duck123

Is Sam Steel ready for the NHL?

49 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, nieder said:

That list is kind of meaningless without context. A lot of those players made an immediate jump to the NHL because their team was desperate for immediate help. It's basically the reason Fowler began in the NHL straight away. Anaheim isn't really in that position right now though, they can afford not to rush the kid.

I guess my perspective is I think he may be ready.  The biggest reason why people say he is not ready for the NHL yet is because of his size.  However, our website lists him as 5'11", 178 pounds.  Look at the success the following players have in the NHL, who are about the same size as Steel.  Conor Sheary (Who just won the Cup with the Penguins, and often plays on the top line with Crosby), is 5'8", 175 pounds.  Patrick Kane (3 Stanley Cups and has won the Hart Trophy and Art Ross Trophy) is 5'11, 177 pounds.  Brad Marchand (Stanley Cup winner) is 5'9", 181 pounds.  Viktor Arvidsson (Who just went to Cup finals with Nashville) is 5'9", 180 pounds.  Johnny Gaudreau is 5'9", 157 pounds.  Cam Atkinson (Columbus) is 5'8", 182 pounds.  Tyler Johnson (Lightning) is 5'8", 183 pounds.  Mats Zuccarello is 5'7", 179 pounds. 

What is the one thing in common that the players above most likely share?  Their speed.  What makes them so fast?  Maybe because they weigh so much less than a lot of other NHL players, they can zoom right past them.  If they put on 10 pounds of muscle, would that slow down somebody like Kane, Sheary, Marchand, etc?  Possibly.  Maybe Steel does not need to gain more weight, because he can use his speed--helped by weighing less--to his advantage.  If the players above have had success, around the same size Steel is, maybe Steel can make the team this season at the current weight he is at.  Especially when he would have two tough guys on each wing.  (Ritchie and Perry.)  Hoping he makes the team.  We...shall...see...GO DUCKS!

Edited by duck123
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

I guess my perspective is I think he may be ready.  The biggest reason why people say he is not ready for the NHL yet is because of his size.  However, our website lists him as 5'11", 178 pounds.  Look at the success the following players have in the NHL, who are about the same size as Steel.  Conor Sheary (Who just won the Cup with the Penguins, and often plays on the top line with Crosby), is 5'8", 175 pounds.  Patrick Kane (3 Stanley Cups and has won the Hart Trophy and Art Ross Trophy) is 5'11, 177 pounds.  Brad Marchand (Stanley Cup winner) is 5'9", 181 pounds.  Viktor Arvidsson (Who just went to Cup finals with Nashville) is 5'9", 180 pounds.  Johnny Gaudreau is 5'9", 157 pounds.  Cam Atkinson (Columbus) is 5'8", 182 pounds.  Tyler Johnson (Lightning) is 5'8", 183 pounds.  Mats Zuccarello is 5'7", 179 pounds. 

What is the one thing in common that the players above most likely share?  Their speed.  What makes them so fast?  Maybe because they weigh so much less than a lot of other NHL players, they can zoom right past them.  If they put on 10 pounds of muscle, would that slow down somebody like Kane, Sheary, Marchand, etc?  Possibly.  Maybe Steel does not need to gain more weight, because he can use his speed--helped by weighing less--to his advantage.  If the players above have had success, around the same size Steel is, maybe Steel can make the team this season at the current weight he is at.  Especially when he would have two tough guys on each wing.  (Ritchie and Perry.)  Hoping he makes the team.  We...shall...see...GO DUCKS!

Forgot to mention a very important player.  Jake Guentzel (Just won Stanley Cup and often plays on the top line with Crosby), is 5'11, 180 pounds.  And you know what he did in the playoffs this year?  He scored 13 goals and had a total of 21 points!  That tied him for the most points ever scored by a rookie in playoff history.  And his 13 goals was 1 goal away from tying the most goals ever by a rookie in the playoffs.  At 180 pounds.  So, Sidney Crosby's line has Guentzel on one side (180 pounds) and Sheary on the other (175 pounds.)  Some might think they'd rather surround Crosby with players who weight 200+ pounds and are known for their grit.  But, instead, they surrounded him with players who can fly on the ice.  Would Sheary and Guentzel be as effective if they added 10-15 pounds of muscle?  Maybe not, if it took away some of their speed.

Guess my point is that not every player on the Ducks needs to weigh 221 pounds, like Getzlaf.  Pittsburgh just won their 2nd Stanley Cup in 2 years--and won it this year with 2 players on their top line who weigh 180 pounds or less.  I'm not even saying Steel should be on our top line, like Sheary and Guentzel are for Pittsburgh. I'm just saying if we put him on a 3rd line, surrounded by "tough-guys" Ritchie and Perry, I think that could potentially be one awesome line. We'll see.  GO DUCKS!

Edited by duck123
2 people like this

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

We play a different style than a lot of those teams though. If you look up and down Pittsburgh's lineup, they have a whole lot of guys who are 6' and under, and it works because of the style they play. I don't think most of their players could play in our system though. Carl Hagelin sure couldn't. So it's not just about the individual player and his abilities. It's about the team, especially how they are built and how they are coached to play.

Look, if Steel is ready to play for the Ducks, he will win a spot. If he doesn't win a spot, he's not ready to play for the Ducks. Beyond that, I'm not sure where this thread is supposed to go. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, duck123 said:

I think the main point to go along with his stature/ weight is that he also lacks needed experience to get himself out of tricky predicaments. The players listed above may be small-ish but they have the wherewithal to deal with potential on-ice dangers whereas an inexperienced player who is also small can possibly get seriously injured. These players you listed above have also honed their skill set to the NHL level over time which doesn't just happen during a measly 10 game "look period" either. 

The only way Steel gets on board this season is if he has a terrific camp and management feels that he would not be relied on heavily while also adding to the team with limited liability (more pros than con). Due to us being in a small win-now window with 2 great center men (getz and Kess) already on the team management may feel that they can roll the dice a bit and put him. You also bring up a good point about being placed on a line with a Ritchie and Perry, 2 big boys who would protect him if the going got rough. 

Edited by RobD360

dtsdlaw: Valid points. I just think Steel can be like a Patrick Kane--who is in the Western Conference and has played great since his rookie year.  Not saying he is going to be as effective-yet to be determined. But, possible.

robd360: I think he will have a terrific camp.  And having him on the team will give us 3 very awesome lines, in my opinion.  And, potential for a 4th awesome line if we sign Shane Doan to play there. 

Check out Steel's goals at the 11:47 mark and 12:00 mark in the video below.  I just happened to randomly put the curser on the You tube around the 11:35 mark and those 2 goals stood out.   Very skilled. 

1 person likes this

If Steel were a winger like Kane, I'd give him a lot better shot to make the team.  But as a center going up against the other centers in the Western Conference, he's going to get pushed around.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Look, if Steel is ready to play for the Ducks, he will win a spot. If he doesn't win a spot, he's not ready to play for the Ducks. Beyond that, I'm not sure where this thread is supposed to go. 

Pretty much this. If he's ready then great, if he's not then no big deal, we just have him play Juniors for another year. 

3 people like this

4 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

If Steel were a winger like Kane, I'd give him a lot better shot to make the team.  But as a center going up against the other centers in the Western Conference, he's going to get pushed around.

Well, Wayne Gretzky was a center and only weighed 185 pounds.  Ok.  I know.  He is Wayne Gretzky.  Lol. 

Edited by duck123

2 hours ago, duck123 said:

Well, Wayne Gretzky was a center and only weighed 185 pounds.  Ok.  I know.  He is Wayne Gretzky.  Lol. 

Even if he weren't Wayne Gretzky, the style of play is so different between then and now that it's almost a different game.  

4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Maybe move him to wing for now just as they did Rakell?

On 7/12/2017 at 0:06 PM, Fisix said:

Man it'd be nice if we could season them at the Gulls a bit this season.  Any chance that can happen after Feb?

Jones got some games in with the Gulls during their playoff run, after his London Knights were done for the year. He played pretty well; I got to watch a couple of those games. Didn't look out of place as far as size, and he has skating speed to burn. Honestly, I think he has a chance to make the roster out of camp. Not a big chance, but a chance. He's got the man size he needs, just needs to show he can play and contribute at the NHL level (no small task, of course), and there'd be no point in sending him back to London. 

2 people like this

4 hours ago, norge25 said:

Jones got some games in with the Gulls during their playoff run, after his London Knights were done for the year. He played pretty well; I got to watch a couple of those games. Didn't look out of place as far as size, and he has skating speed to burn. Honestly, I think he has a chance to make the roster out of camp. Not a big chance, but a chance. He's got the man size he needs, just needs to show he can play and contribute at the NHL level (no small task, of course), and there'd be no point in sending him back to London. 

Yeah, Jones probably has a better chance to make the team because of his size and position.  Unfortunately, the Ducks are thin at center, not wing.  I hate that Rakell is probably going to have to be moved back to center for the team to have the depth it really needs.

10 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't think it has anything to do with his position,in todays hockey...center position is very versitile position

also, many young,super talented centers has started their careers from the winger position and made the transition back

to their natural position,so if the management don't think he can play center from the get go,but see him as valuable player,

he can always start as a winger.

Edited by NiemiWillRise

No, imo he's not ready. 

No need to rush the kid. 

We'll see if he has chemistry or not playing on a line with Ritchie and Perry.  (Assuming that is where they will try him in training camp--eventually.)  If so, great.  If not, I would not be opposed to him playing 1 final year in the WHL and winning player of the year a 2nd year in a row.

Edited by duck123

Dear Lord... these two were born a few days on either side of my 21st birthday.  

2 people like this

pretty soon, my kids are going to be as old as these rookies.  that day will suck.

I remember when I reached the age of NHL rookies....until that point I was young, there was still a chance of me making it to the NHL. Hahaha

3 people like this

I don't see a reason to rush Steel. If he has an amazing camp, sure. But I don't expect him to be getting three and four point games in the preseason. Give him a season or two.