The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jiggy2win

Fowler contact extension

1 minute ago, SelanneFTW_30 said:

Perry has one down year this year and everyone thinks its the end. One down year in the last decade.

I wasn't referring to Perry's down year. It's pretty obvious that the beatings he has taken over the years are affecting his game. 

23 hours ago, ZTHER said:

As early as next season?

Making Cam Assistant Captain will perhaps, help officiating turn the page. I'm sure Scotty has told Cam the best way to interact with the refs. I could see Kozari hearing Fowler out rather than having an ego battle like he does with Getzlaf and Perry.

21 hours ago, Jipperdoodles said:

I think I saw a different Calgary series.

That series was an example of how much we missed him.  Anaheim struggled in many of the exact areas that Fowler improves.

Puck getting and clearing first among those. The stats have been talked about, but the difference in puck retrieval was clear and obvious between the Calgary and Edmonton series.

i remember a game before he got injured when a 50-50 puck ended up in

a bad spot in the defensive zone.   cam anticipated, reacted quickly, 

retrieved the puck,  and made a quick and confident pass.  

i couldn't help think of how few of  other d-men could of made

that play,  let alone make it look easy.   i was impressed at how

much he's improved.

No pressure to move Vats now....could be just as well after he returns from injury.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones that are never made.

4 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I wasn't referring to Perry's down year. It's pretty obvious that the beatings he has taken over the years are affecting his game. 

In Perry's defense, he was also very unlucky. 

4 hours ago, niltes said:

i remember a game before he got injured when a 50-50 puck ended up in

a bad spot in the defensive zone.   cam anticipated, reacted quickly, 

retrieved the puck,  and made a quick and confident pass.  

i couldn't help think of how few of  other d-men could of made

that play,  let alone make it look easy.   i was impressed at how

much he's improved.

If you want a underappreciated skill, he's top five in the league in puck retrieval... arguably top two with Letang.

This is from the playoffs. Stuff Cam does that doesn't show up on a scoresheet but ultimately contributes to the Ducks' offense (and keeps the puck out of their own zone). You'll notice Lindholm is very high as well, along with former Duck Shea Theodore. On the flip side, more evidence Bieksa is bad. 

The videos in the first link of Hampus masterfully stripping McDavid and Kassian of the puck are a treat to watch. We have some great D.

Looks like Vats made a good showing on that list as well!

1 minute ago, aagnew said:

The videos in the first link of Hampus masterfully stripping McDavid and Kassian of the puck are a treat to watch. We have some great D.

Looks like Vats made a good showing on that list as well!

47 & 45 doing it with mangled shoulders too.

So glad we're keeping the big-3 + Manson together for another season. When everyone is all healed up in Nov/Dec, our defense should be stupid good.

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

47 & 45 doing it with mangled shoulders too.

So glad we're keeping the big-3 + Manson together for another season. When everyone is all healed up in Nov/Dec, our defense should be stupid good.

Until they all get banged up in the playoffs once again. Hopefullly not as bad though. And not bad enough that they are out of the playoffs (i.e. Eaves). If they can all manage to play through the rough and tumble of each series then we should be ok. Hope there is a way to add a scorer at the deadline somehow. 

On 7/1/2017 at 1:21 PM, Ducks-Roll said:

Those are rather arbitrary amounts. We can quibble about the dollars, but no reasonable argument can be made that the deal is two years too long. That's just laughable. 

Dear Ducks-Roll,

Unfortunately, it won't be laughable when CF will be 33 or 34 year old (if he'll make it so far) playing for this ridiculous contract. Keep in mind that he has one more year before his new contract kicks in, so overall 9 guaranteed years for a player who already had multiple serious injuries in his career.

Seems like BM did not learn from Corey Perry or Kevin Bieksa experience, and continues to throw generous contracts to the players who are good but expendable. I only hope that 6-7 years from now Ducks won't need to buy out the remainder of his contract (say hello to Simon Despres and Mark Fistric).

I still believe 5 year would be a good term for Cam, and if he declined accept it, the Ducks still would have a full year to test his trade value.

38 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Dear Ducks-Roll,

Unfortunately, it won't be laughable when CF will be 33 or 34 year old (if he'll make it so far) playing for this ridiculous contract. Keep in mind that he has one more year before his new contract kicks in, so overall 9 guaranteed years for a player who already had multiple serious injuries in his career.

Seems like BM did not learn from Corey Perry or Kevin Bieksa experience, and continues to throw generous contracts to the players who are good but expendable. I only hope that 6-7 years from now Ducks won't need to buy out the remainder of his contract (say hello to Simon Despres and Mark Fistric).

I still believe 5 year would be a good term for Cam, and if he declined accept it, the Ducks still would have a full year to test his trade value.

Referencing the Simon Despres contract in this discussion is irrelevant. Simon Despres was rewarded with a reasonable contract for his play and concussions destroyed his career prompting the buyout. We will never know if he would have lived up to that contract. 

Perry has had one bad year and yet BM should have learned a lesson? You are correct that if Perry continues to struggle the contract will look bad. A trend cannot be inferred from a single data point.

You are correct that injuries are a concern. However, they cannot be predicted--Simon Despres for example. Yes Cam Fowler has had multiple knee injuries. However the injuries have not shown to have a lasting impact on his game and if it were not for dirty plays some may never have happened (Giorodano). 

Cam Fowler will be locked in with the Ducks during his prime at a reasonable cap hit. He would have been offered more on the open market. He wants to be a Duck. 

12 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Dear Ducks-Roll,

Contracts are "insured" which compensate the team in case of  injuries.  It's a Good signing. In five years, $6.5m will be like $4.5m now.

12 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Dear Ducks-Roll,

You're overstating Fowler's injury history. What serious injury history does he have? The worst injury he's had happened this year and he only missed about three weeks because of it. Over his seven-year career, Fowler has averaged 6.5 games missed per season. He's play 80+ games three times of those seven years. Two of those injuries -- this year with the knee-on-knee from Giordano and I believe 12-13 on a boarding from Jarrett Stoll -- were the result of a dirty play. If you're trying to say Cam shouldn't have gotten this deal because he's injury prone, sorry but I'm not seeing a real reason for concern here. 

As far as Perry, yes he's overpaid at the moment (though still a productive player that I believe will bounce back), but that's the price you pay for one of the top five goal scorers of the last decade. Where would the Ducks be the past four years without Perry? Don't really see the comparison with Bieksa. Totally different situations and contracts. 

As Fowl said above, for the duration of Fowler's contract $6.5 million per year won't seem that much in future years as the cap rises -- or if it gets rolled back following the next lockout. 

Let's say the Ducks let Fowler go instead of paying him ... where does that money go? You'd prefer BM spend it on some UFA, who is likely older and equally as costly but less valuable? Fowler does things for the Ducks defense that aren't quantifiable. He's very important to this team. 

13 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Dear Ducks-Roll,

Fowler doesn't exactly play an overly physical game. I'm not sure why you would have any concerns about him still playing when he's 34 years old....

20 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Dear Ducks-Roll,

Like previously mentioned, Fowler doesn't have an overly physical game. His biggest injury was his injury at the end of the regular season and that had nothing to do with being injury prone or anything to do with him. No player can do anything about a knee on knee when they are on the receiving end.