The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadowduck

Any Rules changes for 2017-2018?

A week or so ago I tuned into NHL radio and caught the tail end of a discussion on changing the slashing rules so that during a game a player who was repeatedly called for slashing would receive a progressively severe  penalty going from 2 minutes to 4 minutes to five minute major to a game misconduct. From what I heard of the discussion I could not tell if this was something GM's were seriously considering  or if it was just wishful thinking on the part of the commentators. But the idea was to reduce the number of slashing penalties as they have become much more prevalent over the last few seasons.

Has anyone heard or read of this or other possible rules changes coming next season? 

6 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

A week or so ago I tuned into NHL radio and caught the tail end of a discussion on changing the slashing rules so that during a game a player who was repeatedly called for slashing would receive a progressively severe  penalty going from 2 minutes to 4 minutes to five minute major to a game misconduct. From what I heard of the discussion I could not tell if this was something GM's were seriously considering  or if it was just wishful thinking on the part of the commentators. But the idea was to reduce the number of slashing penalties as they have become much more prevalent over the last few seasons.

Has anyone heard or read of this or other possible rules changes coming next season? 

I support them thinking about this kind of thing, but I feel like what will happen is that once a player gets a slashing call, the ref will now not call anything but really egregious slashing on that player to avoid the greater penalty (similar to how we see refs swallow whistles late in games).

I wouldn't mind a rule like that simply cause I bet it was Calgary who whined it into consideration and I want to watch them end up serving the most time because of it.

6 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I support them thinking about this kind of thing, but I feel like what will happen is that once a player gets a slashing call, the ref will now not call anything but really egregious slashing on that player to avoid the greater penalty (similar to how we see refs swallow whistles late in games).

Agreed.  This is probably aimed at Crosby for that season ending slash he hit that one guy with, that left his hand all bloody...

If only Toronto would levy rational review-based suspensions, it wouldn't be a problem.  Referees have enough to do without loading them up with graduated response stuff during game.

Haven't seen this posted anywhere, but man this new Faceoff rule is awful. Painfully obvious attempt to inflate scoring and this is going to screw over so many teams, not even mentioning out Vermette situation which I feel will definitely effect it. 

On 8/9/2017 at 1:42 PM, PetrSykora said:

I wouldn't mind a rule like that simply cause I bet it was Calgary who whined it into consideration and I want to watch them end up serving the most time because of it.

Just got back from the Flames/Oilers pre-season game. The Flames took 10 penalties, like 7 of them were slashing calls. 

The referees are going HARD on the stick fouls so far.

8 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Haven't seen this posted anywhere, but man this new Faceoff rule is awful. Painfully obvious attempt to inflate scoring and this is going to screw over so many teams, not even mentioning out Vermette situation which I feel will definitely effect it. 

I haven't heard about this. Can you elaborate?

2 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

I haven't heard about this. Can you elaborate?

Basically you can't take a timeout after an icing and a failed offside coach's challenge will result in a penalty.

We discussed it in detail here:

13 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I don't know about others, but it would be nice if the NHL actually made some painfully obvious attempts to inflate scoring.  The no timeouts after icings calls rule is a half-assed attempt that is more likely to result in silly delay attempts and/or an increase in injuries from players staying out there too long than a significant increase in goal scoring.

I don't need 8 - 6 hockey games, but more offense would be nice.  I just don't know how you legislate it into the game without making the ice bigger.  I think the biggest issue with the lack of offense is defense clogging up the neutral zone and taking away all passing and shooting lanes in the offensive zone.  

4 hours ago, Aksun said:

Basically you can't take a timeout after an icing and a failed offside coach's challenge will result in a penalty.

We discussed it in detail here:

Thanks. I knew about those two changes but Sexlaf mentioned a new faceoff rule which I don't know anything about.

3 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

Thanks. I knew about those two changes but Sexlaf mentioned a new faceoff rule which I don't know anything about.

From what I'm seeing it's not official yet, but if you get caught cheating on a face off it's a 2 minute minor pretty much instantly from what I've seen 

4 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

From what I'm seeing it's not official yet, but if you get caught cheating on a face off it's a 2 minute minor pretty much instantly from what I've seen 

Oh, okay.  I hadn't seen that.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one.  I'm fine with them increasing penalties by cracking down on stick infractions and interfering infractions, because hopefully players will stop doing those things and that should free up skaters for more 5-on-5 offense.  But this is just going to increase power plays, which aren't as exciting as 5-on-5 play.

I think I'd rather they reduce technical-penalty-linked scoring opportunities and increase the chances for 5-5 scoring... like increasing the width and height of the goal.  The pads issue is also a thing, but it's hard to differentiate between more openings and less protection (which the goalies need).  Making the goals bigger would probably mean larger goalies have a more lopsided chance to stop... but I don't think it'd change much from what it is now.  The only possible downside would be that defensmen might not participate in scoring as much... but still, that's not a huge issue.

Can any of you come up with reasons why increasing the goal size would present a problem?  The sole thing I can think of is stats.  Well, and maybe translating the play to other leagues/olympics with different sized goals... but I'm not worried about that.

Thoughts?

56 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Oh, okay.  I hadn't seen that.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one.  I'm fine with them increasing penalties by cracking down on stick infractions and interfering infractions, because hopefully players will stop doing those things and that should free up skaters for more 5-on-5 offense.  But this is just going to increase power plays, which aren't as exciting as 5-on-5 play.

I suppose it's not a "new" rule it's just that they're enforcing the face off rules strictly now. I guess the Devils/Caps game and a couple more had them implement it. 

I personally don't want to see artificial inflation of scoring. I find it more frustrating to see high scoring games as a former goalie myself. That's probably just me though. I'm fine with low scoring games because I find those the most interesting in most cases. That's just my opinion that doesn't seem to be too popular 

17 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I personally don't want to see artificial inflation of scoring. I find it more frustrating to see high scoring games as a former goalie myself. That's probably just me though. I'm fine with low scoring games because I find those the most interesting in most cases. That's just my opinion that doesn't seem to be too popular 

As someone who only gets to attend a couple of games a season I find the 1-0 games I attend to be disappointing.

That proposed face off rule seems a bit too subjective. I hope they define exactly what counts as cheating.

6 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

As someone who only gets to attend a couple of games a season I find the 1-0 games I attend to be disappointing.

That proposed face off rule seems a bit too subjective. I hope they define exactly what counts as cheating.

A lot of analysts have pointed out the attacking center has a disadvantage as he is moving last so the ref isn't looking at him more. Just seems a bad idea as I know it'll lead to very dumb penalties in very important times 

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I don't mind low scoring games as long as the games are exciting.  But too often we see teams have to dump pucks out of the defensive zone only to clog up the neutral zone and not allow teams the speed to generate any fast-paced offense.  We see subtle interference.  We see more blocked shots than we ever did before.  There just isn't a lot of room to skate or pass because coaches have figured out how to maximize their defensive positioning and have their players right on the edge of either being penalized for interference or having their faces blown up by blocked shots.  Kudos to the coaches, but it doesn't make for an exciting product.

There are some teams (mostly Eastern Conference) that play an open style that's fun to watch.  And of course "fun to watch" is subjective.  I don't necessarily need to see a lot more goals, but I'd love to see more completed offensive plays which should lead to a little bit more scoring.  I don't think widening the nets does much for making the game more aesthetically pleasing; it just adds more numbers to the box score.

I'm ok with the officials calling slashing, since it's gotten out of hand, but I really they would quit changing things.  No shootouts, overtime losses, or 3 on 3.   Bring back the tie.

Ties are never coming back.

The change in enforcement at faceoffs is the worst rule interpretation since the 1998-1999 foot in the crease rule.

Keep calling the slashes. Anything on the hands, no matter how soft. That's where I think the line should be. It's not hard to keep your stick off the gloves.

1 hour ago, nieder said:

The change in enforcement at faceoffs is the worst rule interpretation since the 1998-1999 foot in the crease rule.

Keep calling the slashes. Anything on the hands, no matter how soft. That's where I think the line should be. It's not hard to keep your stick off the gloves.

If the linesmen would drop the puck properly.... No smackage.

8 hours ago, nieder said:

It's just pointless inforcement of an iffy rule. Imagine Game 7 late and a team gets a PP on a face off violation. Not saying that would happen, but I don't want to see any game end like that