Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drake12

HHOF - SELANNE & KARIYA

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, ritz10hock said:

Not disputing Giguere's accomplishment, but Kariya was one of the top five players in the league from 1996-2001. He was a big part of putting this franchise on the map. 

You would go to the game to watch the Ducks likely lose but hope you might see something magical from Paul when you went to the game.  He was the face of the franchise the moment we drafted him and believe me...he put fans in those seats and made a hockey fan out of me.  People can take things personally about what went down when he left and ignore the likely coaxing to leave by one Teemu Selanne but I won't.  Hockey's a business.  His number goes up next to Teemu's and I will DEFINITELY be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WolfgangDuck said:

You would go to the game to watch the Ducks likely lose but hope you might see something magical from Paul when you went to the game.  He was the face of the franchise the moment we drafted him and believe me...he put fans in those seats and made a hockey fan out of me.  People can take things personally about what went down when he left and ignore the likely coaxing to leave by one Teemu Selanne but I won't.  Hockey's a business.  His number goes up next to Teemu's and I will DEFINITELY be there.

If Cavaliers fans can get over LeBron leaving (where he embarrassed the franchise on national television) and Packers fans can get over the departure of Brett Favre (to a division rival strictly to BEAT THE PACKERS) surely Ducks fans can do the same with Kariya. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one good thing that will come of this, is perhaps PK will be the only Mighty Ducks jersey in the Hall Of Fame.  He wouldn't be inducted with the Ducks jersey, as he left before that logo was debuted.

Unless, of course, as I said earlier, he chooses to be inducted with the Avs jersey, which I feel is more appropriate, since he believed that to be the best team he ever played with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

The one good thing that will come of this, is perhaps PK will be the only Mighty Ducks jersey in the Hall Of Fame.  He wouldn't be inducted with the Ducks jersey, as he left before that logo was debuted.

Unless, of course, as I said earlier, he chooses to be inducted with the Avs jersey, which I feel is more appropriate, since he believed that to be the best team he ever played with.

It's not baseball. Players don't get inducted with any specific team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dynamic duo get inducted at the same time, +1 to the NHL, I couldn't be happier.

Kariya was everything Mighty Ducks and Anaheim.  The name Paul Kariya brought many new fans into the world of hockey, my circle of friends included.  The man deserves to be inducted.  Too bad his career was cut short by concussion issues, he could've done more for hockey.  Remember the vicious Suter hit on Kariya which took him out of the 1998 Olympics?  It's really sad that it took NHL this long to protect players properly.  And I still don't think they do a good job today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ritz10hock said:

If Cavaliers fans can get over LeBron leaving (where he embarrassed the franchise on national television) and Packers fans can get over the departure of Brett Favre (to a division rival strictly to BEAT THE PACKERS) surely Ducks fans can do the same with Kariya. 

Many have.  But not all.  Just as I'm sure there are Packers fans who haven't gotten over Favre's departure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way Paul left matters to me. I was an usher when the building opened. I was an usher in 03.

On pure skill, PK is better than JS. But for the Ducks franchise, JS is more deserving. I'm fine with PK going to the Hall of Fame. I don't think he should have his jersey retired before JS.

 

In my opinion, The Hall is about on ice performance, and contributions to the game. Jersey retirements are about things accomplished for a franchise and community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

When it comes to retiring numbers, my general philosophy is that less is more.  Basically, only Hall of Fame players or players who were synonymous with the franchise should have their numbers retired.  Kariya meets the first criteria, although the way he departed and has stayed away are still factors.  I expect that the HOF induction will overcome the latter, though, and the Ducks will look to retire his jersey soon.

Giguere just doesn't quite make it for me.  He was a great Duck, but he wasn't a historically significant hockey player.  Had he played his entire career with the Ducks, or close to it, then maybe you consider retiring the number.

I tend to prefer small Hall of Fames and few numbers retired.  I think those things should mean a lot, and they get diluted when you let too many into the club.,

I'm with this. It's supposed to be a special achievement for the best of the best. Not a popularity contest. As much as it pains me to say, I don't think JSG should have a number retirement. If he does than Herbert should follow. And that falls into diluting the honor of it. We are fans of a young franchise. Having #8, 9, 27, 35 seems more like we are trying to manufacture history more than honor it. Though a case can be made for #9.

Also, I think the NHL waited for the Selanne-Kayria duo. It's set up too perfect. The LA Daily News sports section had a huge front page picture of the two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, poum said:

I'm with this. It's supposed to be a special achievement for the best of the best. Not a popularity contest. As much as it pains me to say, I don't think JSG should have a number retirement. If he does than Herbert should follow. And that falls into diluting the honor of it. We are fans of a young franchise. Having #8, 9, 27, 35 seems more like we are trying to manufacture history more than honor it. Though a case can be made for #9.

Also, I think the NHL waited for the Selanne-Kayria duo. It's set up too perfect. The LA Daily News sports section had a huge front page picture of the two. 

I think there's more of a case for the franchise's first conn smythe winner and Cup winning goalie than for #9. If neither is hung, nothing's wrong with that. But if the standard is too high for JSG then it's too high for PK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fisix said:

I can't help but wonder if Teemu pushed for it, and was more than a little responsible for it happening for Paul.  

Putting on my tin foil hat, I'd believe that. While Paul wants none of the lime light Teemu is the exact opposite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The terms of the players career with the specific franchise play into the number retirement.  IMO, Although his numbers DO NOT warrant election to the HHOF, JSG35 accomplished more in terms by winning the cup and Conn Smthye than PK9 did.  He was well liked by the fans and served the community.  Election to the HHOF does not equate to having your jersey retired.  I'm not a proponent of retiring Niedermayer's jersey either.  He wasn't here that long.  How Colorado retired Ray Bourque's (77) jersey after one season was idiotic, and lessened the importance of any jersey ever being raised there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leevi mirrors dad's celebration!

 

Anaheim DucksVerified account @AnaheimDucks
Incredible moment as the Santa Margarita Eagles from the @ADHSHL win the USA Hockey National Championship in Plymouth, Minn. SMHS trailed Regis Jesuit 2-1 and tied it with 2 seconds left in regulation (Joseph Felicicchia), then Leevi Selanne (son of @TeemuSel8nne) won it in OT.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Leevi mirrors dad's celebration!

 

Anaheim DucksVerified account @AnaheimDucks
Incredible moment as the Santa Margarita Eagles from the @ADHSHL win the USA Hockey National Championship in Plymouth, Minn. SMHS trailed Regis Jesuit 2-1 and tied it with 2 seconds left in regulation (Joseph Felicicchia), then Leevi Selanne (son of @TeemuSel8nne) won it in OT.
 

That was awesome!!! Thanks for this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.6.2017 at 0:47 AM, ritz10hock said:

I can only speak from my own experience, but I was a scared 10 year old kid when I met Kariya in 2001. He couldn't have been more gentlemanly. 

Punk thing to do? I don't know ... it amazes me that Teemu always gets a free pass with this. Why didn't he want to come back to Anaheim until it was literally his only option?

It's good to hear Kariya is living a normal lifestyle ... but people need to remember he put his mental health and brain at risk to play for the Ducks. He returned from some pretty nasty injuries for the sake of our entertainment. 

Hi, 

Coming in late, but I was a big PK fan growing up but had a long break from when i quit playing myself. 

Can anyone please give me update on what happened or the reason why the PK left the Ducks. Rember i hated seeing him on the other teams when i was a kid..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see someone speak up for the Ducks.

It was fun to watch @NHL All Star weekend😊 ...well done San Jose👏 by the way when we will see All Star game in Anaheim?! Since @AnaheimDucks entered to NHL San Jose and LA have hosted it twice already, and there are other teams who haven’t host it either ..@NHLJets ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first saw this topic I was hoping Selanne and Kariya were going to come out of retirement and help the team out. Maybe bring Niedermayer along also.

Teemu is a great spokesman for the team. Congratulating San Jose while also bringing up the lack All Star games being hosted by other teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Nice to see someone speak up for the Ducks.

It was fun to watch @NHL All Star weekend😊 ...well done San Jose👏 by the way when we will see All Star game in Anaheim?! Since @AnaheimDucks entered to NHL San Jose and LA have hosted it twice already, and there are other teams who haven’t host it either ..@NHLJets ?

Saw it too..Salute to Ducks Legend Teemu Selanne for saying what we all want.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...