Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dericsen8

Nick Ritchie Suspended 2 Games for Awesome Punch to Face

Recommended Posts

Funny, #22 on the hawks got a good few in on Ritchie afterwards and Ritchie wasn't clearly willing to engage with him. None of the anti-fighting set crying about that? How is that different? Because "revenge" on YOUR guy is ok? (Or maybe because the guy was throwing pillows, lol.) Roszival knew it was coming, even shoved at Ritchie before eating the bomb. He had plenty of time to turtle or skate away. He chose not to. He lingered. It's right there in the video. I think the outrage at Ritchie from some of his own team's fans is that some of you are so incredibly soft and sheltered that you lose your mind when it happens, even if it's your guy/team!! Shameful. Might I suggest soccer.... I don't care who is doling out the suspensions. They don't work for the Ducks anymore. Heck, having a history with the Ducks may make them inclined to go the opposite way to prove a point to their superiors.

RItchie is a Duck. I'm a Duck fan. I'm not going to wag my finger at him like some flipping ninny grandma for protecting the flock. Overboard or no. Pronger did the same stuff (usually via stick or head shot). I'd take a prime, vicious Pronger back in a second. Giordano would have thought twice....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Roszival was absolutely trying to draw a penalty.  Otherwise he's the dumbest player in the NHL.  I'm sure he didn't anticipate that Ritchie would destroy his face.

I was listening to the last night's commentary. The announcer mentioned something to like, "You know a guys is coming at you and you don't even put up your hands to defend yourself?"

I think Rosaval was goading Ritchie for a penalty, (yes, in a meaningless game) and didn't expect Ritchie to break his face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I was listening to the last night's commentary. The announcer mentioned something to like, "You know a guys is coming at you and you don't even put up your hands to defend yourself?"

I think Rosaval was goading Ritchie for a penalty, (yes, in a meaningless game) and didn't expect Ritchie to break his face

I'll bet he NEVER EVER does that again - might have cost him his career - really STUPID !!! IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I was listening to the last night's commentary. The announcer mentioned something to like, "You know a guys is coming at you and you don't even put up your hands to defend yourself?"

I think Rosaval was goading Ritchie for a penalty, (yes, in a meaningless game) and didn't expect Ritchie to break his face.

The Canadian commentators actually said the same thing on the game broadcast during Game 1. They thought Rosival brought it on himself. 

I'm sure Rosival would have been happy to draw an even up call but I'm betting he didn't expect a bare hand punch to the face. Probably more a face wash or some shoves. I'm loathe to call it a sucker punch since Rosival saw Ritchie coming, but it went from 'guy coming at me with gloves on' to 'guy throwing barehanded punches' in less than one second. I think that's where the issue is. If Nick threw one with his glove still on he probably doesn't get suspended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm the more I read this thread the more I think Rosival could have avoided the incident. He didn't do anything to prevent it but the exact opposite, eliciting and further enraging a younger player who is already hot. You know what, if the Ducks kept doing that, I can bet you no one would ever EVER be messing with the Ducks but only in the event that they do in fact want to fight. Never would we see a player goating, bluffing or pressing his luck with a duck. R-e-s-p-e-c-t (Pantera style)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nieder said:

The Canadian commentators actually said the same thing on the game broadcast during Game 1. They thought Rosival brought it on himself. 

I'm sure Rosival would have been happy to draw an even up call but I'm betting he didn't expect a bare hand punch to the face. Probably more a face wash or some shoves. I'm loathe to call it a sucker punch since Rosival saw Ritchie coming, but it went from 'guy coming at me with gloves on' to 'guy throwing barehanded punches' in less than one second. I think that's where the issue is. If Nick threw one with his glove still on he probably doesn't get suspended. 

You guys keep saying that, but it's not true.  Ritchie's gloves were off a good 4 seconds before he started punching.  They were off almost as the play ended with Perry on the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fisix said:

You guys keep saying that, but it's not true.  Ritchie's gloves were off a good 4 seconds before he started punching.  They were off almost as the play ended with Perry on the ground.

I just watched the video again. There's literally a half second between Ritchie throwing off his gloves and then throwing the punch. I don't know where you are getting 4 seconds from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they certainly fly off then.  i must have misremembered.  he's clearing moving in heavy well before the clash, and then shortly thereafter, the hit..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fisix said:

You guys keep saying that, but it's not true.  Ritchie's gloves were off a good 4 seconds before he started punching.  They were off almost as the play ended with Perry on the ground.

I think this is the best video breakdown of the fight. It seems to me that Rosival did block the first hit/ cross check from Richie, but then dropped his hands. Maybe he thought that would be the end of the retribution for the Perry hit. I personally don't think Ritchie should have been out for two games, but it is just my opinion. Glad he is back in the lineup.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RespectKariya said:

Ritchie responded 10000000000% more than any Duck after Kariya got hit by Suter

I feel like Ritchie was about 7 years old then and not yet on the Ducks.  But I'm sure he punched his stuffed animals a lot in retaliation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I feel like Ritchie was about 7 years old then and not yet on the Ducks.  But I'm sure he punched his stuffed animals a lot in retaliation.

Take that teddy!

drop kick for bunny!

who else wants some??!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick was in preschool somewhere 

I was sitting in the stands and on my couch

 Combined...... Nick and I kicked Suters ass as hard as any Duck did

Nick and I were bad asses back in the day 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...