The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drake12

HHOF - SELANNE & KARIYA

It seems most fitting that PK and the Finnish Flash go into the Hockey Hall of Fame together! Congratulations gentlemen!

That is incredible.

Both going in at the same time.

Hopefully this helps to get Paul back into the Duck's organization where he belongs.

Congrats to both.

Wow, misty here.

17 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Builders:

Clare Drake

Jeremy Jacobs

Players:

Teemu Selanne

Paul Kariya

Mark Recchi

Danielle Goyette

Dave Andreychuk

Happy for Teemu and Paul. They deserve the honor. 

I have to admit that I am glad Alfredson will not be inducted in the same class as they are.

19 minutes ago, Drake12 said:
It seems most fitting that PK and the Finnish Flash go into the Hockey Hall of Fame together! Congratulations gentlemen!

Sitting here trying to soak it all in and the 1 image that keeps coming to mind is the flip pass-goal in game 6 OT @ Phoenix.

25 minutes ago, wataduk said:

That is incredible.

Both going in at the same time.

Hopefully this helps to get Paul back into the Duck's organization where he belongs.

Congrats to both.

Wow, misty here.

YES PLEASE!

Not gonna lie, I squeaked like a child when I heard the news. Kariya should've been on the NHL Top 100 list but this is a far more prestigious honour in the end and I couldn't be happier for him. 

Anaheim Ducks‏Verified account @AnaheimDucks  2m2 minutes ago

Paul Kariya, on the HHOF conference call: "Never in my wildest dreams did I think this was possible. This is an incredible honor."

PK said he was surfing and got the news when he returned. @TeemuSel8nne called him right away to congratulate him; knew before PK did ??

.@TeemuSel8nne: "It's great that you were inducted w/ me, Paul, so we can fly together & you can pick up the tab for the private plane!" ??

Kayria is now a hall of famer. He was the Ducks first ever draft pick. He is 4th in points, 3rd in assists & goals all time for the Ducks. Should the Duck retire #9?

At the very least Kayria would have to attend the ceremony, then maybe the Samueli's can convince him to stick around a bit longer. 

+1 for Selanne. Teemu Selanne is the greatest Ducks player ever.  Definitely deserved first ballot HHOF induction.

I am ambivalent on Kariya's election.  I will be curious to see how Kariya accepts the honor of induction to HHOF.

Eric Stephens‏Verified account @icemancometh  1m1 minute ago

Asked Kariya if he'd like No. 9 to be hung in Honda Center. PK deflected that to the big pieces like Teemu that brought the Ducks the Cup.

Is PK going to be inducted in his Colorado jersey, since they had a better chance of winning the Cup than the Anaheim club he left after the Game 7 Finals loss?

Eric Stephens‏Verified account @icemancometh  15m15 minutes ago

Kariya sounds like he enjoys the private life. Doesn't know he has the "skill set" to coach or scout or be a GM. Major commitment w/jobs.

Teemu on No. 9 being retired: "I think his number has to go up. ... Can’t wait until that day comes."

1 hour ago, Mooseduck said:

No words to describe how I feel your now...Beyond Happy to hear 2 of the Ducks Greats.....Ducks Legend and Icon Teemu Selanne and his Friend Paul Kariya a Ducks Great in his own Right has been Elected and Named to the Hockey Hall of Fame...Congratutions all Ducks Including myself is extremely Proud and Blessed to see them go to the HHOF in T.O...WTG Guys and MIGHTY DUCKS 4EVER:D:t_hot_unread:.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Moose says it for me, too.  No words, just a very, very happy feeling in the gut that justice has been done.  Best way for it to happen, too:  Paul and Teemu together!  This is great for them, and great for the franchise, too.   After the "Paint It Orange" thing this last SCF run, where Paul took part, I have a strong belief that he's ready to be a part of the franchise again, too.

Very exciting day as a Ducks fan. Selanne was a no-brainer and Kariya was deserving as well -- Paul had a great chance once Bure got in a few years ago. He put this franchise on the map and on the road to respectability. One of the best LWs of the past three decades and someone that was worth paying to see. His numbers, considering the era he played in, are very impressive. Should've been a four-time Olympian. So appropriate that the dynamic duo gets the call for the hall on the same day. There is no Paul Kariya without Teemu Selanne, just like there is no Teemu Selanne without Paul Kariya. 

38 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Is PK going to be inducted in his Colorado jersey, since they had a better chance of winning the Cup than the Anaheim club he left after the Game 7 Finals loss?

It amazes me that people can't get over this. 

Congrats to both of them! They both deserved it.

We now almost have to (deservedly) do something with Kariya's number...can't think of any examples off the top of my head who are in the HHOF and aren't recognized by the team. (I understand it goes a little both ways, but hopefully the appearance this playoffs is a sign that the relationship is getting better)

6 minutes ago, ritz10hock said:

Well, it was a Punk thing to do, the way he left.  And it's not like he was the most warm and fuzzy guy towards the fans while he was here.  It's now said that it was because he's a shy kind of guy, but I heard stories from back then which say he was sometimes downright rude to some fans who approached him.  I guess for some, time heals all wounds, but it does not change the kind of guy he was off the ice.....with all due respect to Teemu and their friendship.

5 minutes ago, 354PM said:

Congrats to both of them! They both deserved it.

We now almost have to (deservedly) do something with Kariya's number...can't think of any examples off the top of my head who are in the HHOF and aren't recognized by the team. (I understand it goes a little both ways, but hopefully the appearance this playoffs is a sign that the relationship is getting better)

Kariya isn't bitter toward the Ducks, he's bitter toward the NHL because of the lack of seriousness they put on head shots when he played. 

17 minutes ago, ritz10hock said:

Seriously.

The L A Kings organization not only welcomed Rob Blake back onto the team as a player but have now made him the GM. Nobody was more despised by King fans for quite a few years than was Rob Blake.

8 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Well, it was a Punk thing to do, the way he left.  And it's not like he was the most warm and fuzzy guy towards the fans while he was here.  It's now said that it was because he's a shy kind of guy, but I heard stories from back then which say he was sometimes downright rude to some fans who approached him.  I guess for some, time heals all wounds, but it does not change the kind of guy he was off the ice.....with all due respect to Teemu and their friendship.

If you want someone to be your best friend, buy a dog....... but I wouldn't ever shell out $100 for a ticket to watch my dog play hockey.

22 minutes ago, ritz10hock said:

Yeah, I was still annoyed for a long time but it's been 14 years, and the franchise has been pretty successful since then. You can only hold a grudge for so long.

The #9 has to be retired now. The Ducks have been wanting to but Paul has been reluctant. 

Paul Kariya says it took him a year after retirement to feel normal again but doesn't have headaches anymore. "I feel really good."