flames

42 posts in this topic

i think calgary is playing well enough in this series to be

ahead 2-1 or more; the difference is that their goaltender,

elliot, is having a bad series.  i can't imagine how

demoralizing that this must be.  calgary MUST

switch netminders for game 4 although at this

point that change is pretty futile.

They haven't played like a team that deserves to be down 0-3 in the series, but they've also been living off of special teams play. Once the refs let 5 on 5 play happen, we start taking things over.

4 people like this

I think we absolutely deserved to win game 1. Our captain took the team on his back and made it happen. Game 2 was a toss up. Could have gone either way and we got the bounce. We were lucky but it's not like we didn't deserve to win. I haven't seen game 3 but if you go down 4-1 in a hostile building against a team that has to win and then come back, you did something right (after first going down by 3 that is which is not pretty :-p) Not to mention we didn't get any calls. Again I haven't seen the game and for all I know the calls against us were all correct ones but I can't imagine the other team doesn't commit one foul in 61:30 minutes of Playoff hockey.

Close games are decided by a few factors (mistakes, luck, a player stepping up). See the bad line change in game, Getzy taking control, the shorty in game 2 which almost cost us the game if it weren't for some puckluck. And judging by the highlights elliott didn't have the best night of his career in game 3 which was the difference maker. It cost them. And they know it. So does he if you see his reaction after the 4th goal. That was desperation.

We're the better team in 5-on-5 hockey. If we can stay out of the box we should be able to take this series. And that is without 2 of our top 3 defensemen.

2 people like this

"deserved" is a tough thing to ever really define. Different bounces in Games 1, 2, and 3 could have a different story? Maybe. But I'm not one to subscribe to the idea that a good bounce was the only way we could win.

I mean, you could look at the post Silfv hit at the end of the 2nd period and call that an "unlucky bounce." And if we lost the game, we could look at that moment as the "defining moment" that could have changed the series. But it doesn't work that way. The fact is the Ducks didn't give up and the Flames kinda did.

Okay, so the Game 2 goal doesn't get kicked in...but hey! What if that puck DID get to Slifv...he could one-time it and put it in anyway!

A "turning point" in game 2 COULD have been the shorty the Flames scored...but the Ducks didn't let that be it. A "turning point" in game 1 was the 3 on 0 break...and the Flames LET that happen.

When you look at the games from a broad stand point...looks like close games decided by lucky bounces and favorable calls to the Ducks. When I would say the true factors have been: Elliot is not playing well, the Ducks continue to work hard and don't let the mistakes completely phase them, and the Flames ARE letting mistakes phase them and are letting the Ducks and other factors effect/affect their play.

4 people like this

the number of breakaways or near breakaways for the flames is disconcerting.

26 minutes ago, niltes said:

the number of breakaways or near breakaways for the flames is disconcerting.

It is. But there is more to a game than that. That type of game plan can actually work quite well if you have a goalie shutting the door -- then you basically just wait for your moment to strike and you make it count.

I think we could also look at it as the Flames are lucky to be so close in these games. With the way Elliot has been playing and our inability to capitalize on a lot of our chances -- each one of these games could have been a blow out.

2 people like this

Elliott is definitely their weakness, no doubt. But you can't excuse their style of hockey, they're playing cherry pick hockey.  This means 1 of their offensive players are almost always camped out high, so they aren't helping out defensively.  This allows them to have more breakaway or odd number rushes.  

Also how about them Ducks being up 3-0 despite not having their best mobile defensemen playing?  No Fowler, no Vats, the two that could keep up with Calgary speed.  All teams shooting for the Cup have to overcome adversity, and this is a great example of it.  Ducks are finding ways to win despite being down on experienced defensemen, and being called terribly lopsided games.  5 PP's to Ducks 0 is just ridiculous no matter how you look at it.

4 people like this

Was reading through some more comments from butt hurt Flames fans. 

First it was the Honda Center curse.

Then it was the war room in Toronto overturning a Calgary goal in game 2 and affirming a Ducks goal in game three.

Latest  is that the NHL is going out of it's way to prop up the Ducks so that a California team remains in the playoffs now that the Sharks seem to be choking. See, there are more people in California than in all of Canada and the NHL big wigs want all of these Californians tuning into the playoffs but they know that Californians don't care about hockey unless there is a California team involved. 

Too funny.

Edited by Shadowduck
1 person likes this

To their credit, the Flames have gotten unlucky, more so than the Ducks.  I think they've outplayed the Ducks for large stretches of time in this series but haven't had anything to show for it except a goalie made of swiss cheese.  Calgary has won the expected goals battle in the last two games and was essentially even with the Ducks in game 1.

That said, the Ducks have taken advantage of a bad goaltender and the Flames' poor depth.  Hopefully this series will get the Ducks healthy and they'll play better next series.

The Flames are fine with a man advantage, 5 on 5 or 4on 4 they can't handle the Ducks even with the lopsided calls of 5 pps to zero they still couldn't win..

Blaming it all on Elliott isn't fair either Gibson has not stolen a game in the series and was given the hook last night.

It is in the heads of the Flames they simply can't beat the Ducks.The Flames tried to play hockey didn't work ,they targeted players to take them out of the lineup that didn't work either the Ducks just replaced them.

4 people like this

Elliot was the only reason they were in Games 1 and 2 in my opinion. Those 3-2 games could gave easily been 5-2 or 6-2 games.

2 people like this

Now that the series is over I can bring myself to saying nice things about the opponent. If they can keep that young core together (monahan, backlund, gaudreau, tkachuk) they'll be a dangerous team in the not too distant future. I really like Monahan. He was lethal on the PP and I didn't see no sneaky stuff from him. I expected more out of gaudreau though. On the other hand versteeg really surprised me. He was a bigger threat IMO.

Big letdown for them was obviously elliott (he was a difference maker but not the good kind). And if I were a flames fan I wouldn't be too happy with Hamilton either. Took a few boneheaded penalties.

If they can find themselves a solid goalie and perhaps pick up a/a few solid vet(s) we're going to see more of them in the next few years.

Having said that we were the better team. Our PK got into trouble but 5 on 5 we're flat out better. Very impressive how our boys shut them down in the 3rd period without taking penalties and without 2 of our top 3 defensemen (and at one point without all 3). Kudos to Gibson for playing a great game after a rough night.

Go Ducks!!

2 people like this

4 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Now that the series is over I can bring myself to saying nice things about the opponent. If they can keep that young core together (monahan, backlund, gaudreau, tkachuk) they'll be a dangerous team in the not too distant future. I really like Monahan. He was lethal on the PP and I didn't see no sneaky stuff from him. I expected more out of gaudreau though. On the other hand versteeg really surprised me. He was a bigger threat IMO.

Big letdown for them was obviously elliott (he was a difference maker but not the good kind). And if I were a flames fan I wouldn't be too happy with Hamilton either. Took a few boneheaded penalties.

If they can find themselves a solid goalie and perhaps pick up a/a few solid vet(s) we're going to see more of them in the next few years.

Having said that we were the better team. Our PK got into trouble but 5 on 5 we're flat out better. Very impressive how our boys shut them down in the 3rd period without taking penalties and without 2 of our top 3 defensemen (and at one point without all 3). Kudos to Gibson for playing a great game after a rough night.

Go Ducks!!

It's been speculated that Gaudreau was not 100% healthy. But it could also be that the Ducks just did a great job of shutting him down.The Ducks are a strong team because every player on this team is dedicated  to making the sacrifices needed to win. That's starts with their big guns and trickles down the roster. Johnny Hockey is a good player. But he is only one person and a team that relies too heavily on one or two players is easy to contain. 

1 person likes this

johnny hockey is fast but small; once the zebras allow the extra contact

that each team tries to bring in a tough playoff series it really hurts

the little guys more than bigger players.

i can't imagine how disappointed the flames and their fans feel

after watching elliot implode again and effectively kill them 

most of the series. he's a free agent now, the flames 

can NOT bring him back. 

6 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

It's been speculated that Gaudreau was not 100% healthy. But it could also be that the Ducks just did a great job of shutting him down.The Ducks are a strong team because every player on this team is dedicated  to making the sacrifices needed to win. That's starts with their big guns and trickles down the roster. Johnny Hockey is a good player. But he is only one person and a team that relies too heavily on one or two players is easy to contain. 

AGREE - watching JH was interesting  - he took to passing and not shooting - I think that he was nervous about getting plastered all over the wall. Has Getz's skill set but not a big enough body to play that way. Perhaps when he gets a bit older he may be able to be more aggressive. Our D did a TERRIFIC JOB on the Flames and protected our goalies. IMHO 

GO DUCKS !!!

1 person likes this

Flames fan here.

Just wanted to congratulate your side on a great series. No excuses on our end, you guys just have a great team.

Good luck in the upcoming rounds and I won't be sad if your side does to everyone else what you just did to us.

As an aside, If you guys don't buyout Bieksa, can you trade one of your top 3 great Dmen to us rather than lose them to Vegas in the expansion draft?

We're more than happy to help, lol.

5 people like this

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Flames fan here.

Just wanted to congratulate your side on a great series. No excuses on our end, you guys just have a great team.

Good luck in the upcoming rounds and I won't be sad if your side does to everyone else what you just did to us.

As an aside, If you guys don't buyout Bieksa, can you trade one of your top 3 great Dmen to us rather than lose them to Vegas in the expansion draft?

We're more than happy to help, lol.

Honestly  two of the four games could have easily gone the other way. The Flames are a young team and they are only going to get better.  Ducks are just a more experienced team. Combine that experience with some puck luck and that team will usually win out. The Ducks will be the first to tell you that the Flames were not a pushover  despite the sweep. All four games were close until the end. There were no blowouts like San Jose over Edmonton the other night. 

Thanks for the friendly remarks.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

Honestly, who is 100% this time of year. I don't believe Lindholm has been 100% since his injury. Bieksa took a beating so I don't think he was playing at 100% either. Add to that, 2 rookies and a 7th d-man on the blue line. Using the excuse that one player was not 100% doesn't get any sympathy from me.

6 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Honestly, who is 100% this time of year. I don't believe Lindholm has been 100% since his injury. Bieksa took a beating so I don't think he was playing at 100% either. Add to that, 2 rookies and a 7th d-man on the blue line. Using the excuse that one player was not 100% doesn't get any sympathy from me.

That was only one explanation I gave for Johnny Hockey's lack of effectiveness. In the second sentence of my post I said, 

It's been speculated that Gaudreau was not 100% healthy. But it could also be that the Ducks just did a great job of shutting him down.The Ducks are a strong team because every player on this team is dedicated  to making the sacrifices needed to win.

And I am not offering him any sympathy. In fact I think the guy is overrated. 

1 person likes this

I'm going to chalk it up to Kesler and JH's tendency to try to cherry pick, and that being fairly easy for our D-Line to predict and counter.  JH will have to change up his game, or they'll need more offense, if they're going to do well in the post season next year.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:03 AM, DucksFan_08 said:

Go Ducks!!

I felt that way when the Ducks played them two seasons ago, I thought they'd be in the playoffs for the foreseeable future. Then they missed the playoffs. They were streaky this year, both in their good and bad stretches. They have the potential, but not the consistency.

Now I think, until Giordano is gone and Monahan is the Captain, the team is going to have growing pains. A team whose captain attempts to injure players rather than outplay them will only have so much success. Like Dallas, Calgary needs to find a goalie, and draft a couple more.

Edited by Thom-74
1 person likes this

On 4/20/2017 at 7:34 PM, DuckFan4Life said:

Gaudreau is now going overseas to join the US team so he definitely isn't hurt. As far as I understand it, it's just Monahan and Frolik that both need wrist surgery. And I believe they've been playing through those for awhile now.

There really is no excuses, we lost to a heavy, experienced team. It's easy to blame everything under the sun when you get frustrated in the moment. But there really aren't many Flames fans still crying about what happened in the series. Cooler heads prevail and we're just proud of our guys to hang in every game against one of the league's elite teams.

Here is my one complaint that really piddlees me off: we drafted Phaneuf over Getzlaf, Carter, Richards, Parise etc...etc...etc...etc:lol:

18 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

I felt that way when the Ducks played them two seasons ago, I thought they'd be in the playoffs for the foreseeable future. Then they missed the playoffs. They were streaky this year, both in their good and bad stretches. They have the potential, but not the consistency.

Now I think, until Giordano is gone and Monahan is the Captain, the team is going to have growing pains. A team whose captain attempts to injure players rather than outplay them will only have so much success. Like Dallas, Calgary needs to find a goalie, and draft a couple more.

Giordano is a clown 

Ritchie should punch him too

Hard hitting clean hits are a great part of the game 

I applaud when cheap shots get physically addressed

otherwise cheap shots keep happening 

It's like when AL pitchers throw at guys.........drives me nuts 

20 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

That is ridiculous. That's one of the most hack things I've ever read. Yeah, Gio is Matt Cooke. Get a life that involves watching hockey. Nice erroneous statement that completely overlooks the facts, but why let facts get in the way of your ridiculous statement.

I get that Gio took Fowler out, but get real.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That is ridiculous. That's one of the most hack things I've ever read. Yeah, Gio is Matt Cooke. Get a life that involves watching hockey. Nice erroneous statement that completely overlooks the facts, but why let facts get in the way of your ridiculous statement.

I get that Gio took Fowler out, but get real.

GIordano's hit on Fowler was dirty.  Giordano also put a dirty hit on Bobby Ryan several years ago.  You're on a Duck fan board.  What do you expect? 

2 people like this

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

GIordano's hit on Fowler was dirty.  Giordano also put a dirty hit on Bobby Ryan several years ago.  You're on a Duck fan board.  What do you expect? 

Kind of my point, it's a fast game.

If you have to go back "several years", you probably shouldn't coin him as a dirty player. It's an unfortunate incident, it wasn't intentional or he'd have a history of it. He doesn't. He's a great Captain. Even wins "fittest Flame" for some years running. Why work that hard to be a dirty player? It is sad to portray him that way, even NHL Radio was making fun of Murray for his Gio comments.

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Kind of my point, it's a fast game.

If you have to go back "several years", you probably shouldn't coin him as a dirty player. It's an unfortunate incident, it wasn't intentional or he'd have a history of it. He doesn't. He's a great Captain. Even wins "fittest Flame" for some years running. Why work that hard to be a dirty player? It is sad to portray him that way, even NHL Radio was making fun of Murray for his Gio comments.

I mean...

1 person likes this

I love how a blatant dirty hit is being passed off as an "unfortunate incident" lol. 

But Gio wins the fitness award each year, how could he be dirty!? Haha. Yeah, he has really strong knees, that explains it.

Better learn to just own it, Flames fan. Considering the type of team being built up there, it's going to get tougher and tougher to spin dirty plays in the coming years.

3 people like this

19 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I love how a blatant dirty hit is being passed off as an "unfortunate incident" lol. 

But Gio wins the fitness award each year, how could he be dirty!? Haha. Yeah, he has really strong knees, that explains it.

Better learn to just own it, Flames fan. Considering the type of team being built up there, it's going to get tougher and tougher to spin dirty plays in the coming years.

I'm sure Flames fan would be singing a different tune if it was Kesler on Little Johnny.

2 people like this