duck123

Is Sam Steel ready for the NHL?

49 posts in this topic

Sam Steel was named the WHL player of this year this past season, after winning the WHL scoring title with 50 goals and 81 assists in 66 games.  That is 131 points!  I don't think there is anything left for him to prove at the WHL level.  But...do you think he is ready for the NHL? 

On many other teams, he'd be playing next year.  For instance, if he was in the Toronto system or the Calgary system, I think he'd make their team out of training camp.  But for a team like the Ducks, who are expected to compete for the Cup, might be tougher for him. 

I am hoping he makes the team and centers our third line.  Can you imagine the nightmare our team could potentially be if Steel is somehow able to translate his offensive skills to the big league?  Not only would teams have to account for one of the top lines in the league, with Rakell, Getzlaf, and Eaves, and one of the best shutdown lines in the league with Cogliano, Kesler, and Silfverberg, but now they would have to deal with a third line that is also pretty lethal.  Ritchie played great last season and stepped it up even more in the playoffs.  I think he'll be great this next season and will be looking to score 20+ goals for the first time in his career.  The thing with Perry we have to remember is that before last season he was always on a line that had a center that was a very good playmaker.  Nothing to take away from Vermette, but he is known for his awesome faceoff skills--not for his playmaking skills.  Maybe Steel is the type of playmaking center (81 assists last season, in 66 games) Perry needs to get back on track.  I think a line of Ritchie, Steel, and Perry seems pretty awesome.  I mean, what better players for Steel to start his career with?  Would seem like the "perfect storm" for him.  This line has so much potential, in my opinion, that it would not surprise me if they were competing to be out first line by the time the season is done. 

Then, the dream signing would be to sign Shane Doan to play on our fourth line with a teammate he had success with in the past--Vermette.  Put Ondrej Kase or Max Jones on a line with Vermette and Doan, and our team might be the best offensive team in the league next year.

Anyways, back to Steel.  Think he's ready?  I think he is and hope he makes the team.  What say you?  Think he will make the team?  We...shall...see...  :)  GO DUCKS! 

Edited by duck123

It would be the best thing for the Ducks if he plays his way onto the team, but I doubt he's ready.  It's a huge leap from the WHL to the NHL, and by all accounts, he doesn't have the size yet to make that leap.

2 people like this

26 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

It would be the best thing for the Ducks if he plays his way onto the team, but I doubt he's ready.  It's a huge leap from the WHL to the NHL, and by all accounts, he doesn't have the size yet to make that leap.

From the highlights they showed from his Rookie camp this summer, he looked like he was flying on the ice. To be completely honest, he looked like he was as fast as Crosby.  (Don't worry, I won't call him a poor man's Crosby.  Lol.)  I am guessing he is working with a trainer who has told him how much muscle he needs to add before training camp, to have a chance to make the team--and that he will do what he needs to in order to meet that goal.  Should be a fun competition in September...

Edited by duck123

I think he plays with the Gulls next season. Maybe a call up or 2. Biggest issue from all that has been talked about already is his size

What exactly are the rules around Junior players at the AHL? My understanding was that Steel and Jones could only play in either the NHL or go back to their Junior teams. Is the AHL even an option?

Size and experience, he will get destroyed in the NHL. Need him to prove himself with the Gulls first, carry them like a Getzlaf. Then we'll talk.

34 minutes ago, nieder said:

What exactly are the rules around Junior players at the AHL? My understanding was that Steel and Jones could only play in either the NHL or go back to their Junior teams. Is the AHL even an option?

They have to be 18 by September 15 of that season

29 minutes ago, BiolaRunner said:

I was not aware Steel and Jones could play in the AHL.  Thought it was either NHL or juniors for them next season.  If they are eligible for the AHL, I would not be opposed at all for them starting off there and then joining the team at some point in the regular season--like Getzlaf and Perry did.

However, something to keep in mind--Kesler is going to likely miss the start of the season.  So, we might need Steel on the team to play one of the center positions--at least until Kesler is back.  We'll see.  GO DUCKS!

Edited by duck123

26 minutes ago, duck123 said:

I was not aware Steel and Jones could play in the AHL.  Thought it was either NHL or juniors for them next season.  If they are eligible for the AHL, I would not be opposed at all for them starting off there and then joining the team at some point in the regular season--like Getzlaf and Perry did.

However, something to keep in mind--Kesler is going to likely miss the start of the season.  So, we might need Steel on the team to play one of the center positions--at least until Kesler is back.  We'll see.  GO DUCKS!

They can't. Your original thought was correct. There's an agreement between the AHL and CHL that CHL players have to turn 20 before they can move on to the AHL. The only exception is that a player can join an AHL roster after the CHL season is over. So since Jones and Steel turn 20 in February, they can't start the season in San Diego. It's either the NHL or CHL for them.

Edit: There's also an exception to the 20-year-old rule if a player has completed 4 years of Major Juniors, but this is extremely rare for 19-year-olds to have already done this. Interestingly though, Sam Steel has three full years of Major Juniors experience + 5 games of a 4th year. I don't know how many games it takes to qualify as a "year" of Major Juniors, but my guess would be that more than 5 games are needed.

Edited by dtsdlaw
4 people like this

20 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

They can't. Your original thought was correct. There's an agreement between the AHL and CHL that CHL players have to turn 20 before they can move on to the AHL. The only exception is that a player can join an AHL roster after the CHL season is over. So since Jones and Steel turn 20 in February, they can't start the season in San Diego. It's either the NHL or CHL for them.

Edit: There's also an exception to the 20-year-old rule if a player has completed 4 years of Major Juniors, but this is extremely rare for 19-year-olds to have already done this. Interestingly though, Sam Steel has three full years of Major Juniors experience + 5 games of a 4th year. I don't know how many games it takes to qualify as a "year" of Major Juniors, but my guess would be that more than 5 games are needed.

http://theahl.com/faq

Don't know if being on a junior team effects the rule, but the AHL website has the minimum age as 18

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, BiolaRunner said:

http://theahl.com/faq

Don't know if being on a junior team effects the rule, but the AHL website has the minimum age as 18

Here's a great article on the agreement: AHL-CHL Agreement

3 people like this

An even better article here on the Flyers page at NHL.com.

3 people like this

32 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Thanks for the explanation.  Well, with Steel seeming to have outgrown the WHL now, I wonder if the Ducks will feel keeping him with the big club will better for his development.  Either that, or he spends another year in the WHL, then plays with the Gulls next season--to start--and they bring him along slowly. 

Guess it all depends on how his training camp goes.  For instance, Ducks coaches were disappointed last summer because they expected Shea Theodore to have a great camp and make the team--but he ended up not being impressive in their minds and so did not make the team.  Maybe the coaches aren't expecting Steel to make the team this year--but the opposite will happen with what happened with Theodore--and Steel will surprise the coaches with a great camp, and so will make the team.  We shall see.

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, duck123 said:

Thanks for the explanation.  Well, with Steel seeming to have outgrown the WHL now, I wonder if the Ducks will feel keeping him with the big club will better for his development.  Either that, or he spends another year in the WHL, then plays with the Gulls next season--to start--and they bring him along slowly. 

Guess it all depends on how his training camp goes.  For instance, Ducks coaches were disappointed last summer because they expected Shea Theodore to have a great camp and make the team--but he ended up not being impressive in their minds and so did not make the team.  Maybe the coaches aren't expecting Steel to make the team this year--but the opposite will happen with what happened with Theodore--and Steel will surprise the coaches with a great camp, and so will make the team.  We shall see.

This is the issue. The organization surely has a long-term approach in mind for both Steel and Jones to maximize their talents at the NHL level. They may be ready to play in the NHL, but maybe only ready to play 7-10 minutes and not in any important situations (not that RC would ever use rookies in important situations anyway). So is it beneficial to them to play 7-10 sheltered minutes against 3rd and 4th liners at the NHL level, with the occasional healthy scratch as well? Or does it make more sense for them to play 15-20 minutes in all situations at the junior level.

I don't have an argument either way, but t\here are some interesting comments in that second article I linked from Hextall:

For his part, though, Flyers general manager Ron Hextall is not a big proponent of this method of development. At the Flyers’ 2015 Development Camp, the GM said that he is not wild about the idea of top prospects being used sparingly in the NHL nor is he inclined to give a player a nine-game NHL trial with the intention of sending the player back to his junior team thereafter. Only when the player is ready to compete for a full-time job will he be introduced into the Flyers lineup.

“I don't want them playing seven minutes a night, and I don't want them sitting out (as a healthy scratch),” Hextall said. “I want them playing.”

Hextall does not rule out the possibility of young players earning NHL jobs out of training camp “if they knock our socks off,” but he sets the bar very high. The young players must outplay – and not just hold their own – against veterans in training camp and in preseason games. That is because veterans are typically focused on recovering their timing and game legs before the season. Once the season begins, the pace and intensity pick up a full notch.

From what we've seen of Bob and Randy, they rather enjoy young players getting a 9-game cup of coffee early in the season. But long term, you get the feeling that their approach is the same as Hextall's in that they'd rather wait another year on a player unless that player has genuinely out-played a veteran for a spot..

Edited by dtsdlaw
1 person likes this

Nice insight on the way the Flyers general manager handles things, and comparing that to Ducks brass.  You are likely correct.  Only way maybe Steel and/or Jones stick with the team is if not only they produce offensively in the pre-season games they play in--but produce in the first 9 games of the regular season.  If they are producing in those first 9 games and doing well--or at least one of them is--it would be difficult to return them to Juniors.  Will be very interesting to see if they are ready for the NHL.  If they look like they aren't, I'd personally want to see them go back to Juniors.  Because, it does make more sense for them to be playing in all situations in Juniors, playing lots of minutes, versus playing very little in the NHL.  We'll see if they are ready for a big role in the NHL.  I know it's possible for a player to make the jump to the NHL and have success right away--such as with Matthews scoring 40 goals last season in his first year-at 18 years old.  We'll what happens with the Ducks prospects.  Hoping at least one of them surprises and makes the team.

Edited by duck123

24 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

This is the issue. The organization surely has a long-term approach in mind for both Steel and Jones to maximize their talents at the NHL level. They may be ready to play in the NHL, but maybe only ready to play 7-10 minutes and not in any important situations (not that RC would ever use rookies in important situations anyway). So is it beneficial to them to play 7-10 sheltered minutes against 3rd and 4th liners at the NHL level, with the occasional healthy scratch as well? Or does it make more sense for them to play 15-20 minutes in all situations at the junior level.

I don't have an argument either way, but t\here are some interesting comments in that second article I linked from Hextall:

From what we've seen of Bob and Randy, they rather enjoy young players getting a 9-game cup of coffee early in the season. But long term, you get the feeling that their approach is the same as Hextall's in that they'd rather wait another year on a player unless that player has genuinely out-played a veteran for a spot..

This makes the most sense to me. Unless Steel and/or Jones are so undeniably good that they give the team no choice but to make them regulars then they should develop as much as possible in Juniors and then go to San Diego when they are able to. They'll both probably get some time in the NHL this season, especially if there are injuries, but the team won't want to burn a year on their rookie deals by giving them more than 9 games if they can't handle the NHL game. It's quite a long shot that they are ready for it now, especially Steel, who plays center. Besides, there will be more roster spots for them in the 2018-2019 season.

1 person likes this

Man it'd be nice if we could season them at the Gulls a bit this season.  Any chance that can happen after Feb?

3 hours ago, BiolaRunner said:

Unless they revised the agreement, they have to turn 20 by January 1st of the season.  Since Steel and Jones won't be 20 until February, neither is eligible to play in the AHL next season until their junior season has concluded.

2 people like this

48 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Man it'd be nice if we could season them at the Gulls a bit this season.  Any chance that can happen after Feb?

Only once their junior season is done.  I don't know about Jones' team, but Steel's will be in the playoffs, so it's unlikely he'll be able to play in the AHL for any length of time.  

I would love nothing more than for Steel to blow everyone away at camp and earn a roster spot playing 12 - 14 minutes a night.  But the chances of that are slim, and I hope that the Ducks don't screw up his development by rushing him.

3 people like this

I don't want to harp on about Steel's size, but it is an issue. Especially for a center. I'm sure he is bulking up during the off-season as much as he can. Let's just hope he's bulking up his muscles and not just going to Five Guys with Ritchie.

Pre-season games are usually a waste of time overall but in Steel's case the games could actually be pretty helpful to see how he fares against the big boys.

Edited by nieder
2 people like this

I think he may be ready,but BM has said that they will be patient with him if I remember correctly. So he might be a call up at some point next season, but as evidenced by the Rasmussen signing, they certainly aren't counting on Steel. On your point about Vermette, were we watching the same Vermette last season? He wasn't very good at all, and there's no way he will reach 20 goals. 12-15 could be reachable but Vermette would make a very good 4th line center. I have a good feeling about Steel on that 3rd line though, and if his play making translates, Perry's game would be elevated.

Eaves-Getz-Rak

Cogs-Kes-Silf

Ritchie-Steel-Perry

Kerdiles/rasmussen/wagner-Vermette-Kase

I really like these lines,especially if Steel's talent translates. I'm still a believer that we should either trade for Perron or sign Vanek. Those 40-50 extra points will go a long way on a team that might be starving for goals at times. 

1 person likes this

I appreciate your optimism duck123 but I think you're ahead of things. I haven't seen Steel play but from what I've read he's still pretty small. He dominated the WHL but I'm sorry to say... That can be meaningless. Look no further than our very own Emerson Etem. If I'm not mistaken he was lighting it up together with linden vey & hunter shinkaruk. Neither of these guys succeeded at the NHL level. Okay shinkaruk is still young but I don't expect he'll turn out to be a top 6'er and he's too small to be a grinder.  I also believe the 3 of them were at some point in their careers a part of the canucks organization :huh:

Thing is we don't want to rush his development. It's hard because he has nothing left to prove in the WHL. We're all hungry for a young guy to step in and fill an important role. We want to win The Cup and then we're gonna need young cheap talent. But I'm afraid it's still early. And I understand Hextall when he says he wants his young guys to play. Knowing this organization they feel the same way.
Remember Getz & Perry went back to Portland after making their debuts. Ryan went back and forth a few times. And we all know how talented those guys are.

For Steel to make the team out of training camp would be pretty amazing. I don't believe it but if he does I'll gladly eat my words while you all point at me and laugh.  

3 people like this

18&19 years old NA skaters in the NHL in recent times:

Crosby *18* 2005-2006 (2x qmjhl)

PStatsny *19* 2006-2007 (2x ushl 2x ncaa)

Jack Johnson *19* 2006-2007 (2x ncaa)

Vlasic *19* 2006-2007 (3x qmjhl)

Letang *19* 2006-2007 (3x qmjhl)

Jordan Staal *18* 2006-2007 (2x ohl)

Kessel *18* 2006-2007 (1x ncaa)

Erik Johnson *19* 2007-2008 (1x ncaa)

Toews *19* 2007-2008 (2x ncaa)

Okposo *19* 2007-2008 (1x ushl 2x ncaa)

Giroux *19* 2007-2008 (3x qmjhl) - was 18 year old while playing in the AHL 2006-2007

Lucic *19* 2007-2008 (3x whl)

Gagner *18* 2007-2008 (1x ushl 1x ohl)

Perron *18* 2007-2008 (1x qmjhl)

Turris *18* 2007-2008 (2x bchl 1x ncaa)

Kane *18-19 2007-2008 (1x ohl)

Brandon Sutter *19* 2008-2009 (4x whl)

Stamkos *18* 2008-2009 (2x ohl)

Bogosian *18* 2008-2009 (2x ohl)

Pietrangelo *18-19* 2008-2009 (3x ohl)

Doughty *18-19* 2008-2009 (3x ohl)

LSchenn *18-19* 2008-2009 (3x whl)

Myers *19* 2009-2010 (4x whl)

Del Zotto *19* 2009-2010 (4x ohl)

Carlson *19-20* 2009-2010 (2x ushl 1x ohl)

EKane *18* 2009-2010 (3x whl)

BSchenn *18* 2009-2010 (3x whl)

RO'Reilly *18-19 2009-2010 (2x ohl)

Duchene *18-19* 2009-2010 (2x ohl)

Tavares *19*  2009-2010 (4x ohl)

Kadri *19* 2009-2010 (4x ohl)

Leddy *19-20* 2010-2011 (1x ncaa)

KPalmieri *19-20* 2010-2011 (1x ncaa)

Skinner *18* 2010-2011 (2x ohl)

Fowler *18-19 2010-2011 (1x ohl)

Seguin *18-19 2010-2011 (2x ohl)

Hall *19* 2010-2011 (3x ohl)

Johansen *19* 2011-2012 (1x bchl 2x whl)

Smith-Pelly *19* 2011-2012 (3x ohl)

Schwarz *19* 2011-2012 (1x ushl 2x ncaa)

Connolly *19* 2011-2012 (4x whl)

Faulk *19-20* 2011-2012 (1x ncaa) - was 19 year old when playing in the AHL play-offs

Zucker *19-20* 2011-2012 (2x ncaa)

Gudbransson *19-20* 2011-2012 (3x ohl)

Nugent-Hopkins *18* 2011-2012 (3x whl)

Scheifele *18-19 2012-2013 (3x ohl)

Dougie Hamilton *19* 2012-2013 (4x ohl)

Huberdeau *19* 2012-2013 (4x qmjhl)

Ryan Murphy *19* 2012-2013 (4x ohl)

JTMiller *19-20*  2012-2013 (1x ushl 1x ohl)

Couturier *19-20* 2012-2013 (3x qmjhl)

Saad *19-20* 2011-2012 (1x ushl 2x ohl)

Beaulieu *19-20* 2012-2013 (4x qmjhl)

Galchenyuk *18-19* 2012-2013 (3x ohl)

Tom Wilson *19* 2012-2013 in the play-offs (3x ohl)

Dumba *19*  2013-2014 - playd as an 18 year old in the ahl (4x whl)

Morgan Rielly *19* 2013-2014 - playd as an 18 year old in the ahl (3x whl)

Cody Ceci *19-20* 2013-2014 - played as an 18 year old in the ahl (4x ohl)

Yakupov *19-20* 2012-2013 (2x ohl)

MacKinnon *18* 2013-2014 (2x qmjhl)

Seth Jones *19* 2013-2014 (1x ushl 1 whl)

Monahan *19* 2013-2014 (3x ohl)

Drouin *19-20* 2014-2015 (3x qmjhl)

Darnell Nurse *19-20* 2014-2015 (4x ohl)

Lazar *19-20* 2014-2015 (4x whl)

Bo Horvat *19-20*  2014-2015 (3x ohl)

Ekblad *18* 2014-2015 (3x ohl)

Sam Bennett *18* 2014-2015 - 1 game reg+play-offs (3x ohl)

Sam Reinhart *18-19*  2014-2015 (4x whl)

Larkin *19* 2015-2016 - playd as an 18 year old in the ahl play-offs (1x ushl 1x ncaa)

Jake Virtanen *19* 2015-2016 (4x whl)

Jared McCann *19* 2015-2016 (3x ohl)

Milano *19* 2015-2016 - playd as an 18 and 19 year old in the ahl (1x ushl 1 ohl)

Nick Ritchie *19-20* 2015-2016 (4x ohl)

Fabbri *19-20* 2015-2016 (3x ohl)

McDavid *18* 2015-2016 (3x ohl)

Eichel *18-19* 2015-2016 (2x ushl 1 ncaa)

Hanifin *18-19* 2015-2016 (1x ushl 1x ncaa)

Werenski *19* 2016-2017 (1x ushl 2x ncaa)

Dylan Strome *19* 2016-2017 (3x ohl)

Marner *19* 2016-2017 (3x ohl)

Anthony Beauvillier *19* 2016-2017 (3x qmjhl)

Lawson Crouse *19* 2016-2017 (3x ohl)

Konecny *19* 2016-2017 (3x ohl)

Clayton Keller *18* 2016-2017 (2x ushl 1x ncaa)

Tkatchuk *18-19* 2016-2017 (2x ushl 1 ohl)

Matthews *19* 2016-2017 (2x ushl 1x nla)

Chychrun *19* 2016-2017 (2x ohl)

Tyson Jost *19* 2016-2017 (3x bchl 1x ncaa)

McAvoy *19* 2016-2017 (2x ushl 2x ncaa)

Edited by NiemiWillRise
2 people like this

30 minutes ago, NiemiWillRise said:

Nick Ritchie *19-20* 2015-2016 (4x ohl)

Didn't fatboywannaslim spend a bunch of time with the Gulls? Is this list relevant for straight jumps with no AHL bridges?

15 minutes ago, Aksun said:

Didn't fatboywannaslim spend a bunch of time with the Gulls? Is this list relevant for straight jumps with no AHL bridges?

Actually,he did play in the AHL that same season, 38 reg season games and 9 post season games

21 goals and 17 assists in 47 games with 79 p minutes for the Gulls

i dunno anything about bridges :) its just a list

Ritchie playd his first NHL game November 16th 2015,Nick was born December 5th,so he was still 19 yrs old

Ritchie playd his first AHL game October 10th 2015

Edited by NiemiWillRise

2 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I appreciate your optimism duck123 but I think you're ahead of things. I haven't seen Steel play but from what I've read he's still pretty small. He dominated the WHL but I'm sorry to say... That can be meaningless. Look no further than our very own Emerson Etem. If I'm not mistaken he was lighting it up together with linden vey & hunter shinkaruk. Neither of these guys succeeded at the NHL level. Okay shinkaruk is still young but I don't expect he'll turn out to be a top 6'er and he's too small to be a grinder.  I also believe the 3 of them were at some point in their careers a part of the canucks organization :huh:

Thing is we don't want to rush his development. It's hard because he has nothing left to prove in the WHL. We're all hungry for a young guy to step in and fill an important role. We want to win The Cup and then we're gonna need young cheap talent. But I'm afraid it's still early. And I understand Hextall when he says he wants his young guys to play. Knowing this organization they feel the same way.
Remember Getz & Perry went back to Portland after making their debuts. Ryan went back and forth a few times. And we all know how talented those guys are.

For Steel to make the team out of training camp would be pretty amazing. I don't believe it but if he does I'll gladly eat my words while you all point at me and laugh.  

I see your points.  But, I'm just hoping that even if he is not at his idea playing weight--that playing on a line with tough guys Ritchie and Perry would make playing against competition a little easier.  If teams know that if they take a run at Steel they will have to answer to Ritchie or Perry, that would be good for his game.  Maybe the safe thing to do is to send him back the WHL for 1 final year, to have him play in the AHL the year after that, and then have him make his NHL debut the year after that.  But, something is needed to help Perry get back to playing his game.  And I think having a playmaking center, like Steel, could help.  Hopefully he puts on the needed amount of muscle this off-season, and makes the team.  We shall see. 

Edited by duck123
1 person likes this

If anything, I think that list above is an indicator that it's incredibly unlikely Steel is ready.  Without checking, it seems like most of those players on that list are top 10 draft picks, and part of why they were picked in the top ten is because their skillset was such that they could succeed in the NHL at a younger age, or that they were more physically developed than their peers.  In some cases (like Ritchie), you have kids who were born in December or earlier, making them eligible for the AHL in their age 19 season and giving the team a fallback plan if the player doesn't still full time in the NHL.  Unfortunately, Steel doesn't have that option because he was born two months too late.

8 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

If anything, I think that list above is an indicator that it's incredibly unlikely Steel is ready.  Without checking, it seems like most of those players on that list are top 10 draft picks, and part of why they were picked in the top ten is because their skillset was such that they could succeed in the NHL at a younger age, or that they were more physically developed than their peers.  In some cases (like Ritchie), you have kids who were born in December or earlier, making them eligible for the AHL in their age 19 season and giving the team a fallback plan if the player doesn't still full time in the NHL.  Unfortunately, Steel doesn't have that option because he was born two months too late.

That list is kind of meaningless without context. A lot of those players made an immediate jump to the NHL because their team was desperate for immediate help. It's basically the reason Fowler began in the NHL straight away. Anaheim isn't really in that position right now though, they can afford not to rush the kid.

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

I see your points.  But, I'm just hoping that even if he is not at his idea playing weight--that playing on a line with tough guys Ritchie and Perry would make playing against competition a little easier.  If teams know that if they take a run at Steel they will have to answer to Ritchie or Perry, that would be good for his game.  Maybe the safe thing to do is to send him back the WHL for 1 final year, to have him play in the AHL the year after that, and then have him make his NHL debut the year after that.  But, something is needed to help Perry get back to playing his game.  And I think having a playmaking center, like Steel, could help.  Hopefully he puts on the needed amount of muscle this off-season, and makes the team.  We shall see. 

If the main reason for bringing Steel into the team is to give Perry a spark then I don't think it's a good enough reason....we need to be thinking long term and doing whatever is best for Steel's development. He's one of our top offensive prospects, the last thing we want to do is ruin him before he's ready.