Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gorbachav5

Kevin Bieksa seems like a good guy

Recommended Posts

I know we all justifiably rip on the guy for his play on the ice, but there's no doubt he's giving everything he has out there.  And off the ice, he seems like a genuinely good person.  We've heard about his character in the locker room, and we've seen those funny videos where he pranks the team, but I read this piece today and I felt like I had to share it.  In this day and age, you never know, of course, if there's a difference between the public persona and what has gone on behind closed doors.  It's still a great thing to be able to share a sad, but important story about someone trying to make the world a better place.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kevin-bieksa-will-never-stop-talking-rick-rypien/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I know we all justifiably rip on the guy for his play on the ice, but there's no doubt he's giving everything he has out there.  And off the ice, he seems like a genuinely good person.  We've heard about his character in the locker room, and we've seen those funny videos where he pranks the team, but I read this piece today and I felt like I had to share it.  In this day and age, you never know, of course, if there's a difference between the public persona and what has gone on behind closed doors.  It's still a great thing to be able to share a sad, but important story about someone trying to make the world a better place.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kevin-bieksa-will-never-stop-talking-rick-rypien/

I couldn't agree more....Let's be honest as much as we rip into Bieksa he has and always been a Good Guy with a Good Heart for a good cause to his heart.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I know we all justifiably rip on the guy for his play on the ice, but there's no doubt he's giving everything he has out there.  And off the ice, he seems like a genuinely good person.  We've heard about his character in the locker room, and we've seen those funny videos where he pranks the team, but I read this piece today and I felt like I had to share it.  In this day and age, you never know, of course, if there's a difference between the public persona and what has gone on behind closed doors.  It's still a great thing to be able to share a sad, but important story about someone trying to make the world a better place.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kevin-bieksa-will-never-stop-talking-rick-rypien/

Saw him outside the Honda Center today. He was talking with staff but he still stopped and said hi to us on the way past. Seems like a nice guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing. I had no idea.

Say about him what you want but Bieksa is a warrior. He's not the most talented, maybe age is catching up with him but he's as tough as they come and always stands up for his teammates. To do it on the ice is one thing, to do it off is something else. He's just a great person.

And I really liked what he brought in The Playoffs last year. Couldn't have been easy for him being surrounded by for 4 guys who had a combined Playoffs experience of a whopping 10 games. I think it was in the calgary series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said hello to him at the San Diego Zoo.  He was walking right at me he was with his family and I froze and said heyyyy bieksa.  It was awkward because i had 1 second to react.  I had no idea what to say to the guy, but yeah he seems like a great guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I know we all justifiably rip on the guy for his play on the ice, but there's no doubt he's giving everything he has out there.  And off the ice, he seems like a genuinely good person.  We've heard about his character in the locker room, and we've seen those funny videos where he pranks the team, but I read this piece today and I felt like I had to share it.  In this day and age, you never know, of course, if there's a difference between the public persona and what has gone on behind closed doors.  It's still a great thing to be able to share a sad, but important story about someone trying to make the world a better place.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kevin-bieksa-will-never-stop-talking-rick-rypien/

Good article with a powerful story. As with all other articles I read, I like reading the comments too. Looks to be a lot of love for Kevin in Van still. Good to hear how he still positively affecting people who follow the sport and around him. This does shine a special light on him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We forget sometimes Ducks Hockey Players are human like us....His Goal of truly letting people be affected by his positive outlook is something I am glad to see. We need more of that.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canucks fans still love the guy.  KB3 does a lot of stuff like an old time hockey guy would.   I’ve grown to really like him.  

Rick Rypien was one tough customer.  Fearless pound for pound he was one of the toughest in the game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2017 at 3:26 AM, Fowl said:

Canucks fans still love the guy.  KB3 does a lot of stuff like an old time hockey guy would.   I’ve grown to really like him.  

Rick Rypien was one tough customer.  Fearless pound for pound he was one of the toughest in the game.  

They were close friends and  you gotta give Bieksa credit for doing what he can for Mental Health.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Bieksa did a SportsNet interview after the game. Asked what he and Tkachuk were talking about on the ice. He said, "It's like talking to my 10 year old."  LOL

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hours-kevin-bieksa/

LOL...Thats Hockey Players for ya. Bieksa has been one of the Ducks Best off the ice.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

2. Kevin Bieksa, who said on the 31 Thoughts podcast that he is not retired, will represent Canada at the Spengler Cup.

So...our D looks significantly worse this year than last...could Bieksa have been doing more than we thought? And Beauch? Maybe something about their presence made the younger guys play differently? ...possibly play better 'cause they had no choice? lol ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

2. Kevin Bieksa, who said on the 31 Thoughts podcast that he is not retired, will represent Canada at the Spengler Cup.

Poor fella.

Was one of us supposed to tell him?  I feel like we've dropped the ball, here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How sad.  almost like he's saying..."there is a rumor going around that I'm retired.  Well, I'm not!  And that rumor is the reason nobody has called trying to sign me.  I hope that clears up any confusion.  I'll be sitting next to my phone for the next several months, just in case it rings."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

So...our D looks significantly worse this year than last...could Bieksa have been doing more than we thought? And Beauch? Maybe something about their presence made the younger guys play differently? ...possibly play better 'cause they had no choice? lol ...

I don't recall Larson playing with Bieksa or Beauch, Pettersson was traded, Bieksa was benched for all but one playoff game in favor of Welinski and Mahura wasn't even around for Bieksa or Beauch. So nah, I think getting rid of Yawney had more of an impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

How sad.  almost like he's saying..."there is a rumor going around that I'm retired.  Well, I'm not!  And that rumor is the reason nobody has called trying to sign me.  I hope that clears up any confusion.  I'll be sitting next to my phone for the next several months, just in case it rings."

He has an agent, no?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...