The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lot of stuff coming out today on exit interview day.

And Cogs with excellent fashion sense.

Getzlaf wants a full training camp? He does know who the coach is, right? Or was that a subtle dig at the teams leading goal scorer. 

Looks like Ducks defense had it pretty rough, half of them were playing hurt during the playoffs.  Too bad, this offseason felt right once they got past EDM.  Would've loved to see Ducks play Preds healthy and earn a spot in the Cup finals.

Good thing Eaves was not out there as a "liability," otherwise we might have lost the series.

Bieksa moved up a notch in my book, for making it sound like he played hurt, when he easily could have stayed out of the lineup.  Ditto with Vatanen & Lindholm.

The one year where Ryan Getzlaf is completely healthy for the playoffs and the rest of the team gets messed up to no end. Lol Ducks ? ?

I was kinda hoping they would say Perry has been playing with an injury since training camp. Lol. 

So wait...so...is Despres NOT completely done?! That would be huge...I mean for many reasons like his career wouldn't be over!

37 minutes ago, nieder said:

I was kinda hoping they would say Perry has been playing with an injury since training camp. Lol. 

LOL.......

Why no update on Gibson or was it is normally reoccuring every other month injury.........j/k.

Does Vats injury completely change ED and trade issues as to our D men?

49 minutes ago, nieder said:

This.

Even if Despres skates, he's untradeable.  

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

So wait...so...is Despres NOT completely done?! That would be huge...I mean for many reasons like his career wouldn't be over!

That's a pretty cryptic message, on par with all of Murray's other comments on Despres this year. Could be read both ways I guess. I thought it was mentioned at one point that SD was flirting with skating again, but I can't remember where I saw that.

Murray could mean that Despres will be back skating soon, or that he'll be moved to Vegas or somewhere in a weird deal, or that Despres will announce retirement (maybe take an off-ice position with the team like a scout-- similar to Cunningham in AZ).  ???  Who knows.

This is devastating. Kesler's and Bieksa's reactions say it all. I know no team gets through The Playoffs unharmed but this is simply too much. No wonder the boys looked gassed at times. Half of them was probably high on painkillers. I really hope we start of strong next season and have our spot locked up somewhere in march. Then start rotating. Rest all key guys every few games. Home-ice don't matter all that much.

9 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

This is devastating. Kesler's and Bieksa's reactions say it all. I know no team gets through The Playoffs unharmed but this is simply too much. No wonder the boys looked gassed at times. Half of them was probably high on painkillers. I really hope we start of strong next season and have our spot locked up somewhere in march. Then start rotating. Rest all key guys every few games. Home-ice don't matter all that much.

No kidding.  One more goal by Ottawa, and we would be looking at #8 Vs #8.  And our record at home was supposedly a sign of good things for the post-season.....not so much.

Given the time so many of our guys missed, felt it was pretty obvious they came back early just because it was the playoffs .  Not really surprised by anything that was said by BM save for owning up his mistakes with Cram and Noesen.  I think ownership, management, the team and fan base are all pretty disappointed how this all played out.  I truly believe the team that finished the season 11-0-3 was going to the finals and had a great chance to win the cup.  Still believe we have the best team if not for injuries and the lack of rest between series the NHL gave us.  Emotions get the better part of us sometimes when we're disappointed.

Hmmm wonder if BM saying Vats has a longer recovery period and could be out a long time is his way of bluffing LV to not select Vats? That would mean he is intending to expose him. Just speculation sprouting in the conspiracy area of my frontal lobe cortex. 

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

Hmmm wonder if BM saying Vats has a longer recovery period and could be out a long time is his way of bluffing LV to not select Vats? That would mean he is intending to expose him. Just speculation sprouting in the conspiracy area of my frontal lobe cortex. 

I was thinking more along the line of Murray laying the groundwork for justifying allowing Vats to be exposed in the event Vats is selected. At this point Murray is not going to be able to protect everyone and he is pointing out to the fan base that Vatanen's recovery time is going to be a very long, undetermined duration which will extend  well into next season. It justifies Murray possible protecting either a Manson or a Montour over Vatanen to some degree as they are expected to be ready to go at the start of next season. Just  speculation on my part.

17 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

That's a pretty cryptic message, on par with all of Murray's other comments on Despres this year. Could be read both ways I guess. I thought it was mentioned at one point that SD was flirting with skating again, but I can't remember where I saw that.

Murray could mean that Despres will be back skating soon, or that he'll be moved to Vegas or somewhere in a weird deal, or that Despres will announce retirement (maybe take an off-ice position with the team like a scout-- similar to Cunningham in AZ).  ???  Who knows.

Once "healthy" I think the Ducks buy him out.  He's damaged goods.

3 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

No kidding.  One more goal by Ottawa, and we would be looking at #8 Vs #8.  And our record at home was supposedly a sign of good things for the post-season.....not so much.

Ottawa wasn't a wild card   #2 in the Altantic with 98 points.  TMLeafs were the #8 seed in the east.  By points, Ottawa would be the #6 seed.

5 hours ago, RobD360 said:

It keeps his options more open, which every GM wants to do.  I don't think he's made a decision yet (which is telling by itself).  The only downside is if it backfires on his relationship with Vats.  Perfect world, we keep the d-line intact for next year, and hopefully much healthier than this.

17 hours ago, Fisix said:

It keeps his options more open, which every GM wants to do.  I don't think he's made a decision yet (which is telling by itself).  The only downside is if it backfires on his relationship with Vats.  Perfect world, we keep the d-line intact for next year, and hopefully much healthier than this.

We can't and shouldn't keep the D intact as it was this past season. That would mean Lindholm, vats, Fowler, Manson, theo, Bieska, Stoner, Montour, holzier all return. Reasons 1). Too many already. 2). We can't afford to keep all of them AND sign a top winger especially with Fowlers contract needing to be resigned. Something has got to give. There is no way we see the same d corp roll in next year. 

Kesler's words: played too defensive, worried about the other team too much.

On 5/27/2017 at 10:03 AM, RobD360 said:

We can't and shouldn't keep the D intact as it was this past season. That would mean Lindholm, vats, Fowler, Manson, theo, Bieska, Stoner, Montour, holzier all return. Reasons 1). Too many already. 2). We can't afford to keep all of them AND sign a top winger especially with Fowlers contract needing to be resigned. Something has got to give. There is no way we see the same d corp roll in next year. 

You're getting all worked up before any $$ is due.  We can keep the D line intact, and we can make harder decisions once Fowler's new contract goes into effect at the end of next season.  

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

You're getting all worked up before any $$ is due.  We can keep the D line intact, and we can make harder decisions once Fowler's new contract goes into effect at the end of next season.  

He's right, though.  The opportunity cost of keeping that defense intact is either continuing with a below average forward unit or putting themselves in even more cap hell than they already are.

We CAN keep the d-line intact, but why do so?  Stoner doesn't need to stay.  Vatanen, Montour, Theodore, and maybe Manson and Fowler are all decent to good trade chips.  There are other guys in the system who can step up - Larsson, Megna, Welinski, Petersson.  I just don't think it makes sense for the Ducks to tread water with the defense unless they can find some other creative ways to improve the offense.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

He's right, though.  The opportunity cost of keeping that defense intact is either continuing with a below average forward unit or putting themselves in even more cap hell than they already are.

We CAN keep the d-line intact, but why do so?  Stoner doesn't need to stay.  Vatanen, Montour, Theodore, and maybe Manson and Fowler are all decent to good trade chips.  There are other guys in the system who can step up - Larsson, Megna, Welinski, Petersson.  I just don't think it makes sense for the Ducks to tread water with the defense unless they can find some other creative ways to improve the offense.

I was kind of assuming Fisix meant the guys who actually played in the playoffs this season. BM seems to think we were extremely close this season and that he might be able to do a deal with GMGM that keeps the team mostly intact. I think we could return all six starters on the blue line next season and be in good shape. Stoner gets bought out (saves $2M in cap space), Theo gets traded in a package for a forward, and Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen, Montour, Manson and Bieksa all stay. Lindholm should be back in October, and we can fill in for Vatanen with Gulls or another year of Holzer and be fine. And between Bernier's $4.15M cap hit coming off the books, losing $2M of Stoner's cap hit, and a cap increase of $1.5M - $2M, we should have plenty of cap space to add a goalscorer to the forward group. Sounds like there's a decision coming soon on Despres too, so we may not even have to worry about his LTIR impact on our cap soon. We'll know more about where we stand in a couple of weeks, but it's not unreasonable to think that we could enter the 2018 playoffs with the same starting six that ended the 2017 playoffs.