The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nieder

2017-2018 Injuries

27 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

Bieska healthy scratched tonight. There’s a wrinkle.

The hockey gods finally throw us a bone. It’s a glint, a glimmer of positive things to come. I will light a few candles and recite a couple of incantations to the thy hockey gods tonight that they deliver us to the kingdom of Cups and rockstars. Amen 

49 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

Bieska healthy scratched tonight. There’s a wrinkle.

Step1 of the "get Bieksa to waive his no-trade" plan....

:ph34r:

19 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

Gibson also injured?

He is  from what Eric Stephens has reported he is once ice going through on Drills at Practice. Injury is Upper Body. I won't lie but It sucks our Ducks do not have some core members in the group that can bring us to the Top of NHL West.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 10/13/2017 at 6:38 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Step1 of the "get Bieksa to waive his no-trade" plan....

:ph34r:

Apparently Bieksa is the heart and soul of this team. :lol:

Last night was... Ugh. If they play like that again without him, Bieksa needs to be in Hart Trophy consideration. 

Even the towel boy got injured last night. Talk about the injury bug. 

Seriously, I don’t think there as ever been another year where we have been out with so many key players

Sheesh, I assume its the same injury that kept him out of pre-season and the first couple games.  Has anyone heard what exactly it is (I fear yet another sports hernia but hopefully not), other than "lower body"?

17 minutes ago, nieder said:

Gibson made it through the entire practice yesterday, Getz didn't skate. 

As good as Berra was, I would let Gibson rest an extra couple of days.  He’s been getting plastered with a lot of shots.

5 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Even the towel boy got injured last night. Talk about the injury bug. 

Seriously, I don’t think there as ever been another year where we have been out with so many key players

I was only able to listen to the Av's game on radio but it seemed to me that Colorado was taking runs at Ducks  players, goalies in particular. I guess they feel they have to resort to goon tactics to win after the disaster of a season they had last year.

Injury bug is NOT what I want our Ducks to go through...But IF that is the case I would want the Young Guns to step up...Fill the Void.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

We still have 2 of our top 3 defensemen and 3 of our top 6 forwards out injured....if we can get to the end of the month at .500 it will be a success.

31 minutes ago, nieder said:

We still have 2 of our top 3 defensemen and 3 of our top 6 forwards out injured....if we can get to the end of the month at .500 it will be a success.

I agree but that is a pretty big IF at this point. We lucked out with so many home games to start this season and against teams, except for one (Calgary), that missed the playoffs last season. Not only are we not taking advantage of that, but are getting embarrassed in the process. Plus, the team still has the same problems and is as inconsistent as it was last season when it iced it's full line-up.

These injuries have to heal fast otherwise this isn't going to end well. We're losing (home) games against teams we should beat any day of the week and twice on sunday.

10 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Plus, the team still has the same problems and is as inconsistent as it was last season when it iced it's full line-up.

The team made it to the WCF with injuries and got more during it.  These are not the same problems.

This is Silf having to hold back on his forechecl because the linemate that allows him to do it is out.  This is Grant being a key piece to our second PP.  This is Perry without the guys who know his movements.

14 hours ago, nieder said:

AGREE  -  I have to keep telling myself that the team that I am seeing IS NOT the team that WILL BE playing at the critical time !! Our guys will be back fairly soon and HEALTHY  - they will be better RESTED at playoff time.   .500 would be a very nice place to start from and I am PREDICTING that we will WIN ANOTHER CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP - and we will be in the SC FINALS.

OF THIS I AM CERTAIN !!! 

GO DUCKS !!!!

I fear Kase has concussion symptoms.  I suppose it could be neck related or maybe even infection related, but the lack of info (I haven't really searched hard) worries me.  I haven't been able to track down video of the hit that took him out, but I remember it being to the head and not called.

Eaves and Getz - oof.  Eaves' sounds like a nagging ankle or knee issue that he just can't get over, which sucks.  Getz... if it's the sports hernia thing again I'm going to throw the season in the dumpster fire.  I could see a muscle tear and wanting him to heal through it, but this is not the machine we had last season.  

Miller - was there a gigantic brawl in spring practice and a bunch of guys got speared in the ballsack or something?  WTF.  Or, as someone else mentioned, do we have a bulls. strength and conditioning coach who pushed everyone too hard and we're screwed for the rest of the season.

The rest of the IR are recovering from actual surgery we know about.  I hope they're getting better treatment than our supposedly healthy members are getting.

Huh, just listing what's going on is making me fearful and angry.  Either the team is purposefully taking it easy these first few games, or we're having the WORST run of luck ever.  I mean, after last season, did the team not think the other teams weren't going to go head hunting early?  I'd certainly be discussing with the referee teams every chance I got.

<head explodes>

4 hours ago, gotchabari said:

The team made it to the WCF with injuries and got more during it.  These are not the same problems.

This is Silf having to hold back on his forechecl because the linemate that allows him to do it is out.  This is Grant being a key piece to our second PP.  This is Perry without the guys who know his movements.

Even without injuries, the Ducks were still extremely inconsistent last season and in seasons past. You don't know what team is going to show up in any given period while taking too many penalties and having a lackluster power play. Those problems are worse now, but they are not new along with getting pucks out of our own zone and not being able to have enough goal scoring. Injuries are definitely an issue, but I think that they are exposing flaws that we have had for a while and haven't addressed.

8 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Even without injuries, the Ducks were still extremely inconsistent last season and in seasons past.

I just can't agree to the word "extremely".  We have very high expectations, so we can overreact at times, which is fine.

We need to use reality to pull us back down to earth.  A team that is "extremely inconsistent" doesn't make the conference finals.  I'm sorry they just don't.

Inconsistent?  Sure.  Any team that doesn't win the Cup is to a degree, but the degree lessens the closer you get to said Cup.

The extremes that exist presently are not related.  It'd be nice to see the lower centers step up, but they haven't, which is why they're lower centers.  Opponents are able to match us up to an extreme degree, and it shows.

Occasionally we've had a nice period or so during a game, but that is the exception.   It is not the norm that they aren't otherwise living up to.  

11 hours ago, Fisix said:

I fear Kase has concussion symptoms.  I suppose it could be neck related or maybe even infection related, but the lack of info (I haven't really searched hard) worries me.  I haven't been able to track down video of the hit that took him out, but I remember it being to the head and not called.

Eaves and Getz - oof.  Eaves' sounds like a nagging ankle or knee issue that he just can't get over, which sucks.  Getz... if it's the sports hernia thing again I'm going to throw the season in the dumpster fire.  I could see a muscle tear and wanting him to heal through it, but this is not the machine we had last season.  

Miller - was there a gigantic brawl in spring practice and a bunch of guys got speared in the ballsack or something?  WTF.  Or, as someone else mentioned, do we have a bulls. strength and conditioning coach who pushed everyone too hard and we're screwed for the rest of the season.

The rest of the IR are recovering from actual surgery we know about.  I hope they're getting better treatment than our supposedly healthy members are getting.

Huh, just listing what's going on is making me fearful and angry.  Either the team is purposefully taking it easy these first few games, or we're having the WORST run of luck ever.  I mean, after last season, did the team not think the other teams weren't going to go head hunting early?  I'd certainly be discussing with the referee teams every chance I got.

<head explodes>

I think this idea that it's something to do with coaching is bunk. It's just bad luck. Remember 3 of the guys that are out are out due to off season surgery. 1 is injury prone. This is just bad luck that it's all happening at once. 

Honestly it may be a good think in the end of we have a fresher team heading into the playoffs. I also don't think the team has looked that terrible considering the roster. A lot of teams with this many injuries would be losing every game 5-0. 

On ‎16‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 5:54 AM, nieder said:

I happy about every point they takes till they have so many injured players.

I hope, it would be good for the younger guys behind, who now take more ice time and responsibility, maybe that will help for the future for some of this guys.

in Switzerland 2 years ago SC Bern had also many injured, qualified for the last and 8 place for the Playoffs, then in the Playoffs all Players were back and they became Champion...

11 hours ago, gotchabari said:

I just can't agree to the word "extremely".  We have very high expectations, so we can overreact at times, which is fine.

We need to use reality to pull us back down to earth.  A team that is "extremely inconsistent" doesn't make the conference finals.  I'm sorry they just don't.

Inconsistent?  Sure.  Any team that doesn't win the Cup is to a degree, but the degree lessens the closer you get to said Cup.

The extremes that exist presently are not related.  It'd be nice to see the lower centers step up, but they haven't, which is why they're lower centers.  Opponents are able to match us up to an extreme degree, and it shows.

Occasionally we've had a nice period or so during a game, but that is the exception.   It is not the norm that they aren't otherwise living up to.  

I don't think it's an overreaction when the team has had Stanley Cup Final expectations for the last several seasons and hasn't gotten there, It's frustration, made even more frustrating by the fact that the team has not changed it's personnel or style to address it.  When I say that the team is extremely inconsistent, it's because of the wild swings in their play during games which is far too common. It's been a problem since Boudreau. We start to play much better after we start trailing, (How do you think they got the name "The.Comeback Kids?" lol) It is exciting but you're not getting to the Final or winning it all by playing that way.

Right now, the amount of injuries we have rivals the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. There is no need to panic yet so early into the season but they have to hold it down better than they are now. At least just so that we have some breathing room and lessen chance of having to pull a 2015-2016 type run again.

On 10/15/2017 at 8:54 PM, nieder said:

I agree...except i would go as far as not only would it be a success...it's a necessity.

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I don't think it's an overreaction when the team has had Stanley Cup Final expectations for the last several seasons and hasn't gotten there, It's frustration, made even more frustrating by the fact that the team has not changed it's personnel or style to address it.  When I say that the team is extremely inconsistent, it's because of the wild swings in their play during games which is far too common. It's been a problem since Boudreau. We start to play much better after we start trailing, (How do you think they got the name "The.Comeback Kids?" lol) It is exciting but you're not getting to the Final or winning it all by playing that way.

Right now, the amount of injuries we have rivals the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. There is no need to panic yet so early into the season but they have to hold it down better than they are now. At least just so that we have some breathing room and lessen chance of having to pull a 2015-2016 type run again.

It's been a problem since longer than that. We had rough Octobers in 2009-10 (4-6-2) and 2010-11 (4-7-1) when RC was here too, and our team's inconsistency got him fired two months into the 2011-12 season (7-13-4 at that point). We were also just 3-4-2 last October, so honestly this is just another typical start to a Ducks season with Carlyle at the helm. Sure, we have more serious injuries to blame this time around. But Carlyle-coached Ducks teams just start the season slow. It is what it is. Hopefully November will get  better when some of our best players start returning.

On 10/16/2017 at 2:40 PM, DUCKSDOC said:

AGREE  -  I have to keep telling myself that the team that I am seeing IS NOT the team that WILL BE playing at the critical time !! Our guys will be back fairly soon and HEALTHY  - they will be better RESTED at playoff time.   .500 would be a very nice place to start from and I am PREDICTING that we will WIN ANOTHER CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP - and we will be in the SC FINALS.

OF THIS I AM CERTAIN !!! 

GO DUCKS !!!!

Let's be honest what we see is our Ducks going through a slump...without our Core players Ducks depth is stepping up as we step...Yes they could have done better and we including myself expected More from them in contributing to "Ducks Cause". Kesler,Lindholm,Vatanen all recovering while Getz is day-to-day...I hope we see this team turn it around...They have done it before and will do it again.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck