The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duck123

Training Camp 2017!

Ducks Training Camp 2017 officially starts tomorrow.   Time for a thread! 

So, expect any surprises this year?  I predict Sam Steel will make the team, for a couple of reasons:

1) We will likely be without Kesler to start the season, and will be short a talented center, and

2) I believe Corey Perry's season last year had less to do with decline and more to do with the center he was playing with.

Corey Perry always has had a playmaking center throughout his career.  I believe his play suffered last year when he no longer had a playmaking center.  (No offense to Vermette.)  It would make sense that if you put Perry on a line without a center who is typically a playmaker, Perry will have less passes coming his way, and he will not score as many goals.  Steel is a playmaker.  As long as he added the muscle this off-season that the staff likely said he needs to add to have a chance to make the team, I'd love to see Perry on a line with Ritche and Steel.  Sam Steel was the WHL PLAYER OF THE YEAR!  Had not only 50 goals but had 81 assists!  81!  Somebody who can pass the way Steel can surely can benefit a player like Perry.

I also would not be surprised to see Max Jones make the team.  We can use a player like him come playoff time, especially against gritty teams like Nashville and Chicago. 

Anyhow, that's my two cents.  Looking forward to seeing how this team shapes up.  Enjoy it.  Should be fun.  GO DUCKS! 

I can absolutely see both Steel and Jones stay with the Ducks for the 9 games before having to decide to send them back to the CHL or burn a year.

I am so excited for Tuesday night and watching Ducks hockey again!

15 hours ago, duck123 said:

So, expect any surprises this year?  I predict Sam Steel will make the team, for a couple of reasons:

1) We will likely be without Kesler to start the season, and will be short a talented center, and

2) I believe Corey Perry's season last year had less to do with decline and more to do with the center he was playing with.

Corey Perry always has had a playmaking center throughout his career.  I believe his play suffered last year when he no longer had a playmaking center.  (No offense to Vermette.)  It would make sense that if you put Perry on a line without a center who is typically a playmaker, Perry will have less passes coming his way, and he will not score as many goals.  Steel is a playmaker.  As long as he added the muscle this off-season that the staff likely said he needs to add to have a chance to make the team, I'd love to see Perry on a line with Ritche and Steel.  Sam Steel was the WHL PLAYER OF THE YEAR!  Had not only 50 goals but had 81 assists!  81!  Somebody who can pass the way Steel can surely can benefit a player like Perry.

I also would not be surprised to see Max Jones make the team.  We can use a player like him come playoff time, especially against gritty teams like Nashville and Chicago. 

Anyhow, that's my two cents.  Looking forward to seeing how this team shapes up.  Enjoy it.  Should be fun.  GO DUCKS! 

You called Nashville gritty. Funny.

I'm skeptical that Jones and\or Steel will make the team this year. Maximum they will get their cup of coffee nine games as Squitman pointed out. GMBM is notorious for taking the slow approach to rookies, so barring an emergency, we will plug holes with rentals and used players, or people who spent at least a year on the Gulls first.

All that said, still very excited for the TC and giddy to see which rookies make it till December.

9 hours ago, Aksun said:

I'm skeptical that Jones and\or Steel will make the team this year. Maximum they will get their cup of coffee nine games as Squitman pointed out. GMBM is notorious for taking the slow approach to rookies, so barring an emergency, we will plug holes with rentals and used players, or people who spent at least a year on the Gulls first.

All that said, still very excited for the TC and giddy to see which rookies make it till December.

The only thing in Steel's favor is the fact that Kesler is out for a few months and we don't have huge depth at center. Otherwise I don't want to beat a dead horse, but unless Steel has put on a ton of muscle over the summer he's going to struggle a little but against the big boys and I can't see him sticking around for long at this stage.

Jones has a more NHL ready frame but we are flush with wings and I'm not sure it's worth keeping him with the team to have him play 4th line minutes.

Reading up and see few vids....Happy that Ducks are gathering and everyone is eager to Start. There will be some Young Ducks getting some long looks due to absence a few Ducks Veterans.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

22 hours ago, nieder said:

The only thing in Steel's favor is the fact that Kesler is out for a few months and we don't have huge depth at center. Otherwise I don't want to beat a dead horse, but unless Steel has put on a ton of muscle over the summer he's going to struggle a little but against the big boys and I can't see him sticking around for long at this stage.

Jones has a more NHL ready frame but we are flush with wings and I'm not sure it's worth keeping him with the team to have him play 4th line minutes.

If Raks starts in the middle then there is definitely an opening on LW, possibly even a top-6 role if Cogs is put in a 3rd line checking role while Kesler is out. I would also be more than good with Jones getting a cup of coffee on the 4th line to start the season. A month's worth of games of 8-10 minutes per night at the NHL level will do more for his development than a month in juniors IMO. I hope he earns a spot out of camp.

On 9/15/2017 at 0:31 PM, nieder said:

From what I saw of Steel in the rookie games, he needs to get much stronger on the puck.
Yeah, he had those 2 goals in a game but one of those was with about 3 seconds left in a blowout.
Then again, would he really benefit from another year in the CHL? Perhaps one of you can clarify but I believe the rule is that he cannot play in the AHL until he is 20 and if he starts in juniors he needs to stay there for the year or until his 20th B day. That will not be until  Feb. 2018.

On 9/14/2017 at 2:42 PM, duck123 said:

Good observation and views there my Ducks Fan Brethern.... SO It BEGINS and with the Gathering of the Ducks there is that Feeling of Joy,Optimism and Happiness not to mention WE are 19 Days away till our Anaheim Ducks will be UNLEASHED. As for Max Jones I agree it would not surprise me IF he makes the team....besides Remember Fowler at 19 or Lindholm we expected they be assigned to another year of Junior but Ducks felt otherwise.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:10 AM, DucksFan_08 said:

You called Nashville gritty. Funny.

Oh, I meant Edmonton.  Not Nashville.  Lol. 

Alot of good things I see at Ducks Training Camp aka Gathering of the Ducks. It won't be long till Preseason starts.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Ducks lost their first pre season game against the Sharks. By a good 5-0 butt whooping. I think the Ducks had three regular roster players along with the Sharks. Two of those six players were Boll and Bollig... So yah...

Sharks won the shot and faceoff differential. Ducks significantly out hit the Sharks as well with blocked shots in Anaheims favor. The blocked shots doesn't bode well when the Sharks were already out shooting them. Seems like the Sharks carried the play more than not. Pre-season, onto the next game!

[edit] I didn't watch the game, I'm inferring from the boxscore. Which is generally a fools errand. But that's my take from something I couldn't watch and heard nothing about.

Tonite Maybe We will get a Better result when our Ducks make their Preseason 2017 debut at the Ponda.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

So, Max Jones scored a goal in yesterday's game and led all forwards in ice time!  Also, supposedly he had an advanced 200-foot game.  As for Steel, looks like he played decent as well.  Steel got tons of power-play time, as well as winning 74% of faceoff draws.  Steel was 2nd to only Perry in power play time.  Perry had 5 minutes and 34 seconds in power play time.  Steel had 5 minutes and 20 seconds in power play time.  Giovanni Fiore was next, with 4 minutes and 23 seconds of power play time.  Jones seems to fit right into the Ducks system.  And I think Steel will get there.  He wins faceoffs.  Has tons of skill and speed.  Can likely improve our power-play.  And if given the chance to play on a line with Perry and Ritchie/Jones, I think he can thrive as well.

I am hoping both make the team.  I think Max Jones will, for sure.  Type of player Coach Carlyle wants on the team, and he had a lot of good things to say about his performance last night.   I also think that, IF given the chance, Steel would play great on a line with Perry.  We'll see if he gets that chance.  Hopefully he makes the team as well.

GO DUCKS! 

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

So, Max Jones scored a goal in yesterday's game and led all forwards in ice time!  Also, supposedly he had an advanced 200-foot game.  As for Steel, looks like he played decent as well.  Steel got tons of power-play time, as well as winning 74% of faceoff draws.  Steel was 2nd to only Perry in power play time.  Perry had 5 minutes and 34 seconds in power play time.  Steel had 5 minutes and 20 seconds in power play time.  Giovanni Fiore was next, with 4 minutes and 23 seconds of power play time.  Jones seems to fit right into the Ducks system.  And I think Steel will get there.  He wins faceoffs.  Has tons of skill and speed.  Can likely improve our power-play.  And if given the chance to play on a line with Perry and Ritchie/Jones, I think he can thrive as well.

I am hoping both make the team.  I think Max Jones will, for sure.  Type of player Coach Carlyle wants on the team, and he had a lot of good things to say about his performance last night.   I also think that, IF given the chance, Steel would play great on a line with Perry.  We'll see if he gets that chance.  Hopefully he makes the team as well.

GO DUCKS! 

Did you watch the game or is this going off stats? Not accusing or anything, just wondering.

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Did you watch the game or is this going off stats? Not accusing or anything, just wondering.

I did not actually watch the game.  Lol.  Did you?  If so, how did they look?  I, unfortunately, rarely get to watch the games since moved to the East Coast last year.  Might have to buy the package online so I can watch games this year. 

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

I did not actually watch the game.  Lol.  Did you?  If so, how did they look?  I, unfortunately, rarely get to watch the games since moved to the East Coast last year.  Might have to buy the package online so I can watch games this year. 

No I didn't see any of it. Based on the scorelines I'm kinda glad I haven't seen either of the games so far. Lol.

2 minutes ago, nieder said:

No I didn't see any of it. Based on the scorelines I'm kinda glad I haven't seen either of the games so far. Lol.

Lol.  Yeah.  Hopefully in 14 days our team is ready to score a bunch of goals on opening night...

6 hours ago, duck123 said:

Lol.  Yeah.  Hopefully in 14 days our team is ready to score a bunch of goals on opening night...

Let's Hope If we remember well Ducks lack of scoring lead to a slow start. Better like to see the Dominate as they did when I attended their 20th anniversary Home Opener vs NYR where they Dominate and Destroy them Completely.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

7 hours ago, nieder said:

Eh, preseason is preseason, it's like Whose Lines Is it Anyway? Everything is made up and the points don't matter :P I'd rather have them lose every game in the preseason than over work and injure themselves. Use the preseason to get into regular season mood. Work on things, and get warmed up but just don't hurt yourself!

13 hours ago, duck123 said:

GO DUCKS! 

And just like that Antoine Laganiere is forgotten 

What's up with Josh Mahura. I'm a little uninformed on the guy. Didn't hear much about him until about midway through last season. Hows he doing and what does he bring to the table?

11 hours ago, RobD360 said:

And just like that Antoine Laganiere is forgotten 

Lol.  Don't be surprised to see him get a call-up some time this season, if we have injuries, and for him to do well in the system.  He led The Gulls in goal scoring last season, with 21 goals.  (Tied with Corey Tropp.)  We'll see what happens.  Maybe it just took him a while to get adjusted to the professional systems.  But, if he continues to lead The Gulls in goal scoring again this season, it would make sense to call him up to the big club if we have an injury.  After all, why wouldn't The Ducks call up a player that is leading their minor league in scoring, who is 6'4", can skate real fast, has skill, etc.? We'll see if he repeats his success for the Gulls in the goal scoring department and finally gets the call-up.  (That is, if he doesn't make the Big Club out of training camp.  Lol.)  Plus, he's still only 27 years old.  Let's remember that Chris Kunitz did not score his first NHL goal until he was 26 years old.  Now he has FOUR Stanley Cups, and has consistently played on top lines with players like Getzlaf, Perry, Crosby, etc.  Just saying.  Lol.  GO DUCKS! 

10 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Has anyone who has been to any practices or went to the game on Wednesday noticed Perry?  How is he skating?

I know he had an assist in the lone goal we scored in 2 games. Gonna try and catch the game tonight against the Queens. Although most of the team in in China, so I guess its against the Princesses

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

^^ Isn't Laganiere playing in Finland?

Elite Prospects has him in Finland.