" ... no, it's not as simple as that.

On 2/16/2017 at 7:46 PM, Sexlaf15 said:

I wonder what you even say to appeal. I mean Wideman went with the concussed bs, idk let's see how it plays out 

Won't lie but I hope league reduce his suspension. to Five games.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 2/17/2017 at 10:25 PM, ritz10hock said:

Kowal, who was the ref in that end on the play, has been in the NHL for 17 years and has reffed over 1,000 games. I'm not saying because he's an experienced that makes him a good official, but he does have experience in knowing where he is supposed to be and you don't get to the NHL if you don't have good judgement on positioning.

Have you guys ever taken a hockey officiating class? It's not cut and dry where you're supposed to be if you're the official in the end where the play is going on. Really the best position is 1) wherever you think you aren't going to interfere with the play and 2) NEVER in center ice or the slot. Kowal is retreating behind the net to get to the other side so he doesn't interfere, but it's not his fault the Wild player threw it right back to where the pressure was behind the net. Saying "most seasoned referees tend to stay near the corner" ... no, it's not as simple as that.

How sure are you that it was Kowal at the end?

5 hours ago, Fisix said:

How sure are you that it was Kowal at the end?

100 percent. 

So, if the appeal's upheld, how many games is it that the Ducks have played if he's reinstated right away? Four?

I don't believe he is appealing the suspension, just the number of games. Some believe he should have gotten 5. Saturday's game against the Kings will be #5. Unfortunately this week is the Ducks mandatory break. 

1 hour ago, DUCKSDOC said:

Any word on his hearing - should have been done by now

ANYONE...?

ANYONE...?

None...checking TSN,The Score...Just looking for any news..

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Wouldn't surprise me if we don't hear anything for a few days. When Wideman had his hearing I think it took a while for Bettman to announce his decision.

Lol comical. They mentioned on Sportsnet the other night that the league and the Ducks agreed to 5 games, but the officials union wouldn't accept that. They obviously pushed for the full 10 games. After the Wideman incident they want to make an example of someone. 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, nieder said:

Lol comical. They mentioned on Sportsnet the other night that the league and the Ducks agreed to 5 games, but the officials union wouldn't accept that. They obviously pushed for the full 10 games. After the Wideman incident they want to make an example of someone. 

Right...instead of...ya know...making an example of Wideman...the guy who hits a ref from behind falling him down to the ice...no no...that shouldn't be made a big example of...

1 person likes this

Wouldn't surprise me if we don't hear anything for a few days. When Wideman had his hearing I think it took a while for Bettman to announce his decision

It takes Bettman a while to do anything he is paid to do. It is no wonder he is hated around the league

Guess that Means more work for Kesler tonite. NHL Upholding the 10 game suspension it's going to be rocky from here on end.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Lots of time Vermitt will be losing. All 10 games plus all the time in between which made me wonder if he should (or can) play in SD instead to stay in game shape. Anyone know if that is an option for him? 

GB said he agreed with the official that it was a slash, not a tap as Vermette and the NHLPA argued. Also said Vermette was sincere in his apology so felt the 10 games was enough. What a joke. Can't believe they reduced Wideman's and not Vermette's.

2 people like this

Will Vermette appeal to an independent arbitrator like Wideman did? At this stage it will just be to save himself some salary, as there won't be a decision before the end of the 10 games.

23 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

GB said he agreed with the official that it was a slash, not a tap as Vermette and the NHLPA argued. Also said Vermette was sincere in his apology so felt the 10 games was enough. What a joke. Can't believe they reduced Wideman's and not Vermette's.

Gary Bettman is a tool.

If Vermette was playing for the Flames, Jets or Oilers you can bet he would have gotten a reduced suspension since the NHL  is bending over backwards to make those teams relevant. Tell me you believe Edmonton has won all those draft lotteries by chance. And it was amazing how Toronto beat out Phoenix for last year's  #1 draft pick.  

Wideman's hit was vicious and an intentional attempt to injure. Ended the ref's career. In GB's eyes Vermette's infraction was equivalent,  and worthy of four more games punishment than Nyquist's attempt to take out another players face with the edge of his stick just days before.

This is the type of inconsistent B U L L S H * T officiating that  drives away the casual fan.

Hockey is my favorite sport, but I might be done with it. I was a lifelong Angel's fan but I have not followed nor spent a dime on MLB since the 1995 strike. If you recall  the players went on strike  with only two months left in the  league's 75th anniversary season.It was all about money and both sides let the season run out, giving the proverbial finger to the fans instead of waiting for the season to end before starting the fight. 

Edited by Shadowduck
3 people like this

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/forward-745048-announced-suspension.html

Disappointed with Bettman’s final ruling, the NHLPA is considering whether to take this to an arbitrator. It has seven days to decide on that and, in a statement released by Vermette on Saturday, it appears that course could be taken.

"First and foremost, I have great respect for the officials and the integrity of the game,” Vermette said. “Also, I agree that I deserve a suspension. I should never make contact with an official. At the earliest possible opportunity, I apologized to Mr. Shandor Alphonso. I was trying to get his attention and was not trying to hurt him. However, using my stick was a mistake, and I accept full responsibility for my actions.

“I certainly hope my track record in the NHL will earn me the benefit of the doubt regarding this incident. I feel a 10-game suspension is excessive and will be reviewing my options. I look forward to returning to the lineup as soon as possible."

2 people like this

7 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/forward-745048-announced-suspension.html

Disappointed with Bettman’s final ruling, the NHLPA is considering whether to take this to an arbitrator. It has seven days to decide on that and, in a statement released by Vermette on Saturday, it appears that course could be taken.

"First and foremost, I have great respect for the officials and the integrity of the game,” Vermette said. “Also, I agree that I deserve a suspension. I should never make contact with an official. At the earliest possible opportunity, I apologized to Mr. Shandor Alphonso. I was trying to get his attention and was not trying to hurt him. However, using my stick was a mistake, and I accept full responsibility for my actions.

“I certainly hope my track record in the NHL will earn me the benefit of the doubt regarding this incident. I feel a 10-game suspension is excessive and will be reviewing my options. I look forward to returning to the lineup as soon as possible."

I certainly hope that the NHLPA take it to arbitration - Vermette sounds sincere and contrite - 5 games should be enough. However by the time the SYSTEM gets around to it the 10 games will be in the book. IMHO

9 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

I certainly hope that the NHLPA take it to arbitration - Vermette sounds sincere and contrite - 5 games should be enough. However by the time the SYSTEM gets around to it the 10 games will be in the book. IMHO

With the Ducks have their 5 day mandatory break, it's possible they get something done. If nothing else, he will the monetary amount reduced.