Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DuckFan4Life

Welcome Ryan Miller

Recommended Posts

Just now, ritz10hock said:

And if they went on record, that would be a relevant source. 

Most of the stuff I've read about Gibson is that he's like any young hockey player ... he needs time to mature and learn how to be a professional. That rings quite a bit different to me than what some are suggesting -- that he's been unwilling to put in the work to be successful. 

They did go on record. They called him arrogant and unwilling to put in the work.

 

The lazy personae on Gibson is out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, liquid13 said:

They did go on record. They called him arrogant and unwilling to put in the work.

 

The lazy personae on Gibson is out there. 

From an ESPN article that ran during this past Stanley Cup playoff: 

— "He was a young lad and didn't know what an NHL goalie needs to do to prepare," Sudarshan said. "There's no question that there's been -- continues to be -- an improvement in that area."

— That's not to say Gibson does not put in work, or is aloof. Troy Smith, who coached Gibson with the Ontario Hockey League's Kitchener Rangers, said that Gibson's remarkable athleticism was matched only by his hockey sense, and that he put in the hours in practice to improve. "His work ethic is understated. I think it's a lot like his personality," Smith said. "He's not going to make a big deal about what he's doing, he's just going to go out and get the work done."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ritz10hock said:

From an ESPN article that ran during this past Stanley Cup playoff: 

— "He was a young lad and didn't know what an NHL goalie needs to do to prepare," Sudarshan said. "There's no question that there's been -- continues to be -- an improvement in that area."

— That's not to say Gibson does not put in work, or is aloof. Troy Smith, who coached Gibson with the Ontario Hockey League's Kitchener Rangers, said that Gibson's remarkable athleticism was matched only by his hockey sense, and that he put in the hours in practice to improve. "His work ethic is understated. I think it's a lot like his personality," Smith said. "He's not going to make a big deal about what he's doing, he's just going to go out and get the work done."

 

That's from this year.

 

I was just about to post this.

But that's not the article we are referring to obviously. He's making strides in the work ethic department. That's good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, liquid13 said:

That's from this year.

 

I was just about to post this.

But that's not the article we are referring to obviously. He's making strides in the work ethic department. That's good.

The story is from this year, but the one quote is from his junior coach who obviously hasn't coached him in years, yet praised his worth ethic back from back when Gibson was in Kitchener. 

I don't plan on spending all night looking up stories on Gibson, but if one of you guys can find one of the stories you're referencing I'd appreciate the read. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ritz10hock said:

The story is from this year, but the one quote is from his junior coach who obviously hasn't coached him in years, yet praised his worth ethic back from back when Gibson was in Kitchener. 

I don't plan on spending all night looking up stories on Gibson, but if one of you guys can find one of the stories you're referencing I'd appreciate the read. 

If I happen to run into it I'll post it. 

 

Anyways, I'm perfectly fine with Gibson moving forward.

also, back to the thread. I like the Miller signing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this move, maybe a tiny bit more money than ideal, but still we don't have a 4.5 million dollar back up anymore. Miller can be a very good mentor to Gibson, because I think Miller in his prime is what Gibson can be. Very athletic, all he needs is his positioning a little more sound, puckhandling, and a bit better lateral pushes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ritz10hock said:

 

It's humorous to me that because Gibson has had injury issues, you guys assume he doesn't have his mind on hockey and doesn't put in the physical work to prevent injuries. What a load ... I wonder if Montreal fans were saying this when Carey Price only started 40, 49 and 39 games the first three years of his career. 

Anyway, good signing by the Ducks. 

Glad I could humor you again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I really like this move, maybe a tiny bit more money than ideal, but still we don't have a 4.5 million dollar back up anymore. Miller can be a very good mentor to Gibson, because I think Miller in his prime is what Gibson can be. Very athletic, all he needs is his positioning a little more sound, puckhandling, and a bit better lateral pushes. 

I don't think we were ever paying Bernier is full 4.5m anyway since TOR retained some salary before getting traded over if I'm not mistaken 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

I don't think we were ever paying Bernier is full 4.5m anyway since TOR retained some salary before getting traded over if I'm not mistaken 

No, Toronto did not retain salary. We were only paying the 2mil because that was tale end of the deal, while the cap hit was still 4 something. Like a 6-4-4-2 deal that averages 4mil cap, but is only actually making 2 in the final year. That's what we had going on with Bernier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ike-1 said:

No, Toronto did not retain salary. We were only paying the 2mil because that was tale end of the deal, while the cap hit was still 4 something. Like a 6-4-4-2 deal that averages 4mil cap, but is only actually making 2 in the final year. That's what we had going on with Bernier.

Not exactly. It was a 2-year, $8.3M deal with the same salary ($4.15M) each season. But for each of the two seasons, $2M of the salary was paid on July 1st as a signing bonus, and the remaining $2.15M was then paid out as standard salary over the course of the season. By acquiring him after July 1st last season we bypassed the signing bonus, which had already been paid by Toronto, and the Ducks were then only on the hook for his remaining game checks. So it was neither a retained salary transaction nor a front-loaded contract. It was just a shrewdly timed acquisition. I think most people assume Bernier was just a delayed part of the Freddy trade that the two clubs agreed would come later because of the timing of the signing bonus payment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DT2008 said:

At least the third pair of siblings to play for the ducks. Am I missing any?

Right off the top of my head, I can think of the following:  Saccos, Prongers, Niedermayers, and Millers.

Perhaps, Miller can help Gibson with his puck handling abilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mulcher said:

Negative press for Gibson? Blame it on the most popular scapegoat those pesky Russians .

We also hacked your email and brought down the NASA servers for good measure :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does seem a tad high but it's one of those things if he exceeds expectations which I believe he can it will be well worth it.

 

Hell, at this point I'm going to try out for the team. I'm hard working and will serve them well. My name is Ryan so I figure that gives me roughly a 50% chance to be on the team ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JadeDragonEyes said:

Does seem a tad high but it's one of those things if he exceeds expectations which I believe he can it will be well worth it.

 

Hell, at this point I'm going to try out for the team. I'm hard working and will serve them well. My name is Ryan so I figure that gives me roughly a 50% chance to be on the team ?

I'd hold out for 4 years @ 2.75 M per year with a modified NTC or No Movement clause ( because you are WORTH it ) :lol: IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2017 at 10:47 AM, ike-1 said:

2 mil per, ermmm ok I guess. Wish it was the rumored 1mil. That extra mil cciuld have gone a long way with our need at forward. 3rd C or 4th W depending I. wags defelopment.

If Marleau commands $6.25MM then Miller is a steak at $2MM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZTHER said:

If Marleau commands $6.25MM then Miller is a steak at $2MM

True, but imo Marleau was not worth that either. If we were 'rumored' to be interested in Marleau I bet we were offering around 3-3.5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2017 at 8:39 PM, Sexlaf15 said:

I really like this move, maybe a tiny bit more money than ideal, but still we don't have a 4.5 million dollar back up anymore. Miller can be a very good mentor to Gibson, because I think Miller in his prime is what Gibson can be. Very athletic, all he needs is his positioning a little more sound, puckhandling, and a bit better lateral pushes. 

My most consistent complaints about Gibson's game are his lateral movement and his rebounds. I will not list any other issues since it is the off season and I assume he is working to improve everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BiolaRunner said:

2 mil a year is higher than what was rumored, but wasn't Bernier making a lot more? We got a better goalie for a lower cost.

Yes and no. Yes, Bernier was more expensive on the cap hit ($4M). No, in salary the Ducks only paid him $2M. 

Though Colorado signed Bernier for more than what the Ducks paid for Miller by 500K or 575K, in that ballpark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, poum said:

Yes and no. Yes, Bernier was more expensive on the cap hit ($4M). No, in salary the Ducks only paid him $2M. 

Though Colorado signed Bernier for more than what the Ducks paid for Miller by 500K or 575K, in that ballpark.

Bernie McBackup costs them 2.750.000 in dollars this next season.

https://capfriendly.com/teams/avalanche

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miller has won a Vezina trophy before-awarded to the league's top goalie.  Has started in the Olympics.  I might be in the minority here.  But I think he will give Gibson a run for his money to be the Duck's number 1 goalie this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, duck123 said:

Miller has won a Vezina trophy before-awarded to the league's top goalie.  Has started in the Olympics.  I might be in the minority here.  But I think he will give Gibson a run for his money to be the Duck's number 1 goalie this season. 

Miller is definitely talented. Gibby being the starter isn't necessarily set in stone in my mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, duck123 said:

Miller has won a Vezina trophy before-awarded to the league's top goalie.  Has started in the Olympics.  I might be in the minority here.  But I think he will give Gibson a run for his money to be the Duck's number 1 goalie this season. 

He had pretty good stats last year on a terrible team. Miller is still a good goaltender, we will have one of the better tandems in the league next year provided we don't see too many injuries from the pair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BiolaRunner said:

Miller is definitely talented. Gibby being the starter isn't necessarily set in stone in my mind

It's Gibby's job to lose. He starts the season as #1. His play and/or injury will determine how long that lasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

It's Gibby's job to lose. He starts the season as #1. His play and/or injury will determine how long that lasts.

AGREE- hope that Gibby plays lights out and stays healthy. I hate the 1, 1-A routine that we have been doing for the previous years ( not so much last year ). Would like a VERY STRONG #1 ( that stays healthy ). IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

AGREE- hope that Gibby plays lights out and stays healthy. I hate the 1, 1-A routine that we have been doing for the previous years ( not so much last year ). Would like a VERY STRONG #1 ( that stays healthy ). IMHO

In all honesty, having that 1-1A tandem is in no way a negative thing. 

Imagine Gibby was backed up by some plug like Pavelec , we would be burning furniture left and right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BiolaRunner said:

Miller is definitely talented. Gibby being the starter isn't necessarily set in stone in my mind

Stop it. Bernier had a .941 save percentage last March while Gibson was hurt and the Ducks didn’t even flinch about who was the starter. Nor did they when Gibson had a hiccup against Calgary in Round 1. 

Miller is a solid veteran who will provide insurance. The Ducks made it clear a long time ago who their starter is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...