ZTHER

Kings Catch All - 8

1,397 posts in this topic

Ilya Kovalchuk agreed to terms on a three-year contract with the Los Angeles Kings on Saturday.

1 person likes this

On 6/23/2018 at 6:59 PM, DucksProg said:

Ilya Kovalchuk agreed to terms on a three-year contract with the Los Angeles Kings on Saturday.

I'll vomit to this. He shoulda stayed in SKA.

Kings had Max Pacioretty 

The belief is that there was a deal in place with the Los Angeles Kings for Max Pacioretty, and that it didn’t get done because there wasn’t the ability to get a contract extension done,” McKenzie told TSN Radio Montreal 690. “And obviously complicating things was that, as I understand it, the contract offer that Pacioretty got went through his agent, Pat Brisson, on Friday and by Saturday morning, Max Pacioretty had changed agents, and had gone to Allan Walsh.

58 minutes ago, Jiggy2win said:

Kings had Max Pacioretty 

The belief is that there was a deal in place with the Los Angeles Kings for Max Pacioretty, and that it didn’t get done because there wasn’t the ability to get a contract extension done,” McKenzie told TSN Radio Montreal 690. “And obviously complicating things was that, as I understand it, the contract offer that Pacioretty got went through his agent, Pat Brisson, on Friday and by Saturday morning, Max Pacioretty had changed agents, and had gone to Allan Walsh.

Woah!! What?! Who were they giving up? Kovalchuk??? Carter? Isn't something like a contract extension like one of the easier things to figure out if everything else is a done deal??

15 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Woah!! What?! Who were they giving up? Kovalchuk??? Carter? Isn't something like a contract extension like one of the easier things to figure out if everything else is a done deal??

Perhaps Max decided to look and see what LA was like and if he didn't like it - bail out of it for some sane team like NYR or Tampa or whatever. Kings didn't like it.

18 hours ago, Jiggy2win said:

Kings had Max Pacioretty 

Hahaha! That's one way to have a NMC without having an actual NMC. Cancel a sign n' trade by firing your representation.

Brisson: "Hey Patches, we're finally getting you out of Montreal"

Patches: "No joshing?"

Brisson: "I even lined you up a contract. I know, right!? New team, new contract, I just need your mark and we're set."

Patches: "Wow! Where to?"

Brisson: "LA"

Patches: ...

Patches: "I'll call you in the morning."

Edited by poum
3 people like this

5 hours ago, poum said:

Hahaha! That's one way to have a NMC without having an actual NMC. Cancel a sign n' trade by firing your representation.

Brisson: "Hey Patches, we're finally getting you out of Montreal"

Patches: "No joshing?"

Brisson: "I even lined you up a contract. I know, right!? New team, new contract, I just need your mark and we're set."

Patches: "Wow! Where to?"

Brisson: "Doesn't matter."

Patches: "Wait, where am I going?"

Brisson: "Doesn't matter, just sign the paper!"

Patches: "What's that your finger is covering?"

Brisson: "Nothing. Don't -- stop! Stop grabbing the paper!"

Patches: (struggling) "No! Move your finger!"

Brisson: "No! Stop! It's not worth it! Don't look! Just sign!"

(struggle till finger is removed revealing the team)

Patches: ...

Patches: "I'll call you in the morning."

Edited :P 

1 person likes this

aa0cbb744934f73cb955ea7ad4ed2387_bigger.Darren DregerVerified account @DarrenDreger
FollowFollow @DarrenDreger
More

Darren Dreger Retweeted Pierre LeBrun

Sounds like aav will be around $11 million.

Darren Dreger added,

Pierre LeBrunVerified account @PierreVLeBrun
Kings and Drew Doughty put in the finishing touches today. Expect an announcement from the LA Kings later today on an 8-year contract for the star defenceman.
3:35 PM - 29 Jun 2018

4 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:
aa0cbb744934f73cb955ea7ad4ed2387_bigger.Darren DregerVerified account @DarrenDreger
FollowFollow @DarrenDreger
More

Darren Dreger Retweeted Pierre LeBrun

Sounds like aav will be around $11 million.

Darren Dreger added,

Pierre LeBrunVerified account @PierreVLeBrun
Kings and Drew Doughty put in the finishing touches today. Expect an announcement from the LA Kings later today on an 8-year contract for the star defenceman.
3:35 PM - 29 Jun 2018

boooooo...

but also, wow! that's A LOT of money

The Kings now have ~$54M in 2020-21 cap space tied up in: 38 year old Ilya Kovalchuk 36 year old Dustin Brown 36 year old Jeff Carter 36 year old Dion Phaneuf 35 year old Jonathan Quick 33 year old Anze Kopitar 33 year old Alec Martinez 31 year old Drew Doughty

https://mobile.twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1012830208473247745?s=19

Ouch. Kings had to keep Doughty but that contract is going to eventually be really bad.

2 people like this

40 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

The Kings now have ~$54M in 2020-21 cap space tied up in: 38 year old Ilya Kovalchuk 36 year old Dustin Brown 36 year old Jeff Carter 36 year old Dion Phaneuf 35 year old Jonathan Quick 33 year old Anze Kopitar 33 year old Alec Martinez 31 year old Drew Doughty

https://mobile.twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1012830208473247745?s=19

Ouch. Kings had to keep Doughty but that contract is going to eventually be really bad.

Ha! Yeah, I was just thinking...would you rather over pay for a good player...or properly pay for some average players?

I'm really curious to see how (if at all) this effects his playing...if he steps up to try and truly be worth this amount or gets crushed by the pressure...OR just stays the same. He's a good defenseman don't get me wrong...but $11 mil/year good?? I dunno...

If it does hold up to be $11M then that's more than Manson and Lindholm combined and it makes Fowler's contract look like pocket change. I wonder how much Karlsson is going to be getting now?

On 6/27/2018 at 9:49 AM, Aksun said:

I'll vomit to this. He shoulda stayed in SKA.

He left early once before.  He might do it again.

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Ha! Yeah, I was just thinking...would you rather over pay for a good player...or properly pay for some average players?

I'm really curious to see how (if at all) this effects his playing...if he steps up to try and truly be worth this amount or gets crushed by the pressure...OR just stays the same. He's a good defenseman don't get me wrong...but $11 mil/year good?? I dunno...

If the Kings didn’t give it to him, someone would have.  He’s an elite player.

3 people like this

32 minutes ago, Fowl said:

If the Kings didn’t give it to him, someone would have.  He’s an elite player.

Oh absolutely agree. But I still think that's essentially overpaying. I mean, to use our team as an example...he's basically being paid the same as we are paying Fowler and Manson combined...at that rate I would want him to be putting up 30 - 40 min a night and averaging 60 - 70 points per season to be playing up to the amount he is being paid. The latter might be possible, actually. But still. I get it. If they didn't do that, they would lose them. That's just a lot of money to be tied up in ONE guy.

But late 20s...he probably still has some elite seasons left.

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

11mill for 8 years!!!! Wow... why am I so happy about this???

I don't know.  I'm not.  I was hoping he'd bolt for the Leafs.

Doughty is an elite d-man.  He's worth that price.  Yes, for the last 3 years it might be a bad deal for the Kings, but in the near future, he's going to continue to be a pain in the rear.  I knew someone would pay him a buttload of money, and I thought it could even be more than that.  I'm ticked it's the Kings.

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

11mill for 8 years!!!! Wow... why am I so happy about this???

Crazy. I guess those comments Doughty made before last season scared the Kings into thinking he would go elsewhere. Seems to have worked. I never thought  Doughty would go anywhere else though, he's a King through and through.

5 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Oh absolutely agree. (1) But I still think that's essentially overpaying. I mean, to use our team as an example...(2) he's basically being paid the same as we are paying Fowler and Manson combined...at that rate (3) I would want him to be putting up 30 - 40 min a night and averaging 60 - 70 points per season to be playing up to the amount he is being paid. The latter might be possible, actually. But still. I get it. If they didn't do that, they would lose them. That's just a lot of money to be tied up in ONE guy.

But late 20s...he probably still has some elite seasons left.

1 - Basically the best 1D on the market. Considering what Kopitar, Toews and Kane made, it's easy enough to see this is the new standard. For better or worse. It's a thing going forward, they had to do it.

2 - Fowler, Lindholm, and Manson signed their contracts while they were RFA's. Doughty has more weight right now as an established UFA to command a premium. (The Eric Karlsson saga should turn into a huge joke real soon now that Ottawas owner knows what the current market price is for his defenseman.)

3 - Doughty led the League in TOI/GP with 26:50. With 6 points shy of your 60 point total on an offensively stunted team. I'm not the biggest +/- fan but sometimes it gives a few laughs. Doughty was +23. Suter (#2 with TOI) was a -1, E. Karlsson (#3 TOI) was -25.

Hate to say it. But the dude deserves it at the current market rate. If you want to argue how stupid the market rate is these days? F-Yeah it is! It's belligerently insane.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, poum said:

1 - Basically the best 1D on the market. Considering what Kopitar, Toews and Kane made, it's easy enough to see this is the new standard. For better or worse. It's a thing going forward, they had to do it.

2 - Fowler, Lindholm, and Manson signed their contracts while they were RFA's. Doughty has more weight right now as an established UFA to command a premium. (The Eric Karlsson saga should turn into a huge joke real soon now that Ottawas owner knows what the current market price is for his defenseman.)

3 - Doughty led the League in TOI/GP with 26:50. With 6 points shy of your 60 point total on an offensively stunted team. I'm not the biggest +/- fan but sometimes it gives a few laughs. Doughty was +23. Suter (#2 with TOI) was a -1, E. Karlsson (#3 TOI) was -25.

Hate to say it. But the dude deserves it at the current market rate. If you want to argue how stupid the market rate is these days? F-Yeah it is! It's belligerently insane.

Yes that is essentially the point I'm making. The market rate is stupidly insane! I completely understand all your points and why the Kings did it -- I was basically just trying to make that point by "semi-jokingly" saying that he better be the literal combination of 2 pretty good defensemen at that price :P I know he's good.

Also for #2 -- I actually forgot that they were all RFAs when they signed. Very good point! And yeah, we're probably gonna be in some difficult positions later when they'll be up for UFA...but yeah. Ottawa is totally screwed lol

And for #3 -- Your use of the +/- stat in this point is actually I think the best way to use it. It's a pretty useful tool when combining with other stats.

So yes I get and agree he is a great 1st D elite defenseman. But he got signed that much money on a team that is already straddled with other dead weight salary. They haven’t really improved other than than getting a 35 yr old Kovi who hasn’t played in the NHL for years. They don’t have enough for anything else. They are basically the same team but carrying more money. Doughty has been on that team for years so nothjng new just more money now spent. I’m happy. 

NMC for Kovalchuk 

Kovalchuk contract structure: $18.75M/3 Years

1)$8.5 ($7.85 SB $650,000 salary)

2)$6.0 ($5.30 SB $700,000 salary)

3)$4.25 salary. NMC

are the signing bonus’ a way of getting around the cap?

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Jiggy2win said:

NMC for Kovalchuk 

Kovalchuk contract structure: $18.75M/3 Years

1)$8.5 ($7.85 SB $650,000 salary)

2)$6.0 ($5.30 SB $700,000 salary)

3)$4.25 salary. NMC

are the signing bonus’ a way of getting around the cap?

That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out.  Checking cap friendly...

Looking at capfriendly, they have the full $11M each year for Tavares, and there was some serious signing bonus shenanigans going on there (i read 900k salary each year, the rest made up by signing bonus).

Here's an article on the topic.  I guess it makes them un-buy-out-able.  It seems to still hit the cap, but the article makes it unclear if it hits at 100% or not.  Capfriendly seems to think signing bonuses hit at 100%.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2016/07/the-signing-bonus-rise-of-the-buyout-proof-contract.html

Edited by Fisix

On 7/1/2018 at 7:18 PM, Fisix said:

Looking at capfriendly, they have the full $11M each year for Tavares, and there was some serious signing bonus shenanigans going on there (i read 900k salary each year, the rest made up by signing bonus).

Here's an article on the topic.  I guess it makes them un-buy-out-able.  It seems to still hit the cap, but the article makes it unclear if it hits at 100% or not.  Capfriendly seems to think signing bonuses hit at 100%.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2016/07/the-signing-bonus-rise-of-the-buyout-proof-contract.html

Yeah. The only real difference is signing bonuses are all paid on July 1 each year. So even if there were a lockout (or they do something stupid like Mike Richards and their contract is terminated) they still get their money for the season on July 1. It all still counts against the cap. 

Reading Gabe Vilardi scratched from the World Junior Showcase due to back issues. That's not the first time he's been unable to skate due to his back. I'm beginning to think that's the reason he fell in the draft. Kid is only 18 and to have reoccurring back problems is not good.

Edited by dukitup

Slava Voynov's now cleared to talk to the NHL teams. Question is will he find a job? #LAKings

Deputy chairman of the SKA board of directors Alexander Medvedev announced this evening that Slava Voynov got permission to return to the NHL

Bill Daly: 'Disciplinary process [for Voynov] is still being discussed'

Edited by DuckFan4Life

6 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Slava Voynov's now cleared to talk to the NHL teams. Question is will he find a job? #LAKings

Deputy chairman of the SKA board of directors Alexander Medvedev announced this evening that Slava Voynov got permission to return to the NHL

Bill Daly: 'Disciplinary process [for Voynov] is still being discussed'

As the NHL continues to review the Slava Voynov situation, if they decide to allow the Russian Dman to return, he will probably face a suspension from the league once given approval to play.  

League, Union and Agent all involved in the process.