poum

2017-2018 NHL Catch-All

2,076 posts in this topic

We're gonna need this thread soon enough, the season approaches. Winter is coming.

A few thoughts to start this off.

Zetterberg admits his contract was cap circumvention. He doesn't plan to play out his contract. 

- The only reason why we wrote such a long contract was because of the payroll. It is quite obvious that you try to fool the system. Actually, I may have two years left, but I have also learned to take one year at a time. But I will probably not play until then (2020/2021 season, when the contract expires), says Henrik Zetterberg.

Speaking of the Detroit Red Wings. Big fat LOL! They are in cap hell likes no other. They are so boned. It's glorious! They are already over the cap. (by exactly Franzens contract #). Their RFA Andreas Alth... I can't for the life of me spell it so I'll just say AA. It was leaked, probably by his agent as leverage. That AA is thinking about the KHL. They got some LTIR covering them with Franzen. I heard Ericsson will be too as well another who I can't remember. 

And. Annnd I just noticed this. That cheeky little butthole. I probably just created this thread so I can rant about this. Frickin Sidney Crosby's cap hit is $8.7M. #87's cap hit is 8.7, cheeky butt-hole.

 

 

Edited by poum
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget we have VGK...aka Magento's as someone has said may be a threat to some of the teams in NHL of the talent they have and may create some upsets in their first season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mooseduck said:

Don't forget we have VGK...aka Magento's as someone has said may be a threat to some of the teams in NHL of the talent they have and may create some upsets in their first season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Keep in mind, you're talking about a team that may well have Luca Sbisa and Clayton Stoner as a pairing. If not that, both could very well be part of their top 4 defenders. 

Any team can win any given day but I don't view Vegas as a threat. At least concerning Pacific division points. I do view them as a legitimate "Oh crap, please don't injure my defensemen" threat though. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poum said:

Keep in mind, you're talking about a team that may well have Luca Sbisa and Clayton Stoner as a pairing. If not that, both could very well be part of their top 4 defenders. 

Any team can win any given day but I don't view Vegas as a threat. At least concerning Pacific division points. I do view them as a legitimate "Oh crap, please don't injure my defensemen" threat though. 

Good Point but imho Ducks should be able to keep an eye on them and I am sure some of the NHL Teams will do that once the Puck Drops.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL, Kings. 

Seriously though, San Jose's liable to take a header unless someone steps up to fill the gap created by Marleau's exit. There'll be a dogfight for the 3rd spot and the wild card amongst LA-SJ-CGY-VGK. Vancouver has elected themselves cellar-dwellers until proven otherwise. Edmonton will compete for the division title if the Ducks don't slam the door on them every chance they get. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Drake12 said:

(a)LOL, Kings. 

Seriously though, (b)San Jose's liable to take a header unless someone steps up to fill the gap created by Marleau's exit. There'll be a dogfight for the 3rd spot and the wild card amongst LA-SJ-CGY-VGK. Vancouver has elected themselves cellar-dwellers until proven otherwise. Edmonton will compete for the division title if the Ducks don't slam the door on them every chance they get. 

(a) Thanks. This threaded needed that, don't know why I didn't open with it. 

(b) I really hope the Ducks take the next Division title. I'm of the opinion that they are stupid and useless. The past few years has shown us that time and time again. But taking the Division would give the Ducks one more up over the Sharks. Both teams share (at six a piece) the record for most Pacific Division titles. So in a sense, it's totally not useless as we could say Ducks won more than you. But then again, that pesky little thing called a Cup speaks for itself. 

Also a next division championship takes away from Edmonton. Which I'm all for. I can't even call is Canadian Siberia anymore as that place is now a desirable spot. I'm sure ever player with a modified NTC/NMC has taken Edmonton off their "Awwww hell naaaaaaah" list and replaced it with Vegas.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, poum said:

(a) Thanks. This threaded needed that, don't know why I didn't open with it. 

(b) I really hope the Ducks take the next Division title. I'm of the opinion that they are stupid and useless. The past few years has shown us that time and time again. But taking the Division would give the Ducks one more up over the Sharks. Both teams share (at six a piece) the record for most Pacific Division titles. So in a sense, it's totally not useless as we could say Ducks won more than you. But then again, that pesky little thing called a Cup speaks for itself. 

Also a next division championship takes away from Edmonton. Which I'm all for. I can't even call is Canadian Siberia anymore as that place is now a desirable spot. I'm sure ever player with a modified NTC/NMC has taken Edmonton off their "Awwww hell naaaaaaah" list and replaced it with Vegas.

I was surprised no one had beaten me to it, to be honest. 

The division is going through some serious flux, and the Ducks are the most stable team therein. Bragging rights on the Sharks for mostest of everything is good. Kicking the greasy ones and their fans back into reality is also useful.

As an afterthought, how are those folks with modified NMC/NTCs expecting to get paid in Edmonton. Coattails to the Cup is one thing, but they've gotta make it out of the second round first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Drake12 said:

LOL, Kings. 

Seriously though, San Jose's liable to take a header unless someone steps up to fill the gap created by Marleau's exit. There'll be a dogfight for the 3rd spot and the wild card amongst LA-SJ-CGY-VGK. Vancouver has elected themselves cellar-dwellers until proven otherwise. Edmonton will compete for the division title if the Ducks don't slam the door on them every chance they get. 

If one thing We know well...NHL Pacific Divison is going to be a BIG DOGFIGHT.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drake12 said:

I was surprised no one had beaten me to it, to be honest. 

The division is going through some serious flux, and the Ducks are the most stable team therein. Bragging rights on the Sharks for mostest of everything is good. Kicking the greasy ones and their fans back into reality is also useful.

As an afterthought, how are those folks with modified NMC/NTCs expecting to get paid in Edmonton. Coattails to the Cup is one thing, but they've gotta make it out of the second round first.

The Oilers and money will be a problem for awhile. But as I learned from the Kings and Lombardi, that's nothing more than a speed bump. Thankfully I don't think Chiarelli is that savvy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost September :')

By the way, how is Jarg still a free agent? You'd think a team like Vegas or Arizona would throw a lucrative 1 year deal at him to help put more butts into seats. It worked for the Panthers up until last summer when they decided success felt icky and they were more comfortable becoming a total trainwreck again.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2017 at 7:14 PM, Drake12 said:

LOL, Kings. 

Seriously though, San Jose's liable to take a header unless someone steps up to fill the gap created by Marleau's exit. There'll be a dogfight for the 3rd spot and the wild card amongst LA-SJ-CGY-VGK. Vancouver has elected themselves cellar-dwellers until proven otherwise. Edmonton will compete for the division title if the Ducks don't slam the door on them every chance they get. 

I think the Sharks will still be there or thereabouts. They have enough young talent to stay competitive. I'm thinking we are looking at Anaheim/Edmonton/San Jose as the top 3 in the division, though that third spot could still be taken by Calgary. Vancouver are 2018 #1 overall pick candidates, as are Vegas. Arizona and LA will be more competitive than those teams but I can't see either making the playoffs without a miracle.

Edited by nieder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obligatory playoff seeding prediction post that everyone can laugh at come April 2018. For the record I think I had the Devils making it last season lmao.

Central:
Minnesota
St. Louis
Nashville

Pacific:
Anaheim
Edmonton
Calgary

Wild Cards:
Chicago
Dallas

Atlantic:
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Montreal

Metropolitan:
Washington
Pittsburgh
Carolina

Wild Card:
Ottawa
Buffalo

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

It's almost September :')

By the way, how is Jarg still a free agent? You'd think a team like Vegas or Arizona would throw a lucrative 1 year deal at him to help put more butts into seats. It worked for the Panthers up until last summer when they decided success felt icky and they were more comfortable becoming a total trainwreck again.

Jagr is kinda a surprise. Slightly curious about Iginla too. I feel like Jagr could get decent money. I wonder if that's a hold up for Iggy because no way he gets that $5M+ again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Obligatory playoff seeding prediction post that everyone can laugh at come April 2018. For the record I think I had the Devils making it last season lmao.

Central:
Minnesota
St. Louis
Nashville

Pacific:
Anaheim
Edmonton
Calgary

Wild Cards:
Chicago
Dallas

Atlantic:
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Montreal

Metropolitan:
Washington
Pittsburgh
Carolina

Wild Card:
Ottawa
Buffalo

I like your predicted finishes for the NHL including our Ducks. One thing I would disagree is Toronto being in the top 3 of Atlantic Division. 

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2017 at 0:53 PM, PetrSykora said:

It's almost September :')

By the way, how is Jarg still a free agent? You'd think a team like Vegas or Arizona would throw a lucrative 1 year deal at him to help put more butts into seats. It worked for the Panthers up until last summer when they decided success felt icky and they were more comfortable becoming a total trainwreck again.

I am working under the assumption that Jagr believes he is entitled to play on a cup contending team while any such team is not going to risk adding a 40 year old to their roster.

I don't believe Jagr is going to settle for playing with a basement dwelling team at this point. You can make the argument that he just played for Florida, but he signed with them after they had a very promising season and they had just acquired Luongo. So at the time the Panthers were considered a team on the rebound.

The only reason Jagr signs with a crappy team is to continue to pad his career stats, which I already resent. Had he never returned from the KHL Teemu Selanne would be in the number ten spot on the all time goals scored list.

Edited by Shadowduck
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2017 at 5:31 PM, Shadowduck said:

I am working under the assumption that Jagr believes he is entitled to play on a cup contending team while any such team is not going to risk adding a 40 year old to their roster.

I don't believe Jagr is going to settle for playing with a basement dwelling team at this point. You can make the argument that he just played for Florida, but he signed with them after they had a very promising season and they had just acquired Luongo. So at the time the Panthers were considered a team on the rebound.

The only reason Jagr signs with a crappy team is to continue to pad his career stats, which I already resent. Had he never returned from the KHL Teemu Selanne would be in the number ten spot on the all time goals scored list.

I can tell you one thing IF any NHL Teams does not sign him...Makes you wonder he would be keen to go back to the KHL since Olympics is next year.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Penguins fans. First Ho-sang with #66 and now Shipachyov wearing #87 for the Knights. 

The nerve of it all!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, poum said:

I love Penguins fans. First Ho-sang with #66 and now Shipachyov wearing #87 for the Knights. 

The nerve of it all!

 

I love them too but also because of this

DCR-2nWUMAAd-rV.jpg

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Pittsburgh had a local penguin infestation in the suburbs, I honestly don't think they would be different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raise your hand IF you are curious to see how well VGK will do in their first year?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mooseduck said:

Raise your hand IF you are curious to see how well VGK will do in their first year?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I'm mildly curious. In the schadenfreude sense. That defense is a nightmare on paper. Garrison, Stoner, Sbisa, Engelland, McNabb. I feel so bad that we had to toss Theodore to the wolves.

Fleury is screwed, which is an understatement.

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta say, I'm surprised that the Boston Z's haven't signed Pasternak yet. They got all the cap space needed. 

...wait. Is Claude Lemeuix his agent?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And! Try out contracts are being handed out. Some are particularly funny. But it's just a PTO. 

They just signed Duclair to a nice "prove it" contract.

Edited by poum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, poum said:

I'm mildly curious. In the schadenfreude sense. That defense is a nightmare on paper. Garrison, Stoner, Sbisa, Engelland, McNabb. I feel so bad that we had to toss Theodore to the wolves.

Fleury is screwed, which is an understatement.

 

Don't be surprise though that VGK will rely on him Heavily.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2017 at 1:27 AM, poum said:

I'm mildly curious. In the schadenfreude sense. That defense is a nightmare on paper. Garrison, Stoner, Sbisa, Engelland, McNabb. I feel so bad that we had to toss Theodore to the wolves.

Fleury is screwed, which is an understatement.

 

We can thank Bob Murray for that. Giving Bieksa a NMC is why Theodore is donning a different jersey.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

We can thank Bob Murray for that. Giving Bieksa a NMC is why Theodore is donning a different jersey.

Probably. But Im okay with the psycho that is Manson. That look on his face after he beat the that neanderthal Lucic. Priceless.

I still find it funny that Beauchemin wasn't given a three year deal but still ends up as a Duck in that third year. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poum said:

Probably. But Im okay with the psycho that is Manson. That look on his face after he beat the that neanderthal Lucic. Priceless.

I still find it funny that Beauchemin wasn't given a three year deal but still ends up as a Duck in that third year. 

He decked Polak and went properly apeDehydrated Donkey Dung when Polak threw a late punch. He served Giordano his piping hot beatdown after the hit on Fowler.  He also swung Haley around after that cross-check on Kesler. I like our Manson. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Drake12 said:

He decked Polak and went properly apeDehydrated Donkey Dung when Polak threw a late punch. He served Giordano his piping hot beatdown after the hit on Fowler.  He also swung Haley around after that cross-check on Kesler. I like our Manson. 

Manson is so fun.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2017 at 2:24 PM, PetrSykora said:

Obligatory playoff seeding prediction post that everyone can laugh at come April 2018. For the record I think I had the Devils making it last season lmao.

Central:
Minnesota
St. Louis
Nashville

Pacific:
Anaheim
Edmonton
Calgary

Wild Cards:
Chicago
Dallas

Atlantic:
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Montreal

Metropolitan:
Washington
Pittsburgh
Carolina

Wild Card:
Ottawa
Buffalo

Not terrible. But I would disagree. Washington won't be that good to win Division. I expect BB to make Minnesota better than they are. And as much as I hate to say this, Nashville at 3rd seems a bit low. Such a stupid team. I'm glad they punished Neal to Vegas.

The Pacific Division is the one I'm curious about. I think it's Anaheim, Calgary or Edmonton's to lose. I would say those three will take the top three spots. San Jose downgraded. Losing Patty Marleau will be a huge hit for them. It's the Kings that worry me. If they stood pat, then yeah LOL Kings. Where does that team go now, what direction does Rob Blake take? Go more offensive than the years of defensive Sutter. Anyway, Quick is probably gonna be exposed. Their new coach is TERRIBLE. What was it, posted the worst record of something while coach of Philly. Still... Not counting them out yet. Even if I should.

Also. LOL Vancouver. They might be Avalanche bad. That special kind of bad.

Edited by poum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now