The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DuckFan4Life

Beauch Returning?

2 hours ago, Ducks-Roll said:

He's a sub million dollar value at this point. Lindholm was better in his second year than Beauchemin has ever been. Ducks fans tend to overrate Franky severely and for whatever reason diminish Lindholm. Facts just don't bear it up. 

Again, 4th in the Norris voting in 2013, as voted by the Professional Hockey Writers Association. I'm guessing there aren't a lot of Ducks fans in that group.

I'd also love to see an example of Ducks fans diminishing Lindholm. I've never seen that, ever. The kid is a consensus all-around stud. And why are you trying to turn this into a Hammer v Beauchemin debate? It was never one guy carrying the other. They played great together. 

The writers also inexplicably voted Doughty in over Karlsson - one of the worst award votes in the last ten years. The writers aren't exactly known for their analytical brilliance. Beauchemin was fine that year, but like Kesler his defensive ability tends to be a bit overrated by local media/fans with less attention paid to who plays on the same line.

1 hour ago, Ducks-Roll said:

The writers also inexplicably voted Doughty in over Karlsson - one of the worst award votes in the last ten years. The writers aren't exactly known for their analytical brilliance. Beauchemin was fine that year, but like Kesler his defensive ability tends to be a bit overrated by local media/fans with less attention paid to who plays on the same line.

So because the writers don't invest as much in the analytics when they vote for the awards, their decision to vote for Beauchemin ahead of Chara, Keith, OEL, Weber, et al. should be dismissed? Ok, I see where this is going. <_<

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

So because the writers don't invest as much in the analytics when they vote for the awards, their decision to vote for Beauchemin ahead of Chara, Keith, OEL, Weber, et al. should be dismissed? Ok, I see where this is going. <_<

Basically. Most NHL writers frankly are a bit slow to adapt. They rely far too much on narratives and groupthink. Far too many hockey minds are still at the equivalent of baseball thinking that RBI's are a meaningful statistic. What makes it difficult to move beyond that point, though, is NHL teams hiring all the best stat guys which leads to their models and data all going offline. This has the unfortunate effect of making it difficult to prove much statistically. 

In regards to Lindholm, Ducks fans repeatedly underrate him by comparing him unfavorably to Fowler (who is also quite good). Lindholm is considered by stat guys a top 5 defensive defenseman. Fowler is a top line blue liner, but he's at best a fringe #1. Lindholm is a #1 in everything but gaudy point totals on virtually any team in the league. And yet, people keep saying Beauchemin is the reason Lindholm played well. Au contraire - Beauchemin turned into a dumpster fire in Colorado. Why? He didn't have Lindholm to rely on anymore. 

23 hours ago, Ducks-Roll said:

Basically. Most NHL writers frankly are a bit slow to adapt. They rely far too much on narratives and groupthink. Far too many hockey minds are still at the equivalent of baseball thinking that RBI's are a meaningful statistic. What makes it difficult to move beyond that point, though, is NHL teams hiring all the best stat guys which leads to their models and data all going offline. This has the unfortunate effect of making it difficult to prove much statistically. 

In regards to Lindholm, Ducks fans repeatedly underrate him by comparing him unfavorably to Fowler (who is also quite good). Lindholm is considered by stat guys a top 5 defensive defenseman. Fowler is a top line blue liner, but he's at best a fringe #1. Lindholm is a #1 in everything but gaudy point totals on virtually any team in the league. And yet, people keep saying Beauchemin is the reason Lindholm played well. Au contraire - Beauchemin turned into a dumpster fire in Colorado. Why? He didn't have Lindholm to rely on anymore. 

Are you saying that Lindholm and Beauchemin work well together?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Lindholm would work well with basically anybody. I think Beauchemin looked a lot better than he was with Anaheim (which is really saying something by the end) because he was on Lindholm's line a significant portion of the time. He looked horrible in Colorado - people say it's because Colorado sucks. That's true, but it demonstrates that he's far past the level of elevating his linemate's game.

On 8/25/2017 at 10:02 PM, Ducks-Roll said:

Lindholm would work well with basically anybody. I think Beauchemin looked a lot better than he was with Anaheim (which is really saying something by the end) because he was on Lindholm's line a significant portion of the time. He looked horrible in Colorado - people say it's because Colorado sucks. That's true, but it demonstrates that he's far past the level of elevating his linemate's game.

I beleive Lindholm will be developing into one oft he Ducks best Defencemen. Does not matter if he is pair with Beauchemin,Montour,Bieska or even Fowler he will be on his way to be the Best. Beauchemin imho will be great in mentoring some of the Ducks Young D in the Lineup from night in and night out.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

Right on. Welcome back Frankie.

I know what how feels....It's always good to be home. For me everytime I make a trip to see the Ducks I felt I never left.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 8/28/2017 at 3:55 PM, Mooseduck said:

I beleive Lindholm will be developing into one oft he Ducks best Defencemen. Does not matter if he is pair with Beauchemin,Montour,Bieska or even Fowler he will be on his way to be the Best. Beauchemin imho will be great in mentoring some of the Ducks Young D in the Lineup from night in and night out.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I agree with this and actually believe that the contract for Beauch is intended for him to be a mentor on-ice working towards being a behind the bench or behind the scenes mentor / coach when he hangs them up.  The retirement could come sooner  depending on how things are working out.  That's my thoughts - Beauch is being groomed to be someone the youngsters will listen to while they develop. 

1 minute ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

I agree with this and actually believe that the contract for Beauch is intended for him to be a mentor on-ice working towards being a behind the bench or behind the scenes mentor / coach when he hangs them up.  The retirement could come sooner  depending on how things are working out.  That's my thoughts - Beauch is being groomed to be someone the youngsters will listen to while they develop. 

Cause if you ask me I think Beauchemin was symbolic...Him returning to the Ducks for one last time is a nice gesture. you can he is "Giving Back" to our Ducks. Let's face it IF it was not for Mighty Ducks/Anaheim Ducks Frankie would not have been a NHLer.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck