The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DuckFan4Life

Despres Being Bought Out

28 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

We all agree that Bieksa is a thorn but for whatever reason, RC loves him and BM isn't willing to move him.

I don't think it's that Murray isn't willing to move him, supposedly he's saying that he simply doesn't need to because of this "deal" he has lined up with Vegas.

I guess we'll know soon enough, but I can't see Murray moving anyone of value for ED protection or a minor cap dump (Stoner) at this point. Despres was my bet as he was the only one with the kind of term/$$ left to make it worth it, but... so much for that.

On a side note, I had it in my head that 35 was the age that separated buyouts from 1/3 cost to 2/3. Didn't realize it was 25, which Despres only remains for another month. Despite my earlier assertions, this was a great way for the team to go, and fortunate timing, whether manufactured or not.  Now, as for why Despres agreed to leave 10+ million in the dust, no clue. Doesn't add up to me. Maybe it gets challenged by the PA, maybe there's another layer to this, wish there was more info to explain how the team was able to do this and why SD agreed to walk away from so much money. He did hide the extent of his condition to team doctors before his last concussion hit, so maybe that gave the Ducks some leverage(?).

Eric Stephens‏Verified account @icemancometh  46s46 seconds ago

From Ducks GM Bob Murray on Despres buyout: “Simon Despres is a good hockey player and a good person. But, at this point in time (1/2)

(more) we feel it is in the best interests of both Simon and the organization to part ways. We wish him the very best in the future.” (2/2)

This thread is going bonkers.

Vats is staying.  Theo and Stoner to LV is absolutely spectacular, if we lose no-one else or any picks to LV, considering the mountains of d-man meat we have coming up the chain.  Keeping Vats and the d-machine intact is worth losing Theo's upside. Stoner didn't participate this season, so he's not part of the machine, in my view.

Gotta wonder how long Vats was carrying his injury, because it would certainly cut his scoring.  He's a cheap, but excellent, d-man, when on form.  I think it's silly to think this year is how his next two years are going to go.  Keeping him keeps a lot of options open, options that would not be available if we kept Theo and/or Stoner instead.

Perspective, people!

7 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I don't think it's that Murray isn't willing to move him, supposedly he's saying that he simply doesn't need to because of this "deal" he has lined up with Vegas.

I guess we'll know soon enough, but I can't see Murray moving anyone of value for ED protection or a minor cap dump (Stoner) at this point. Despres was my bet as he was the only one with the kind of term/$$ left to make it worth it, but... so much for that.

On a side note, I had it in my head that 35 was the age that separated buyouts from 1/3 cost to 2/3. Didn't realize it was 25, which Despres only remains for another month. Despite my earlier assertions, this was a great way for the team to go, and fortunate timing, whether manufactured or not.  Now, as for why Despres agreed to leave 10+ million in the dust, no clue. Doesn't add up to me. Maybe it gets challenged by the PA, maybe there's another layer to this, wish there was more info to explain how the team was able to do this and why SD agreed to walk away from so much money. He did hide the extent of his condition to team doctors before his last concussion hit, so maybe that gave the Ducks some leverage(?).

Despres didn't have to agree to the buyout did he? I thought the team could just do it (if he's not on IR).

1 minute ago, Fisix said:

Vats is staying.  Theo and Stoner to LV is absolutely spectacular, if we lose no-one else or any picks to LV, considering the mountains of d-man meat we have coming up the chain.  Keeping Vats and the d-machine intact is worth losing Theo's upside. Stoner didn't participate this season, so he's not part of the machine, in my view.

Gotta wonder how long Vats was carrying his injury, because it would certainly cut his scoring.  He's a cheap, but excellent, d-man, when on form.  I think it's silly to think this year is how his next two years are going to go.  Keeping him keeps a lot of options open, options that would not be available if we kept Theo and/or Stoner instead.

Perspective, people!

+1, I'm right there with you.

Silf isn't going anywhere either.

38 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

No, I was responding to a mention of why didn't BM buy out Bieksa.

Ah. I misread your post. 

2 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Despres was bought out to sign Fowler. I don't think BM leaves Vatanen exposed and loses him for nothing when it's been reported that there are at least 6 teams asking about him. I would love for the Ducks to sign Eaves. The Ducks may have to choose between Eaves and Thompson.

I don't think I can trust that rumor anymore. Last time it sounded the same, 6 teams interested but nothing got done. One of the teams was TB and they traded the only asset that Anaheim had any interest in. Plus the offers that have been suggested are players that would be exposed also. If I had to choose between Eaves and Thompson, it's Eaves all the way. Thompson is replaceable and since the last playoffs you can see Wagner ready to take some of those 4th line minutes from Thompson.

4 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Eric Stephens‏Verified account @icemancometh  46s46 seconds ago

From Ducks GM Bob Murray on Despres buyout: “Simon Despres is a good hockey player and a good person. But, at this point in time (1/2)

(more) we feel it is in the best interests of both Simon and the organization to part ways. We wish him the very best in the future.” (2/2)

Despres took a huge pay cut by 1) getting healthy, and 2) doing it in April (rather than August).  He's done us/the Ducks a huge favor.  I wish his prior team and/or the league split the cost (to him, or to us), especially if he retires, but it is what it is, and he's made the choice that benefits the Ducks.   It basically has been his own decision to get healthy enough to be taken off the injured list, and while I don't really understand why he'd willingly allow himself to be cut off from double (or triple) the payout he's getting now, I can still be grateful and appreciative.  

8 minutes ago, nieder said:

Despres didn't have to agree to the buyout did he? I thought the team could just do it (if he's not on IR).

Nope.  By getting healthy, he could be bought out at the discretion of the team.

5 minutes ago, Kanauhtli said:

I don't think I can trust that rumor anymore. Last time it sounded the same, 6 teams interested but nothing got done. One of the teams was TB and they traded the only asset that Anaheim had any interest in. Plus the offers that have been suggested are players that would be exposed also. If I had to choose between Eaves and Thompson, it's Eaves all the way. Thompson is replaceable and since the last playoffs you can see Wagner ready to take some of those 4th line minutes from Thompson.

I still think Vatanen is moveable. I'm not so sure BM wants to move him for a $5.5m player (Drouin). BM would be taking on salary. Nor does he want another player he would have to protect. I think it's more likely that Vats gets traded for picks/prospects. 

7 minutes ago, Kanauhtli said:

Poor Thompson, first he loses his celebrity girlfriend, and now your love too!  

Seriously, though, if we had to make that decision, I'd make the same one.  I hope we keep both, cheaply.  Didn't hear anything about recovery or injuries for either, this post season.  Slightly scary.

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I don't think it was smart to buy out Bieksa. They would save a spot but get nothing in cap relief.

Right now that spot is more important than cap relief, especially since the cap is going to increase by a few million. 

Just now, DuckFan4Life said:

I still think Vatanen is moveable. I'm not so sure BM wants to move him for a $5.5m player (Drouin). BM would be taking on salary. Nor does he want another player he would have to protect. I think it's more likely that Vats gets traded for picks/prospects. 

I hope so too, problem is that there is no team that can protect Vatanen after the trade. I hope we hear about a trade coming soon because Anaheim is just going to lose a lot more if we trade a prospect like Theo over a player like Vatanen. I see more potential in Theo even though he had a bad playoff experience. Montour is really coming to his own and would love to see him develop even further.

18 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Perspective, people!

Nah, this is just more what-have-you-done-for-me-lately thinking. Theodore was the hottest thing last season, and people were quick to toss Montour around as a sidepiece to mediocre trades. Now, Theo has an up and down season, and everyone is high on Montour and fine with tossing in Theo just to get rid of Stoner (who's in the final year of his contract). Perspective indeed.

29 minutes ago, nieder said:

Was he healthy? Wasn't clear on that. 

6 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Not sure about "healthy" but he was skating. I guess that was enough to take him off IR.

Simon Despres‏Verified account @Despres747  13m13 minutes ago

I'd like to thank the @AnaheimDucks for a wonderful 2 and a half years. I wish my teammates all the best moving forward #withoutwax

13 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Nah, this is just more what-have-you-done-for-me-lately thinking. Theodore was the hottest thing last season, and people were quick to toss Montour around as a sidepiece to mediocre trades. Now, Theo has an up and down season, and everyone is high on Montour and fine with tossing in Theo just to get rid of Stoner (who's in the final year of his contract). Perspective indeed.

We wouldn't giving up Theo just to get rid of Stoner though. It would also be in exchange for Vegas not taking Vats. We were always going to lose one of our young defensemen either by trade or draft. I'd rather it be Theo, not because he had a poor season, but because Manson has taken huge steps forward and Vats will likely bounce back after getting healthy. I just think both guys are more valuable than Theo. The only reason I'd take Theo over Vats is money. 

12 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

He was taken off IR and rumour is he's targeting a return this fall. I think he's healthy enough to give it another shot. 

12 minutes ago, nieder said:

We wouldn't giving up Theo just to get rid of Stoner though. It would also be in exchange for Vegas not taking Vats. We were always going to lose one of our young defensemen either by trade or draft. I'd rather it be Theo, not because he had a poor season, but because Manson has taken huge steps forward and Vats will likely bounce back after getting healthy. I just think both guys are more valuable than Theo. The only reason I'd take Theo over Vats is money. 

I honestly don't get this logic. Murray has full control of the situation, there's zero reason to lose Theodore or anyone of worth for that matter. 

1. Trade Vats.

2. Slap Bieksa. If he doesn't waive, buy him out (didn't happen).

3. Profit... enjoy Vegas, Vermette.

Murray decided that he didn't need to do any of that, so why would his next move be to add Theo to Stoner and protect Bieksa???

Murray: "You can never have too many defensemen." Then in one summer, sheds: Despres (apparently healthy), Stoner, Theodore, and Vatanen. Let's say Montour and his tiny sample size stumbles a bit, and Larsson isn't ready yet, then what? Bieksa, Megna, or Welinski on he top 4?

I literally never predict anything Murray does correctly, so at this point I'm booking it, Theo+Stoner= Vegas. :lol:

17 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Not sure about "healthy" but he was skating. I guess that was enough to take him off IR.

I figured he might be working towards being fully cleared, didn't think he was so soon though. That's what made me think this could be challenged, but I'll move on. It's done and I assume it's all above board, wouldn't be like this team to do otherwise.

6 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I honestly don't get this logic. Murray has full control of the situation, there's zero reason to lose Theodore or anyone of worth for that matter. 

1. Trade Vats.

2. Slap Bieksa. If he doesn't waive, buy him out.

3. Profit... enjoy Vegas, Vermette.

If Bieksa were bought out and Vats traded we wouldn't have any defensemen to expose in the draft.

I know it would be better to get something back in a trade but I guess Murray is banking on signing Eaves to shore up the offense. Which isn't really going to cut it even though I would like to see Eaves back.

3 minutes ago, nieder said:

If Bieksa were bought out and Vats traded we wouldn't have any defensemen to expose in the draft.

I know it would be better to get something back in a trade but I guess Murray is banking on signing Eaves to shore up the offense. Which isn't really going to cut it even though I would like to see Eaves back.

Got ahead of myself, you're right, that was the point of Bieksa waiving. So he waives, and we're fine. If the team didn't formally ask him to, which by all accounts they didn't, then I stand by my point that Murray wouldn't have cooked up an alternative that costs us Theo. 

Again, I'm ready to be wrong, IKEA caravan on standby.

I have to believe that LVGK traded for a non-draft eligible player. Hopefully a first or second round 2018 draft pick back. Stoner is fine as a 7th blue liner with only one year left.

I'd rather hear that Bieksa waived his NMC to be moved with a non-draft eligible player in exchange for their not drafting one of our defensemen. 

3 hours ago, nieder said:

Exactly. That was the whole point of Vats getting traded to upgrade on offense with a young forward with a similar contract. Keeping Vats means we are going to roll in with the same team again hoping for better results

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

Exactly. That was the whole point of Vats getting traded to upgrade on offense with a young forward with a similar contract. Keeping Vats means we are going to roll in with the same team again hoping for better results

I do not think that Murray can trade Vatanen right now and get a good return. Every team knows about the Ducks plethora of defenseman and possible issues with the expansion draft. As such they are probably low-balling Murray or take for example Calgary who cannot trade for a D-man and protect the players they want. So the logical move is to swing a deal with Las Vegas to keep major assets until Murray can get the best deal, which in my opinion will be after the expansion draft. 

Or I could be completely wrong. But it should be interesting. 

1 hour ago, SelanneFTW_30 said:

I do not think that Murray can trade Vatanen right now and get a good return. Every team knows about the Ducks plethora of defenseman and possible issues with the expansion draft. As such they are probably low-balling Murray or take for example Calgary who cannot trade for a D-man and protect the players they want. So the logical move is to swing a deal with Las Vegas to keep major assets until Murray can get the best deal, which in my opinion will be after the expansion draft. 

Or I could be completely wrong. But it should be interesting. 

I'd wager it's the opposite. Quality defenseman don't grow on trees. Teams like Toronto, Tampa, Buffalo, etc. that are D needy will probably overpay for one. 

depres could of been a very good player and a great trade for murray if it 

wasn't for those concussions.   the ducks probably overpaid

him in his last contract.  however,  the  fact that they offered  that much 

money AND over four years to someone that young tells one how much

they really liked his play and projected his upside.

8 minutes ago, niltes said:

depres could of been a very good player and a great trade for murray if it 

wasn't for those concussions.   the ducks probably overpaid

him in his last contract.  however,  the  fact that they offered  that much 

money AND over four years to someone that young tells one how much

they really liked his play and projected his upside.

Murray had been eye balling Despres since his draft, if I recall. Made a few calls to Pittsburgh asking about Despres availability. He found his chance and made the trade. The contract was a bit premature. Throwing that much money and term for less than half a season of play. But then again, we couldn't have seen multiple Avalanches falling on his head. 

Best of luck Despres! 

i feel bad for depres and the ducks,  but lucky for simon that he signed a long term

contract BEFORE his injuries.  his agent is to be commended.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/16/ducks-shed-contract-of-defenseman-simon-despres-by-buying-him-out/

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the workings of an agreement with the NHL players’ union to the Southern California News Group.

“There have been a number of unique aspects related to Mr. Despres’ situation and we and the Players’ Association have worked together to help define the appropriate collectively bargained rules that can be applied to his contract,” Daly wrote in an e-mail. “We now have a conceptual agreement on treatment and we are in the process of documenting that resolution.”

The union has apparently signed off on it, with NHLPA spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon saying, “The NHLPA is engaged in settlement discussions with the NHL regarding Simon Despres contract and the parties hope to have this matter resolved soon.”