Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZTHER

Eaves a Duck!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Spencer_12 said:

Not bad. I'm glad to have him back, though I hope he can still manage to have the same impact next year. This was far and away a career year for him. 3m for a 20 goal scorer with UFA rights would be decent. 

Cogliano makes 3m on his current contract. Eaves is worth it if he scores 20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really felt like Eaves would get a 2 year $8 million deal, so 3 years at a lower rate not bad.  Cogliano has one year left, so I assume he will be gone next year and we should be ok for next couple.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would have been awesome if Bob had announced the Eaves signing while Dallas was on the clock at #29.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric Stephens‏Verified account @icemancometh  4m4 minutes ago

Eaves said agent and Ducks had been talking for a while but made clear to him that he wanted to be a part of them going forward.

Eaves also said Bob Murray has a "great blueprint" going there with great young guys. Planning to move family out from Dallas area.

Also said a little part of him thought of testing the market but wasn't really interested in that. Wants to be part of leadership core.

 

Eaves said ankle is doing well and expects to be ready for start of 2017-18

 

.@Patrick_Eaves on signing: "I spoke to my agent, and told him this is where I wanted to be. My agent knew Anaheim meant something to me."

Added that three-year security "meant a lot". Wouldn't specify kind of clause but did say he has something for all three years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, liquid13 said:

A year too long. Not bad, not great. Still need a center.

I really like Eaves, but if this is the big offensive move, I'm going to be disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

We actually still have enough cap space to add a backup goalie and trade for David Perron....

:ph34r:

Is it  too late to sign bonino too.. Vats will be on ltir start of season potentially. Will bring us close to cap but man what a monster team up front and defensively the ducks would be a lot of two way players which is perfect for RC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I can't help but want bones! Imagine how much easier kesler's job would be throughout the season and in the playoffs. 

Frees up getzlaf, kesler, Perry and Eaves just by taking a harder match up once in awhile. Would help alleviate injuries. Man.. If I had a wish. Plus he'd help Ritchie and raks with their two way game. Three hard working scoring lines. And if Perron was an option would be freaking awesome. Special teams would be amazing. Wouldn't need a legitimate scorer and bonino, Eaves, Bieksa, Vermette and Perron contracts would all expire in time for another roster turnover of youth allowing BM to tag RFA's

 Have vats for one last season before having to sign fowler for an all in run this season. 

Ducks are champions in 2018 ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shocking911 said:

I really felt like Eaves would get a 2 year $8 million deal, so 3 years at a lower rate not bad.  Cogliano has one year left, so I assume he will be gone next year and we should be ok for next couple.  

I am very happy to see Eaves come back.  Let's hope he is not so injury prone over those 3 years.  That's his biggest liability, most of his seasons he has missed a large chunk due to injury.

Why do you assume Cogs is going to leave?  I certainly hope not.  God willing he stays healthy, and I think he's due to break the consecutive game streak in 2018-19.  I can't see him wanting to wear the Ducks jersey all these years, only to break that record in another jersey.  Nor do I think the Ducks would want to let that happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, liquid13 said:

A year too long. Not bad, not great. Still need a center.

He can just claim itchy uniform syndrome and sit out his last year on LTIR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I really like Eaves, but if this is the big offensive move, I'm going to be disappointed.

After Drouin was traded this is probably the best the Ducks can hope for this summer offensively aside from adding a few more depth players. But the summer is still young. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, liquid13 said:

A year too long. Not bad, not great. Still need a center.

 

6 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I really like Eaves, but if this is the big offensive move, I'm going to be disappointed.

Agree with both of these.  Two years at $3.1 million would have been fine ($2.5 million would have been better, but surely Eaves was going to get a better offer than that).  That extra year is going to hurt, I think.  But oh well.  If Eaves can play like he did on Getzlaf's wing, he'll be worth it for a season or two.  Hopefully he stays healthy...

If this is accompanied by a signing of a good third line center (Bonino, Thornton), I will be just fine with it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, liquid13 said:

A year too long. Not bad, not great. Still need a center.

BM and RC may still be committed to molding Rakell into a center. I think we'll see 15-17-67-50 down the middle this next season, and then if Raks still looks better as a winger then the "big trade" happens next summer. That also gives BM another season to evaluate the development of Monty and Larsson to decide what moves can be made without degrading our defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great signing. Great terms. Great player!

Eaves is one of those character guys you just don't find everyday. He brings a great presence to the ice that the guys around him feed off of. 

If he can have another season like he did the last one and avoid serious injury, then I say it's a pretty good deal overall -- do you know of any other 30 goal scorers that come for $3 mil?....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

 

 

If this is accompanied by a signing of a good third line center (Bonino, Thornton), I will be just fine with it.  

Unless we move Vatanen for a 2018 first rounder I don't see us having the cap space for either of those guys. With the Fowler extension ($1MM-$1.5MM increase) and a 1B backup goalie we will only have around $2MM in cap space.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I am very happy to see Eaves come back.  Let's hope he is not so injury prone over those 3 years.  That's his biggest liability, most of his seasons he has missed a large chunk due to injury.

Why do you assume Cogs is going to leave?  I certainly hope not.  God willing he stays healthy, and I think he's due to break the consecutive game streak in 2018-19.  I can't see him wanting to wear the Ducks jersey all these years, only to break that record in another jersey.  Nor do I think the Ducks would want to let that happen.

I think BM has put them in a tough situation with the "Big" three contracts.  If he adds Fowler to that list of big contracts at 6m, along with pay raises to Richie, Kasa, Montour, Manson in 2018 Cogs could and Bieksa (thankfully) will be a casualty unless Cogs goes super team friendly contract.  I think that is what makes this Eaves deal work and why unless Vat is traded we will probably be looking at a very similar team the next 3 years.  Right now we have about $6 mill in cap space and I'd imagine the Ducks won't be a cap team so not a lot of room for other players to be added that we'd be excited about.  I don't know who this years Vermette will be, but I imagine that Eaves is the big signing.  I think the Ducks have what it takes to continue being one of the best teams in league over this time as long as the youth develops with this core.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, rdm400 said:

Unless we move Vatanen for a 2018 first rounder I don't see us having the cap space for either of those guys. With the Fowler extension ($1MM-$1.5MM increase) and a 1B backup goalie we will only have around $2MM in cap space.  

Fowler still has another year left at $4M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One year too long. I like him though his injury history is a real concern other than the fact that he overachieved the goal mark last season. We prob got a 20 (ish) goal scorer for the term of the contract who also has a good chance to get injured for long durations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shocking911 said:

I think BM has put them in a tough situation with the "Big" three contracts.  If he adds Fowler to that list of big contracts at 6m, along with pay raises to Richie, Kasa, Montour, Manson in 2018 Cogs could and Bieksa (thankfully) will be a casualty unless Cogs goes super team friendly contract.  I think that is what makes this Eaves deal work and why unless Vat is traded we will probably be looking at a very similar team the next 3 years.  Right now we have about $6 mill in cap space and I'd imagine the Ducks won't be a cap team so not a lot of room for other players to be added that we'd be excited about.  I don't know who this years Vermette will be, but I imagine that Eaves is the big signing.  I think the Ducks have what it takes to continue being one of the best teams in league over this time as long as the youth develops with this core.

According to Capfriendly we currently have $6.4M in cap space, but that's with 15 forwards counting. We'll only carry 13 forwards to start the season, so you figure that whenever a forward is added then another's cap number is removed by sending a bottom-tier forward to San Diego (~$650K savings in our case). So adding a Thornton at, say, $5M means an add of ~$4.35M to our current cap number. That would still leave $2M for a back up goalie.

We also have two big salaries that will likely be eligible for LTIR to start the season in Kesler and Vatanen, so I see a ton of cap space to work with this coming season. 

As far as not being a cap team, Vegas just gave us $17M in exchange for Shea Theodore. Plus playoff revenue. Plus Rogers TV deal money. Plus MLB media deal money. Coming off a WCF appearance and with 10/15/17 entering their mid-30s soon, we should all be extremely ticked off if we don't spend to the cap this coming season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

According to Capfriendly we currently have $6.4M in cap space, but that's with 15 forwards counting. We'll only carry 13 forwards to start the season, so you figure that whenever a forward is added then another's cap number is removed by sending a bottom-tier forward to San Diego (~$650K savings in our case). So adding a Thornton at, say, $5M means an add of ~$4.35M to our current cap number. That would still leave $2M for a back up goalie.

We also have two big salaries that will likely be eligible for LTIR to start the season in Kesler and Vatanen, so I see a ton of cap space to work with this coming season. 

As far as not being a cap team, Vegas just gave us $17M in exchange for Shea Theodore. Plus playoff revenue. Plus Rogers TV deal money. Plus MLB media deal money. Coming off a WCF appearance and with 10/15/17 entering their mid-30s soon, we should all be extremely ticked off if we don't spend to the cap this coming season.

Just to piggyback a little bit, it's important folks remember the cap is increasing by the year. Ducks are in really good shape with salaries for the most part -- mainly because two of their best forwards combine to only make $7.5 million. Not saying BM should just go throw money around, but this is all smooth sailing compared to what he was facing a year ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

According to Capfriendly we currently have $6.4M in cap space, but that's with 15 forwards counting. We'll only carry 13 forwards to start the season, so you figure that whenever a forward is added then another's cap number is removed by sending a bottom-tier forward to San Diego (~$650K savings in our case). So adding a Thornton at, say, $5M means an add of ~$4.35M to our current cap number. That would still leave $2M for a back up goalie.

We also have two big salaries that will likely be eligible for LTIR to start the season in Kesler and Vatanen, so I see a ton of cap space to work with this coming season. 

As far as not being a cap team, Vegas just gave us $17M in exchange for Shea Theodore. Plus playoff revenue. Plus Rogers TV deal money. Plus MLB media deal money. Coming off a WCF appearance and with 10/15/17 entering their mid-30s soon, we should all be extremely ticked off if we don't spend to the cap this coming season.

This has always frustrated me about this team. I get the whole save money and small market etc etc but when there is a small window of opportunity I don't see why the team doesn't spend to get what it really needs if it's just to spend for a few years then when we get out of the window then of course we cut back and do some sort of rebuild but not during a cup window. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Fowler still has another year left at $4M.

If Fowler signs an extension on July 1st wouldn't his new cap hit be off the new contract? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

 

We also have two big salaries that will likely be eligible for LTIR to start the season in Kesler and Vatanen, so I see a ton of cap space to work with this coming season. 

 

You can not put anyone on LTIR until the second day of the season so you can not use it during the off season to sign over the cap limit. 

Putting Kesler or Vatanen on LTIR does not give the Ducks extra cap space to work with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

This has always frustrated me about this team. I get the whole save money and small market etc etc but when there is a small window of opportunity I don't see why the team doesn't spend to get what it really needs if it's just to spend for a few years then when we get out of the window then of course we cut back and do some sort of rebuild but not during a cup window. 

They spent to the cap this past season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

They spent to the cap this past season.

Well we carried $2Mil of Bernier's cap hit specifically because we wouldn't spend to the cap, but I can't complain over what we spent and put on the ice last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rdm400 said:

If Fowler signs an extension on July 1st wouldn't his new cap hit be off the new contract? 

No, his new cap hit doesn't kick in until next season. 

 

1 hour ago, rdm400 said:

You can not put anyone on LTIR until the second day of the season so you can not use it during the off season to sign over the cap limit. 

Putting Kesler or Vatanen on LTIR does not give the Ducks extra cap space to work with. 

I'm not sure this is true as teams are able to put players on LTIR during training camp, there is a different formula to calculate the cap hit specifically for training camp. It's not the easiest thing to understand though so I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...