The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DuckFan4Life

2107-18 Season

10 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

@kyleshohara

ICYMI: Some Ducks got new jersey numbers recently. Kase (25) and Montour (26) among them. Here you go:

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/roster

In other news, I give up on #47 and #67. 

3 hours ago, poum said:

In other news, I give up on #47 and #67. 

Just wait and see them select #6 and #7, so we will have 3-4-5-6-7 of Bieksa-Fowler-Holzer-Rakell-Lindholm

Oh wait. Cogliano is 7. Duh.

1 hour ago, Aksun said:

Just wait and see them select #6 and #7, so we will have 3-4-5-6-7 of Bieksa-Fowler-Holzer-Rakell-Lindholm

Oh wait. Cogliano is 7. Duh.

Haha, yah. After signing last year I doubt that the two Swedes would change. Had hope! Had hope...

Buy those #47 with impunity! 

10 hours ago, Mooseduck said:

Bieska change his number from 2 to 3.....Interesting.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I'd guess maybe he wanted his old number back that he wore in Vancouver now that Stoner has finally been shipped off.

20 minutes ago, yeaitsme said:

I'd guess maybe he wanted his old number back that he wore in Vancouver now that Stoner has finally been shipped off.

Maybe he should check to make sure they aren't going to retire 3 first!

...almost got that out with a straight face.

Hey, 

I'm a newbie to hockey, I love the sport, but never enough time to watch games online (I'm Australian, and I live in Japan, neither are a good mix with ice hockey).

I'll be holidaying to the US for the first time at the end of the year and will be watching my first ever live hockey game in December - Ducks versus the Calgary Flames. 

Being a football player (soccer), I'm interested to know what the relevance is for numbers on hockey jerseys? In football, the number usually nominates a position, with only a few exceptions. 

Is this the case with hockey? any insights would be appreciated!

Cheers!

16 minutes ago, snakenuts said:

Hey, 

I'm a newbie to hockey, I love the sport, but never enough time to watch games online (I'm Australian, and I live in Japan, neither are a good mix with ice hockey).

I'll be holidaying to the US for the first time at the end of the year and will be watching my first ever live hockey game in December - Ducks versus the Calgary Flames. 

Being a football player (soccer), I'm interested to know what the relevance is for numbers on hockey jerseys? In football, the number usually nominates a position, with only a few exceptions. 

Cheers!

Not at all. They go with what they want more or less. Don't be surprised to see some high numbers on the Ducks(#67, #47).

I hope you have an amazing time. Enjoy your trip.

22 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Not at all. They go with what they want more or less. Don't be surprised to see some high numbers on the Ducks(#67, #47).

I hope you have an amazing time. Enjoy your trip.

Yes, the Ducks and some other teams do not generally follow this rule, but the general consensus over the years that top-six forwards take the 10s, d-men take the 20s, goalies take the 30s, with the 00s being a mix of F and D, but always a respected and or quality player, sometimes G, but almost always as "1".

So, a typical goalie lineup may look like: 1, 31, 30, 35

Forwards: 7, 10, 15, 18

Defensemen: 3, 4, 24, 27

Lower numbers are considered to be reserved for better players, in general. Rookies are mostly considered 40+

However, almost anything, including personal preference can be a factor: for example, the 90s-born players, and it is currently their generation in the league, may all wear the year of their birth. Or our very own Raks and Lindholm with their 67 47 crap they have going for whatever reason only they know.

Also: have a really nice trip!!!

3 hours ago, Aksun said:

Yes, the Ducks and some other teams do not generally follow this rule, but the general consensus over the years that top-six forwards take the 10s, d-men take the 20s, goalies take the 30s, with the 00s being a mix of F and D, but always a respected and or quality player, sometimes G, but almost always as "1".

So, a typical goalie lineup may look like: 1, 31, 30, 35

Forwards: 7, 10, 15, 18

Defensemen: 3, 4, 24, 27

Lower numbers are considered to be reserved for better players, in general. Rookies are mostly considered 40+

However, almost anything, including personal preference can be a factor: for example, the 90s-born players, and it is currently their generation in the league, may all wear the year of their birth. Or our very own Raks and Lindholm with their 67 47 crap they have going for whatever reason only they know.

Also: have a really nice trip!!!

Pretty much. You won't see anyone but the goalie wear #1 (unlike in basketball). Also #0 is not an option (again, unlike basketball).

2-6 are usually defensemen, and numbers in the 30s usually goalies. Anything else doesn't really follow a trend anymore, unless you consider Anaheim giving rookies higher numbers a trend.

22 hours ago, snakenuts said:

Hey, 

Cheers!

Good call on picking that game! Calgary refuses to win in Anaheim. Enjoy the game! Seriously though, watching the game live is a whole new beast. It's hard to explain but you'll instantly know and recognize it five seconds after the puck drop. 

And as others said, numbers are trivial. It's basically what a player wants. The Ducks used to use high numbers for the new kids and once they made it as a full time NHL player they are given the option to lower the number. I don't think that's a thing with the team anymore, the new kids seemed to have ignored that trend.

It's not something to create a new thread over so I'll derail this one briefly. Just realized Patrick Eaves and Ryan Kesler were both in that insane first round of the 2003 draft. The draft that keeps on giving!

Hey!

Thanks for the insightful replies!

That's really interesting about the numbers, and the patterns about going up in tens. It seems like different franchises have their own "system" as well, but mostly follow a typical trend. 

This info will give me some basis on which players to look for, as well. I guess its the same with most sports - the good players get the lower numbers, and the players coming into the team later have to go with higher numbers, etc. 

It's all interesting!

As for this being my first game - yeah, I'm actually pretty excited to see the Ducks. I had originally planned to go to Canada while I was up further North, but my plans changed, and seeing as though I was going to be in LA around that time, I thought seeing the Ducks would be a treat! I'll have to admit, I watched Might Ducks when I was a kid and thought it was great! But again, I'm Australian, and we dont really DO hockey. We have a few teams here and there, but no real chance to play for me. So the closest I got to playing was NHL on the playstation.

I'm so keen to see the match. I'm scanning threads for best seats at the Honda centre, which players to look out for etc. 

And because I will have some spare cash from not going to Canada, I'm gonna splash out on some more merchandise than originally planned!

Glad to know that the Ducks will probably get one over the Flames! It's gonna make for a great game!

8 hours ago, poum said:

It's not something to create a new thread over so I'll derail this one briefly. Just realized Patrick Eaves and Ryan Kesler were both in that insane first round of the 2003 draft. The draft that keeps on giving!

It's GMBM's mission to pick up every guy from that draft. He's obsessed with it.

28 minutes ago, Aksun said:

It's GMBM's mission to pick up every guy from that draft. He's obsessed with it.

I don't particularly hate the Rangers, but it's fun to look at the draft list and just laugh at them.  They have been really, really bad at drafting over the years.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/draft/NHL_2003_entry.html

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't particularly hate the Rangers, but it's fun to look at the draft list and just laugh at them.  They have been really, really bad at drafting over the years.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/draft/NHL_2003_entry.html

That you for this! Wow...Only NYR and STL blew it big time with that epic draft...Hugh who?

2 hours ago, Aksun said:

That you for this! Wow...Only NYR and STL blew it big time with that epic draft...Hugh who?

Lol Rangers didn't fair much better in the 2nd or 3rd rounds either in what is considered one of the deepest drafts in recent times.
At least St Louie made up for a poor first selection by picking David Backes in round 2 but the Rags went and snagged the immortal "Ivan Baranca" with their 2nd pick.
In all, the Rangers first 3 picks played a total of 3 NHL games in that epic 2003 draft.

Ouch!

4 hours ago, wataduk said:

Lol Rangers didn't fair much better in the 2nd or 3rd rounds either in what is considered one of the deepest drafts in recent times.
At least St Louie made up for a poor first selection by picking David Backes in round 2 but the Rags went and snagged the immortal "Ivan Baranca" with their 2nd pick.
In all, the Rangers first 3 picks played a total of 3 NHL games in that epic 2003 draft.

Ouch!

That's harsh.

In the early 90's the Oilers had 11 picks one draft. And not a single NHL game was played by them. That's down right brutal.

27 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

And Montreal skips Backes for Lapierre...

Edmonton selecting MA Pouliot one spot ahead of Kesler is pretty funny. 

Joe Pavelski was a 205th pick?! Wow!

It's fun looking back at these drafts and seeing who ended up turning out so good!

7 hours ago, Mooseduck said:

It is....makes you wonder how later rounds Ducks had turnout well for our team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Absolutely!

Also, looking back at the 1999 draft....wow! just...it's almost insane how little the class of '99 went on to play very many games...and you see tons of players just not even playing a game in the NHL...and then see Henrik Zetterberg at 210! lol

On 8/6/2017 at 9:19 PM, Jasoaks said:

Absolutely!

Also, looking back at the 1999 draft....wow! just...it's almost insane how little the class of '99 went on to play very many games...and you see tons of players just not even playing a game in the NHL...and then see Henrik Zetterberg at 210! lol

makes one appreciate the Fact our Ducks made that Trade to Get Oleg Tverdovsky back Eh. that First round was a weak Draft imho.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck