poum

2017-2018 NHL Catch-All

2,076 posts in this topic

Everybody's favorite Mike Millbury will be a placeholder for Eddie Olczyk while he's out after cancer surgery. Milbury said he has received a schedule till New Year's Eve. 

And every NHL fan collectively found the mute button on their remote after the announcement. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/09/26/mike-milbury-moving-into-ed-olczyks-role-nbc-hockey-analyst/705398001/

9 hours ago, poum said:

Everybody's favorite Mike Millbury will be a placeholder for Eddie Olczyk while he's out after cancer surgery. Milbury said he has received a schedule till New Year's Eve. 

And every NHL fan collectively found the mute button on their remote after the announcement. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/09/26/mike-milbury-moving-into-ed-olczyks-role-nbc-hockey-analyst/705398001/

Milbury needs to go. Get well soon Edzo.

18 hours ago, poum said:

Dreadful.

Bring back Thorne and Clement.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Dreadful.

Non-anon like for that one.

3 hours ago, nieder said:

Dreadful.

I miss them so much.  I still get nostalgic whenever I hear Thorne doing Oriole broadcasts.

Looks like Cramarossa was released by the Flames.  Thought he had good ulility as a fourth liner.  Would like to see him back in Anaheim or San Diego.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I miss them so much.  I still get nostalgic whenever I hear Thorne doing Oriole broadcasts.

I still have so many of Gary Thorne's calls in my head from the 90s and early 00s. Can't really say the same of current announcers. 

This list is awesome:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1333824-22-of-the-most-memorable-calls-in-hockey-history.amp.html

Though I can't believe the Kariya goal isn't on there. 

3 people like this

13 hours ago, nieder said:

I still have so many of Gary Thorne's calls in my head from the 90s and early 00s. Can't really say the same of current announcers. 

This list is awesome:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1333824-22-of-the-most-memorable-calls-in-hockey-history.amp.html

I miss the production that went into the pregame and exposition of the old National Hockey Night broadcasts, like this:

15 minutes ago, Drake12 said:

I miss the production that went into the pregame and exposition of the old National Hockey Night broadcasts, like this:

OMG Thorne's hair....

15 hours ago, nieder said:

This list is awesome:

One of those videos is blocked by the IOC. "The Final Minute of Miracle on Ice" is blocked. Specifically said the IOC blocked this video. That's something special. 

Edited by poum

Wow, the NHL schedule really screwed over the Penguins and Flyers in the first week of the season. Both teams have to play 3 games in 4 nights to open the season including a set of back to back games. The Pens really get screwed because they have to play against the Blues, Hawks, and Preds. Ouch. 

We get the Flyers on their last game of the 3 in 4 nights. Kind of BS, but I’ll take it.

2 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

Wow, the NHL schedule really screwed over the Penguins and Flyers in the first week of the season. Both teams have to play 3 games in 4 nights to open the season including a set of back to back games. The Pens really get screwed because they have to play against the Blues, Hawks, and Preds. Ouch. 

We get the Flyers on their last game of the 3 in 4 nights. Kind of BS, but I’ll take it.

We usually get the short end of the silly schedule, they made it comfortable for us for once. I can live with that. Oh and hey, look! We are starting at home, wow!

6 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

I don't feel sorry for either. The Pens earned it by being the Pens, and the Flyers-well, their hype train still hasn't left the station towards anywhere productive.

On 9/23/2017 at 1:14 AM, poum said:

They're giving Hossa one too. Unlike Lupul and the Leafs, other teams have supposedly been calling out Chicago for shenanigans. 

Toronto will likely learn Lupul's status tomorrow as well. He was expected to be evaluated by an independent doctor today.

If they haven't been informed already, CHI will get clarification today from NHL on Hossa's medical status after independent review.

8 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

They haven’t drafted well and the few times they did they traded them away haha. 

All hail Bob! Fower drafted? YES! Fowlerr groomed? YES! Fowler signed for his prime? ALSO YES. I can go on with Getzalf, Perry, Rakell, Lindholm...

Joe Colborne and Patrick Wiercoch on waivers along with Tangradi and Pirri

Colborne is interesting. I know he had a god awful year, but so did everyone on that team. I thought he was a decent player weird for Colorado to seemingly throw him away. 

47 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Colborne is interesting. I know he had a god awful year, but so did everyone on that team. I thought he was a decent player weird for Colorado to seemingly throw him away. 

Pirri is the only one of those guys I'd maybe consider looking into and it's only because our bottom six looks like it could only score 20 goals this season (with maybe 80% of that being Kase's). Colborne is average to really terrible at everything besides being big. I still remember his stupidity in that 2015 series against Calgary burying them almost every time they gained a little momentum. They didn't even issue him a qualifying offer after a 40 point season. He might be able to bounce back to half of that after the hilariously bad season he had in Colorado but I doubt a team will take on a 2.5 million dollar 4C at best with no hockey IQ. 

Edited by PetrSykora

3 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Remember when people were p*ssed that we traded Tangradi

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Pirri is the only one of those guys I'd maybe consider looking into and it's only because our bottom six looks like it could only score 20 goals this season (with maybe 80% of that being Kase's). Colborne is average to really terrible at everything besides being big. I still remember his stupidity in that 2015 series against Calgary burying them almost every time they gained a little momentum. They didn't even issue him a qualifying offer after a 40 point season. He might be able to bounce back to half of that after the hilariously bad season he had in Colorado but I doubt a team will take on a 2.5 million dollar 4C at best with no hockey IQ. 

I still think there's something wrong with Pirri behind the scenes. He keeps bouncing around teams even though he's not a bad player.

Vegas have picked him up.

Edited by nieder

Why don't they just get rid of Milbury already. He's universally despised. 

2 people like this

Game 1 of the season and I still haven’t gotten over my McDavid fatigue. If I never hear his name again it’ll be too soon . 

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Game 1 of the season and I still haven’t gotten over my McDavid fatigue. If I never hear his name again it’ll be too soon . 

Dude can score some... Granted, it's the wannabe flameouts, but still.

1 hour ago, Aksun said:

Dude can score some... Granted, it's the wannabe flameouts, but still.

Cannot begin to question his talent, but listening to how good McDavid is for a whole 7 game series gets grating after awhil 

2 people like this

15 hours ago, nieder said:

Why don't they just get rid of Milbury already. He's universally despised. 

Throw the bum out! His insights are next to nil, his idea of how the game should be played is archaic, and he's a doofus to boot.

9 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I hope Matthews and Eichel have stellar seasons in part so they drown out the McJeebus fervor. He's good, but I'm starting to hear his name, and my brain fills in this:

2 people like this