The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DucksFanInIE

Watching the Ducks on a Fire Stick

Nhl TV/ Gamecenter Live has been a trustworthy friend of mine the past 3 seasons since I've moved to Portland. Yes you have to pay for it, but the quality and reliablitlity is bar none.

I have a Roku tv setup , not sure if you can download the Nhl Gamecenter app via Firestick because I've never had one.  regardless, Good luck! 

I'm about to dump cable, but I think I'm out of luck since I live in Anaheim.  As far as I know, there's no other way for me to get the games, unless it works with Sling TV or something like that.

9 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm about to dump cable, but I think I'm out of luck since I live in Anaheim.  As far as I know, there's no other way for me to get the games, unless it works with Sling TV or something like that.

I would love to dump cable. I only keep it for Ducks' games. 

10 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

NHL.tv should work with a VPN to get around blackouts no?

I-HATE- STREAMS

I hope fans find TV again and quit this mostly or somewhat mostly unreliable stream bs,sure their handy and makes all suposedly easier, more lazier for sure

but nothing beats watching sports and your favorite team from TV, TV rules!!!,ipads,smart phones... suck. :)

13 hours ago, yeaitsme said:

Nhl TV/ Gamecenter Live has been a trustworthy friend of mine the past 3 seasons since I've moved to Portland. Yes you have to pay for it, but the quality and reliablitlity is bar none.

I have a Roku tv setup , not sure if you can download the Nhl Gamecenter app via Firestick because I've never had one.  regardless, Good luck! 

I think since I'm in the market arena I won't get Ducks games or else i would get it☹️?

11 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Ditto....and I've thought about but haven't looked into sling tv yet. Hmmmmm

2 hours ago, PatodePreto said:

I would love to dump cable. I only keep it for Ducks' games. 

Another ditto

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Hopefully....need to check up on that.  Have seen ways to get around MLB blackouts

1 hour ago, NiemiWillRise said:

I-HATE- STREAMS

I hope fans find TV again and quit this mostly or somewhat mostly unreliable stream bs,sure their handy and makes all suposedly easier, more lazier for sure

but nothing beats watching sports and your favorite team from TV, TV rules!!!,ipads,smart phones... suck. :)

And niemi...it's a money issue. Sorry you hate streams. But not as well off as you

gonna keep looking and will post my findings...still have time before October 

1 hour ago, DucksFanInIE said:

I think since I'm in the market arena I won't get Ducks games or else i would get it☹️?

Ditto....and I've thought about but haven't looked into sling tv yet. Hmmmmm

Another ditto

Hopefully....need to check up on that.  Have seen ways to get around MLB blackouts

And niemi...it's a money issue. Sorry you hate streams. But not as well off as you

gonna keep looking and will post my findings...still have time before October 

if its a money issue...well...theres always "illegal" free streams,theyre everywhere.

You can watch every Ducks game if you want...obviously you need to download 100% free adblock plus app

(if you don't already have it)...also HD/4K/8K app(s) if you want better quality streams.

---

I do understand... I am super fortunate to live in Finland though,.. with, about 70 dollars* per month, i get to see these:

* that sounds a lot,but what you get...

- every NHL game + NHL tonight + the other one

- lots of KHL games (almost every)

- every Liiga (FEL) game

- several NFL games per week + nfl gameday

- several NBA games per week + nba action

- basketball's Euroleague

- every Nascar race

- Speedway world championship

- F1 H20 uim world championship

- WRC FIA rally championship

- FIA world rally cross championship

- English Premier League + Championsip + FA Cup + League Cup

- La Liga + Spanish cup

- Serie A + italian cup

- Bundesliga + german cup

- Ligue 1

- UEFA Champions League

- UEFA Europa League

- Golf...oh so much Golf that your eyes start to bleed

+ many other finnish sports and other sports related programs too

i know lots of Finns bitch about the prices,

and how nothing is free anymore,i use to as well,...but as a hardcore sports fan,i was forced to bend over,

stop bitching and pay...first i thought it was too much,i'm not gonna pay, i have principles..the usual stuff.

if people would wake up and see how much they use money on smokes,alcohol and

on other unhealthy stuff per month ...70 bucks a month is a "small" amount to pay from a aaaaaalot of sports.

4 hours ago, nieder said:

Probably, but I don't know if I want to go that route.  I know it's one of those laws that everyone flouts, but using that method is technically illegal, isn't it?

36 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Probably, but I don't know if I want to go that route.  I know it's one of those laws that everyone flouts, but using that method is technically illegal, isn't it?

I think it's a grey area. It would breach contracts for the NHL to not use those blackouts, but I don't think it's illegal for the people watching to use a workaround. 

I'm no expert on US law though, we need dts here to give us some free legal advice.

3 hours ago, NiemiWillRise said:

I do understand... I am super fortunate to live in Finland though,.. with, about 70 dollars* per month, i get to see these:

* that sounds a lot,but what you get...

Clearly we all just need to get VPN service to Finland...

2 hours ago, nieder said:

I think it's a grey area. It would breach contracts for the NHL to not use those blackouts, but I don't think it's illegal for the people watching to use a workaround. 

I'm no expert on US law though, we need dts here to give us some free legal advice.

Maybe "illegal" is the wrong word, but it's certainly against the terms of use of NHL Center Ice.  I don't know if there are any consequences for getting caught other than taking your money and shutting off your subscription, but I don't know that I want to deal with them.

4 hours ago, Mooseduck said:

Amazon Fire-Stick?...Hate to ask but I am guessing it's a website stream?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-fire-tv-stick-with-alexa-voice-remote-black/5477500.p?skuId=5477500&extStoreId=&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=84d3bbca-377f-4a68-8531-cada2ef35f52&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=pg78262&ksdevice=t&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtJzLBRC7ARIsAGMkOAkc_H0TatSho9YxUBNVUYomIlmYixUQvsMXbSQxOFMSO79oUJMf_pwaAkUkEALw_wcB

Ya   HDMI plug in to your tv, let's you stream through the tv, when it's jail broken, you can supposedly get anything.  Yet with the legality issues, and uncertainties of getting Ducks hockey I'm iffy on getting it  

21 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Maybe "illegal" is the wrong word, but it's certainly against the terms of use of NHL Center Ice.  I don't know if there are any consequences for getting caught other than taking your money and shutting off your subscription, but I don't know that I want to deal with them.

Wait, are you telling me the NHL app blacks out areas like the tv stations do?  That's some BS.

I don't see a workable way for them to block VPN tunnel access (which could source the client access from anywhere in the world) without some kind of combination of knowing all the IP addresses for consumer VPN exits and maybe cross referencing with billing address... and blocking either of those avenues would be a deal breaker for what I would expect to be a fairly large segment of subscribers (road warriors who want to watch hockey as they travel, which often requires VPN tunneling to get out of your travel ISP restrictions, and for data safety).  Plus, it's just not workable.  I have enough friends around the world that are willing to set up a proxy or a vpn endpoint that would likely be undetectable by the NHL...  and so there's just no upside for them to block that kind of access.

If it was tied to billing address... that would suck.  I'd probably have the bills sent to a family member in Reno.

Frankly, regardless of whether or not they monitor and/or curtail VPN access, blackouts applied to the web app are also pretty much a deal breaker.  The way they "fix" that kind of issue is that they funnel subscription money to the blackout game home team based on the number of web app subscribers watching the game... potentially cross referenced by billing address or GPS position or geo-referenced IP address position, NOT by blacking out web app subscriptions.

I guess I'm just flabbergasted that they're not leveraging the benefits to THEM by getting subscribers on the web app, and instead they're just applying old broadcast rules that assume a bunch of limitations that just aren't in play for a web app. 

11 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Wait, are you telling me the NHL app blacks out areas like the tv stations do?  That's some BS.

I don't see a workable way for them to block VPN tunnel access (which could source the client access from anywhere in the world) without some kind of combination of knowing all the IP addresses for consumer VPN exits and maybe cross referencing with billing address... and blocking either of those avenues would be a deal breaker for what I would expect to be a fairly large segment of subscribers (road warriors who want to watch hockey as they travel, which often requires VPN tunneling to get out of your travel ISP restrictions, and for data safety).  Plus, it's just not workable.  I have enough friends around the world that are willing to set up a proxy or a vpn endpoint that would likely be undetectable by the NHL...  and so there's just no upside for them to block that kind of access.

If it was tied to billing address... that would suck.  I'd probably have the bills sent to a family member in Reno.

Frankly, regardless of whether or not they monitor and/or curtail VPN access, blackouts applied to the web app are also pretty much a deal breaker.  The way they "fix" that kind of issue is that they funnel subscription money to the blackout game home team based on the number of web app subscribers watching the game... potentially cross referenced by billing address or GPS position or geo-referenced IP address position, NOT by blacking out web app subscriptions.

I guess I'm just flabbergasted that they're not leveraging the benefits to THEM by getting subscribers on the web app, and instead they're just applying old broadcast rules that assume a bunch of limitations that just aren't in play for a web app. 

You obviously have a lot more knowledge in this area than I do, but here's what I know (and when I say "know" I mean my understanding based on reading in various places, including the NHL website).  I very well could be wrong on some of this stuff and would happily take correction from someone who knows more about it.

I live in Anaheim.  If I cut cable, I wouldn't have access to Fox Sports West/Fox Prime, which show Ducks games locally.  I'm looking into some other services that might carry things like that but are cheaper than cable (e.g. Sling TV).  But if those aren't an option, I'd have to get NHL Center Ice.  I believe NHL Center Ice tracks you based on the area you're logging in from.  I think it used to be based on billing address but it no longer is.  I do think you can get around that with a VPN that's located somewhere out of the region, but I know that's against the terms of use, and if they catch you, they can terminate your subscription.  How they would catch me, I don't know, but I feel like I've read comments here and there about people who have been caught, so it's theoretically possible.  Maybe that's wrong and using a VPN would be almost foolproof in allowing me to watch Ducks games in Anaheim on NHL Center Ice.  If so, I'd definitely look into that, although with my lack of technical expertise, I'd probably screw it up somehow.

It looks like VPN would be good, and there are also proxies you could use.  Both would be workable for home/smartphone use.

It also looks like you may get better bang/buck with GameCenter Live vs. CenterIce... 

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

It looks like VPN would be good, and there are also proxies you could use.  Both would be workable for home/smartphone use.

It also looks like you may get better bang/buck with GameCenter Live vs. CenterIce... 

I think a VPN would get bogged down and be pretty slow for sports streaming...I've used a couple of VPNs to avoid geoblockers, and they are far slower than my ISP.

VPN tunneling is the way to go if you don't want to pay... I did it on a trip to Florida and could watch every Ducks game...Just buy NHL tv off you don't live in the OC area.

On 7/12/2017 at 10:07 PM, gorbachav5 said:

I watched Ducks on Sling the whole last season & playoffs, worked out well.  And Sling works with any streaming devices like Amazon Fire, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, Xbox One, etc..  It's only $25/month, great deals and good channel lineup.  Was happy I said goodbye to my $100+ cable bills where I only watched 3-4 channels out of it.

Streaming is the future, if you aren't streaming already you are doing it wrong.  Cable is a ripoff.  You have so many good streaming choices, sling ($25/month), direcTV Now ($35/month), Youtube TV ($35/month), PS Vue ($39/month).  Of these I've found Sling & DirecTV Now to be the best for reliability & channel lineup.  I have both DirecTV Now and Netflix, that's only $45/month and I get to watch way more than just with Cable at a fraction of the cost.

Only people I wouldn't recommend streaming to is if you have bad internet connection.  Where I live I get 100-200Mbps down so it's streaming all day every day on multiple TV's & devices.

Hey y'all, first time poster. Read these sites daily!

im a Ducks fan out in Amish country Indiana. I have missed about 10 games over the past 4 years. 

I watch everything via stream as I am a recent college grad. I can tell you the quality of the illegal streams are not great. The fire stick is hit and miss on which streams will work. It's honestly a pain in the rear end. 

This upcoming year I am just going to buy the package to stream my games in HD! 

As as a side note, I believe sling tv should have fox sports included for you guys who are local. I would recommend sling then.

And for what it's worth I currently work at a Best Buy. I get these streaming questions a lot!

Fire stick does work. Sometimes you have to try multiple apps and multiple links within the apps to find a good feed. Some are perfect, some are really bad. You HAVE to have really good internet. 50mbs plus. More the better, or it will buffer every 10 seconds.

GameCenter was good until they switched their blackout zones. If you live anywhere near the rink, it won't work. Not last season, but the one before that was my last season. Literally the weekend of the all star game they upgraded their system and changed the rules. I live in Corona (35-40miles) from the rink and got blacked out after they upgraded. I called and Complained that I had already paid for the whole season and they are going to change it mid way....ultimately I got half my money back, which was fair I guess. Half season half pay.

Having said that, I am not sure if they go by billing address zip code, or by IP address (internet signature unique to you). My best friend (also a Ducks fan) just moved to Wisconsin, so he is going to sign up for Game Center and let me use his account. If they go by billing address zip then it should work fine. If they go with IP address then I'm screwed.

last season I used PSVue. At $55 per month (package that had the channels needed to watch the Ducks), it was the cheapest method. Cable is about $75-100 more on top of internet ($50-75). It's a rip.

It's good idea, even if you need an alternate option to watch ducks game, you'll still save a bundle on cable, Hulu, Netflix, etc...

So I finally cut the cord!!  No more cable bill....

cant find Ducks games on a fire stick, yet, but working on that..do get EVERYTHING else!  Now using fuboTV.  Free for a week, 20 bucks a month for 2 months, then it goes up to 40. But I do get prime ticket which is what I was looking for.   So going from 160 a month cable to 40.  I'll take it!  

I've been meaning to cut cable and haven't quite pulled the trigger. Wife became a full time mom when our little duckling was born. She's saying I can't cancel until after winter Olympics. So a few more months of Ducks games for me. 

On 11/6/2017 at 5:26 AM, BiolaRunner said:

I've been meaning to cut cable and haven't quite pulled the trigger. Wife became a full time mom when our little duckling was born. She's saying I can't cancel until after winter Olympics. So a few more months of Ducks games for me. 

Fubo tv has an Olympic channel and all the NBC channels.  Might be able to still watch them and cut the cord!

Just dropped Spectrum. I have nothing but Kings level contempt for them. I'm watching the Ducks/Oilers replay right now on Hulu. Seems legit. No buffering as of yet. The resolution is a bit off though. The color just seems a shade off. Other than that. No complaints yet. 

I've always wanted to be on "Team Pull the Plug", now I know I got my Ducks elsewhere. I'm giving Spectrum one final bird! 

1 hour ago, poum said:

Just dropped Spectrum. I have nothing but Kings level contempt for them. I'm watching the Ducks/Oilers replay right now on Hulu. Seems legit. No buffering as of yet. The resolution is a bit off though. The color just seems a shade off. Other than that. No complaints yet. 

I've always wanted to be on "Team Pull the Plug", now I know I got my Ducks elsewhere. I'm giving Spectrum one final bird! 

just install silk browser on your fire stick  and you can watch any video from any web sites

and there are plenty that shows NHL games

and you can watch even caststreams  which is perfectly legal

you can upgrade by paying them to watch games in HD quality or just use free version to watch  hockey games