The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DuckFan4Life

Despres Being Bought Out

Too bad he didn't work out. I am making the assumption here that this means his career is over. If he had any hope of playing again the Ducks would have traded him at the very least for some sort of compensation. I hate seeing such a promising player's career end like this.

Pierre LeBrunVerified account @PierreVLeBrun

Pierre LeBrun Retweeted Eric Stephens

Despres had four more years on his contract at $3.7 million a year. This will help open up more room for Fowler's expected extension...

Darren Dreger‏Verified account @DarrenDreger

Darren Dreger Retweeted Pierre LeBrun

Yes and talks are progressing well on Fowler extension.

Unless I'm missing something in the nuance of the CBA (and I usually am), this means that he's not going to Vegas.  So...Stoner?

Just now, gorbachav5 said:

Unless I'm missing something in the nuance of the CBA (and I usually am), this means that he's not going to Vegas.  So...Stoner?

My guess is Stoner and Theo. They're not going to just take Stoner and not touch Manson or Silfverberg. There has to be something more.

Just now, DuckFan4Life said:

My guess is Stoner and Theo. They're not going to just take Stoner and not touch Manson or Silfverberg. There has to be something more.

Oh, of course.  I was hoping it would be a second round pick (or two).  Or maybe a 2nd rounder and a decent but not top prospect (Petersson?  Mahura?).

Still the best partner Fowler has ever had. Has there been any updates on his health? I know he was taken off LTIR during the playoffs but I just figured that was a business move. Either way, I hope he feels better now.

Best of luck to Despres. It's a darn shame it all had to come to this. He could have been a real force for us for a long time if not for some really dirty hits by Barrie and Landeskog. And while I still think his terrible play was one of the biggest contributors to our loss to Nashville in 2016, in hindsight he never should have seen the ice that series at all, so all the blame for that goes to BM, Boudreau, Yawney, and the medical staff for letting him play IMO.

You always hope first for a guy's health, but assuming he is healthy now, I really hope he gets another chance to continue his NHL dream somewhere else (just not LA!).

I guess he can't be injured anymore. Otherwise we couldn't buy him out. But it's probably better for him to call it a career. What a shame. Good young player. Wish him all the best

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

If we have to choose between losing Manson, Vats and Theo, I'm giving up Theo every time. So I don't mind if this happens. 

1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

Still the best partner Fowler has ever had. Has there been any updates on his health? I know he was taken off LTIR during the playoffs but I just figured that was a business move. Either way, I hope he feels better now.

Absolutely!

Hard to be too happy about this despite the cap savings.
Concussions really need to be taken more seriously by the league and the head shots need to be taken out of the game PERIOD!

2 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I'll be flipping tables if this happens. The team is willing to buy out 4 more years of Despres, but would turn and dump Theo to Vegas just to relieve us of ONE year of Stoner's 3.25 mil? 

Murray had/has the option to trade Vats and waive/buyout Bieksa to keep everyone protected and leave Vegas scraps to choose from. If he has a deal worked out, it can't amount to losing more than that just to keep Vats beyond the ED, the rewards of doing so just don't outweigh the value of Theodore. 

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

If the Ducks are giving Vegas Theodore just because they don't want to buy out Bieksa, I'm going to be very unhappy with BM. 

1 hour ago, nieder said:

If we have to choose between losing Manson, Vats and Theo, I'm giving up Theo every time. So I don't mind if this happens. 

The writing is on the wall with Vatanen. He's a nice player, but the Ducks have too many top prospects on defense and Vatanen's production doesn't match what he's being paid. 

Ducks are in a position where they don't have to lose any of these guys for nothing. It shouldn't be a matter of Theodore being expendable. Amazing to me how down some folks are on this kid. He's 21 years old. 

18 minutes ago, ritz10hock said:

The writing is on the wall with Vatanen. He's a nice player, but the Ducks have too many top prospects on defense and Vatanen's production doesn't match what he's being paid. 

Ducks are in a position where they don't have to lose any of these guys for nothing. It shouldn't be a matter of Theodore being expendable. Amazing to me how down some folks are on this kid. He's 21 years old. 

I mean, everyone is expendable. I don't especially want to lose him but to me if it's a choice between those 3 then it's an easy one.

I'm not sure I agree about Vats, it seems like the moves Murray is making (or is rumored to be making) are with the goal of keeping the current defensive group intact. He was also pretty badly injured by the sounds of things and played through it...maybe his production increases with health.

29 minutes ago, nieder said:

I mean, everyone is expendable. I don't especially want to lose him but to me if it's a choice between those 3 then it's an easy one.

I'm not sure I agree about Vats, it seems like the moves Murray is making (or is rumored to be making) are with the goal of keeping the current defensive group intact. He was also pretty badly injured by the sounds of things and played through it...maybe his production increases with health.

I don't think that's true. BM all but said one of the big three defenders is gone with his comments of wanting to create room for other players like Montour. Since Fowler is looking like he's going to resign, we all know which of the big three that leaves left.

1 hour ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I'll be flipping tables if this happens. The team is willing to buy out 4 more years of Despres, but would turn and dump Theo to Vegas just to relieve us of ONE year of Stoner's 3.25 mil? 

Murray had/has the option to trade Vats and waive/buyout Bieksa to keep everyone protected and leave Vegas scraps to choose from. If he has a deal worked out, it can't amount to losing more than that just to keep Vats beyond the ED, the rewards of doing so just don't outweigh the value of Theodore. 

Same. I have a hard time believing Vegas is going to do us a solid without something nice going the other way, but if the cost is Larsson, Theo, Jones, 1st, Steel im gonna be peeved.

Do we need to make more room? Right now we have Fowler-Lindholm-Manson-Vats-Montour-Bieksa as a top 6, with Stoner still there but he may get dumped somewhere and Theo (who we are assuming is going to Vegas). If that happens then who do we need to make room for? Larsson? If Vats is going to be injured for the first half of the season anyway, I'd try and keep him and give Larsson a look to start the year, if he's not NHL ready then we may still need Vats to take over.

Either that or we keep Theo and lose Vats. We can't possibly do both, right? Lol. It's getting interesting. 

13 minutes ago, nieder said:

Do we need to make more room? Right now we have Fowler-Lindholm-Manson-Vats-Montour-Bieksa as a top 6, with Stoner still there but he may get dumped somewhere and Theo (who we are assuming is going to Vegas). If that happens then who do we need to make room for? Larsson? If Vats is going to be injured for the first half of the season anyway, I'd try and keep him and give Larsson a look to start the year, if he's not NHL ready then we may still need Vats to take over.

Either that or we keep Theo and lose Vats. We can't possibly do both, right? Lol. It's getting interesting. 

I'm not assuming Theo is going to Vegas.

I am assuming Vatanen will not be a Duck come August.

Fowler - Manson

Lindhom - Montour

Theo/ Stoner - Bieksa

Holzer Larsson and Welinski ( Who is close to ready as well)

2 hours ago, ritz10hock said:

If the Ducks are giving Vegas Theodore just because they don't want to buy out Bieksa, I'm going to be very unhappy with BM. 

I don't think it was smart to buy out Bieksa. They would save a spot but get nothing in cap relief.

I think Vatanen gets moved and Vegas something we aren't willing to give up easily so the Ducks can keep Silfverberg. With Vatanen traded, that keeps the D intact. But BM still needs to do something to protect Silfver.

8 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I don't think it was smart to buy out Bieksa. They would save a spot but get nothing in cap relief.

Bieska also got bought out?? I haven't read this yet. Link please

5 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I think Vatanen gets moved and Vegas something we aren't willing to give up easily so the Ducks can keep Silfverberg. With Vatanen traded, that keeps the D intact. But BM still needs to do something to protect Silfver.

That would be pretty upsetting if Murray decided to trade Vats pre-ED, but then failed to take the extra step to eliminate the need to protect Bieksa, with no better plan in place than to trade a high value asset like Theodore or similar just because he left one of Manson/Fowler/Rakell/Silfver/Raks/Cogs needlessly exposed.

19 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Bieska also got bought out?? I haven't read this yet. Link please

No, I was responding to a mention of why didn't BM buy out Bieksa.

15 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

That would be pretty upsetting if Murray decided to trade Vats pre-ED, but then failed to take the extra step to eliminate the need to protect Bieksa, with no better plan in place than to trade a high value asset like Theodore or similar just because he left one of Manson/Fowler/Rakell/Silfver/Raks/Cogs needlessly exposed.

We all agree that Bieksa is a thorn but for whatever reason, RC loves him and BM isn't willing to move him.

My first theory is that Murray is leaving Vatanen exposed on purpose so that Vegas take him and use that money to sign Fowler and possibly give us tagging room to sign another prospect or UFA (Eaves)? Several NHL sources are reporting that Eaves and Murray are negotiating but nothing can be signed until after the expansion draft.

Just now, Kanauhtli said:

My first theory is that Murray is leaving Vatanen exposed on purpose so that Vegas take him and use that money to sign Fowler and possibly give us tagging room to sign another prospect or UFA (Eaves)? Several NHL sources are reporting that Eaves and Murray are negotiating but nothing can be signed until after the expansion draft.

Despres was bought out to sign Fowler. I don't think BM leaves Vatanen exposed and loses him for nothing when it's been reported that there are at least 6 teams asking about him. I would love for the Ducks to sign Eaves. The Ducks may have to choose between Eaves and Thompson.