Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DuckFan4Life

Welcome Ryan Miller

72 posts in this topic

2 mil per, ermmm ok I guess. Wish it was the rumored 1mil. That extra mil cciuld have gone a long way with our need at forward. 3rd C or 4th W depending I. wags defelopment.

Hope he'll positively influence Gibson and mentor him to stay in shape and put in the physical work to prevent injuries.  Miller gets hot, Gibson could ride the pine.

1 person likes this

Would've liked a little less per, say 1.5m, but I am mildly pleased with this development.

This is an amazing deal. Miller is a guy who can be a starter, and we have both Gibson and Miller signed for less than 5mil total. Brings experience to the table - should be a good mentor for Gibson. Half what Bernier got last year.

Anaheim couldn't have done better solidifying goaltending. 

3 people like this

That's what we needed,To help Gibson get his mind on Hockey and what it takes to be number 1,I'm with you Fowl,Gibson better smarten up or he will be #2 sitting on the bench. 

2 people like this

Good signing.

If the Ducks had a Ryan Miller this past season, they would have been playing in the SCF.

1 person likes this

Miller had a .915 save % on a terrible team. He'll be just fine behind this defense in Anaheim. 

3 people like this

i've been waiting for this signing! This could be one of the bigger steals of the offseason. Great mentor for Gibby and Miller will be itching for a cup with his great play.

1 person likes this

Miller's wife is an actress, Noureen DeWulf  (not too hard on the eyes) in the So Cal area and my guess is that Ryan will be one happy camper being here with her.

Happy wife......happy goalie?

2 people like this

Excellent signing, a Miller in the net will be a solid addition for the Ducks.It is going to make Gibson clean up his act, stay fit or be bumped to number two.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Fowl said:

Hope he'll positively influence Gibson and mentor him to stay in shape and put in the physical work to prevent injuries.  Miller gets hot, Gibson could ride the pine.

1 hour ago, mightyducks2007 said:

That's what we needed,To help Gibson get his mind on Hockey and what it takes to be number 1,I'm with you Fowl,Gibson better smarten up or he will be #2 sitting on the bench. 

It's humorous to me that because Gibson has had injury issues, you guys assume he doesn't have his mind on hockey and doesn't put in the physical work to prevent injuries. What a load ... I wonder if Montreal fans were saying this when Carey Price only started 40, 49 and 39 games the first three years of his career. 

Anyway, good signing by the Ducks. 

Edited by ritz10hock

4 minutes ago, ritz10hock said:

It's humorous to me that because Gibson has had injury issues, you guys assume he doesn't have his mind on hockey and doesn't put in the physical work to prevent injuries.

It's not an assumption.  It is an often-reported behind-the-scenes scenario.  He isn't aggressive on conditioning and training.  

7 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

It's not an assumption.  It is an often-reported behind-the-scenes scenario.  He isn't aggressive on conditioning and training.  

You're welcome to present a link. 

12 minutes ago, ritz10hock said:

You're welcome to present a link. 

Don't need to.  They're all over this board.  And they're not the headline of an article, so it's not like you can Google "Lazy Gibson" and get a quick hit.

3 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Don't need to.  They're all over this board.  And they're not the headline of an article, so it's not like you can Google "Lazy Gibson" and get a quick hit.

Yeah ... I'm not the type of person who considers a message board quality sourcing. 

I don't think there's been any official reporting about it. But I've seen the rumours in numerous places about his attitude being a bit of a problem. A friend of mine said Bob basically told a small group at the SSH day that he wasn't happy with Gibby's work ethic. Again, it's not reporting on the record so take it with a grain of salt. 

19 minutes ago, nieder said:

I don't think there's been any official reporting about it. But I've seen the rumours in numerous places about his attitude being a bit of a problem. A friend of mine said Bob basically told a small group at the SSH day that he wasn't happy with Gibby's work ethic. Again, it's not reporting on the record so take it with a grain of salt. 

Didn't Gibson have some " issues " in college and/or the minors ??

24 minutes ago, nieder said:

I mean you don't have to look far to see he's a bit of a different dude. BM said as much in a video the Ducks posted within the past couple months. That doesn't mean he has a bad attitude. He's an aloof guy that really never shows any emotion good or bad. 

I just have a problem with people on this board speculating on a guy's work ethic and they are drawn to that conclusion because of his injury history. People dogged Getzlaf for offseason stuff every year. It just gets old. We have no idea how much these guys put into it. I'm not naive to say some guys aren't lazier than others, but it's a demanding position. Goalies get beat up. Carey Price has had plenty of injury issues. Jon Quick has had injury issues. 

I wouldn't want my starting goalie playing more than 55 games regardless. There's no need. The days of teams winning Cups with a goalie that plays 70+ games in the regular season are done. Gibson started 49 last year. Not denying he's had injury trouble, but surely the Ducks could've pushed him for more games had there not been the luxury of the Berniers, Andersens, etc. around. 

The guy has had a .920 and .924 save percentage the past two years. Giguere went .920 or better only three times his entire career. The anti-Gibson around here just seems overblown to me. 

1 hour ago, ritz10hock said:

Yeah ... I'm not the type of person who considers a message board quality sourcing. 

Well,  no one is stupid enough to put that in print, so I guess I'll just have to let you live with the "he was just born with a bad groin" theory if your standards of proof otherwise are impossible to meet.

2 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Well,  no one is stupid enough to put that in print, so I guess I'll just have to let you live with the "he was just born with a bad groin" theory if your standards of proof otherwise are impossible to meet.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable if, when someone says "it's been often reported",  to ask for an actual report. 

Edited by ritz10hock

I don't think I'm being unreasonable if, when someone says "it's been often reported",  to ask for an actual report. 

See above.  Discussions at SSH where they weren't too pleased with his work ethic.  And that isn't the first time.

That's a report.  Just because it's not in a newspaper doesn't make it a lie.

It also doesn't make it 100% true, but if you require a link for it to be true, then it's never going to happen,  true or not.

Edited by gotchabari
1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

See above.  Discussions at SSH where they weren't too pleased with his work ethic.  And that isn't the first time.

That's a report.  Just because it's not in a newspaper doesn't make it a lie.

It also doesn't make it 100% true, but if you require a link for it to be true, then it's never going to happen,  true or not.

Clearly we have different definitions of what a report is. I've never attended one of these meetings, but I have a hard time believing the team would bash one of it's goalies to the fans. And I'm quite certain that, had the team's intention been to call out their goaltender, a solid reporter like Eric Stephens would've written something about it. 

I work in the media. Legitimate sourcing means everything to me. I don't consider a SSH meeting legitimate sourcing. Sorry. 

Clearly we have different definitions of what a report is. I've never attended one of these meetings, but I have a hard time believing the team would bash one of it's goalies to the fans. And I'm quite certain that, had the team's intention been to call out their goaltender, a solid reporter like Eric Stephens would've written something about it. 

I work in the media. Legitimate sourcing means everything to me. I don't consider a SSH meeting legitimate sourcing. Sorry. 

Why the hell would they want to call out their goaltender publicly? 

Other side discussions heard at SSH have come true (Kesler coming, Freddie leaving, another forwards off-season  [can't remember which one right now]), none of which became media reports for good and obvious reasons.

While I can appreciate not totally buying into something until confirmed, I don't think writing off hearsay on its face is necessary.  This isnt a court of a law.

I find it a bit akin to calling the people on here who hear these things and repeat them liars, just because they dont have a job in the media.

2 people like this

At least the third pair of siblings to play for the ducks. Am I missing any?

26 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Why the hell would they want to call out their goaltender publicly? 

Other side discussions heard at SSH have come true (Kesler coming, Freddie leaving, another forwards off-season  [can't remember which one right now]), none of which became media reports for good and obvious reasons.

While I can appreciate not totally buying into something until confirmed, I don't think writing off hearsay on its face is necessary.  This isnt a court of a law.

I find it a bit akin to calling the people on here who hear these things and repeat them liars, just because they dont have a job in the media.

The problem with your examples is that there was reporting on the possibility of Kesler coming to the Ducks and there was reporting on Andersen's situation. You said there was fine print with this, then say it was said at a SSH which is NOT fine print. 

I'm not calling anybody a liar, but I do understand the difference between what a fan thinks they hear and actual reporting, and I put a heck of a lot more credence into the latter. Don't say something has been reported when it hasn't. 

Actual reporting isn't necessarily reliable. Let's not pretend journalists are the gold standard. Do reporters ever mention when an official makes bad or biased calls? But it has happened. I suspect the league threatens to withold their press pass if they do. So if you're waiting on a reporter to know the truth... you'll never know the truth.

30 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

Actual reporting isn't necessarily reliable. Let's not pretend journalists are the gold standard. Do reporters ever mention when an official makes bad or biased calls? But it has happened. I suspect the league threatens to withold their press pass if they do. So if you're waiting on a reporter to know the truth... you'll never know the truth.

I don't know ... if you can find a gamer from Game 6 of the Cup Finals that doesn't mention how Nashville lost a goal because of a premature whistle, I'd be shocked. But it's not a reporter's job to spew their opinion on what was a bad call and what wasn't when covering a game (aside from maybe on twitter). We're comparing something some people may have heard at a SSH meeting vs. what professional reporters report. Frankly, there's not a comparison. 

As far as the press pass, individual teams (for the most part) handle who gets credentialed for games and who doesn't. That said, if the league was threatening to revoke credentials because a reporter/columnist had an opinion the NHL didn't like, trust me ...  you'd hear/read about it. 

4 hours ago, ritz10hock said:

I've also seen this reports from ex goalie coaches. For whatever that's worth.

I'm far to lazy to track them down, but I bet if you really wanted to, you could find it with a google search.

1 minute ago, liquid13 said:

I've also seen this reports from ex goalie coaches. For whatever that's worth.

I'm far to lazy to track them down, but I bet if you really wanted to, you could find it with a google search.

And if they went on record, that would be a relevant source. 

Most of the stuff I've read about Gibson is that he's like any young hockey player ... he needs time to mature and learn how to be a professional. That rings quite a bit different to me than what some are suggesting -- that he's been unwilling to put in the work to be successful.