The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dericsen8

Nick Ritchie Suspended 2 Games for Awesome Punch to Face

I'm sorry, but what the hell NHL. You don't do anything to Gio, yet you give out a suspension for THIS??????? I mean, I get it, Ritchie definitely deserves this but Gio at least should've gotten a couple if Ritchie got a couple games off for what he did.

BREAKING: @AnaheimDucks Nick Ritchie suspended two games for roughing @NHLBlackhawks Michal Rozsival. http://www.tsn.ca/1.717942 

C81icJsVYAA5lly.jpg

•  

23 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Lesson in all this; don't hit a guy who turtles. Legally hit him on the ice and/or score a goal.

Isn't this kind of obvious? Don't try to fight a guy who doesn't fight. Hit him between the whistles, not after. I don't want anyone throwing haymakers at Lindholm either, no matter how hard he cross checks somebody.

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

Isn't this kind of obvious? Don't try to fight a guy who doesn't fight. Hit him between the whistles, not after. I don't want anyone throwing haymakers at Lindholm either, no matter how hard he cross checks somebody.

Obviously not obvious to Ritchie. Hopefully he learns a lesson from this and makes smarter decisions. Could be he was disappointed in losing his 3rd line spot to Kase and when on the ice with Perry for a time being, tried to prove himself by defending Perry.

Ritchie knockout punches an unwilling opponent who would have never engaged him.  It is a valid suspension.  Thought it would only be one game, but two is in line with the bad behavior.  Take your lumps and move on.

13 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Obviously not obvious to Ritchie. Hopefully he learns a lesson from this and makes smarter decisions. Could be he was disappointed in losing his 3rd line spot to Kase and when on the ice with Perry for a time being, tried to prove himself by defending Perry.

Good call. Or maybe @ritchboiii was just jealous he doesn't have his own trending twitter hashtag.... 

#WeAreAllJoshManson

:P

Because when Nick Ritchie enters the room, even Vegas buffets take flight in fear.

#WeAreAllNickRitchie

You guys are crazy.  

Ros wanted the even-up penalty, and that's why he stuck his chin out.  He begged for the fight, but didn't want the coincidental 5 min major tacked onto his 2 min minor.  Are you seriously arguing that a 14 year veteran of the NHL is just going to forget to protect himself when a guy is skating over to him with his gloves already off?

I am non-anonymously liking the title of this thread.

I like how it says that Roszival was "unable to protect himself".  Please explain how he was unable to do so?  His hands were up to block the initial cross check to begin with.  This was a young player being baited by an older player into taking a penalty.  Ritchie will learn to pick his spots better now, I'm sure.  Personally, after that Calgary game, I'm kind of enjoying the "Dirty Ducks" moniker being thrown around again.  

18 hours ago, Fisix said:

You guys are crazy.  

Ros wanted the even-up penalty, and that's why he stuck his chin out.  He begged for the fight, but didn't want the coincidental 5 min major tacked onto his 2 min minor.  Are you seriously arguing that a 14 year veteran of the NHL is just going to forget to protect himself when a guy is skating over to him with his gloves already off?

This is exactly what happened. And he played it up lying on the ice soccer style. Ritchie didn't throw that punch from downtown either. 

But it is what it is. 

I have no problem with what Ritchie did. Tired of watching this team turn the other cheek under BB. One game supsension was justified, but how in the world was Ritchie punished more severely than Haley? DOPS is a fitting acronym for the department of player safety. At least they got that right,.

The match penalty ontop of a playoff game included is too much in my opinion. Ritchie got baited, you cross check a star player you pay the price. I'm fine with the team standing up for themselves when it's obvious the league won't protect us. It's ridiculous the inconsistently of Player Safety 

2 hours ago, liquid13 said:

I have no problem with what Ritchie did. Tired of watching this team turn the other cheek under BB. One game supsension was justified, but how in the world was Ritchie punished more severely than Haley? DOPS is a fitting acronym for the department of player safety. At least they got that right,.

Exactly. +1

I'm fine with what Nick did, and I'm fine with him sitting a game for it, but the extra playoff game is completely asinine, especially after the recent Haley ruling.

On 4/8/2017 at 1:20 PM, AustinDuck27 said:

Exactly. +1

I'm fine with what Nick did, and I'm fine with him sitting a game for it, but the extra playoff game is completely asinine, especially after the recent Haley ruling.

What he did was stupid but I get the frustration. One game is fine but that extra, the extra being a playoff game when suspensions get hilariously shortened is absurd. And a first time offender.

This Calgary series is probably gonna get insane. Both teams are probably gonna come at each other right out the gate. Johnny H may only see ice time on the PP.

Wow, I didn't realize the injury to Roszival, by Ritchie's punch, was so bad.  Looks like he needed surgery 3 days ago.  Wondering if might miss rest of playoffs for Chicago.  As much of a fan of Ritchie I am, I am glad he was suspended for hurting Roszival the way he did.  In fact, I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to have the player who injured another player sit as many games as it takes for the player they injured to return to the lineup after the injury.  Hopefully Ritchie has learned his lesson.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19136071/chicago-blackhawks-michal-rozsival-facial-surgery-nick-ritchie-punch

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

Wow, I didn't realize the injury to Roszival, by Ritchie's punch, was so bad.  Looks like he needed surgery 3 days ago.  Wondering if might miss rest of playoffs for Chicago.  As much of a fan of Ritchie I am, I am glad he was suspended for hurting Roszival the way he did.  In fact, I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to have the player who injured another player sit as many games as it takes for the player they injured to return to the lineup after the injury.  Hopefully Ritchie has learned his lesson.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19136071/chicago-blackhawks-michal-rozsival-facial-surgery-nick-ritchie-punch

He likely opted for surgery because he knew he was unlikely to play... 

26 minutes ago, ZTHER said:

Barring injury to any of the top 6, you sir, would be most correct.

1 hour ago, ZTHER said:

I'm no doctor, but I'd be surprised if facial fracture surgery is "elective" in the same way a hernia or partially-torn ACL is.

No offense, Z, but this is almost on par with others suggesting that Roszival wanted to be punched in the face by Ritchie just so he could draw a penalty, in the 3rd period of a meaningless game they were losing 4-0, with 6 of their 7 best players eating popcorn in the press box. Chicago had Roszival, Kempny and Forsling (both rookies) waiting in the wings as their #7 for the playoffs, so Roszival was likely one injury away from being right back in the lineup. Now his career is probably over. No friggen way that Roszival "opted" to end his 16-year-career on the operating table, rather than with one last chance to play for a Stanley Cup.

3 hours ago, duck123 said:

Agree. The player inflicting the damage should always at least sit as many games as does the injured player. That way players will think twice before doing something dirty. Devils advocate however says what if the player who gets hit is just a sub par player and his team then pretends he is injured for xyz days just to take out that other better player from the game longer than what is really necessary? 

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I'm no doctor, but I'd be surprised if facial fracture surgery is "elective" in the same way a hernia or partially-torn ACL is.

No offense, Z, but this is almost on par with others suggesting that Roszival wanted to be punched in the face by Ritchie just so he could draw a penalty, in the 3rd period of a meaningless game they were losing 4-0, with 6 of their 7 best players eating popcorn in the press box. Chicago had Roszival, Kempny and Forsling (both rookies) waiting in the wings as their #7 for the playoffs, so Roszival was likely one injury away from being right back in the lineup. Now his career is probably over. No friggen way that Roszival "opted" to end his 16-year-career on the operating table, rather than with one last chance to play for a Stanley Cup.

Roszival was absolutely trying to draw a penalty.  Otherwise he's the dumbest player in the NHL.  I'm sure he didn't anticipate that Ritchie would destroy his face.

34 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Roszival was absolutely trying to draw a penalty.  Otherwise he's the dumbest player in the NHL.  I'm sure he didn't anticipate that Ritchie would destroy his face.

You too?

I was in attendance for that one. Do you notice how absolutely no one in the crowd reacted to the cross-check? Seriously, there was NO energy to the game at that point. That happened 6 mins into the 3rd period, and there hadn't even been a penalty since 1:46 into the 2nd (a too many men penalty against Chicago). It was about as far from being a chippy game as you can get.  Kesler had just made it 3-0 about a minute and a half earlier and you could tell that most of the players, especially the Hawks, just wanted to run the clock out and go home. It wasn't even a dangerous foul either (not that Ritchie would have known, because he didn't even see the foul to begin with). No one who was there expected Ritchie to bare-knuckle punch Rozsival for that, especially not Rozsival. None of the circumstances were present for anyone to think there would be a fight at that point. And while Rozsival was the one who pushed/cross-checked Perry down, it was actually Kempny's stick that hit Perry in the mouth and hurt him. But Rozsival didn't know that.  All he did was push Perry.

The time between Ritchie throwing his gloves and landing that sucker-punch is also less than one second. Start-stop the video. The whistle blows at 0:06. Ritchie throws his gloves just as the timer ticks to 0:09. Ritchie's punch lands while the timer is still at 0:09. Rozsival is already crumpled and almost out of the frame before the timer hits 0:10.  Rozsival's arms were down because he had no intention of engaging Ritchie (he was actually backing up) and because he had only a fraction of a second to react to Ritchie throwing off his gloves before the sucker punch landed, not because he wanted to get punched.

So I stand by what I said, there's no way Rozsival could have known that Ritchie was going to sucker-punch him for that mild cross-check in that situation. The punch was completely unwarranted in that situation, and that's why Ritchie got suspended by George Parros and company. Rozsival did not stick his chin out and could not have expected Ritchie's reaction based on the energy of the entire game and the circumstances of that moment. It's absurd to say he's the dumbest player in the NHL for being sucker punched in that moment, especially when Ritchie actually did something dumb by punching him and getting himself suspended for a playoff game in the process.

7 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

You too?

I was in attendance for that one. Do you notice how absolutely no one in the crowd reacted to the cross-check? Seriously, there was NO energy to the game at that point. That happened 6 mins into the 3rd period, and there hadn't even been a penalty since 1:46 into the 2nd (a too many men penalty against Chicago). It was about as far from being a chippy game as you can get.  Kesler had just made it 3-0 about a minute and a half earlier and you could tell that most of the players, especially the Hawks, just wanted to run the clock out and go home. It wasn't even a dangerous foul either (not that Ritchie would have known, because he didn't even see the foul to begin with). No one who was there expected Ritchie to bare-knuckle punch Rozsival for that, especially not Rozsival. None of the circumstances were present for anyone to think there would be a fight at that point. And while Rozsival was the one who pushed/cross-checked Perry down, it was actually Kempny's stick that hit Perry in the mouth and hurt him. But Rozsival didn't know that.  All he did was push Perry.

The time between Ritchie throwing his gloves and landing that sucker-punch is also less than one second. Start-stop the video. The whistle blows at 0:06. Ritchie throws his gloves just as the timer ticks to 0:09. Ritchie's punch lands while the timer is still at 0:09. Rozsival is already crumpled and almost out of the frame before the timer hits 0:10.  Rozsival's arms were down because he had no intention of engaging Ritchie (he was actually backing up) and because he had only a fraction of a second to react to Ritchie throwing off his gloves before the sucker punch landed, not because he wanted to get punched.

So I stand by what I said, there's no way Rozsival could have known that Ritchie was going to sucker-punch him for that mild cross-check in that situation. The punch was completely unwarranted in that situation, and that's why Ritchie got suspended by George Parros and company. Rozsival did not stick his chin out and could not have expected Ritchie's reaction based on the energy of the entire game and the circumstances of that moment. It's absurd to say he's the dumbest player in the NHL for being sucker punched in that moment, especially when Ritchie actually did something dumb by punching him and getting himself suspended for a playoff game in the process.

Sorry, not a sucker punch and yeah, Roszival was trying to draw an even up call.  Ritchie deserved the match penalty and misconduct but no more.  Many, many people agree with me (including a Kings fan I know who watched the game).

20 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

You too?

It's at least 4 seconds warning to Roz.  The hit happens, Ritchie's glove come off, he makes immediate eye contact with Roz, skates towards him, grabs him, pauses, and punches him.  I was there too, and it was a chippy game throughout, and Ritchie was on warning to protect Perry, clearly.  Roz also clearly didn't protect himself because he was looking for the even up call - whether that was smart of him or not is beside the point, it's what he did.

Finally, it's not a sucker punch.  Ritchie telegraphed everything, and Roz wanted the punch so that he could even up the play.  He did what his years of training told him to do - even up the play if you can draw the fighting major or at least a roughing.  Roz might even have been stupid enough to not realize the ducks were hyper sensitive to hits on their $8M players.  He didn't expect the damage to be so great.

Ritchie did a couple things badly - he should have waited and not dropped the gloves (I don't think he'll be removing his gloves after this - Ritchie is not the type of guy who intentionally wants to do damage to other people, and this result is surprising), and he should have been more aware of what was going on and how it didn't quite measure up to a fight, and that he was going to be fighting someone who didn't want to participate... but to be fair to Ritchie, he made a contextual mistake, and the results probably weren't foreseeable to him, in the moment, and he probably had no idea who Roz was or what his traditional play is like.  AND, I wonder if the punch did the damage, or if Roz face planted on the ice and that did the damage.  Ritchie is still the cause, regardless, so maybe that doesn't matter, except that it's just more unlucky-ness.

Anyway, the main point - the clock started ticking when Ritchie drops the gloves.  The time period between that and when the punch lands (which is after they initially come together), is about 4 seconds, Roz saw the entire build up and was aware it was coming, and just didn't think the punch would be as hard as it was.

Carlyle said early in the season that by the end of the season the league would know not to mess with Ritchie. Certainly, Rozsival knows what Ritchie is capable of... ONEEEEE PUNCHHHHHHH

I should add, I'm happy to agree to disagree on this one.  Though, I think we should be able to agree that Ritchie wasn't looking to destroy someone's face or post season play chances.

Obviously Ritchie crossed the line, but I don't like the idea that a guy can throw a cheap shot then just stand there with his arms at his sides smiling and not expect to get clocked. I don't think what Rozy did necessarily warranted a punch like that, but it's the real rats around the league that will benefit from players skating away from things like this. The league doesn't want players to police themselves, but the league does a pathetic job of doing it for them. I don't think Ritchie picked the best situation to react like that, but I'm 100% fine with his mentality.

On 4/7/2017 at 3:21 PM, Fisix said:

You guys are crazy.  

Totally agree. I'm not going to complain because (for a change) one of our guys got his money's worth. And I like the message this sends: cheap shots will have a price, particularly if you try to take a cheap shot AND bait for a pp.