The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadowduck

Anaheim signs goaltender Reto Berra

My buddy just sent  me a text  saying the Ducks have signed Reto Berra to a one way contract.  Is Gibby about to get traded? Many poundits were surprised that Miller was prepared to become a backup when he signed with the Ducks. But If Gibby is moved it makes sense now.

The only info I could find at this point. Main story is is Swiss.

Some corroboration in this one. https://www.fanragsports.com/news/report-reto-berra-returning-nhl-ducks/

EliteProspects has him listed in SD. Cap Friendly has the Gulls slotted in on his individual page.

Also, if anyone can read French, his NLA club has details of the departure.

https://www.gotteron.ch/news/detail/reto-berra-signe-en-nhl-pour-une-saison-3104.html

That's interesting talk.  But... considering what Bern went for, if we were considering trading Gibby, we'd have locked in both Bern and Miller when we had the chance.

It's official.

21 minutes ago, wataduk said:

Any relation to Yogi?

If only.

On 7/5/2017 at 7:47 AM, Shadowduck said:

My buddy just sent  me a text  saying the Ducks have signed Reto Berra to a one way contract.  Is Gibby about to get traded? Many poundits were surprised that Miller was prepared to become a backup when he signed with the Ducks. But If Gibby is moved it makes sense now.

The only info I could find at this point. Main story is is Swiss.

:lmao:

Come on. No one said that ever.

7 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

:lmao:

Come on. No one said that ever.

Many pundits were surprised that Miller was prepared to become a backup when he signed with the Ducks.

NHL Radio's "The Powerplay" was  speculating that very thought  last Friday ahead of the July 1st free agency as the Rumors of Miller signing with Anaheim were circulating. 

But If Gibby is moved it makes sense now.

You misread this part. That was me saying it would make sense for Miller to sign with Anaheim if he knows he will be the number one. I never claimed the pundits made that remark. How could they? They had no idea the Ducks were signing a third goalie on a one way contract  

As of this moment Berra shows that he is assigned to the Ducks not the Gulls per Capfriendly. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/ducks

I think its the wrong move give Gibson away.

he'll still make steps to be a better goalie and if we run with Miller and Berra, we lost a lot of future in the net. Berra I don't believe he's a Nr. 1 goalie and Miller is good but 37 years old...

its only would make sense when you have in the pipeline a good prospect goaltender..

54 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

I think its the wrong move give Gibson away.

he'll still make steps to be a better goalie and if we run with Miller and Berra, we lost a lot of future in the net. Berra I don't believe he's a Nr. 1 goalie and Miller is good but 37 years old...

its only would make sense when you have in the pipeline a good prospect goaltender..

Most likely Berra is an insurance move. Given that Gibson has already shown he is prone to injury, and Miller is long in the tooth it makes sense that Murray would want a viable option for backup in the case that either one is injured long term. It's the one way nature of Berra's contract that puzzles me.  Why not just utilize AHL goalies if that happens? Why sign a guy who has to clear waivers every time you send him down? Not only that but why did the Ducks gave a limited NMC to Miller who would be allowed to submit a list of six teams to which he would agree to be traded to? Seems odd to me.

8 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

Most likely Berra is an insurance move. Given that Gibson has already shown he is prone to injury, and Miller is long in the tooth it makes sense that Murray would want a viable option for backup in the case that either one is injured long term. It's the one way nature of Berra's contract that puzzles me.  Why not just utilize AHL goalies if that happens? Why sign a guy who has to clear waivers every time you send him down? Not only that but why did the Ducks gave a limited NMC to Miller who would be allowed to submit a list of six teams to which he would agree to be traded to? Seems odd to me.

The NMC was probably just a requirement of Miller's.  I don't see anything odd about that for him.  For a run of the mill backup goalie?  Sure, that would be a little weird.  But Miller is a former All Star and top 5 goalie who signed here because he wants to be here.  It wasn't about  the money.

As for Berra, I see him the same way I saw Enroth last year.  Only instead of paying an asset to scramble for someone in the middle of the season, Murray is taking care of it now.

I suppose it's possible that this means the Ducks are shopping Gibson, but I don't think it's necessarily leading to that.  The Ducks just have options now in case of injury.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

The NMC was probably just a requirement of Miller's.  I don't see anything odd about that for him.  For a run of the mill backup goalie?  Sure, that would be a little weird.  But Miller is a former All Star and top 5 goalie who signed here because he wants to be here.  It wasn't about  the money.

As for Berra, I see him the same way I saw Enroth last year.  Only instead of paying an asset to scramble for someone in the middle of the season, Murray is taking care of it now.

I suppose it's possible that this means the Ducks are shopping Gibson, but I don't think it's necessarily leading to that.  The Ducks just have options now in case of injury.

AGREE -I believe that Miller really wants to be in the LA area to be with his wife and son - so his only choices would be the Queens or Ducks. If he couldn't get either he would be asking for a lot more money ( and probably get it ). Family stability is IMPORTANT - especially as we get older. I imagine this will be his last contract. 

23 minutes ago, DUCKSDOC said:

AGREE -I believe that Miller really wants to be in the LA area to be with his wife and son - so his only choices would be the Queens or Ducks. If he couldn't get either he would be asking for a lot more money ( and probably get it ). Family stability is IMPORTANT - especially as we get older. I imagine this will be his last contract. 

More of a reason why Gibby won't be on the market. Miller is getting up there in age. If this is his last contract, we won't trade away a young goalie with talent, but also room for growth.

Gibson (and anybody without an NTC/NMC) is available for the right return.  A first line winger or center with good contract terms.   Might be worth a look.