Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Myuyum

Is there any hope for officiating ?

49 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Serious debate here and I hope to keep it civilized. Is there anything than can be done to save the game from being a lottery based on zebras ? I am not paranoid but how far are we to discover a corruption ring in NHL (just kidding.)

When you see how many points/goals are given based on terrible officiating mistakes throughout the season, it's alarming.  I mean look tonight 2/1, Boston scores on that :

Vegas scores on that (so far the gwg) : 

https://www.nhl.com/video/haula-nets-sly-ppg/t-293640326/c-57257103

Neal literally slashes and breaks his stick on Hellebuyck's mask.

And the Ducks got properly jobbed on Wagner's call, triggering an unfortunate series of events leading to 1-0 Sens. The 3/4 calls forgotten end of regulation for the Ducks (Interference on Manson, Slash high/stick on Kase, Tripping on Lindholm) not given lead to another PPG in OT, costing us a point. 

This is only a small sample on 3 games tonight. It is exhausting to see a game I love since I'm able to love anything being manipulated by the zebras. I see people already raising pitchforks and writing "but all teams have bad calls against them", fine, some more than others I'd say, but in what world does that justify piddle poor officiating ?

I for one understand it's not an easy job, but with all the videos accessible and Toronto on call, why don't we have more quick reviews on actions that directly impact the score sheet ? What is wrong with all the inconsistencies in this game ? I mean I'm not even sure what is goalie interference anymore. Is Harvey Dent throwing his coin in backstage to decide overturn or not ?

Another thing that drives me mad, what is this omerta about all these litigious plays never shown on "on the fly" and on videos or never discussed anywhere more than "yeah well tough" in post game interview. Politically correct in hockey has a too big place nowadays, can't say a word or you get fined. Can't contest anything. 

I seriously hate that. Officiating has way too much power, and coming back to corruption, it's pretty easy to think people would use anything to make money these days. I mean overall humans are trash :P

*tinfoil hat off*

4 people like this

Officiating makes me sick.  It ruins the game.  The ducks more often than not have to kill a penalty in virtually every game with 5 or less minutes to play.  That can't be a mistake...

How is what neal did NOT a penalty???  Jeez.  He broke his stick on the guy.  And it's not interference????  What the heck?

Just watched the replay of the Ducks v OTT and I now know why RC was so upset with the Henrique high sticking penalty late in the game.
There was obvious embellishment on the play that went undetected. I mean the guy gets grazed on the shield but grabs at his face and flings himself to the ice like he got hit by a train. Very Forsberg-esque.

2 people like this

Great. From Hellebuyck's comments, it sounds like he's taking up Jonathon Quicks school of thought. Be loud and and obnoxious and thrash around in canniption fits. Yet another reason to hate James Neal. 

Also, HFboards is also littered today with double-u-tee-eff officiating threads. 

It was a special night for everyone. 

35 minutes ago, poum said:

Great. From Hellebuyck's comments, it sounds like he's taking up Jonathon Quicks school of thought. Be loud and and obnoxious and thrash around in canniption fits. Yet another reason to hate James Neal. 

Also, HFboards is also littered today with double-u-tee-eff officiating threads. 

While I don't like the approach, I like that Hellebuyck is calling it out.  Hey, you want to get diving out of the game?  Then call it when a guy whacks me over the head with a stick.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

While I don't like the approach, I like that Hellebuyck is calling it out.  Hey, you want to get diving out of the game?  Then call it when a guy whacks me over the head with a stick.

Diving or not, that crap needs to be called for 2 min, and the goal disallowed. Diving is not directly related to the situation, but this is a very upsetting trend that has players calling out the league and suggesting diving as a workaround - it's just ridiculous.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love how the Jets organization responded. James Neal is a total... Words I can't use on this forum.

I really like hellebuyck's response. 100% correct. No politically correct bs. Just call it what it is. A disgrace.

12 hours ago, poum said:

I don’t necessarily think that he’s saying he’s going to be Quick or a Pred about it, just that if you get wacked in the face with a stick so hard their stick breaks, guess you have to react like it to get a call. 

Remember when Neal tried jabbing his stick into Gibson's facemask during a break in play? Not really on topic here but I'm so sick of this clown being paraded around as some sort of hero because of the season Vegas is having when the reality is he's one of the most gutless players to ever lace them up. 

3 people like this

The Slug is one of the most despicable player for me, close behind Forsberg.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Aksun said:

Diving or not, that crap needs to be called for 2 min, and the goal disallowed. Diving is not directly related to the situation, but this is a very upsetting trend that has players calling out the league and suggesting diving as a workaround - it's just ridiculous.

The Jets players are right of course. It's ridiculous, the refs are missing blatant calls and cannot even get it right with video review. If Hellebuyck had taken a big dive there I'm betting the call on the ice is no goal. Getting such obvious calls wrong does encourage more players to dive. Considering the league has done nothing to combat repeat divers like Forsberg and Brown there is very little disincentive. 

Edited by nieder
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I don’t necessarily think that he’s saying he’s going to be Quick or a Pred about it, just that if you get wacked in the face with a stick so hard their stick breaks, guess you have to react like it to get a call. 

I was being a tad bit facetious. But Nieder put it more eloquently than I. It encourages this donkey dung. 

A Zebra officating lottery is what the game often comes down to, and it’s up to ownership and the GMs to get the league to straighten it out.  Video replays, suspensions for embellshments (fines have no impact), and officiating reviews/suspensions for bad calls are what is needed.  

Bettman and his “everything is wonderful about the NHL” just isn’t so.  

Edited by Fowl

Another disgrace with Kozari today. The interference given to Vermette... The trip on Getzlaf.. lol.

Not to mention at least 5 calls forgotten in the last 10...

3 people like this

What Henrik Zetterberg had to say: "The inconsistency in this league right now, if it's the refs or it's the guys in Toronto or if it's the suspensions or if it's the fines, it's hard for us as players to know what rules we are playing under."

4 people like this

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

What Henrik Zetterberg had to say: "The inconsistency in this league right now, if it's the refs or it's the guys in Toronto or if it's the suspensions or if it's the fines, it's hard for us as players to know what rules we are playing under."

You know it's bad when Henrik Zetterberg, one of the worst floppers the game has ever seen and captain of the league's favourite team from the last 25+ years is calling out the officiating. 

2 people like this

8 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

5 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

You know it's bad when Henrik Zetterberg, one of the worst floppers the game has ever seen and captain of the league's favourite team from the last 25+ years is calling out the officiating. 

It just illustrates how bad it has gotten.  Case in point, Zetterberg and every other player in the league knows Cogliano got screwed with that suspension. In the same game you have Doughty elbowing Ducks players in the face, then two games later Dustin Brown hits someone and he only gets a fine despite his history of dooshbaggery.

The league is having second thought about video replay because it exposes how biased the refs are when it comes to certain teams.

2 people like this

That Ritchie call for slashing leading to the 3rd Leafs goal  ;)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Myuyum said:

That Ritchie call for slashing leading to the 3rd Leafs goal  ;)

Every night there are at least 2 of those type of calls against us. Usually in crucial moments

The duck players seem to have an idea that they are not going to get called for it.  That is on them.

The problem that I see is that the ducks defense are mostly stick checkers other than Manson.  LIndholm and Fowler are not going to engage physically.  Montour would but he's not big enough.  the other two are aged warriors who would if they could but they are playing out the string. The forwards are the same except for Wagner.  So, the other teams are willing to try to make a play against a stick checking defensemen/forward and when they get past them, the ducks have to take a penalty to make up for their lack of physicality.  Plus the other teams are pretty much fearless of A) getting a penalty and B getting punished for trying.

3 hours ago, Drake12 said:

Good read. I'm surprised to see the players being so outspoken about it. Kesler nails it.

“We have a reputation of a team that plays on the line,” Kesler continued. “That’s unfair. Maybe it’s a precedent that we have. I just don’t know. I think we got to look back in the mirror and put the onus on us, though.

Blaming it all on the officiating is too easy. This team needs to play better plain and simple but I understand where they're coming from. This shouldn't be an issue.

3 people like this

I'm just glad that we the fans are not the only ones seeing the ridiculously skewed officiating, almost exclusively pointed at certain teams.

1 hour ago, Myuyum said:

If only the Ducks (and Zetterberg/Fisher) complain, it's going to be worse.

Crysby and the Habs will never complain. They understand full well they are being favored.

Anaheim Ducks at Buffalo Sabres – 7:00 EST

REFEREES

Steve Kozari #40 Justin St. Pierre #12

1 hour ago, Myuyum said:

Anaheim Ducks at Buffalo Sabres – 7:00 EST

REFEREES

Steve Kozari #40 Justin St. Pierre #12

Yep.  We're screwed.  Maybe it'll be soooo bad that they're fire the refs.