Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drake12

6 June 2007-10 years on

Recommended Posts

Today is the ten year anniversary when our Ducks became the first California team, and the first West Coast team since 1925 to win the Stanley Cup. 

I remember sitting on the couch at my girlfriend's house watching game five. I just kept getting louder, and louder until it was all over and Scotty raised that beautiful Cup. Still kind of a blur, but I remember it as one of the happiest days of my life, especially after the frustration of being so close in 2003.

What are your memories of it all? The run to the Cup? Game five? The Cup Final series?

Here's a few goodies to celebrate:

The words of Todd Marchant:

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/the-anniversary-of-passion-sacrifice-heart--and-destiny/c-289789384

Simply the best:

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/06/a-decade-after-winning-the-stanley-cup-title-the-2006-07-ducks-remain-the-franchises-beloved-standard/

Where are they now:

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/06/ducks-2006-07-stanley-cup-championship-team-where-are-they-now/

Cheers ya'll. Hope we have another day like the sixth of June very soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting this. Wish I had my 2007 Championship DVD with me. Maybe I can find it on Youtube or something to watch tonight. Good times!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, nieder said:

Thanks for posting this. Wish I had my 2007 Championship DVD with me. Maybe I can find it on Youtube or something to watch tonight. Good times!

LOL just noticed Drake posted the link to it in the original post. Nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nieder said:

LOL just noticed Drake posted the link to it in the original post. Nice.

I'm listening to it right now as I work. I'll watch it in full with a good bottle of wine tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Game 5 in my dorm room with a friend while I was supposed to be in class. The games weren't on TV at home back then so I was watching some dodgy bad quality internet stream. It was still awesome. Was super jealous of all the fans that got to see it live and party afterwards in Anaheim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still the greatest hockey team ever assembled in the salary cap era. 

I had the worst flu of my life that day lol. I remember fading in and out of consciousness long enough to see Alfredsson singlehandedly carry his team back into the game only for them to score the greatest Cup clinching goal of all time into their own net moments later. Fun fact: Beauchemin's dagger still hasn't been pulled out of the city of Ottawa's ribs. 

McDonald deserves a statue for his performance in that series. Retire the #35 already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Still the greatest hockey team ever assembled in the salary cap era. 

I had the worst flu of my life that day lol. I remember fading in and out of consciousness long enough to see Alfredsson singlehandedly carry his team back into the game only for them to score the greatest Cup clinching goal of all time into their own net moments later. Fun fact: Beauchemin's dagger still hasn't been pulled out of the city of Ottawa's ribs. 

McDonald deserves a statue for his performance in that series. Retire the #35 already. 

Andy Mac was so clutch against Ottawa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Drake12 said:

Andy Mac was so clutch against Ottawa.

I still remember his hatty against Vancouver pretty clearly. Hat trick goal in the last minute of the game. Andy Mac was awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Drake12 said:

Andy Mac was so clutch against Ottawa.

Along those lines, one of my favorite memories from the Cup run was one of the only two games I got to see in person. I was a game in the Vancouver series where A Mac dropped a hatty on them. Teemu and Getz also picked up goals. It was beautiful as there was a HUGE group of obnoxious Nucks fans sitting near us. They left before the game was done looking all sheepish as nearby Ducks fans gave them a "friendly" farewell. ;)   My wife's favorite player back then was Andy, so it was perfect.

edit- ^^^ LOL, nieder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way things work in the world, it seems, is for conflicts to arise to mess with your main priorities. 

This Cup final was no different.  I had been a season ticket holder for years and after 2003 I was HOT for the Ducks to win.   I was also was engaged to a woman in Mexico, which [finally] necessitated that I get a Sentri Pass to cross the border without the usual 3 hour waits (I spent years extra off my life in the border line in San Ysidro....).   That process used to take almost a year, and for me it took only 2 months....and the final day, when I had to be in Otay Mesa at the CBP office was Cup Final Day.  So, I watched the game in the bar of a restaurant in the Chula Vista Marina...and had to leave with enough time to make my appointment at Otay Mesa....and the radio reception in south San Diego totally sucked BUT I got to hear the end but not see it until later....The CBP enjoyed my DUCKS sweater.  What a great day in so many ways!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was down the street at National's Bar and Grill watching the game. Towards the end of the game one of the waitresses came to our table and handed me a  t-shirt featuring the Ducks-Senators 2007 Stanley cups finals on the front. She said I had been voted by the waitress and bar staff as the most enthusiastic Ducks fan in the bar. My buddy quickly quipped, "You mean the most drunk". LOL

AS each Duck player raised the cup the crowd roared it's approval. I think when Teemu raised the cup I ruptured a vocal cord. But it was worth it.

 

Such a good memory. Thanks for starting this thread.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Still the greatest hockey team ever assembled in the salary cap era. 

I had the worst flu of my life that day lol. I remember fading in and out of consciousness long enough to see Alfredsson singlehandedly carry his team back into the game only for them to score the greatest Cup clinching goal of all time into their own net moments later. Fun fact: Beauchemin's dagger still hasn't been pulled out of the city of Ottawa's ribs. 

McDonald deserves a statue for his performance in that series. Retire the #35 already. 

They really might be. One of only four teams that didn't have a seven-game series en route to the Cup, so major points for efficiency. The others were the 2008 Red Wings, 2010 Blackhawks and 2012 Kings (sadly the Ducks are the only ones of this group that never got back to another Cup final). 

Roster wise, the Ducks had three guys who were Hall of Famers no matter what happened that series, another guy who was a former Conn Smyth winner and then a winger that would go on to be a league MVP. And that's not even mentioning Getzlaf, who has a decent shot at the Hall himself and is one of the most under-appreciated centers of this generation. 

I think those 2007 Ducks could beat anybody, but man those 2010 Blackhawks were absolutely stacked up front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the fourth line was basically non-existent  in addition to the 5th and especially 6th d-man being

pretty weak.  the strength of the rest of the team covered up those weaknesses,  but that

lack of depth is what prevents them from being an all time great team.  in addition if jiggy

hadn't outplayed hasak by such a wide margin goal, i doubt the ducks beat the red wings.

hasak was certainly better than this years calgary's elliot,  but overall he was quite weak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jiggy2win said:

10 years is ancient history in sports. About time to win another one. 

You bet. 

Seems as though the boys got a little stick tap from the organization....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ritz10hock said:

They really might be. One of only four teams that didn't have a seven-game series en route to the Cup, so major points for efficiency. The others were the 2008 Red Wings, 2010 Blackhawks and 2012 Kings (sadly the Ducks are the only ones of this group that never got back to another Cup final). 

Roster wise, the Ducks had three guys who were Hall of Famers no matter what happened that series, another guy who was a former Conn Smyth winner and then a winger that would go on to be a league MVP. And that's not even mentioning Getzlaf, who has a decent shot at the Hall himself and is one of the most under-appreciated centers of this generation. 

I think those 2007 Ducks could beat anybody, but man those 2010 Blackhawks were absolutely stacked up front. 

To be fair, the 2010 Blackhawks also had an extra 12 million dollars in salary cap space to work with compared to what we had in 2007. The Ducks took the defending champions + a prime Marian Hossa to 7 games in 2009 with Andrew Ebbett (lol) as their #2 centre. Hate to start a discussion of what-ifs here but give that team Andy McDonald  (44 points in 46 games on St. Louis that year) and there's a really good chance that they're the ones hoisting the Cup again that summer. 

10 hours ago, niltes said:

the fourth line was basically non-existent  in addition to the 5th and especially 6th d-man being

pretty weak.  the strength of the rest of the team covered up those weaknesses,  but that

lack of depth is what prevents them from being an all time great team.  in addition if jiggy

hadn't outplayed hasak by such a wide margin goal, i doubt the ducks beat the red wings.

hasak was certainly better than this years calgary's elliot,  but overall he was quite weak.

Disagree 100%. Todd Marchant was one of the most versatile 4th liners in the game at the time. He was the original Cogliano and could've been slotted anywhere in the lineup because he played every situation. Thornton/May/Parros were on the team to be bullies, not to score. Thornton played the exact same role on the 2011 Bruins, a team that loved to boast about having the "best 4th line in hockey". Huskins and Dependable Joe weren't world-beaters but you could say the same about literally every 5-6 defender to win the Cup in the last 15 years. The depth wasn't an issue, the absurd amount of talent ahead of them in the lineup overshadowed them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drake12 said:

You bet. 

Seems as though the boys got a little stick tap from the organization....

 

May! 

His "Who the [expletive deleted] are you?!" still gets me. And when he met the Govenator. What a character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

To be fair, the 2010 Blackhawks also had an extra 12 million dollars in salary cap space to work with compared to what we had in 2007. The Ducks took the defending champions + a prime Marian Hossa to 7 games in 2009 with Andrew Ebbett (lol) as their #2 centre. Hate to start a discussion of what-ifs here but give that team Andy McDonald  (44 points in 46 games on St. Louis that year) and there's a really good chance that they're the ones hoisting the Cup again that summer. 

Andy McDonald was a cap casualty, but hard to reference that and not talk about all the players the Blackhawks have had to let go for the same reasons. If the cap didn't force Chicago to deal Byfuglien, Ladd and Versteeg, they could've easily won the Cup again in 2011. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ritz10hock said:

Andy McDonald was a cap casualty, but hard to reference that and not talk about all the players the Blackhawks have had to let go for the same reasons. If the cap didn't force Chicago to deal Byfuglien, Ladd and Versteeg, they could've easily won the Cup again in 2011. 

 

Andy was a Niedermayer/Selanne retirement dance casualty. If Burke had known they were coming back then Schnieder and Bertuzzi are likely not signed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ritz10hock said:

Andy McDonald was a cap casualty, but hard to reference that and not talk about all the players the Blackhawks have had to let go for the same reasons. If the cap didn't force Chicago to deal Byfuglien, Ladd and Versteeg, they could've easily won the Cup again in 2011. 

 

Or you could look at it the other way around. Give the Blackhawks a 44 million dollar cap and winning one championship would be considered a miracle. Besides, McDonald meant far more to the Ducks than any of the guys Chicago had to move. They didn't recover from that trade until they brought in Kesler all those years later. Credit to the Blackhawks for managing the situation better than we did but it's not really a fair comparison. 

And just cause I like being snarky, 2007 Pahlsson would intangible the crap outta 2010 Toews :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Or you could look at it the other way around. Give the Blackhawks a 44 million dollar cap and winning one championship would be considered a miracle. Besides, McDonald meant far more to the Ducks than any of the guys Chicago had to move. They didn't recover from that trade until they brought in Kesler all those years later. Credit to the Blackhawks for managing the situation better than we did but it's not really a fair comparison. 

And just cause I like being snarky, 2007 Pahlsson would intangible the crap outta 2010 Toews :ph34r:

Truth and chirp, preach!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

Or you could look at it the other way around. Give the Blackhawks a 44 million dollar cap and winning one championship would be considered a miracle. Besides, McDonald meant far more to the Ducks than any of the guys Chicago had to move. They didn't recover from that trade until they brought in Kesler all those years later. Credit to the Blackhawks for managing the situation better than we did but it's not really a fair comparison. 

And just cause I like being snarky, 2007 Pahlsson would intangible the crap outta 2010 Toews :ph34r:

Hang on, you're talking about a top 100 all time player here! (There's no emoticon for the combination of sarcasm and side-splitting laughter going on here, so I'll just choose a random one...) :happy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poum said:

Andy was a Niedermayer/Selanne retirement dance casualty. If Burke had known they were coming back then Schnieder and Bertuzzi are likely not signed. 

Very true. Easy to say in hindsight, but Burke should've avoided signing Schneider and Bertuzzi regardless of the Niedermayer/Selanne situation. 

1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

Or you could look at it the other way around. Give the Blackhawks a 44 million dollar cap and winning one championship would be considered a miracle. Besides, McDonald meant far more to the Ducks than any of the guys Chicago had to move. They didn't recover from that trade until they brought in Kesler all those years later. Credit to the Blackhawks for managing the situation better than we did but it's not really a fair comparison. 

And just cause I like being snarky, 2007 Pahlsson would intangible the crap outta 2010 Toews :ph34r:

The cap is all relative though, right? Sure, the Ducks had a lower salary cap to deal with, but every player was making far less because of the rolled back salaries following the lockout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got around to watching the DVD again last night. It seems so long ago now. All the old jerseys look so crappy. Lol.

Also watched this which is always worth a share if you need a cry:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, nieder said:

Finally got around to watching the DVD again last night. It seems so long ago now. All the old jerseys look so crappy. Lol.

Also watched this which is always worth a share if you need a cry:

 

Still one of the best moments in team history, those two legends together one more time.

Thanks Nieds, I needed a happy cry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2017 at 4:19 PM, poum said:

May! 

His "Who the [expletive deleted] are you?!" still gets me. And when he met the Govenator. What a character.

Speaking of! I just read Brian Savage said May was the worst roommate. Savage snored so May would be throwing pillows at him all night. 

+1 May!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Ilya Bryzgalov

 

Scott Niedermayer

Chris Pronger

Francois Beauchemin

Sean O'Donnell

Kent Huskins

Joe Dipenta

 

Teemu Selänne

Andy MacDonald

Chris Kunitz

Dustin Penner

Ryan Getzlaf

Corey Perry

 

Rob Niedermayer

Todd Marchant

Samuel Påhlsson

Travis Moen

Brad May

 

George Parros

Shawn Thornton

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At 35 and 36 in 05-06 through 06-07 season,the Flash was one of the best players in the world.

05-06: in 96 games Teemu scored 46 goals and added 56 assists,totalling of 104 points, plus and minus +28

06-07: in 103 games Teemu scored 53 goals and added 56 assists,totalling of 109 points, plus and minus +27

 

I'd wanna see Ovechkin do the same...not a chance!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...