DuckFan4Life

Vermette Suspended 10 Games

103 posts in this topic

Wouldn't surprise me if we don't hear anything for a few days. When Wideman had his hearing I think it took a while for Bettman to announce his decision

It takes Bettman a while to do anything he is paid to do. It is no wonder he is hated around the league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess that Means more work for Kesler tonite. NHL Upholding the 10 game suspension it's going to be rocky from here on end.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of time Vermitt will be losing. All 10 games plus all the time in between which made me wonder if he should (or can) play in SD instead to stay in game shape. Anyone know if that is an option for him? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GB said he agreed with the official that it was a slash, not a tap as Vermette and the NHLPA argued. Also said Vermette was sincere in his apology so felt the 10 games was enough. What a joke. Can't believe they reduced Wideman's and not Vermette's.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Vermette appeal to an independent arbitrator like Wideman did? At this stage it will just be to save himself some salary, as there won't be a decision before the end of the 10 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

GB said he agreed with the official that it was a slash, not a tap as Vermette and the NHLPA argued. Also said Vermette was sincere in his apology so felt the 10 games was enough. What a joke. Can't believe they reduced Wideman's and not Vermette's.

Gary Bettman is a tool.

If Vermette was playing for the Flames, Jets or Oilers you can bet he would have gotten a reduced suspension since the NHL  is bending over backwards to make those teams relevant. Tell me you believe Edmonton has won all those draft lotteries by chance. And it was amazing how Toronto beat out Phoenix for last year's  #1 draft pick.  

Wideman's hit was vicious and an intentional attempt to injure. Ended the ref's career. In GB's eyes Vermette's infraction was equivalent,  and worthy of four more games punishment than Nyquist's attempt to take out another players face with the edge of his stick just days before.

This is the type of inconsistent B U L L S H * T officiating that  drives away the casual fan.

Hockey is my favorite sport, but I might be done with it. I was a lifelong Angel's fan but I have not followed nor spent a dime on MLB since the 1995 strike. If you recall  the players went on strike  with only two months left in the  league's 75th anniversary season.It was all about money and both sides let the season run out, giving the proverbial finger to the fans instead of waiting for the season to end before starting the fight. 

Edited by Shadowduck
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/forward-745048-announced-suspension.html

Disappointed with Bettman’s final ruling, the NHLPA is considering whether to take this to an arbitrator. It has seven days to decide on that and, in a statement released by Vermette on Saturday, it appears that course could be taken.

"First and foremost, I have great respect for the officials and the integrity of the game,” Vermette said. “Also, I agree that I deserve a suspension. I should never make contact with an official. At the earliest possible opportunity, I apologized to Mr. Shandor Alphonso. I was trying to get his attention and was not trying to hurt him. However, using my stick was a mistake, and I accept full responsibility for my actions.

“I certainly hope my track record in the NHL will earn me the benefit of the doubt regarding this incident. I feel a 10-game suspension is excessive and will be reviewing my options. I look forward to returning to the lineup as soon as possible."

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/forward-745048-announced-suspension.html

Disappointed with Bettman’s final ruling, the NHLPA is considering whether to take this to an arbitrator. It has seven days to decide on that and, in a statement released by Vermette on Saturday, it appears that course could be taken.

"First and foremost, I have great respect for the officials and the integrity of the game,” Vermette said. “Also, I agree that I deserve a suspension. I should never make contact with an official. At the earliest possible opportunity, I apologized to Mr. Shandor Alphonso. I was trying to get his attention and was not trying to hurt him. However, using my stick was a mistake, and I accept full responsibility for my actions.

“I certainly hope my track record in the NHL will earn me the benefit of the doubt regarding this incident. I feel a 10-game suspension is excessive and will be reviewing my options. I look forward to returning to the lineup as soon as possible."

I certainly hope that the NHLPA take it to arbitration - Vermette sounds sincere and contrite - 5 games should be enough. However by the time the SYSTEM gets around to it the 10 games will be in the book. IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

I certainly hope that the NHLPA take it to arbitration - Vermette sounds sincere and contrite - 5 games should be enough. However by the time the SYSTEM gets around to it the 10 games will be in the book. IMHO

With the Ducks have their 5 day mandatory break, it's possible they get something done. If nothing else, he will the monetary amount reduced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now