logiquacki

Potential forwards

82 posts in this topic

I, and probably every single one of you and the front office believes we still need another forward. Thomas Vanek is a UFA that comes to mind, he can put up 40-50 points as an offensive player. How many years and for what AAV? Another possibility I'd like to see is David Perron. He is a little expensive so I'm not sure GMBM wants him, but if we picked up his salary would it cost more than a 3rd round pick? I have no idea so let me know what you think. 

Potential lines:

Perron/Rakell-Getz-Eaves

cogs-kes-silf

Perron/rakell/vanek-vermette-perry

ritchie-wagner-kase

Trading vatanen for a legit scorer is also an option but with the injury to lindholm and the loss of stoner, and theodore, I feel like we should keep him around for now. Obviously we still have good depth on the blue line but that is on some younger guys who haven't proven much (larsson). So I think we should keep the D depth unless its a super compelling offer. I'm not opposed to trading him either, obviously I'd love to see a legitimate first line scorer.  

The addition of one more forward really expands the depth of scoring tremendously. We need all the secondary scoring we can get. I also really like what I saw from Ritchie in the playoffs. He was starting to show off those hands and I'm hoping he can continue to develop as a scorer. If he takes a big step forward, the team will become exponentially better imo and we will have 3 solid/good lines and a 4th grinding line that can score a little too.

Let me know what you guys think

I wouldn't mind Vanek (Not that I dont want Perron) if the price is cheap, which I'm assuming it will be. And I wouldn't be surprised if we sign him. 

2 years/4Mil

Edited by ImNotRyanKesler
I suck at typing
1 person likes this

There's been a lot of discussion about Perron in the 'off-season plan' thread. But if that trade happens it's probably at the deadline IMO. 

Pass on Vanek. Plays soft and disappears for long stretches. 

I honestly don't think anyone left on the table makes any impact that we want. Best bet is to round out the bottom six. I'd rather us not trade Vatanen at all. We kept him and Manson for a reason. If Perry rebounds, Rakell continues improvement, Silfverberg continues, Getzlaf, Kesler keep about what they did last year I don't think we are desperate for any more forwards anymore. Of course we all want that top line LW that we've needed for what feels like a decade, but all it takes for our d depth to dissipate is another trade and a prospect to not pan out which is common. 

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, ImNotRyanKesler said:

I wouldn't mind Vanek (Not that I dont want Perron) if the price is cheap, which I'm assuming it will be. And I wouldn't be surprised if we sign him. 

2 years/4Mil

Might as well sign Vanek as we continue the quest to have every player from the 2003 first round play at least one game for the Ducks. 

2 people like this

14 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I honestly don't think anyone left on the table makes any impact that we want. Best bet is to round out the bottom six. I'd rather us not trade Vatanen at all. We kept him and Manson for a reason. If Perry rebounds, Rakell continues improvement, Silfverberg continues, Getzlaf, Kesler keep about what they did last year I don't think we are desperate for any more forwards anymore. Of course we all want that top line LW that we've needed for what feels like a decade, but all it takes for our d depth to dissipate is another trade and a prospect to not pan out which is common. 

It's been exactly a decade since Penner was stolen from us by Edmonton. If you discount Bobby, who wasn't there in the 07 offseason to begin with, the Getz-Perry line is missing a leg way back since then. Remarkable what we have achieved over the years where we are seriously playing with a 2/3 of a top line.

1 person likes this

Pass on Vanek. He is dependent on a good pivot. He would be placed on the 3rd or 4th and neither of those lines as good pivot to dish out the puck directly onto Vaneks stick like a silver platter. 

If we want to maximize our use of Vermett and don't mind going old (and hopefully cheap) then perhaps Doan since those 2 have had previous success in Phoenix together. 

Perron would be wasted on 3rd/ 4th line unless he and Perry (and Vermett) have chemistry. I thought when Perron was here, it was he and getz who had the chemistry? Now that Eaves is in that then cancels out Perron. 

Looking at the most likely scenario  that comes cheap and could yield results, I think Bob picks up Doan. 

If we need a center, can we backfill that position from within? How about the Langinere fella? Ducks123 would be ecstatic. 

40 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Pass on Vanek. He is dependent on a good pivot. He would be placed on the 3rd or 4th and neither of those lines as good pivot to dish out the puck directly onto Vaneks stick like a silver platter. 

If we want to maximize our use of Vermett and don't mind going old (and hopefully cheap) then perhaps Doan since those 2 have had previous success in Phoenix together. 

Perron would be wasted on 3rd/ 4th line unless he and Perry (and Vermett) have chemistry. I thought when Perron was here, it was he and getz who had the chemistry? Now that Eaves is in that then cancels out Perron. 

Looking at the most likely scenario  that comes cheap and could yield results, I think Bob picks up Doan. 

If we need a center, can we backfill that position from within? How about the Langinere fella? Ducks123 would be ecstatic. 

I think Eaves and Perron play different games and would actually complement each other really well, with one on each side of Getzlaf. Eaves is a net-front guy while Perron does his best work on the perimeter and in the corners. Eaves is also defensively responsible whereas Perron needs an opposite winger to pick up some of his defensive slack. Getzlaf also does great when he has two options instead of just one. 

With Kesler dinged, I also think its 90% likely that Rakell starts the season in the middle. So there's definitely space for a top-9 LW to be added.  My first preference would be to give Grigorenko a shot, since he's both a C and a LW. But Perron is a close second for me.

3 people like this

No thanks on Vanek. He plays a soft game. Hard to imagine in the playoffs when the pace gets amped up that he'll make any significant difference. 

Dallas is not playing around and signed Radulov after already getting Bishop, Methot and Hanzal. Hate to say it, but we are a bubble team for the playoffs right now. Our defense and goaltending will have to carry us more than ever.

16 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Dallas is not playing around and signed Radulov after already getting Bishop, Methot and Hanzal. Hate to say it, but we are a bubble team for the playoffs right now. Our defense and goaltending will have to carry us more than ever.

The division champs and WCF participants who now have Eaves all season and solid backup goaltending are now a bubble because one team is working hard at becoming the 1972 Redskins?

How do you figure?

4 people like this

48 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

The division champs and WCF participants who now have Eaves all season and solid backup goaltending are now a bubble because one team is working hard at becoming the 1972 Redskins?

How do you figure?

I LOL'd at this. :lol:

I'm with you. It's July 3rd. Are we seriously starting the gloom and doom about not making the playoffs already?

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I don't get this attitude. We just made the West finals and probably had a good chance at going to the Finals if we weren't so beat up. Which teams have gotten significantly better? Dallas and probably Calgary are the only teams in the conference that have gotten significantly better through free agency, but neither of them were threats last year. Are they suddenly both better than Anaheim? I don't think so. 

2 people like this

^^ And unless I missed NHL realignment, Dallas is still not in our division either. 

2 people like this

32 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

^^ And unless I missed NHL realignment, Dallas is still not in our division either. 

I did say in the conference. But yeah unless we are battling them for a wildcard spot they probably won't have an effect on Anaheim making the playoffs. 

Calgary got better. Edmonton is basically the same, we can probably assume McDavid and Draisaitl get better as they are still young, but they could still take a step back if Talbot isn't as good next season, Oilers fans I spoke to thought he was their MVP and not McDavid as he stole them a lot of games last season. LA and San Jose aren't any better. Vancouver and Arizona are still joke teams. We've all seen the Vegas roster. 

If I had to guess I'd say it's probably between Anaheim and Edmonton for the division title again next season, with Calgary rounding out the 3 division playoff spots. 

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

How do you figure?

When other Western teams have gotten better and addressed their needs while the Ducks haven't (aside from back-up goaltending), then yeah I'd be a bit concerned if nothing changes. Dallas was the top seed in 2016 and missed the playoffs last year. San Jose was bounced in the first round after going to the SCF previous season. The fact that we got by Edmonton was an act of god and they'll be better this year. Relying on a 33-year old Eaves who had an anomaly of year to be the missing offensive piece doesn't seem likely. We do benefit from having a weak division, that could save us, but Edmonton and Calgary are probably ahead of us right now and Arizona also got much better and is stacked with probably the best prospect pool in the league. Don't be surprised if they make a legit turn around this year and be the West's version of Toronto. 

P.S. I really, really hope that I'm wrong. 

3 minutes ago, nieder said:

I did say in the conference. But yeah unless we are battling them for a wildcard spot they probably won't have an effect on Anaheim making the playoffs. 

Calgary got better. Edmonton is basically the same, we can probably assume McDavid and Draisaitl get better as they are still young, but they could still take a step back if Talbot isn't as good next season, Oilers fans I spoke to thought he was their MVP and not McDavid as he stole them a lot of games last season. LA and San Jose aren't any better. Vancouver and Arizona are still joke teams. We've all seen the Vegas roster. 

If I had to guess I'd say it's probably between Anaheim and Edmonton for the division title again next season, with Calgary rounding out the 3 division playoff spots. 

Yep, and we should be feasting on those teams for standings points, which should also help all of the Pacific division teams in the wildcard race while the Central division pummels itself.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Yep, and we should be feasting on those teams for standings points, which should also help all of the Pacific division teams in the wildcard race while the Central division pummels itself.

Central Division should be renamed the Norris, the way I feel it'll play out. The old black and blue.

We are going to start the season with the same team we went into the playoffs last year. We are def a playoff team. But we have no offensive depth AND we are hoping that Eaves doesn't get injured which is likely to happen anyway. In fact, if we lose a single offensive player we won't have a replacement for him unless one of the prospect kids is ready but relying on that is foolish. So since we will enter the playoffs this year the same as the last we have not improved no where except Miller as a backup. Thats not good enough for me especially if we run into the Preds again or (Bishop). Getz and Kesler are another year older, then there is hope (count 2 for another hope) Perry rebounds but players sometimes with age just get worse not better, that's nature for you. As such, We need to get another offensive piece or it will be the same story once more.... not enough. 

53 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

We are going to start the season with the same team we went into the playoffs last year. We are def a playoff team. But we have no offensive depth AND we are hoping that Eaves doesn't get injured which is likely to happen anyway. In fact, if we lose a single offensive player we won't have a replacement for him unless one of the prospect kids is ready but relying on that is foolish. So since we will enter the playoffs this year the same as the last we have not improved no where except Miller as a backup. Thats not good enough for me especially if we run into the Preds again or (Bishop). Getz and Kesler are another year older, then there is hope (count 2 for another hope) Perry rebounds but players sometimes with age just get worse not better, that's nature for you. As such, We need to get another offensive piece or it will be the same story once more.... not enough. 

We haven't added anyone yet for offensive depth, but it's still pretty early. No need to panic just yet. 

My feeling is we might not add anyone else until the deadline again. But at least that would give us more depth heading into the playoffs. 

32 minutes ago, nieder said:

We haven't added anyone yet for offensive depth, but it's still pretty early. No need to panic just yet. 

My feeling is we might not add anyone else until the deadline again. But at least that would give us more depth heading into the playoffs. 

Yeah, you're right. Hopefully staff and management can make a good assessment at that time to determine what is needed and hopefully make the right adjustments. 

GMBM is GMBBBM after all...(GM Bargin Bin Bob Murray). He is waiting for the dust to settle. All the big contracts/more desperate teams are just throwing money at players. 8 mil for Thorton, 6.25 for Marleau, I mean that's just a little crazy imo. Kunitz deal was a good one we could have managed, but we didn't get him, but there are plenty of players still out there that can fill in a bottom 6 role just fine.

The more I think about Doan makes more and more sense. I don't know if I like him, but it fits.

Less likely, I would love Jagr to come. 3rd line wing and 2PP. He was my favorite player growing up. I even have a Jagr Pitts jersey with the C. Nostalgia. 

Perron isn't a free agent, some of the above makes it sound like he is. I liked him when he was here, but Eaves might make him a redundancy regardless of different styles of play (linemate suitors).

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, ike-1 said:

GMBM is GMBBBM after all...(GM Bargin Bin Bob Murray). He is waiting for the dust to settle. All the big contracts/more desperate teams are just throwing money at players. 8 mil for Thorton, 6.25 for Marleau, I mean that's just a little crazy imo. Kunitz deal was a good one we could have managed, but we didn't get him, but there are plenty of players still out there that can fill in a bottom 6 role just fine.

The more I think about Doan makes more and more sense. I don't know if I like him, but it fits.

Less likely, I would love Jagr to come. 3rd line wing and 2PP. He was my favorite player growing up. I even have a Jagr Pitts jersey with the C. Nostalgia. 

Perron isn't a free agent, some of the above makes it sound like he is. I liked him when he was here, but Eaves might make him a redundancy regardless of different styles of play (linemate suitors).

Perron isn't a free agent but he is absolutely for sale. And probably for not that much. Vegas traded Methot for a 2nd in 2020 and Emelin for a 3rd in 2019. Perron isn't anymore valuable than those two IMO. It's also likely that Methot got a larger return because he has two years remaining on his contract, whereas Emrlin (and Perron) are both in the final year of their contracts. Eric Stephens has also been tweeting about the Ducks chasing Marleau, and in one of his tweets he said he was told that the Ducks have a Plan B. That should lead us to think that there's still something else coming, and that something will address the LW.

btw, Doan is a RW. Just like Perry, he always has been and always will be. I've wanted a Doan for the past three years, but I think the Eaves signing put that to bed. We're now stacked with right-shot wingers who prefer the RW in Pears, Silf, Eaves, Kase, Wags, and Boll. Even Rakell is better as a RW, but he ends up on the LW because we've had no one else to fill that spot (just like when Bobby was here and forced to play on his off wing).

Perron is also a right-shot, but he has talked many times about how he prefers the left side. He's also played here before, likes the team, and has chemistry with Getzlaf. So while he's maybe not the ideal player we need, he's definitely an option that would make use better.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Perron isn't a free agent but he is absolutely for sale. And probably for not that much. Vegas traded Methot for a 2nd in 2020 and Emelin for a 3rd in 2019. Perron isn't anymore valuable than those two IMO. It's also likely that Methot got a larger return because he has two years remaining on his contract, whereas Emrlin (and Perron) are both in the final year of their contracts. Eric Stephens has also been tweeting about the Ducks chasing Marleau, and in one of his tweets he said he was told that the Ducks have a Plan B. That should lead us to think that there's still something else coming, and that something will address the LW.

btw, Doan is a RW. Just like Perry, he always has been and always will be. I've wanted a Doan for the past three years, but I think the Eaves signing put that to bed. We're now stacked with right-shot wingers who prefer the RW in Pears, Silf, Eaves, Kase, Wags, and Boll. Even Rakell is better as a RW, but he ends up on the LW because we've had no one else to fill that spot (just like when Bobby was here and forced to play on his off wing).

Perron is also a right-shot, but he has talked many times about how he prefers the left side. He's also played here before, likes the team, and has chemistry with Getzlaf. So while he's maybe not the ideal player we need, he's definitely an option that would make use better.

If Plan A was Marleau then getting Perron would be a logical Plan B especially if Vegas retains some salary. Perron doesn't address our lack of speed but it might be our best trade option that doesn't involve moving a key asset. Grigorenko signed in the KHL so Vanek is the only available FA that I would take a flier on and he's a righty also. 

31 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

If Plan A was Marleau then getting Perron would be a logical Plan B especially if Vegas retains some salary. Perron doesn't address our lack of speed but it might be our best trade option that doesn't involve moving a key asset. Grigorenko signed in the KHL so Vanek is the only available FA that I would take a flier on and he's a righty also. 

Is Grigorenko to CSKA Moscow a done deal? There's a guy on Twitter named Igor Eronko (a must follow for Russian player news) who tweeted yesterday that the TSN story was premature and that Grigorenko had two offers from NHL teams he was still considering. Haven't seen an update yet.

2 people like this

18 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Is Grigorenko to CSKA Moscow a done deal? There's a guy on Twitter named Igor Eronko (a must follow for Russian player news) who tweeted yesterday that the TSN story was premature and that Grigorenko had two offers from NHL teams he was still considering. Haven't seen an update yet.

I was going off of the TSN article yesterday that said he had actually signed a 3-year deal in the KHL, not that he was going to reportedly sign. I wouldn't mind taking a Yakupov-like deal for him but it seems highly unlikely.

Mikhail Grigorenko has signed a 3 year deal with CSKA Moscow. #Avs

— Aivis Kalniņš (@A_Kalnins) July 3, 2017

Grigorenko is fun to say. That's about all he's good for in the NHL. Bust.

3 hours ago, ike-1 said:

Grigorenko is fun to say. That's about all he's good for in the NHL. Bust.

If Yakupov is still in the league then there is still hope for Grigorenko lol. The fact that we were even mentioning him to fill a legitimate need says more about our lack of forward depth/NHL-ready prospects than anything else. At this point, I'm praying that either Sideroff, Kopacka, Kossila, Tropp or Kerdiles have magically transformed into 20+ NHL goal scorers. If Murray doesn't make any more moves this offseason (I'd be surprised if he did) then he's probably praying also. I don't want the vibe to be that we have to get into the playoffs because of a weak division, I want us to be a legit Cup contender.

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

What if Plan B is James Neal who Vegas got from the Preds? He's 29 and is listed to play both wings. I know there is lots of hate here. 

11 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

What if Plan B is James Neal who Vegas got from the Preds? He's 29 and is listed to play both wings. I know there is lots of hate here

you can say that again.

1 person likes this