The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WolfgangDuck

Sam Steel

He is on the NHL Network right now in a playoff game.  1st period just ending and it's 0-0.  Not sure if it's live or replay but you can get a look at him visually.

Snoozer of a game, the Pats lost in OT. But Steel was hyped up pretty good and you can just see the way he carries himself that he's going to be a well-rounded skill player. Mahura (Ducks 3rd rounder in the most recent draft) is also on the Pats along with Steel. He looks pretty solid defensively, skates well, active offensively, good shot. Could be another solid D pick... shocker. ;)

On 5/3/2017 at 2:25 PM, DuckFan4Life said:

.@AnaheimDucks prospect @ssteel23 is the 2016-17 WHL Player of the Year!

#WHLAwards #FourBroncos

Also officially received the top scorer award, though we knew that one was coming.

Are we allowed to be excited about Steel yet or do we still need to be super cynical about his scoring and playmaking abilities translating at higher-level hockey?

4 hours ago, norge25 said:

Also officially received the top scorer award, though we knew that one was coming.

Are we allowed to be excited about Steel yet or do we still need to be super cynical about his scoring and playmaking abilities translating at higher-level hockey?

My hearts been made the fool once with Etem.... I'm not sure I am ready to commit again so soon. I get the occasional butterflies feeling hearing about him but ..... it's too soon. ....... I gotta go..... I can't talk about this right now

5 hours ago, norge25 said:

Etem was more of a goal scorer than anything. The little I've seen of Steel, I think he's a more all around player. Scoring, physical, defending.

I hope Steel turns out well.  Sooner rather than later would be nice.  Outside of Rakell, the Ducks haven't drafted a ton of top 6 forward talent since Getzlaf and Perry.  And they could really, really use a playmaking center starting next year.  I doubt Steel will be ready, though.  Two years is much more likely, and three years likelier still.  

And if the Ducks think the window is still open (after this year, I have no reason to believe they wouldn't think that), they can't afford to bank on Steel being the solution.  They have to address that in the offseason.  I suppose you could fake it by re-signing Thompson and if Steel doesn't cut it, you survive until you can trade for someone.  That's a really risky play, though.

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Etem was more of a goal scorer than anything. The little I've seen of Steel, I think he's a more all around player. Scoring, physical, defending.

This. Steel is a better all around player than Etem ever was. If he bulks up there's no reason to think he can't be successful at the NHL level. 

8 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

So uh, we have a pretty good prospect on our hands:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=171350

2nd in points (regular+post) in the entire CHL this season,just right after Hawks highly touted prospect Alex DeBrincat

Debrincat,Otters,OHL : 76g+84a=160pts

Steel,Pats,WHL : 59g+99a=158pts

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:42 AM, DucksProg said:

Seattle ousted Regina in the WHL finals, could this mean a Sam Steel call-up for the Ducks?

I don't think he is allowed since played in WHL this year.  Once returned to WHL after Duck's training camp, not allowed back with the team--if memory serves me right. 

2 hours ago, duck123 said:

I don't think he is allowed since played in WHL this year.  Once returned to WHL after Duck's training camp, not allowed back with the team--if memory serves me right. 

Pretty sure he can be called up now that his season is over. I don't think it happens though.

On 5/19/2017 at 1:49 PM, nieder said:

Pretty sure he can be called up now that his season is over. I don't think it happens though.

:)

1 hour ago, Myuyum said:

:)

He's with the team which is cool. But he won't play. He needs to add some size and play some regular NHL games before getting inserted into such a physical series. 

Regular season in the books,post season left,...

- after every reg. season goal and point,highlight...i can say this; kid can steal pucks...super well and does that a lot

skate like the wind,..with the puck and score break away goals,but he is a playmaker.....aaaaargh!!!

Sam Steels 2016-2017 full highlights (if the music doesn't amuse you,always can mute :) )

- had to make one change,had to remove feuer frei by ramstein..oh well

Nice work, NWR. If I had to give a poor man's scouting report based on this highlight reel, I'd say:

Pros: Good skater. Good vision with his passing. Dangerous shooter as well from all ranges. Well-rounded player. The combo of passing/shooting talent is something we lack on the roster and in the system, he'll be a welcomed addition.

Cons: Size/strength, needs to fill out a bit to be a capable NHL center. Based on this vid, he makes 90% of his plays from outside the middle of the ice, relying on cross-ice passes and bad angle shots for offense. That may not translate as well in the pros, he'll need to bulk up a bit and challenge the middle of the ice more to be effective IMO. 

16 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Nice work, NWR. If I had to give a poor man's scouting report based on this highlight reel, I'd say:

Pros: Good skater. Good vision with his passing. Dangerous shooter as well from all ranges. Well-rounded player. The combo of passing/shooting talent is something we lack on the roster and in the system, he'll be a welcomed addition.

Cons: Size/strength, needs to fill out a bit to be a capable NHL center. Based on this vid, he makes 90% of his plays from outside the middle of the ice, relying on cross-ice passes and bad angle shots for offense. That may not translate as well in the pros, he'll need to bulk up a bit and challenge the middle of the ice more to be effective IMO. 

I keep thinking--imagine him on a third line to start his career-with Perry on his right wing and Ritchie on his left.  Not only do I think he would be the type of player to help revitalize Perry's game--but I think the line has a chance of being our first line by the time the season is done.  I really hope he makes the team and is put on a line with Ritchie and Perry.  I think that line would be awesome!

20 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Thanks

But,you forgot his great ability to steal pucks,by either lifting the opponents stick,by back checking,or just using his speed.and crashing into players

46 minutes ago, NiemiWillRise said:

Thanks

But,you forgot his great ability to steal pucks,by either lifting the opponents stick,by back checking,or just using his speed.and crashing into players

Yeah, the highlight vid showcases him in the offensive zone, but watching him in the Mem Cup and a little outside of that he really does play well all over the ice.

4 hours ago, duck123 said:

I keep thinking--imagine him on a third line to start his career-with Perry on his right wing and Ritchie on his left.  Not only do I think he would be the type of player to help revitalize Perry's game--but I think the line has a chance of being our first line by the time the season is done.  I really hope he makes the team and is put on a line with Ritchie and Perry.  I think that line would be awesome!

He needs to bulk up first.

@Austin When I saw him play he wasn't afraid to go into the corners and battle for pucks, nor go to the front of the net and battle for position. The highlights might not have shown that but he seemed like going to those areas wasn't an issue for him, at least in the one game I watched doing a poor man's scouting report :P

12 minutes ago, nieder said:

He needs to bulk up first.

@Austin When I saw him play he wasn't afraid to go into the corners and battle for pucks, nor go to the front of the net and battle for position. The highlights might not have shown that but he seemed like going to those areas wasn't an issue for him, at least in the one game I watched doing a poor man's scouting report :P

Haha, I've probably only seen a handful of games/highlights, so I'm talking mainly from my rear anyhow. I didn't see him as a perimeter player when I actually watched him play, it just stood out to me in Niemi's vid. 

It's going to be boring following Steel this year. There's nothing more he can do in terms of putting up more numbers, and so if he works to improve his overall game especially his weaknesses those are things you'll only really start to see by watching him play a lot over the course of the whole season. Too bad he couldn't play in the AHL this year.

Maybe Canada will be smart and include him in their WJC team this year and we'll get to see him in that environment.