The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DuckFan4Life

Beauch Returning?

I'd rather see them just play these prospects while Vatanen and potentially Lindholm instead of Beauchemin, whom I'm not really convinced is any sort of short-term upgrade anyway. Oh well. Welcome back Beauch. 

Love this move!  Welcome back, Beauchemin! 

Now if we can just find a way to send Bieksa to San Jose, we can completely undo Bob's stupidity during the summer of 2015.

- Didn't wan to sign Beauchemin for 3 years.

- Trades for Bieksa with one year left. Gives a two year extension.

- Signs Beauchemin on the third year.

- LOL?

I'm guessing this was a signing more due to injuries than anything else. We could have used BOTH Bieksa and Beauch in the playoffs last season 'cause of the injuries. And I'm guessing no one else was offering him a contract and wanted to play.

I like the signing. I mean, if Lindholm AND Vats weren't injured i'm guessing this signing doesn't happen.

1 hour ago, poum said:

- Didn't wan to sign Beauchemin for 3 years.

- Trades for Bieksa with one year left. Gives a two year extension.

- Signs Beauchemin on the third year.

- LOL?

At least this time it didn't cost a Jake Gardiner??? :ph34r:

I like this move. The third year was the sticking point for Murray, which the Avs gave him. That turned out to be a good call considering he looked slow and bad overall last year with the Avs. However, I'm sure Murray would have given him 1 million for a 3rd year, and Beauch will be counted on more to begin the season while some guys come back from injuries. After that he'll be good to have around as a #6-7 who can fill in for injured guys or give someone a break. We definitely needed depth on D in the playoffs last year.

That might help keep Beauch fresher and playing at a higher level when he does play. I think getting away from that dumpster fire in Colorado and getting back to a comfortable place with a good team going for the Cup could  help his game too. No matter what, he's always been talked about as a great lockeroom guy so I have no doubt he'll at least have a positive impact on our young defensemen. 

Dang, i was merely hoping they would sign Beauch to one of those 1 day contracts if there were no other takes for his services but this is a bonus. As a Duck's fan, I find this to be a great signing.

Only 1 year and cheap insurance for a team that has two of it's top D men in doubt for the start of the season.

The team also needs someone to patrol the left side of the blue line

You also have to consider that yes, Beauch did not look his best last year but you also have to consider the team he played for.
To expect improvement is certainly not a stretch by any means.

7 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I'm guessing this was a signing more due to injuries than anything else. We could have used BOTH Bieksa and Beauch in the playoffs last season 'cause of the injuries. And I'm guessing no one else was offering him a contract and wanted to play.

I like the signing. I mean, if Lindholm AND Vats weren't injured i'm guessing this signing doesn't happen.

Not necessarily. Prior to today's signing, the Ducks had 6 righties  D and only 2 lefties.

1 hour ago, wataduk said:

Not necessarily. Prior to today's signing, the Ducks had 6 righties  D and only 2 lefties.

Which is pretty crazy when you think about it. Before Vatanen came along, we could go years on end with only one right handed d-man playing regular minutes on the roster. Sheldon Brookbank anyone?

3 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Which is pretty crazy when you think about it. Before Vatanen came along, we could go years on end with only one right handed d-man playing regular minutes on the roster. Sheldon Brookbank anyone?

This is actually crazy. Everyone was so pumped when Vats turned out to be great, because we really didn't have anyone but him to be a top-4 right-handed D-man. Now we have several of them and until Beauch was signed, we had only Fowler - Lindholm - Larsson as lefties and if the latter does not come here from Sweden or stays in the AHL, and one of Lindy or Fowl goes down, and Lindholm looks to be out maybe until late October, we basically have nothing on the left side, just rookies (4 of them, Megna included). Our RD is still actually thinner, but has more NHL-ready stuff in Manson - Vatanen - Bieksa - Holzer with two great rookies in Montour and Welinski. So, 7LD, 6RD, but the righties have more people we can actually play.

Vatanen out gives Monty legitimate playing time until January-February, and this Beauchemin signing solidifies our left side and gives us another locker room staple. Good job, Bob! I am happy with this. Really, with Lindholm potentially injured and not being rushed to start the season, all we have is Fowler and Larsson.

I'd love to see Beauch and Monty paired up for at least the preseason. I feel like we would see a similar jump in Monty's game playing with Frankie as we did when Lindholm did. What solid-skating, rushing D wouldn't like a stay-at-home with some experience to back him up? (And lets face it, that left hand of Beauchemin's is probably still a hammer if needs be.)

https://twitter.com/AnaheimDucks/status/899712736036179968

Happy to have Frankie Back....he maybe wise and older but his experince will help the Young Ducks D.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

This signing makes me a tad nervous. While I think that Bieksa played solid in then playoffs, he was a huge liability in the regular season and he should've been scratched and I don't want the same thing to happen with Frankie. As long as he isn't taking a spot away from someone who deserves it more and serves as a leader for our young guys on the blue line I'll be happy. 

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

I just hope this doesn't mean there's been a setback in injury recovery of someone...

Unless we're talking Bieksa's knee, right?

Glad to see Frankie come back to retire as a Duck. 

I am guessing that he will see significant ice time at the beginning of the season while Lindholm and Vatanen are recovering from surgery and that once they return he will transition to a 6/7 defenseman.

Anyone who thinks Beauchemin helped Lindholm or that Beauchemin's game fell off merely because of age in Colorado is smoking something. Beauchemin has been a mess for several years and Hammer carrying him is the only reason he looked passable. Defensively, analytics suggest he's even worse than Bieksa, which is saying something.

The only way this signing makes sense is in light of the absence of Vatanen (and to a lesser degree Lindholm) for some of the season. I'd rather give Megna/Larsson a chance to fight over it, but it's Murray, so... 

The one positive I see is that it's only 1mil which implies he's not seen as anything more than a fringe bottom pair player at this point and is here less for his actual ability than his experience. If that is the case and he is likely to ride the bench or rotate with Bieksa on the bottom line when Lindholm and Vats are back, I'm indifferent to the move. Anything more than that and it's a horribly stupid move in the wrong direction. 

8 minutes ago, Ducks-Roll said:

Anyone who thinks Beauchemin helped Lindholm or that Beauchemin's game fell off merely because of age in Colorado is smoking something. Beauchemin has been a mess for several years and Hammer carrying him is the only reason he looked passable. Defensively, analytics suggest he's even worse than Bieksa, which is saying something.

The only way this signing makes sense is in light of the absence of Vatanen (and to a lesser degree Lindholm) for some of the season. I'd rather give Megna/Larsson a chance to fight over it, but it's Murray, so... 

The one positive I see is that it's only 1mil which implies he's not seen as anything more than a fringe bottom pair player at this point and is here less for his actual ability than his experience. If that is the case and he is likely to ride the bench or rotate with Bieksa on the bottom line when Lindholm and Vats are back, I'm indifferent to the move. Anything more than that and it's a horribly stupid move in the wrong direction. 

Agreed. I get the nostalgia behind the glee being expressed on the boards but let's be honest, Beauch was declining before he even left Anaheim.

2 minutes ago, nieder said:

Agreed. I get the nostalgia behind the glee being expressed on the boards but let's be honest, Beauch was declining before he even left Anaheim.

I'm cool with him retiring as a Duck - he had some good years with us. I just hope he isn't overused.

4 hours ago, Ducks-Roll said:

In his final season here, 2014-15, Beauchemin potted 11 goals despite getting hardly any PP time, and that was in just 64 games because he missed time due to a broken finger (shot-block) and the Mumps.  He was also the overall TOI leader in the 2015 playoffs for the Ducks, a team that made it all the way to Game 7 of the WCF Finals. That was also only one season removed from finishing 4th in the Norris voting in 2012-13, ahead of Chara, Keith, OEL, Doughty, Weber, and Karlsson.

Hammer played great during the 2014-15 playoffs until about game 5 of the WCF, but its a joke to say he carried Beauchemin and that he's the only reason Beauchemin looked passable. Beauchemin played pretty great when he was healthy and was very good in those playoffs (minus one bad turnover that ended up in our net) too, right up until he was forced to play 46:29 in that 3OT loss to the Hawks and 30:36 in the 2OT loss. That was too many minutes for a guy his age, and he wasn't the same in that series after that. But games 5-7 are not how he should be remembered IMO. Beauch was still a very solid D-man right up until has last game in a Ducks sweater.

I don't expect to get vintage Beauchmin back this season, but he's still better than his numbers in Colorado suggest. 

He's a sub million dollar value at this point. Lindholm was better in his second year than Beauchemin has ever been. Ducks fans tend to overrate Franky severely and for whatever reason diminish Lindholm. Facts just don't bear it up.