Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Myuyum

Is there any hope for officiating ?

49 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2018 at 1:02 AM, Drake12 said:

It doesn't really come across as crying about unfair bias against the Ducks either. Their comments mirror those of Zetterberg - the players just don't know what is a penalty and what is a suspension because the officials have been so inconsistent. As a fan I have similar feelings on this - it's frustrating to watch a game where there is zero consistency in the officiating. 

8 minutes ago, nieder said:

It doesn't really come across as crying about unfair bias against the Ducks either. Their comments mirror those of Zetterberg - the players just don't know what is a penalty and what is a suspension because the officials have been so inconsistent. As a fan I have similar feelings on this - it's frustrating to watch a game where there is zero consistency in the officiating. 

And that's exactly why I don't buy the argument that Cogliano's hit should have been a suspension anyway because of its nature.  A primary purpose of the DoPS and the suspensions it hands down is to give the players some guidance as to how they are supposed to act during the game.  A penalty?  Don't do that.  A fine?  We really don't like that.  A one- or two-gamer?  That's SUPER BAD.  DON'T.  More than that?  DAMMIT MARCHAND, STOP ELBOWING PEOPLE IN THE HEAD.  

When there's consistency in punishment, players can adjust their playing style to reflect how they're supposed to behave.  Well, some can, others (Dustin Brown) seem not to care.  Maybe knowing that particular play could result in a two-game suspension would have made Cogliano play a bit differently.  Maybe not.  But at least there would be a standard.  Now it's a mystery.  Cogliano gets two games, Brown and Giordano get none, this guy gets three, that guy gets none, this guy gets two because he's a repeat offender, this guy gets none even though he's a repeat offender, etc.  No one knows what they can and can't do!

2 people like this

Anyone watch the Sharks game?  The officials would NOT call Vegas for anything they did and there was a parade to the penalty box by the sharks players.  The coach was not happy.  They let 3 high sticking calls go, a couple of tripping calls, you name it.  The Vegas players dive - a lot.  They are good at drawing penalties I guess.  Pretty crappy.  But the good news is that the sharks lost again.  Ducks have to win and just keep on winning.  Go Ducks.

The officiating in the NHL is a joke.

1 hour ago, hoxxey said:

Anyone watch the Sharks game?  The officials would NOT call Vegas for anything they did and there was a parade to the penalty box by the sharks players.  The coach was not happy.  They let 3 high sticking calls go, a couple of tripping calls, you name it.  The Vegas players dive - a lot.  They are good at drawing penalties I guess.  Pretty crappy.  But the good news is that the sharks lost again.  Ducks have to win and just keep on winning.  Go Ducks.

NHL wants to sell only specific teams and players. Vegas, Pitt, Chicago...the debacle that Calgary and Edmonton are...Detroilet seems to have fallen from grace, though.

On 2/8/2018 at 10:17 PM, hoxxey said:

To be fair for me, after seeing Neal slashing Hellebuyck in the face and breaking his stick on it one second before Haula scores, and seeing it not overturned kinda sealed it.

What do we think about Clutterbuck oscar worthy performance leading to major penalty to Bertuzzi where Isles scores 4 goals on the PP ?

13 hours ago, Myuyum said:

What do we think about Clutterbuck oscar worthy performance leading to major penalty to Bertuzzi where Isles scores 4 goals on the PP ?

I saw the play, and it certainly looked embellished.  What's the general consensus?  Did Bertuzzi get him in a bad spot?  Or was that a dive?

11 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I saw the play, and it certainly looked embellished.  What's the general consensus?  Did Bertuzzi get him in a bad spot?  Or was that a dive?

That was a huge dive. I haven’t seen anything about an embellishment fine which is another joke. The refs must be pretty embarrassed. 

Just gonna say "Haha". Final score 3-2 Ducks. 0 pts. Thanks. Beautiful classic penalty with 3min remaining. Now who wants to bet Chicago is gonna wake up from their slump in 2 days ? :)

1 person likes this

Typical officiating screw up : 

Nothing is going on for Flames during the 25 first minutes of the game against Bruins, something like 18-4 SOG. Refs give a terrible slashing call against Heinen. Flames ties the game and have all the momentum now. 

1 extra point offered by officiating to Kings with a Hooking call against Vegas that actually was a Holding the stick for Vegas. Pathetic.

What's most gauling is that the referees never apologize for not calling obvious penalties nor for calling non existent ones. And the league does not publically reprimand them or fine them.

I watched the game where Wideman was not only boarded, but put through the boards. And as he staggered back to the bench, the ref who refused to call anything, refused to stop play, also impeded his access to the bench... to which Wideman, no doubt in a haze, shoved the ref out of the way. Most will disagree, but I think the ref has himself as much to blame as Wideman.

How about yesterday's game where Domi was on top of Perry and wouldn't let him up - referee was RIGHT there but did nothing and no call.  It was ridiculous 

4 people like this

You were not even in playoffs mode yet April  Myuyum.

1 person likes this

Now that sports gambling will be legal, you can expect all leagues to have worse officiating and more rules with subjective interpretation. You can't have players or coaches throw a game and sleep with a good conscience, but officials are awfully good at point-shaving, and don't feel bad about it at all.

1 person likes this