The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DuckFan4Life

Despres Being Bought Out

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/16/ducks-shed-contract-of-defenseman-simon-despres-by-buying-him-out/

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the workings of an agreement with the NHL players’ union to the Southern California News Group.

“There have been a number of unique aspects related to Mr. Despres’ situation and we and the Players’ Association have worked together to help define the appropriate collectively bargained rules that can be applied to his contract,” Daly wrote in an e-mail. “We now have a conceptual agreement on treatment and we are in the process of documenting that resolution.”

The union has apparently signed off on it, with NHLPA spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon saying, “The NHLPA is engaged in settlement discussions with the NHL regarding Simon Despres contract and the parties hope to have this matter resolved soon.”

I hope the NHL suffers some consequence for not even reviewing the hits that led to the concussion. Let the then disciplinary board face some consequences for being partial.

27 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

I hope the NHL suffers some consequence for not even reviewing the hits that led to the concussion. Let the then disciplinary board face some consequences for being partial.

Exactly. I found it interesting that it says, "The NHLPA is engaged in settlement discussions with the NHL regarding Simon Despres contract and the parties hope to have this matter resolved soon.”

They aren't involved in a settlement against the Ducks. I'm guessing that's why he was ok with being taken off IR to be bought out. He may be expecting a nice payout from the NHL. If that's the case, my guess is he won't ever play again.

That statement from Daly makes me think Despres isn't healthy after all. 

8 minutes ago, nieder said:

I don't think he'll ever play again. Maybe he was skating just so the Ducks could take him off IR.

21 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I don't think he'll ever play again. Maybe he was skating just so the Ducks could take him off IR.

Very tragic how it all played out for Depres. The NHL needs to take headshots more seriously in order to prevent this type of situation again. I'm sure Murray wanted to keep Depres but it would've prevented Depres from getting more in compensation. 

Just now, Kanauhtli said:

Very tragic how it all played out for Depres. The NHL needs to take headshots more seriously in order to prevent this type of situation again. I'm sure Murray wanted to keep Depres but it would've prevented Depres from getting more in compensation. 

The fact that Despres thanked the Ducks leads me to believe he has no ill feelings toward the organization. The NHL talks a good talk, but when it comes to enforcing the rules on the ice and fining/suspending a player, they are so inconsistent. It's all about who the offending player is and the team for which they play and who the injured player is and the team for which they play.

47 minutes ago, nieder said:

I wonder if there's some middle ground where Despres is deemed well enough to be clear of concussion symptoms, but not cleared to take the risk of contact again. Weird situation anyhow, glad to know Daly, Despres, and the Ducks all seem to be on the same page with this. I was a little concerned about some backlash from the PA, but now I expect nothing more than maybe a ghost-written The Players' Tribune article that I look forward to reading some day - lol. 

10 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I wonder if there's some middle ground where Despres is deemed well enough to be clear of concussion symptoms, but not cleared to take the risk of contact again. Weird situation anyhow, glad to know Daly, Despres, and the Ducks all seem to be on the same page with this. I was a little concerned about some backlash from the PA, but now I expect nothing more than maybe a ghost-written The Players' Tribune article that I look forward to reading some day - lol. 

I'm assuming this...that Despres has been medically cleared BUT does not want to return to the game for health reasons/concerns.

2 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

Barrie and Landeskog both got 3-game suspensions from the league. As much as I hate those two dirty hits, the DPS did their job in both instances.

Regarding the statement from the NHL and NHLPA, there are clearly additional facts that we don't know and possibly will never be made aware of. Might even be some personal issues for Despres either related or unrelated to the concussions. I don't want to engage in rumor mongering, but the CBA covers a lot of different topics related to contract enforceability, buyouts, etc, including substance abuse, PEDs, failure to report or abide by team rules/instructions, and on and on. It could be just a medical clearance issue, or it could be something more. But There's no use speculating without more facts brought to light, so I'm just going to wish him well and, like Austin, also look forward to his future Player's Tribune article.

Edit: it occurs to me that this could also just have to do with insurance coverages/payouts that have been collectively bargained for. The coverage for severe disability / career-ending injury coverage is hefty and I believe it kicks in when a player can't play for more than 12 months. But I also seem to recall there are pay-back provisions if the player accepts the pay outs and then later resumes his career. So insurance coverage could also definitely be an issue for settlement discussions.

22 minutes ago, ZTHER said:

I'm assuming this...that Despres has been medically cleared BUT does not want to return to the game for health reasons/concerns.

I'll bet he has SOME residual effects - headache after working out, some memory or co-ordination issues that hang around - causing him to be at a much higher risk for some permanent damage i.e. Paul Kariya like damage. Glad he took the buyout vs MAJOR post concussion issues. IMHO

Sorry you can't play anymore but I hope you have a good and healthy life - he'll be 26 next month !!

9 hours ago, niltes said:

depres could of been a very good player and a great trade for murray if it 

wasn't for those concussions.   the ducks probably overpaid

him in his last contract.  however,  the  fact that they offered  that much 

money AND over four years to someone that young tells one how much

they really liked his play and projected his upside.

yeah, like Bieksa.

anyway, does anyone know what #withoutwax means?

7 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/16/ducks-shed-contract-of-defenseman-simon-despres-by-buying-him-out/

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the workings of an agreement with the NHL players’ union to the Southern California News Group.

“There have been a number of unique aspects related to Mr. Despres’ situation and we and the Players’ Association have worked together to help define the appropriate collectively bargained rules that can be applied to his contract,” Daly wrote in an e-mail. “We now have a conceptual agreement on treatment and we are in the process of documenting that resolution.”

The union has apparently signed off on it, with NHLPA spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon saying, “The NHLPA is engaged in settlement discussions with the NHL regarding Simon Despres contract and the parties hope to have this matter resolved soon.”

Interesting.  Might turn out fair for everyone.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:33 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Barrie and Landeskog both got 3-game suspensions from the league. As much as I hate those two dirty hits, the DPS did their job in both instances.

Since you're remembering this better than I do...weren't there longer suspensions for comparable incidents. My recollection is that the hit that took Depres out was not punished with the same severity as other head hits of the time.

10 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

Since you're remembering this better than I do...weren't there longer suspensions for comparable incidents. My recollection is that the hit that took Depres out was not punished with the same severity as other head hits of the time.

In 2015, Raffi Torres got suspended for half a season (41 games) for a hit on Jackob Silfverberg. It's the longest suspension in NHL history. 

I'm not sure if Barrie or Landeskog have a history with the Department of Player Safety. However, in the case of Torres. I'm pretty sure everyone and their grandma was sick and tired of Torres and decided to not only throw the book at him but the entire frickin library.