The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jiggy2win

Fowler contact extension

51 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

lol, ok. 

This injury now has every GM in the league thinking of ways to low-ball GMBM. 

I agree. This injury is bad for BM. Sigh. 

Can we take a moment to acknowledge the fact that the Calgary Flames are pure trash? It was pretty obvious Vatanen rushed back but I had no idea he was that injured. They took out two of our top 3 defencemen and they still couldn't win a single game. 

8 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Can we take a moment to acknowledge the fact that the Calgary Flames are pure trash? It was pretty obvious Vatanen rushed back but I had no idea he was that injured. They took out two of our top 3 defencemen and they still couldn't win a single game. 

My count has three. 

41 minutes ago, Jiggy2win said:

So much for trading Sami over the summer....

Again, 4 months of no-hockey is up, this kind of trade is a long-term move while most of the potential suitors are not even contenders anyway.

A healthy Vatanen in 5 months is as good as he would be now.

When Nate had the same surgery after the WCF against Chicago, he didn't return to action until December 2nd. And even then, they worked him in pretty slowly. 

Vats also apparently has a reputation as not being much of an off-season workout warrior. I don't know if that's true or not, but the reputation is out there. If I'm another team's GM, I'm not giving up much for a guy who I won't see on the ice until December, especially after his down year. Sami's value is truly at rock bottom right now. And this is coming from Sami's 2nd biggest fan on the board.... :ph34r:

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

lol, ok. 

This injury now has every GM in the league thinking of ways to low-ball GMBM. 

Son of a :angry::angry::angry:!

That's a huge monkey wrench in everything now. I have no idea how this could impact Sami's trade potential and the ED. On another note, tons of respect for Vats and Hampus. Can't believe they played through those injuries at the level that they did. Beasts. That explains why Carlyle held their minutes down more than seemed logical, eh?

Almost points to the fact that we can't trade Cam now, or risk having an AHL defense start the year and digging a hole they can't climb back out of.

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

Are you sure LV would choose injured Vats over one of our exposed forwards?

I'd risk it if they're unable to trade him.

I'm not sure it affects his trade value too much. He might miss a couple months of hockey but he's signed beyond this year. GMs will be thinking longer term. 

1 hour ago, nieder said:

I'm not sure it affects his trade value too much. He might miss a couple months of hockey but he's signed beyond this year. GMs will be thinking longer term. 

normally I'd agree, but not sure about LV.  They have this one shot to get some really good players... and thinking short term.  maybe.

On 5/25/2017 at 0:16 PM, ZTHER said:

Seabrook got a 8 x $6.85 extension two years ago... I think Fowler who is younger gets something closer to 6 x $7...

Doughty got $7M X 8. As much as I dislike Doughty, Fowler is not of the same caliber as Doughty.

3 hours ago, nieder said:

THIS

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

normally I'd agree, but not sure about LV.  They have this one shot to get some really good players... and thinking short term.  maybe.

Que? :) They can only think long-term and long-term only.
Can not take 30 other teams' also rans plus a high pick and expect to contend for the cup right away.

They will be glad to field a roster. It will take at least another 4-5 years to even have the chance to be a contender.

On 2017. 05. 26. at 2:17 AM, dtsdlaw said:

When Nate had the same surgery after the WCF against Chicago, he didn't return to action until December 2nd. And even then, they worked him in pretty slowly. 

Vats also apparently has a reputation as not being much of an off-season workout warrior. I don't know if that's true or not, but the reputation is out there. If I'm another team's GM, I'm not giving up much for a guy who I won't see on the ice until December, especially after his down year. Sami's value is truly at rock bottom right now. And this is coming from Sami's 2nd biggest fan on the board.... :ph34r:

GMBM has the prospect/young player route to bring in forward help. Can package Ritchie and Theodore.

Trading Vatanen for cheap >>> losing him for nothing (even the chance of it).

Bob will take the best he can get for him, he only has to find one right buyer.
Cam's gotta stay and Lindholm should be the rock foundation, along with Montour and Manson.

4 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Doughty got $7M X 8. As much as I dislike Doughty, Fowler is not of the same caliber as Doughty.

Doughty signed that contract extension 6 years ago... 

If a 31 year old Johnny Boychuk nets $6MM x 7 in 2015 I'd think Fowler could (and should) do better...

11 hours ago, ZTHER said:

Doughty signed that contract extension 6 years ago... 

If a 31 year old Johnny Boychuk nets $6MM x 7 in 2015 I'd think Fowler could (and should) do better...

And, if I remember correctly, Doughty still had several RFA years left on that deal.  That drives the price down.  Fowler's deal will be entirely UFA years.  I'm hoping they can get him for $7 mil or just under, although I think he deserves more like $7.5.

22 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

And, if I remember correctly, Doughty still had several RFA years left on that deal.  That drives the price down.  Fowler's deal will be entirely UFA years.  I'm hoping they can get him for $7 mil or just under, although I think he deserves more like $7.5.

If that's the price, we need to move on. Fowler just had the best season of his career and still ended with only 39 points (only 1 more point than Vats had in 2015-16 in 9 fewer games). And sorry to say this, but as good as he is at retrieving pucks and moving them up the ice, Cam has not made any improvements defending in front of the net. He's still very soft there, and by now it's pretty clear he's not going to improve much in that area. Watching Nashville put Cam's skills in perspective for me. He was the 3rd or 4th best defenseman on the ice in that series, and he might only been that high because Lindholm had a torn labrum. I'd like to keep him, but not for more than $6-6.25M/season.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

If that's the price, we need to move on. Fowler just had the best season of his career and still ended with only 39 points (only 1 more point than Vats had in 2015-16 in 9 fewer games). And sorry to say this, but as good as he is at retrieving pucks and moving them up the ice, Cam has not made any improvements defending in front of the net. He's still very soft there, and by now it's pretty clear he's not going to improve much in that area. Watching Nashville put Cam's skills in perspective for me. He was the 3rd or 4th best defenseman on the ice in that series, and he might only been that high because Lindholm had a torn labrum. I'd like to keep him, but not for more than $6-6.25M/season.

Yeah. I was thinking around this figure too.   

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agreed. Cam has holes in his game that aren't going to close. He is an offensive defenseman that is soft on the defensive side. 

35 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Agreed. Cam has holes in his game that aren't going to close. He is an offensive defenseman that is soft on the defensive side. 

We also have to keep in mind that Manson and Monty will also be due big raises at the same time Fowler is (same for Theo if he's still here). And Manson will be 26 and Monty 24, so BM will probably be trying to buy up some UFA years on their next contracts too, meaning higher AAVs for both. Basically, Fowler is going to have to take a home town discount for his next deal to make sense for the Ducks.

On 5/25/2017 at 3:07 PM, Jiggy2win said:

So much for trading Sami over the summer....

If you can't get much for him, let Vegas take him.  He wasn't really all that stellar as a $4m /per player last season.  I'd protect Manson instead.

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I would pay him Seabrook's extension ($6.875) and I think he's worth that.  Much more and his deficiencies become harder to deal with.  

But if Bob doesn't think he can get an extension done, then he needs to look at moving Fowler instead of Vatanen and before the expansion draft if possible.  

Media: "7-3 or 8-1, Bobbo?"

Murray: "It may not come to that."

The way Murray was talking in his exit interview, I'm leaning towards thinking Bob might have something going with GMGM (Vegas) that might allow us to keep all of our defensemen beyond the ED, especially in light of the injury situation. 

25 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

The way Murray was talking in his exit interview, I'm leaning towards thinking Bob might have something going with GMGM (Vegas) that might allow us to keep all of our defensemen beyond the ED, especially in light of the injury situation. 

BM has mentioned that they've been talking.

1 hour ago, AustinDuck27 said:

+1. I still think GMGM is not going to try to build a good team in year 1. He'll want as many picks and prospects as he can get. It's how he built the Caps after stripping them down to nothing and then rebuilding around Ovi. I'd bet dollars to donuts that GMGM wants Larsson, Jones or Steel more than someone from our current roster. I'm on board with that too. Even if we eventually trade Vats, we're probably getting a better player in return for him that will help us sooner than any of those prospects will.

5 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I would pay him Seabrook's extension ($6.875) and I think he's worth that.  Much more and his deficiencies become harder to deal with.  

But if Bob doesn't think he can get an extension done, then he needs to look at moving Fowler instead of Vatanen and before the expansion draft if possible.  

I struggle with "deficiencies" as Fowler is widely viewed as a balanced player who can do it all... Yes, he's not a strong defender with his back to the net... but how bad was he when matched up against Lucic in the Edmonton series? I may be wrong because I'm going off memory. but this season didn't Fowler lead the team in defensive zone starts? I'd argue his loose puck hounding skills, zone exits, and and low turnover rank him in the top 5 in the league as far as clearing the zone... that right there limits how much time you'll spend standing in front of the net defending.

Seabrook money, probably a little bit more... and worth every penny. He's not going to get physically stronger, but he will likely get more crafty defensively over time.

1 hour ago, ZTHER said:

I struggle with "deficiencies" as Fowler is widely viewed as a balanced player who can do it all... Yes, he's not a strong defender with his back to the net... but how bad was he when matched up against Lucic in the Edmonton series? I may be wrong because I'm going off memory. but this season didn't Fowler lead the team in defensive zone starts? I'd argue his loose puck hounding skills, zone exits, and and low turnover rank him in the top 5 in the league as far as clearing the zone... that right there limits how much time you'll spend standing in front of the net defending.

Seabrook money, probably a little bit more... and worth every penny. He's not going to get physically stronger, but he will likely get more crafty defensively over time.

AGREE - he is still a very young D-man and I would expect him to continue to improve. He dosn't have a significant injury history ( yet ) and he seems like a hard working guy. His demeanor is excellent and the years ( I believe it was 2 ) living with Scotty and family gave him a GREAT SCRIPT to follow. IMHO

PS I don't think he will try to extort us.  

Fowler has been my favorite player for years now. I love just watching him maneuver the puck out of danger each time like a magician. I would love to see him resign. We need him but not at the cost of breaking the bank and preventing us to add a special young forward who is gifted at scoring if that is in the realm of Possibility that Bob will even attempt to obtain. 

I believe Lindholm has a 5 year $5,200,000.00 contract. One option would be to offer Fowler some yearly salary in the same price range but for a long term, like 10 or 12 years.

I have always been a big fan of Fowler. This year he showed that he can step up his game with off-season video watching and practice. If I remember correctly, he studied what all top scoring defense do, and the outcome was an early season goal production and being voted to the all star game. It is great that he puts it on himself to get better.

Even at 6 million per year for a long term contract or more for a short term one, I would do what it takes to keep him on the team.

On a side note, I think that the team should take away Perry"s "A" and give it to Fowler. This would show the team was acknowledging the younger team core, while hopefully lighting a spark under Perry.

1 hour ago, Southbayduck said:

I believe Lindholm has a 5 year $5,200,000.00 contract. One option would be to offer Fowler some yearly salary in the same price range but for a long term, like 10 or 12 years.

I have always been a big fan of Fowler. This year he showed that he can step up his game with off-season video watching and practice. If I remember correctly, he studied what all top scoring defense do, and the outcome was an early season goal production and being voted to the all star game. It is great that he puts it on himself to get better.

Even at 6 million per year for a long term contract or more for a short term one, I would do what it takes to keep him on the team.

On a side note, I think that the team should take away Perry"s "A" and give it to Fowler. This would show the team was acknowledging the younger team core, while hopefully lighting a spark under Perry.

You can only give a max of 8 years. 

Agree about the captaincy.