The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BiolaRunner

Is It October Yet?

I can't wait for the season to start. I'd watch baseball, but my wife can only handle an inning or 2 before she wants to watch something else. 

Luckily, she loves hockey.

It is not October yet.  Today's date is: 7/11/2017.  Definitely looking forward to hockey in October, though.  Have a good one. 

Yeah. No hockey no fun. It's still July. Duh.

I'm torn between wanting to have a good summer and wanting September to begin with all it's training camps and stuff.

28 minutes ago, duck123 said:

It is not October yet.  Today's date is: 7/11/2017.  Definitely looking forward to hockey in October, though.  Have a good one. 

Oh hey! Free Slurpee Day! Not Ducks hockey, but it's something

I've been playing NHL 17 a lot the last couple of weeks. Obviously I've had enough of a hockey break already.

I'm currently in the Finals against the Rangers up 2-0. Gibson is a beast and Lundqvist is a choker. LOL.

Utterly restless during offseason. Don't really follow any other sports the way I do hockey. Thank goodness for rookie camp, training camp and preseason. Gets a little closer a little sooner when those are accounted for.

5 hours ago, Mooseduck said:

Be patient....off season is time of rest and hope...No news is good news for our Ducks right now.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Thanks Moose.

On 11/07/2017 at 5:45 PM, nieder said:

I've been playing NHL 17 a lot the last couple of weeks. Obviously I've had enough of a hockey break already.

I'm currently in the Finals against the Rangers up 2-0. Gibson is a beast and Lundqvist is a choker. LOL.

I'm doing that thing where you take over a really bad team and try building them from the ground up. I'm two years into managing New Jersey as GM Scott Niedermayer (forgive me lol) and they've won 25 games both times. I have a really solid core going forward built around Seth Jones, Barkov & a fake 6'7" 5* potential Russian d-man + the first overall pick in the next draft. Sounds pretty boring honestly but the Ducks are one win away from repeating as Stanley Cup champions. In the first year they were an 8th seed that came back from an 0-3 deficit in the conference finals to top the Kings and beat the Red Wings(lol) in the finals after going down 3-1.. This year? They're an 8th seed that swept the Kings in the conference finals and currently hold a 3-0 lead over the Red Wings. My Devils team could literally lose every single game 7-0 from here on out and this would still be the greatest franchise mode I've ever played.

19 hours ago, Drake12 said:

Some updates on #'s. Beaks 2-->3, Berra #1, Miller #30, Kase #25, Monty #26, Oleksy #43, Grant #38, Rasmussen #22.

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/roster

Thought Vats might swap to #44 now that Nate is gone, I'm pretty sure that was Vats number before he joined the Ducks.

Still waiting on Hampus to choose a real number.

4 hours ago, nieder said:

Thought Vats might swap to #44 now that Nate is gone, I'm pretty sure that was Vats number before he joined the Ducks.

Still waiting on Hampus to choose a real number.

IIRC, he wore #44 in Finland because Kimmo Timonen was his favorite player. I believe he wore #9 in Norfolk (no idea why), but he then wore #45 in 2012-13 and 2013-14 because Souray had #44. Thompson then arrived for the 2014-15 season and took the number after it became pretty clear Souray's career was done. After 5 NHL seasons, an Olympics, and a World Cup of Hockey wearing #45, I hope Sami keeps it. I'm good with Hampus wearing #47 too, especially with Vats and Manson also rocking numbers in the 40s. The only jersey number I really dislike is Rakell's #67. Only guys who wear bath slippers in public to formal events wear numbers like that....

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

IIRC, he wore #44 in Finland because Kimmo Timonen was his favorite player. I believe he wore #9 in Norfolk (no idea why), but he then wore #45 in 2012-13 and 2013-14 because Souray had #44. Thompson then arrived for the 2014-15 season and took the number after it became pretty clear Souray's career was done. After 5 NHL seasons, an Olympics, and a World Cup of Hockey wearing #45, I hope Sami keeps it. I'm good with Hampus wearing #47 too, especially with Vats and Manson also rocking numbers in the 40s. The only jersey number I really dislike is Rakell's #67. Only guys who wear bath slippers in public to formal events wear numbers like that....

And forgets their socks!

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I have the same problem with Rakell's 67 and Lindholm's 47 as I did with Scott Niedermayer's 27... but I love Vatanen's 45 and would hate to see him change.

1 hour ago, ZTHER said:

I have the same problem with Rakell's 67 and Lindholm's 47 as I did with Scott Niedermayer's 27... but I love Vatanen's 45 and would hate to see him change.

I could live with all the stupid rookie number holdovers on the team if Lindholm just switched to 5 already.. If he insists on keeping it high, make him change it to 77 and see if he develops an offensive game to go with his skillset.

Rakell's 67 is also gross but hey, lol Leafs lol right? I'd much rather see him in 11/12/13 though. 

55 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

I could live with all the stupid rookie number holdovers on the team if Lindholm just switched to 5 already.. If he insists on keeping it high, make him change it to 77 and see if he develops an offensive game to go with his skillset.

Rakell's 67 is also gross but hey, lol Leafs lol right? I'd much rather see him in 11/12/13 though. 

Now that we know Rakell can't pass the eye test on sensibility, #67 makes sense. It's just... Why?

Why does anyone care what numbers players have?  It's just a number on a jersey so we can attribute statistics to the correct players.  It means literally nothing beyond that.  If you like Rakell, get a Rakell jersey.  Who cares that the number on it is 67? 

I really am baffled by this.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Why does anyone care what numbers players have?  It's just a number on a jersey so we can attribute statistics to the correct players.  It means literally nothing beyond that.  If you like Rakell, get a Rakell jersey.  Who cares that the number on it is 67? 

I really am baffled by this.

It gives us something to debate during the offseason and squabble about as we tend to do. 

As long as the boys play well, I don't particularly care what number they wear. With the proviso that certain numbers have special meaning to this team, and this team only. Such as 9, 24, 27, and 35.

6 hours ago, Drake12 said:

It gives us something to debate during the offseason and squabble about as we tend to do. 

As long as the boys play well, I don't particularly care what number they wear. With the proviso that certain numbers have special meaning to this team, and this team only. Such as 9, 24, 27, and 35.

To be fair, it happens quite a bit in season too. But really it's nothing more than gripping about petty inconsequential stuff we have no control over. For instance numbers, giving NMC's, "why the frick didn't he make a line change!"

It's aesthetic thing. Some care, some don't. As an example, don't know what Zther has against #27, but I still wear it with the pride and dignity it deserves. 

13 hours ago, poum said:

To be fair, it happens quite a bit in season too. But really it's nothing more than gripping about petty inconsequential stuff we have no control over. For instance numbers, giving NMC's, "why the frick didn't he make a line change!"

It's aesthetic thing. Some care, some don't. As an example, don't know what Zther has against #27, but I still wear it with the pride and dignity it deserves. 

It's blasphemy. I wear #27 in my beer league team. Come to think of it, that probably means I don't wear it with any dignity.

21 hours ago, Drake12 said:

How about #8, and #20 (Rucchin).....com to think of it, pretty much every Duck's uniform number has a meaning to me because when someone is on our team, they are OUR GUYS.  Never changes.

15 hours ago, poum said:

I'm not much of one for aesthetics.  As long as the uniforms aren't egregiously ugly (see Predators, Nashville), I don't really care much about the uniforms (although I like teams to stick to a color scheme). And the numbers on the back of the jerseys are just numbers.  I enjoy it when a particular number becomes indelibly linked to a particular player, like the #8 and Selanne, but I would have felt that way no matter what number Selanne had picked.  I just don't get why it bothers people that Lindholm wears 47.  It's no different than 8 from any meaningful standpoint.  

But I guess it's the offseason and there's not really anything else to talk about.

4 hours ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

How about #8, and #20 (Rucchin).....com to think of it, pretty much every Duck's uniform number has a meaning to me because when someone is on our team, they are OUR GUYS.  Never changes.

Eight has massive meaning, but no one's going to wear it again, unlike the others I've mentioned.

On 7/28/2017 at 9:37 AM, gorbachav5 said:

I'm not much of one for aesthetics.  As long as the uniforms aren't egregiously ugly (see Predators, Nashville), I don't really care much about the uniforms (although I like teams to stick to a color scheme). And the numbers on the back of the jerseys are just numbers.  I enjoy it when a particular number becomes indelibly linked to a particular player, like the #8 and Selanne, but I would have felt that way no matter what number Selanne had picked.  I just don't get why it bothers people that Lindholm wears 47.  It's no different than 8 from any meaningful standpoint.  

But I guess it's the offseason and there's not really anything else to talk about.

I'm essentially on the same page as you.  It's all nict picking nonsense. It's the players who choose their numbers. 

For my mustard damaged eyes, the bigger numbers take up a ton of space on the back of a sweater and make it tougher to read right off the bat. Our orange sweaters in particular are pretty much unreadable from a distance unless it's a single digit number. That and some numbers just look terrible at the end of the day. It's not a big deal at all of course but I'm petty like that. Numbers in the 50s are the worst at both for me and we don't have too many of them so I'll be alright lol.

There's a great twitter conversation going on with the guys who have commentated on MotoGP for a decade or more - they think all their numbers as riders.  So, if their ATM pin is 4627, in their head they think Valentino (46) Stoner (27).

For us, 4727 would be Hampus Niedermayer.  

I seem to remember Rakell saying he is not changing his number because he would feel bad for all the fans who already have bought his jersey

It's August. The tail-end of the best two months each year to talk about all things hockey. And while everyone is talking about how Edmonton now has a 21-million 1-2 center punch around their neck now, I would like to sing praises to Bob. Because he did good. Look at the attached picture, it is beautiful: we have the top-six locked up for the foreseeable future, Silf most likely getting resigned, Eaves can be dumped or even bought out if oft-injured. The top-two d-men are also locked up for good. Though some might argue if Vatanen is a top-three member, I have hopes for him rebounding and he can be re-signed yet (even traded this year, the next two the NTC is modified). Goalies are signed for at least two years as well - nothing crazy, if Gibson is glass we can move on, and we're not on board with Miller until his Jagr years.

I say, Well Done, Bob! Top-six F, Top-three D, and two solid G locked up for 2 seasons at least. All we have to do is replace the spare parts. Maybe get a solid 3C and 4D (MANSON). The rest can be filled with his favorite bargain bin deals and rookies. And we have some really good rookies. This team (C) is well-managed :)

2017-08-17_14-30-51.png

On 8/17/2017 at 7:41 AM, Aksun said:

It's August. The tail-end of the best two months each year to talk about all things hockey. And while everyone is talking about how Edmonton now has a 21-million 1-2 center punch around their neck now, I would like to sing praises to Bob. Because he did good. Look at the attached picture, it is beautiful: we have the top-six locked up for the foreseeable future, Silf most likely getting resigned, Eaves can be dumped or even bought out if oft-injured. The top-two d-men are also locked up for good. Though some might argue if Vatanen is a top-three member, I have hopes for him rebounding and he can be re-signed yet (even traded this year, the next two the NTC is modified). Goalies are signed for at least two years as well - nothing crazy, if Gibson is glass we can move on, and we're not on board with Miller until his Jagr years.

I say, Well Done, Bob! Top-six F, Top-three D, and two solid G locked up for 2 seasons at least. All we have to do is replace the spare parts. Maybe get a solid 3C and 4D (MANSON). The rest can be filled with his favorite bargain bin deals and rookies. And we have some really good rookies. This team (C) is well-managed :)

2017-08-17_14-30-51.png

Thank you for the chart Aksun...This Summer nothing should surprise us since the Ducks sign one important player and Re-sign a Key player but focus on Depth. some expect Ducks to be big Movers and shakers but we know our team Well and their M.O.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

The ice inside The Pond has been painted so we're getting close! Pointless offseason nitpicking chapter 12 here but I kinda wish they'd go back to painting centre ice in that old school style where there's two logos on each half facing opposite directions and an actual pattern inside the red line. Not sure how it would look now with our new branding but it looked really cool back in the late 90s with the Mighty Ducks logo. I think Montreal is the only team that still does that with their ice.