The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nieder

SSH Day

Did anybody attend this over the weekend? I'm hearing a few things came out of the day from Murray through various sources, but I wasn't there myself so can't confirm, but am hearing the following:

1) Cam's extension is all but signed, they just have finalize how the money is spread over the length of it, as Cam wants more up front than Murray wants to pay.
2) Murray basically said if Anaheim loses a significant piece like Silf, Manson or Cogs in the ED then he should be fired.

3) Steel and Jones won't start next season in Anaheim, they want to take their time with both as they're great prospects.

4) Perry played the year with a sprained MCL that was basically close to tearing the whole time, the treatment is rest and he should be ready to go at full fitness at training camp.

5) Vats injury is really bad, he's expected to miss the first half of the season.

6) Gibson had a groin strain and Murray said some negative things about his attitude and work ethic, which seems to back up the rumors going around about Gibby.

That's all I've got for now. Anything else?

17 minutes ago, nieder said:

Did anybody attend this over the weekend? I'm hearing a few things came out of the day from Murray through various sources, but I wasn't there myself so can't confirm, but am hearing the following:

1) Cam's extension is all but signed, they just have finalize how the money is spread over the length of it, as Cam wants more up front than Murray wants to pay.
2) Murray basically said if Anaheim loses a significant piece like Silf, Manson or Cogs in the ED then he should be fired.

3) Steel and Jones won't start next season in Anaheim, they want to take their time with both as they're great prospects.

4) Perry played the year with a sprained MCL that was basically close to tearing the whole time, the treatment is rest and he should be ready to go at full fitness at training camp.

5) Vats injury is really bad, he's expected to miss the first half of the season.

6) Gibson had a groin strain and Murray said some negative things about his attitude and work ethic, which seems to back up the rumors going around about Gibby.

What...what's this now? What are the Gibby rumors??

That all sounds pretty promising except the Vats and Gibson thing.

6 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

What...what's this now? What are the Gibby rumors??

That all sounds pretty promising except the Vats and Gibson thing.

There were some things going around during the playoffs after the Gibby interviews where he was really short with the reporters. Basically that he isn't a hard worker and doesn't feel he should have to put in a lot of work, which could be contributing to his groin issues. Essentially the rumor is that his attitude is that he's above everything, including working too hard.

6 minutes ago, nieder said:

There were some things going around during the playoffs after the Gibby interviews where he was really short with the reporters. Basically that he isn't a hard worker and doesn't feel he should have to put in a lot of work, which could be contributing to his groin issues. Essentially the rumor is that his attitude is that he's above everything, including working too hard.

Ohh I see....yeah I could see that...and that's 'causing his groin issues? Man...he's young though...you'd hope a loss like this would sting enough for him to get over that...but...he technically wasn't in net for the last 2 losses...sooooo... :\

If Vats shoulder was bad enough that he could miss the first half of the season....then hats off to him for coming back to play that final series for us.  I expressed some doubt that we could get by Edmonton during that series as the injuries just seemed to piling up.  Again, hats off to the boys for pulling that off.

Lastly...if Vats is really out for that long then he would be un-tradeable.  Can a player with that injury still be exposed in the expansion draft?

1 minute ago, WolfgangDuck said:

If Vats shoulder was bad enough that he could miss the first half of the season....then hats off to him for coming back to play that final series for us.  I expressed some doubt that we could get by Edmonton during that series as the injuries just seemed to piling up.  Again, hats off to the boys for pulling that off.

Lastly...if Vats is really out for that long then he would be un-tradeable.  Can a player with that injury still be exposed in the expansion draft?

I believe so. There's no LTIR in the off-season, so even Despres is technically on the roster. I do wonder though, are the picks contingent on players passing a physical, like in trade situations? What if it turns out one of the players they drafted has a serious injury.

Not surprising on Gibson.  Glad Murray called him out.  He is only going to suffer more injuries if he doesn't address this shortcoming and put in the work.  He's no help if he can't play due to injury.

PS:  IMO, they traded the wrong goalie.

7 minutes ago, nieder said:

I believe so. There's no LTIR in the off-season, so even Despres is technically on the roster. I do wonder though, are the picks contingent on players passing a physical, like in trade situations? What if it turns out one of the players they drafted has a serious injury.

Despres was actually taken off injured reserve on April 23rd. He's eligible for a buyout, the ED, or a trade. 

I also doubt that the players are required to pass a physical to be drafted. Even traded players don't have to be healthy (see the Clarkson-Horton trade). You just can't misrepresent the health of a player during a trade. I would assume it's similar for the ED.

Just now, dtsdlaw said:

Despres was actually taken off injured reserve on April 23rd. He's eligible for a buyout, the ED, or a trade. 

I also doubt that the players are required to pass a physical to be drafted. Even traded players don't have to be healthy (see the Clarkson-Horton trade). You just can't misrepresent the health of a player during a trade. I would assume it's similar for the ED.

Makes sense.

On 6/12/2017 at 9:27 AM, Jasoaks said:

Ohh I see....yeah I could see that...and that's 'causing his groin issues? Man...he's young though...you'd hope a loss like this would sting enough for him to get over that...but...he technically wasn't in net for the last 2 losses...sooooo... :\

He wasn't great either and let a couple of softies in resulting in 1 maybe 2 games. 

On 6/12/2017 at 8:49 AM, nieder said:

#4 is ridiculous. He played poor during the season so why didn't they just sit him down to recover if all he needed was rest??? He wasn't good so there wouldn't have been a loss to not play him. Something fishy with this? 

On 6/12/2017 at 8:49 AM, nieder said:

There was some news on Kesler and Lindholm, I posted in the injury thread.

This is some good additional info, though, thanks.  

4) is interesting, but I'm a bit suspicious (as are others above).
5) based on what I saw of Lind, I'm still hoping Vats is ok, and that the comment was more about trade issues before the ED.
6) huh.  well, as someone who also doesn't really exude a lot of external energy, but still gets stuff done at a high skill level, i hope this is just a misread and the GM wanting to get a bee under his bonnet (Gibson did seem to need that bee to switch on in December, from milquetoast performance before then).  seeing how Getz basically turned "on" all season long, as a GM, I'd be wanting the same from EVERYONE.  imagine if we had a team all going Getzmode all season long, and not just Getz, Cogs, Kesler, and a few others. 

How come we didn't hear about perry's injury at the exit interviews? We heard about everyone else. 

When did he get hurt? In the preseason? Because he sucked all year. 

1 hour ago, Jiggy2win said:

How come we didn't hear about perry's injury at the exit interviews? We heard about everyone else. 

When did he get hurt? In the preseason? Because he sucked all year. 

We didn't hear about Kesler's either?

If I recall correctly there was a tweet during the playoffs by some NHL level goaltending coach who made the comment about Gibson. Something to the effect that he is not as committed as he needs to be to advance his game, does not take somethings seriously and that (that) person would not want to work with him because of his attitude (as if until his attitude changes coaching him will reap limited rewards). Much inferred. Again do not quote me on the specifics but I know it was from an external third party public comment. Some say his lack of wanting to adjust what he is doing to help avoid injuries could be a long term issue with him (not being interested in doing it this way v. that way or trying this v. that kind of thing)......

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:50 AM, Fowl said:

Not surprising on Gibson.  Glad Murray called him out.  He is only going to suffer more injuries if he doesn't address this shortcoming and put in the work.  He's no help if he can't play due to injury.

PS:  IMO, they traded the wrong goalie.

They didn't trade the wrong goalie. They couldn't afford to keep Anderson without losing at least one of Rackell or Lindholm.

If Gibson won't work hard enough to stay healthy, then he'll be replaced before his RFA is done with ( if this is the truth of the situation, he'd still have plenty of trade value, to any GM/Coach/Organization that thinks he can be put back on track).  That doesn't change the salary cap realities of last offseason.

Nothing personal, but I'm going to take this with a grain of salt.

There was one fan who posted notes on twitter from the event. Didn't have any of the Gibson stuff, but she may have just missed it.

It would be unusual for a GM to be that frank about a player he's hitched his wagon to.

11 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

They didn't trade the wrong goalie. They couldn't afford to keep Anderson without losing at least one of Rackell or Lindholm.

If Gibson won't work hard enough to stay healthy, then he'll be replaced before his RFA is done with ( if this is the truth of the situation, he'd still have plenty of trade value, to any GM/Coach/Organization that thinks he can be put back on track).  That doesn't change the salary cap realities of last offseason.

Absolutely this.  They simply couldn't afford Andersen, as much as we all liked him.

7 hours ago, BestOfTheWest said:

Nothing personal, but I'm going to take this with a grain of salt.

There was one fan who posted notes on twitter from the event. Didn't have any of the Gibson stuff, but she may have just missed it.

It would be unusual for a GM to be that frank about a player he's hitched his wagon to.

Bob said different things at different meetings with the season ticket holders.  I think there were 4 different meet times on Sunday.

On 6/16/2017 at 2:52 PM, Fisix said:

Bob said different things at different meetings with the season ticket holders.  I think there were 4 different meet times on Sunday.

Ah, thank you for clarifying. That is certainly curious.

Hard to fault Murray too much for keeping the younger, cheaper goalie who had performed well in limited action. Freddie had his mental lapses in the playoffs, too, most notably vs. Chicago (those soft, stick side goals were just brutal).

Freddie had a rough start in Toronto but played very well in the playoffs. Gibson was brilliant for stretches during the regular season, and pretty average for most of the playoffs. I'm sure this will be debated for a while.

On 6/12/2017 at 9:13 AM, nieder said:

That's an easy fix. Have Gibson live with one Cogliano for a summer. Let the humblest of ironmen show the youngling how it's done through proper nutrition and training.  

9 hours ago, poum said:

That's an easy fix. Have Gibson live with one Cogliano for a summer. Let the humblest of ironmen show the youngling how it's done through proper nutrition and training.  

I'd rather him stay with Getzy, his groin conditioning is off the charts. I'm not into advanced stats, but his underlying child/60 production rates are the best in the league.

2 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I'd rather him stay with Getzy, his groin conditioning is off the charts. I'm not into advanced stats, but his underlying child/60 production rates are the best in the league.

This is true. The baby-making did work for Lovejoy.